Print Thread
Anyone try this? #6479295 10/04/16 12:06 AM
O
okie44 Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
O
I've done my share of stupid stuff. I would never try this! loco This from the Cast Boolits site.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?317206-Warning-Major-reloading-Accident-last-night-!

"Warning : Major reloading Accident last night !
2 reasons for this post. 1st to hopefully help someone to not have this happen to them and second get some opinions on how to proceed. First a little background on the issue. I am ok but did spent a few hours in the emergency room last night getting 9 stiches in both hands and stomach.

I have been reloading for over 40 years and have been doing this process for almost all of those years .It started with having problems on my progressive press seating primers deep enough in 38 special cases to have consistent firing. Came to this conclusion when the second strike on the primer they would go off. Gun....S&W 686 357/38 Special Pro w/ 5" barrel. Primer are some off the wall PMC's I bought when primers were hard to find. A lot of them seat really hard hence the issue with some not being seated firmly enough. Anyway, in the past I would then feel the cases to check for high primers, or in the case of these I just started running all loaded cases back thru seating primers a second time with my Lee hand held just to feel the primers seating correctly. I know, even in my mind this was a little " walking on the edge" but again I have always done this on other occasions and do take extreme caution to insure the primers are reseated without too much force. I feel with the Lee hand primer this can be felt easily as you apply pressure. Well, as by know I am sure you know what happened.....the primer went off on the loaded case in my hand and the shell fragmented sending brass fragments and pcs of plastic from the hand primer in all directions. Blood everywhere and I still have not found all the pcs of brass to account for the entire 38 case."

"Back to the immediate issues, I would like to know what you all are doing to reseat primers on loaded shells ( if doing it at all ) as I still have prob 20 cases loaded to reseat and am a little jumpy right now. I don't want to even think about using a kinetic bullet puller to disassemble them, being concerned this may ignite the problem primers . In my "cause and corrective action" plans I will prob not continue using this brand of primers...hopefully I do not have another box or more left, they were 1,000 count boxes. I also need to find another way to seat primers, maybe off the progressive and not use the Lee hand primer as I now have a fear of that also. My initial thought would be go with the RCBS table mounted primer but that means I will have to interrupt the sequencing on the progressive.

Sorry for the long post but hopefully this will help me and others in the future from having this happen to them.

Let the well deserved bashing begin"

�The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right.�
Mark Twain
Re: Anyone try this? [Re: okie44] #6479317 10/04/16 12:17 AM
C
ChadTRG42 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
That's close to a Darwin award, right there.

If the ammo is loaded on a progressive press, you do not know what is causing the primer to not seat fully. You can have debris, and any kind of crud in the pocket, which will cause the primer to sit high. You can't go trying to seat it further without the chance of it going off.

For example, the times I have had a primer go off on a progressive press is when you catch a ringer. A ringer is when you knock out the old primer, and the anvil and the top of the primer is pushed out, but the ring, or sidewalls of the old primer stick in the primer pocket. When you go to seat a new primer, the new primer catches on the walls of the old primer, and the seating force causes the new primer to go "Bang!". It will make you change your drawers!

I have seated primers deeper on live ammo. But it's with a single stage loaded round, and I know there is no chance of blockage below the primer.

[Linked Image]
Custom and Precision Ammunition!!
https://DallasReloads.com/
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: Anyone try this? [Re: okie44] #6479429 10/04/16 01:18 AM
R
RiverRider Online Confused
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Confused
THF Trophy Hunter
R
The VERY LAST THING I'd ever mess with on a loaded round is the freekin primer. That is a no, no, no, no, NO!!!!!

loser8

[Linked Image]

"Arguing with you always makes me thirsty."

-Augustus McRae
Re: Anyone try this? [Re: okie44] #6479453 10/04/16 01:36 AM
M
mikei Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
I've been reloading for over 50 years, and I have never, and will never, go back to a loaded round and use a primer seating tool on them! If I detect protruding or not-seated-deeply-enough primers on cartridges I have loaded, I break 'em down: pull the bullet, dump the powder charge, deprime the case, and then deal with the primer issue on a totally unloaded round, making the assumption that there is something blocking the proper seating. Could be the primer pocket; could be crud in the pocket; could be malformed primers; but I'll figure out what the problem is, and if I can't figure it out, the cartridge case gets crushed with a pair of pliers and disposed of.

Re: Anyone try this? [Re: mikei] #6479668 10/04/16 03:58 AM
B
Bar-D Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: mikei
I've been reloading for over 50 years, and I have never, and will never, go back to a loaded round and use a primer seating tool on them! If I detect protruding or not-seated-deeply-enough primers on cartridges I have loaded, I break 'em down: pull the bullet, dump the powder charge, deprime the case, and then deal with the primer issue on a totally unloaded round, making the assumption that there is something blocking the proper seating. Could be the primer pocket; could be crud in the pocket; could be malformed primers; but I'll figure out what the problem is, and if I can't figure it out, the cartridge case gets crushed with a pair of pliers and disposed of.

I agree. I have been reloading for 40 years and have had to do this a time or two. Only safe way IMO.

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf
Re: Anyone try this? [Re: okie44] #6480967 10/04/16 10:54 PM
T
tth_40 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Aww geez...

Not just no, but HELL no.

Originally Posted By: theserxtremedays
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
Re: Anyone try this? [Re: okie44] #6484606 10/07/16 02:19 AM
T
texashunter900 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
I have learned a few things the hard way also and if thee is any question I will break them down and discard items in a heart beat. There is no way I am going to risk my life
over being too cheap to throw away a few dollars worth of materials.

Re: Anyone try this? [Re: okie44] #6492373 10/12/16 05:46 PM
P
postoak Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
P
If you remove the bullet and powder is it safe to remove the live primer with the sizing die? I admit I'm too cowardly to even try that. I'd just discard the case and primer. But since I use a primer pocket cleaning tool on each case I've never, ever, had a primer that wouldn't seat fully.

Re: Anyone try this? [Re: okie44] #6492473 10/12/16 06:43 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
I use a hand primer and give every one of them a look after I prime it.

It's hell eatin em live
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide