Print Thread
Unusual Brass Defect #6600381 12/24/16 12:07 AM
R
RiverRider Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
R
I was looking at some brass given to me today, and decided to deprime it. That's when I noticed a kind of defect I had never seen.

[Linked Image]

"Arguing with you always makes me thirsty."

-Augustus McRae
Re: Unusual Brass Defect [Re: RiverRider] #6600394 12/24/16 12:17 AM
M
Michael W. Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
I seem to recall that some military brass had twin flash holes but have never seen that on commercial brass.

Last edited by Michael W.; 12/24/16 12:17 AM.

A clear conscience is often the sign of a fuzzy memory.
Re: Unusual Brass Defect [Re: RiverRider] #6600395 12/24/16 12:20 AM
R
RiverRider Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
R
You must be thinking of Berdan-primed brass. It has two small holes, by design. This is a defect.

[Linked Image]

-Augustus McRae
Re: Unusual Brass Defect [Re: RiverRider] #6600398 12/24/16 12:20 AM
C
crashdummy Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
C
The normal defect is no flash hole at all ........good thing you inspected your brass
The twin holes referred to was probably berdan primed brass that has the anvil in the case head
Merry Christmas

[Linked Image]
Re: Unusual Brass Defect [Re: RiverRider] #6600406 12/24/16 12:25 AM
W
WileyCoyote Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Somebody Shot this ?!?!? Holy chit Batman ...

Multiple off center punch...looks like a piece of brass was hung up in the machine and got hit several times. Just never seen anything quite like that either.

Have seen a punch hole that was like a sideways flat edge screwdriver shape in RP brass from one side to the other side of the primer pocket...and several other pieces showed severe scratch marks in the primer hole out of the same batch.

I'd send 'em back and ask for some new brass..and be double sure to check every last piece out of the same batch for any kind of anomaly.

Good Pics like these will prove the "point" LOLOL if you don't want to send the piece of brass back, but the Mfg'er will want the sample.
Ron

It is TIME for Term Limits, cause Politicians are like childrens diapers and for the same reasons...Robin Williams

"These are the times that try men's soul's"...Thomas Paine

"Those who fail to learn from History are doomed to repeat it" ....Santayana
Re: Unusual Brass Defect [Re: RiverRider] #6600439 12/24/16 12:48 AM
R
RiverRider Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
R
Shoot, Ron, this brass was given to me. I believe it was all once-fired factory since the guy who gave it to me said he didn't ever reload 6mm (I bought the rifle from him a couple of weeks ago, an old 788). I am pretty sure this case was once a factory load.

[Linked Image]

-Augustus McRae
Re: Unusual Brass Defect [Re: RiverRider] #6600455 12/24/16 01:00 AM
M
Murphscout Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
M
Was that the only one or were there more in the bunch you got ?

Re: Unusual Brass Defect [Re: RiverRider] #6600501 12/24/16 01:32 AM
J
Judd Offline
#1 Creedmoor Fan
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
Don't see that everyday...interesting.

Originally Posted by Phil Robertson
Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: Unusual Brass Defect [Re: RiverRider] #6600526 12/24/16 01:43 AM
R
RiverRider Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
R
Only one.

[Linked Image]

-Augustus McRae
Re: Unusual Brass Defect [Re: RiverRider] #6600600 12/24/16 02:34 AM
C
Creedmoor Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
Never saw that before. Just another reason that the last thing I do before seating a primer is take a look at the flash hole.

There's a fine line between BRAVE ... and STUPID.

The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.
Re: Unusual Brass Defect [Re: RiverRider] #6600659 12/24/16 03:12 AM
W
WileyCoyote Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
I look at the flash holes when I ream brush the pocket by hand on every prep to see if I got all the crud chunks & sex tools media out of the flash hole. Ollld School for sure.

Come to think of it I did see one time where the mfg'er' was drilling the flash hole's and had some partial "dimples" off to the side of the flash hole that did not penetrate completely. Can't remember the brand from 35+ years ago but was euro of some sort. Was still so rookie in those days I had to be told WHY you drill the flash holes instead of what the Amelican Co's were doin' with a mechanical punch.
Ron

It is TIME for Term Limits, cause Politicians are like childrens diapers and for the same reasons...Robin Williams

Re: Unusual Brass Defect [Re: RiverRider] #6600682 12/24/16 03:26 AM
R
RiverRider Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
R
Sex tools media? Maybe i havent been getting everything i can out of reloading, Ron.
confused2

[Linked Image]

-Augustus McRae
Re: Unusual Brass Defect [Re: RiverRider] #6600683 12/24/16 03:27 AM
R
RiverRider Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
R
BTW, has your shoulder healed up enough to shoot big guns again?

[Linked Image]

-Augustus McRae
Re: Unusual Brass Defect [Re: RiverRider] #6600748 12/24/16 04:32 AM
W
WileyCoyote Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Don't think so..still taking pain pills 3 times a day, most days. Got the Glaucoma eye pressure problem under control for the 1st time in 5+ years with a Lazer D&T to kill off some of the fluid producing cells inside the problem eye at VA Temple and is now stablized....and part of the reason to move here and get OUT of the Dallas VA System before they finally did me in. The cornea transplant in '14 to replace the old transplant from 2000, is still perfectno thanks to the Dallas VA who fought doing a new one on a cost basis despite billing my Medicare & Med Sup plan before the VA was out a dime. FWIW transplant cornea's only last 8-12 years according to the Cornea Dept head at UT S'West, and mine was over 14 years old when the argument started. Cornea Assc of Texas did the new one under Medicare & Med Sup with no out of pocket to me.

Gonna start shooting again when it warms up/drys out a little next month & get all the new toys assembled with all the new scopes I've been trading for & ratholing all summer & fall, and start with a cherry unfired Marlin 781 22lr or more probably the old reliable Marlin 39D 22lr for the needed breath and trigger control work, now that the family time requirement issues are no longer as much of a problem with my DinL's passing in early November and the Holidays almost over with.

Got the Palestine house contractor required renovations about 75/80% done, and just need to take some time and regroup to priortize the next years schedules ...had planned for a 18-24 month time frame and doing most of the grunt labor ourselves and it's gonna take ever bit of that.

Gonna start the CF's with a T3 260, then a 270 in a new to me BACO M70 ULT Shadow CRF with the bluing still on the firing pin's head I got trading with a guy in Colorado, using the cherry 300WMg Ruger 77 SS AllWeather I got off GB out of Duluth MN ...then chickened out thinking about about the shoulder, then the 270 Marlin XL7 I got from GroutScout here on THF get's it turn to shine and set up for a brush/truck gun, and finally work my way back up to the M70 Fwt 300WSM by May before it gets too hot. Anything that doesn't shoot like I want it too will get it's DeeVorce papers along the way.

Still looking for deals, and am watching a T3 Swede that's been tricked out like I would have for a One Gun & Done shooter last gun to sell...and who knows maybe the shoulder won't be a problem after all and I'll push it for another CZ 9.3x62 or some other boomer ???, like the CZ I got talked out of by a neighbor at Texoma when it looked like the shoulder was not gonna respond enough to take any kind of recoil.

So that's The Plan for the 1st half of 2017 as far as I can see today....unless I can win a Lottery and head back to Bosque County to buy a ranch...and commute from here in Dogwood Country as I've really felt at home down here for the 1st time in a very long time....
Ron

Re: Unusual Brass Defect [Re: RiverRider] #6600762 12/24/16 04:57 AM
W
WileyCoyote Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
RR
"Sex tools media"...aka a Vibrator Tumbler for the uninitiated ...
used judiciuously .... can be a joy in CLEANING RIFLE BRASS... and "other things too" ...like scraping the Texoma crud with a muiratic acid bath and the locals stare at, going OMG lookat THAT...off the bottom of my 22' Deep V Bay Boat...and One of those gonna get fixed late next Spring kinda things still left over from Fall 2013 when it went into dry storage...PTL Before the Big Flood that put LT's waters 6.72' over the spillway & 40' from the house, with waist deep water on the County Road in front of the house.

I'd work on the boat's hull here at home if I could figure out how to get it 7' off the ground in the back Driveway...and get it back down again without dropping it.
Ron

Re: Unusual Brass Defect [Re: RiverRider] #6600765 12/24/16 04:57 AM
R
RiverRider Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
R
Well, hang in there. Sounds like you're on the mend but if you're having to take pain pills I'd guess you're probably not ready for that 9.3 x 62. I hope it all pans out for you, and long before the warm wind blows!

BTW, I still have that .280 I'm going to send down the road. I kinda hate to let it go because it's a great shooter, but I have a "one-gun-per-caliber policy" and the safe is full to the brim and my Super Grade is going NOwhere!

[Linked Image]

-Augustus McRae
Re: Unusual Brass Defect [Re: RiverRider] #6600784 12/24/16 05:22 AM
W
WileyCoyote Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
A 280 ??? Really? did I forget something ? HMMM...always wanted a 280...Lemme see how that could happen in the next couple weeks...already looking for an alternative to the 300WSM with bigger boolits than the 270 can throw and recently walked away from a 7RMg deal too..but a 280...is it an AI?

PM me with some details please sir.

Cleaned out the PM box the other day and found some stuff from 2013...where does the time get to these days. Maybe Life will slow down a little now that things are less demanding.

Believe it or not the 9.3 I had would move me around a little but not with the sharp snap that the 30 cal WMg's have, and in the CZ's 10+lb All Up aka scoped, slinged and loaded configuration was not a hard to live with shooter on my end.
Ron

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide