Print Thread
Rotary vs Vibratory Case Cleaner #7071132 02/08/18 10:11 PM
D
DuckKiller2010 Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
D
Which do you prefer? As a kid growing up, dad never cleaned the brass. We just wiped it off, lubed it, ran through the die, reprimed, trimmed, and loaded with powder and bullet. Never had a problem with his way and always had good, tight groups on our hunting loads. Trying to figure out if I want to spend the money to buy the rotary cleaner.

Re: Rotary vs Vibratory Case Cleaner [Re: DuckKiller2010] #7071746 02/09/18 01:23 PM
BassCat'99 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
that's a personal choice, if your doing what your Dad did and your happy don't change, I like to clean mine, cuz it's part of the therapy of reloading.

22 Creedmoor
Re: Rotary vs Vibratory Case Cleaner [Re: DuckKiller2010] #7071854 02/09/18 02:29 PM
Cast Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I moved up from a vibe to a tumbler, then went up again to SS media. That the best way IMO.

Your brass doesn't have to shine, just clean is all it needs, but we're men and shiny stuff is good stuff.

Cast

[Linked Image]

I have a short attention spa
Re: Rotary vs Vibratory Case Cleaner [Re: DuckKiller2010] #7071932 02/09/18 03:14 PM
B
Bar-D Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
I have used a Thumler's Tumbler for over 30 years and see no reason to change. IMO, the vibratory cleaners make too much noise. It's kinda like fingernails on a blackboard for me. If the brass is tarnished and I want it to shine, I soak it in a mix of hot water, a little dish soap and about a tablespoon of Lemishine. Spread it out on a towel to dry, then tumble. It comes out looking like new brass.

Last edited by bar-d; 02/09/18 03:16 PM.

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf
Re: Rotary vs Vibratory Case Cleaner [Re: Cast] #7071961 02/09/18 03:36 PM
T
TackDriver Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: Cast
I moved up from a vibe to a tumbler, then went up again to SS media. That the best way IMO.

Your brass doesn't have to shine, just clean is all it needs, but we're men and shiny stuff is good stuff.

Hey Cast, you mentioned you went from a tumbler to SS, may I ask if you seen any accuracy changes while changing? Concerned if bare brass on necks changes the grip on the bullet compared to when having carbon on the necks.

Re: Rotary vs Vibratory Case Cleaner [Re: TackDriver] #7071998 02/09/18 03:53 PM
J
Judd Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
Originally Posted By: TackDriver

Hey Cast, you mentioned you went from a tumbler to SS, may I ask if you seen any accuracy changes while changing? Concerned if bare brass on necks changes the grip on the bullet compared to when having carbon on the necks.

It definitely does. I used to tumble...can't remember the last time I tumbled a piece of brass. I have come to the conclusion nothing good can happen while beating your brass around against themselves.

There are reasons I would...like if I got a new batch of range brass that looked like crap or something...but I'd only do it once.

Originally Posted by Phil Robertson
Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: Rotary vs Vibratory Case Cleaner [Re: Judd] #7072095 02/09/18 05:00 PM
T
TackDriver Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: Judd

It definitely does. I used to tumble...can't remember the last time I tumbled a piece of brass. I have come to the conclusion nothing good can happen while beating your brass around against themselves.

There are reasons I would...like if I got a new batch of range brass that looked like crap or something...but I'd only do it once.

I remembered shooting a superb half inch load at 300 yards with vibratory tumbled brass, which leaves a little carbon on the necks, and used the same load with SS tumble, and the SS tumbled load shot like crap.

Re: Rotary vs Vibratory Case Cleaner [Re: TackDriver] #7072297 02/09/18 08:16 PM
J
Judd Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
Originally Posted By: Judd

I remembered shooting a superb half inch load at 300 yards with vibratory tumbled brass, which leaves a little carbon on the necks, and used the same load with SS tumble, and the SS tumbled load shot like crap.

up

Originally Posted by Phil Robertson
Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide