Print Thread
Hearing Loss Protection magazine article #5992925 10/25/15 04:05 AM
W
WileyCoyote Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
W
The November Outdoor Life magazine I got today has an extensive article titled "Protect Your Ears", starting on page 78 that goes into great detail on the effects of loud noises like gunfire on your hearing. At the bottom of the article is a small group of ear muffs and couple other items under the caption "Top Hearing Protectors, under the graph & info titled "The Numbers Behind the Noise" outlining what is too loud and when noise will cause damage to your hearing.

After learning to shoot in the late 1960 & early '70's, and began shooting 3-4k rounds of CF Rifle a year under the tin roof at the old Winchester Range on Luna Rd in Dallas, when ear protection was usually only a cotton ball, clean cigarette filter, or mebbe some of the free foam plugs or something similar, my hearing is about 50%+ gone with total loss in some of the upper ranges, plus constant 24/7 tinnitus caused from gunfire and a severe long term food borne fever with SE Asia origins I went thru in my early 20's that has also affected my vision enough to create permanent damage...and since I hate wearing my hearing aids and usually don't, I don't hear all that well in social situations, watching TV etc and am hyper aware of my lack of hearing. Even some foods seem to still affect my hearing now, about like a sugar spike affecte my vision from the beginnng of Type II diabetes, food affects my hyper tension too. It's been said many times that getting Old is NOT for Sissies.

The older I get at now 71, I've finally replaced the ancient Lee Sonic ear plugs and mid grade of BPS's brand of ear muffs I had always used at the gun range, and is probably what saved the degraded hearing I have now by using the Lee Sonic ear plugs under my ear muffs for the last 20-30 years.

Anyway I'd suggest ya'll take a look at this Outdoor Life article to get a better understanding of how to protect your hearing. I've already replaced my ear plugs, and acquired a set of Industrial grade muff's to use at the range, but had forgotten I wanted to order the Howard Leight Impact Sport muffs I found at great prices from Amazon, that are featured in the magazine article as the recc'd lightweight electronic grade product, to wear in static situations like a box blind over the new upgraded foam plugs I've already picked up.
Ron

Last edited by WileyCoyote; 10/25/15 04:29 AM.

It is TIME for Term Limits, cause Politicians are like childrens diapers and for the same reasons...Robin Williams

"These are the times that try men's soul's"...Thomas Paine

"Those who fail to learn from History are doomed to repeat it" ....Santayana
Re: Hearing Loss Protection magazine article [Re: WileyCoyote] #5993211 10/25/15 03:13 PM
Double Naught Spy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Yep, hearing is not something that comes back. Even worse is that hearing loss is often gradual enough to not be noticed until it is a problem and then it is far too late.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Hearing Loss Protection magazine article [Re: WileyCoyote] #5993745 10/25/15 09:51 PM
dfwroadkill Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Huh, what? confused2

Re: Hearing Loss Protection magazine article [Re: WileyCoyote] #5993991 10/26/15 12:05 AM
W
WileyCoyote Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
W
The 1st NRA or mebbe it was the SHOT Show in Phoenix I attended...same Convention Center but different dates ...I was amazed at all the younger than I am now "old men" standing around YELLING at each other...'cause everbody was DEAF AS A STONE lololol ... one of the loudest indoor crowds I've ever been in.
Ron

It is TIME for Term Limits, cause Politicians are like childrens diapers and for the same reasons...Robin Williams

"These are the times that try men's soul's"...Thomas Paine

"Those who fail to learn from History are doomed to repeat it" ....Santayana
Re: Hearing Loss Protection magazine article [Re: WileyCoyote] #5995172 10/26/15 06:50 PM
D
Dalee7892 Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
D
Between hunting ang construction work - I have lost the hi tones 65 percent in both ears. Have to wear hearing aids, no good on construction jobs, to loud. Wear them watching tv, know the neighbors don't have to listen to what I am watching lol.
Wear the electronic muffs in the woods and at the range.
Still talk real loud around the wife.

Re: Hearing Loss Protection magazine article [Re: WileyCoyote] #5998168 10/28/15 12:11 PM
D
Dave Davidson Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Tractors, boats, guns and yapping wives have ruined my ears.

Yep, I have hearing aids but only wear them on certain occasions. The rest of the time I just nod and act like I understood.

Last edited by Dave Davidson; 10/28/15 12:13 PM.

Without a sense of urgency, nothing ever happens.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley, Rancher Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide