Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Best Herbicide For Fence Lines #6408860 08/15/16 03:06 PM
fouzman Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
Have an electric fence with grass grown up all around it. What's the best herbicide to knock this stuff down fast? Have sprayers and equipment.

Re: Best Herbicide For Fence Lines [Re: fouzman] #6408865 08/15/16 03:09 PM
S
Stompy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
I just use Roundup on all my fences. I buy it at Tractor supply in the 2.5 gallon jug. I tried their store brand (a little cheaper) and it worked, just not as well as Roundup.

www.jaranchhunting.com
Cabin Rentals on the ranch for Hubbard Creek Lake
Re: Best Herbicide For Fence Lines [Re: fouzman] #6409194 08/15/16 07:37 PM
J
jeffbird Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J
Unless there is a compelling need, avoid Roundup. If you do handle it, make sure to use best practices to avoid skin contact or inhalation. There is evidence building to implicate it as increasing the risk of prostate cancer, which is already a significant risk for men and some, but lesser, evidence associating it with increases in breast cancer.

See the body of the text here (it does not copy and paste very well):

http://www.iarc.fr/en/media-centre/iarcnews/pdf/MonographVolume112.pdf

Here is some general info about cancer and other ag chemicals: http://www.cancer.gov/about-cancer/causes-prevention/risk/ahs-fact-sheet

What have researchers learned so far about farmers and cancer risk?

Most of the cancer research in the AHS has focused on pesticides, which are chemicals used to kill invasive insects, weeds, or small animals. In some cases, relationships between these pesticides and human cancer were examined for the first time in the AHS.

Thus far, researchers have evaluated more than 20 pesticides to determine whether the farmers who use them have increased risks of developing cancer. Some of these analyses have shown that people exposed to certain pesticides have an increased risk of developing certain cancers, but further research is needed to confirm these findings and to evaluate the potential mechanisms by which pesticides might influence cancer risk.

For example, a study from the AHS reported in 2009 that people who use the weed killer imazethapyr have increased risks of bladder cancer and colon cancer. Imazethapyr is in a class of chemicals known as aromatic amines. It was first used in the United States in 1989, and, since then, has been one of the most commonly used herbicides for killing weeds in soybean, dry bean, alfalfa, and other crop fields.

Studies in mice and rats led the EPA to classify imazethapyr as unlikely to be a human carcinogen. But, in the AHS, people with the highest cumulative lifetime exposure had more than twice the risk (137 percent increase in risk) of developing bladder cancer compared with those who had no exposure to the chemical. Similarly, the risk of colon cancer (mostly tumors in the proximal colon, where food enters during digestion) was nearly twice as high as normal (78 percent increased risk) among farmers who had the highest level of exposure compared with those who had no exposure to the chemical.

In addition, a condition called monoclonal gammopathy of undetermined significance (MGUS), which commonly precedes multiple myeloma, was found in blood samples of men in the AHS at twice the rate it was found in blood samples of men in Minnesota who were not part of the AHS cohort. This increased risk of MGUS was observed among men who used the chlorinated insecticide dieldrin, the fumigant mixture carbon-tetrachloride/carbon disulfide, the fungicide chlorothalonil, and possibly other pesticides. Now, a larger study within the AHS is looking more closely at the risk of MGUS with use of specific pesticides.

In 2011, AHS researchers reported an analysis of farmers who use the weed killer atrazine, which is a type of chemical known as a triazine. In this analysis, farmers who used atrazine the most often had a similar overall cancer risk to those who used atrazine the least often, but those with the highest exposures had a slightly increased risk of thyroid cancer. However, the number of cancer cases was too few for the finding to be considered conclusive.

Atrazine causes mammary tumors in rats but is not classified as a carcinogen in humans. Atrazine is an endocrine disruptor—meaning that it interferes with normal hormone signals in the body—as demonstrated in amphibians, birds, and rodents that have been exposed to it at high concentrations.

More information about what researchers have learned about cancer, other health problems, and risk factors among farmers is available in the AHS publications list.

Re: Best Herbicide For Fence Lines [Re: fouzman] #6409200 08/15/16 07:40 PM
S
scalebuster Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
RM43. Nothing will grow back for a year.

Re: Best Herbicide For Fence Lines [Re: fouzman] #6409237 08/15/16 08:00 PM
T
TexasKC Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
I use the 41% stuff with sufactant from Tractor Supply. $54/2.5 gals. It does take a few days longer to work than Roundup but I'm cheap. LOL

In the end, it's not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years.
Re: Best Herbicide For Fence Lines [Re: fouzman] #6409315 08/15/16 08:47 PM
C
cabosandinh Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
i don't believe in chemicals like jeff mentioned above

swimming pool salt will do the trick and it's pretty cheap
$5 for 50 lbs bag

Re: Best Herbicide For Fence Lines [Re: cabosandinh] #6409527 08/15/16 10:44 PM
B
Big_Ag Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: cabosandinh

$5 for 50 lbs bag

Tell me more. How do apply it?

Re: Best Herbicide For Fence Lines [Re: Stompy] #6409712 08/15/16 11:48 PM
A
AvianQuest Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
A
Originally Posted By: Stompy
I just use Roundup on all my fences. I buy it at Tractor supply in the 2.5 gallon jug. I tried their store brand (a little cheaper) and it worked, just not as well as Roundup.

It's absolutely the same thing (41% Glyphosate) and it should work the same as the Roundup brand. It would have to be used side-by-side at the same time to demonstrate that as plant growth stages and weather has its effect.

Re: Best Herbicide For Fence Lines [Re: fouzman] #6409716 08/15/16 11:50 PM
A
AvianQuest Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
A
Originally Posted By: fouzman
Have an electric fence with grass grown up all around it. What's the best herbicide to knock this stuff down fast? Have sprayers and equipment.

Anything that knocks it down fast is just defoliating the leaves and the plant will come back. A herbicide like Roundup (Glyphosate) kills the roots and takes the whole plant down for good.

Re: Best Herbicide For Fence Lines [Re: fouzman] #6409787 08/16/16 12:24 AM
M
Mr. T. Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
I use a product that I get at Tractor Supply...It is 41% Glyphosate, same as Round-up. I also put in about one tea spoon of liquid dish-washing detergent to 15 gallons. It seems to help the product adhere to the weeds better. The main key that I see in killing the plants is to not have rain for at least 8 hours after you spray it so that the plant can absorb it well.

Cabin rental in Pagosa Springs, Co.
Sleeps 10, If interested please PM me.
Re: Best Herbicide For Fence Lines [Re: Mr. T.] #6409945 08/16/16 01:49 AM
A
AvianQuest Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
A
Originally Posted By: Mr. T.
I use a product that I get at Tractor Supply...It is 41% Glyphosate, same as Round-up. I also put in about one tea spoon of liquid dish-washing detergent to 15 gallons. It seems to help the product adhere to the weeds better. The main key that I see in killing the plants is to not have rain for at least 8 hours after you spray it so that the plant can absorb it well.

Both FarmWorks and Pronto are Roundup generics sold by Tractor Supply. But unlike Roundup they already have a surfactant in the mix. Adding more in the form of detergent may be counter productive

Re: Best Herbicide For Fence Lines [Re: cabosandinh] #6410774 08/16/16 04:05 PM
A
Always ready 2 hunt Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
A

$5 for 50 lbs bag

Cabo, how are you applying this?

Re: Best Herbicide For Fence Lines [Re: Always ready 2 hunt] #6410798 08/16/16 04:19 PM
C
cabosandinh Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: Always ready 2 hunt

$5 for 50 lbs bag

Cabo, how are you applying this?

"

$5 for 50 lbs bag

Tell me more. How do apply it?

"

vinegar
pool salt
Dawn soap

Use any sprayer, ATV mounted , tractor mounted, back mount etc ..

4-5 lb salt
1 gallon vinegar
2 gallon water
1/2 cup Dawn soap ( to stick to leaves, stems )

mix, spray on leaves and at root
spray more often at the beginning, til you see brown leaves

play around with your concentration of salt & vinegar for different weeds...
ie add more for resistant weeds

Re: Best Herbicide For Fence Lines [Re: fouzman] #6415216 08/19/16 03:37 AM
H
huntwest Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
H
I use Pronto and mix 1 cup of Remedy witht to kill small woody plants. Pronto has surfactant in it. I usethis around fnces and tank batteries and it kills real well.

Re: Best Herbicide For Fence Lines [Re: jeffbird] #6415240 08/19/16 04:02 AM
H
hoof n wings Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
Anytime you have a prolonged exposure to chemicals, there is always a chance to have some type of cancer. Someone who uses Round Up once or twice a year isn't a prolonged exposure
Originally Posted By: jeffbird
Unless there is a compelling need, avoid Roundup. If you do handle it, make sure to use best practices to avoid skin contact or inhalation. There is evidence building to implicate it as increasing the risk of prostate cancer, which is already a significant risk for men and some, but lesser, evidence associating it with increases in breast cancer.

See the body of the text here (it does not copy and paste very well):

http://www.iarc.fr/en/media-centre/iarcnews/pdf/MonographVolume112.pdf

Here is some general info about cancer and other ag chemicals: http://www.cancer.gov/about-cancer/causes-prevention/risk/ahs-fact-sheet

What have researchers learned so far about farmers and cancer risk?

Most of the cancer research in the AHS has focused on pesticides, which are chemicals used to kill invasive insects, weeds, or small animals. In some cases, relationships between these pesticides and human cancer were examined for the first time in the AHS.

Thus far, researchers have evaluated more than 20 pesticides to determine whether the farmers who use them have increased risks of developing cancer. Some of these analyses have shown that people exposed to certain pesticides have an increased risk of developing certain cancers, but further research is needed to confirm these findings and to evaluate the potential mechanisms by which pesticides might influence cancer risk.

For example, a study from the AHS reported in 2009 that people who use the weed killer imazethapyr have increased risks of bladder cancer and colon cancer. Imazethapyr is in a class of chemicals known as aromatic amines. It was first used in the United States in 1989, and, since then, has been one of the most commonly used herbicides for killing weeds in soybean, dry bean, alfalfa, and other crop fields.

Studies in mice and rats led the EPA to classify imazethapyr as unlikely to be a human carcinogen. But, in the AHS, people with the highest cumulative lifetime exposure had more than twice the risk (137 percent increase in risk) of developing bladder cancer compared with those who had no exposure to the chemical. Similarly, the risk of colon cancer (mostly tumors in the proximal colon, where food enters during digestion) was nearly twice as high as normal (78 percent increased risk) among farmers who had the highest level of exposure compared with those who had no exposure to the chemical.

In addition, a condition called monoclonal gammopathy of undetermined significance (MGUS), which commonly precedes multiple myeloma, was found in blood samples of men in the AHS at twice the rate it was found in blood samples of men in Minnesota who were not part of the AHS cohort. This increased risk of MGUS was observed among men who used the chlorinated insecticide dieldrin, the fumigant mixture carbon-tetrachloride/carbon disulfide, the fungicide chlorothalonil, and possibly other pesticides. Now, a larger study within the AHS is looking more closely at the risk of MGUS with use of specific pesticides.

In 2011, AHS researchers reported an analysis of farmers who use the weed killer atrazine, which is a type of chemical known as a triazine. In this analysis, farmers who used atrazine the most often had a similar overall cancer risk to those who used atrazine the least often, but those with the highest exposures had a slightly increased risk of thyroid cancer. However, the number of cancer cases was too few for the finding to be considered conclusive.

Atrazine causes mammary tumors in rats but is not classified as a carcinogen in humans. Atrazine is an endocrine disruptor—meaning that it interferes with normal hormone signals in the body—as demonstrated in amphibians, birds, and rodents that have been exposed to it at high concentrations.

More information about what researchers have learned about cancer, other health problems, and risk factors among farmers is available in the AHS publications list.

Originally Posted by ImTheReasonDovesMourn
I'd ask him if he's pregnant. He missed a s__tload of periods.

Originally Posted by Hancock
I'll take "things that look like a uterus" for $200 Alex.
Re: Best Herbicide For Fence Lines [Re: cabosandinh] #6415244 08/19/16 04:06 AM
H
hoof n wings Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
I don't believe in misusing chemicals for their intended purpose

$5 for 50 lbs bag

Originally Posted by ImTheReasonDovesMourn
I'd ask him if he's pregnant. He missed a s__tload of periods.

Originally Posted by Hancock
I'll take "things that look like a uterus" for $200 Alex.
Re: Best Herbicide For Fence Lines [Re: fouzman] #6416121 08/19/16 09:08 PM
W
WIP Ranch Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
W
Huntwest is correct. 41% Glyphosate (pronto or Big and Tuff plus lots of others) and remedy mixed will give you the best kill for chemicals that don't require a license. The glypho has a surfactant but you might want to add a little more because the remedy doesn't. The mix will knockdown grass, weeds and most woody plants.

It is perfectly safe if you follow the label exactly. Using more than specified does not help and hurts the environment.

Roundup and the other glyphosate products are basically the same but the roundup has added chemicals to speed the burn down. Home owners like this feature but it ain't worth the added expense for fence lines.

Re: Best Herbicide For Fence Lines [Re: fouzman] #6433870 09/01/16 02:33 AM
P
Patweldon Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
P
Eraser AP

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide