Print Thread
Logging Data - Because I'm A Geek At Heart #6276319 04/26/16 10:44 PM
M
Mickey Moose Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
M
New to reloading. Was looking up info on logging reloading and shot data to get ideas. I'll build a web-based system for myself. Had the following idea for using shot data.

No more keeping targets (with or without notes scribbled on them). No crappy pictures of targets. I can display a base image of a target and plot shots from data I've collected. For example, one day I have 5 shots, another day 5 more maybe with a different load. I could overlay the total of 10 shots on a single target even colorizing to distinguish between the two groups.

Thought the idea was pretty cool. Useful? I guess debatable. Technically this is not difficult for me - it's time that's the problem. I'll add it to my lengthy list of things I want to do, meanwhile I'll collect a bunch of data.

Your thoughts??

-Mickey

My botnet is bigger than yours.
Re: Logging Data - Because I'm A Geek At Heart [Re: Mickey Moose] #6276334 04/26/16 10:52 PM
B
Buzzsaw Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
take an Adderall banana

SPACE FOR RENT

Re: Logging Data - Because I'm A Geek At Heart [Re: Mickey Moose] #6276392 04/26/16 11:24 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
I don't keep photos.

Barrel length, twist rate, clambering, powder, bullet, relation to the lands.

Record environmental conditions, including wind speed and direction.

During ladder tests I write +/- POI vs POA, simply in fractions of an inch.

So say I was shooting a 6.5 Creedmoor

41.4 gr -5 1/2"
41.7 gr -4"
42.0 gr -1 1/2"
42.3 gr -1 1/4"
42.6 gr -1"
42.9 gr +3"
43.2 gr +5"

That shows me that 42.0 gr. 42.3 gr and 42.6 gr. are in the node.

Then when I shoot those for groups I write the distance, temp. DA, wind speed and direction. I document the group size verticle X horizontal.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Logging Data - Because I'm A Geek At Heart [Re: Buzzsaw] #6276497 04/27/16 12:06 AM
M
Mickey Moose Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Originally Posted By: Buzzsaw
take an Adderall banana

Heh.

Re: Logging Data - Because I'm A Geek At Heart [Re: J.G.] #6276516 04/27/16 12:11 AM
M
Mickey Moose Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Originally Posted By: FiremanJG
I don't keep photos.

For some reason I do.

Barrel length, twist rate, clambering, powder, bullet, relation to the lands.

Hadn't thought of that. Should have been obvious, thanks.

The rest of it I already have plus a few more items suck as cold bore and new/clean.

All in all it will be quite a bit of data that could be used in interesting, albeit useless, ways.

Re: Logging Data - Because I'm A Geek At Heart [Re: Mickey Moose] #6276979 04/27/16 03:51 AM
B
Big Fitz Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
I kinda geek out as I'm building my database. I have a different tab in excel for each caliber and track the following info:

I still like keeping the targets or photos as the group shape may tell a story more so than just the data.

Originally Posted by onlysmith&wesson
I was wrong...on anything technical.

Originally Posted by Sailor
Fitz............. is right, ya know............
Re: Logging Data - Because I'm A Geek At Heart [Re: Big Fitz] #6277017 04/27/16 05:07 AM
M
Mickey Moose Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
M
I like the spreadsheet approach and had initially set out that direction but changed my mind for various reasons.

Database schema is done, database built, some data added. Testing on the database side to see if I like the design. Seems pretty solid. Maybe I'll put together part of the web interface [much] sooner than anticipated.

Re: Logging Data - Because I'm A Geek At Heart [Re: Mickey Moose] #6277536 04/27/16 05:07 PM
J
Judd Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
BF and MM - y'all need to play my game as anal as you are about data.

This might surprise some of you but I keep data and targets up until I get a load that I'm going to shoot...then I throw it all away and only shoot that. My reasoning...it was noise that I was paying way to much attention too. When I throw it away I'm convinced that is the best load for that barrel. 1000-1200 rounds later I've got to start over with another barrel anyway.

The one exception is if I shoot a ladder test with one I will keep it until that barrel is toast. I've shot enough 6brx and 6 dashers that I don't do what most would consider load development...I know the powder charge all I do is find the seating depth needed to shoot tight and will check different primers for an ES/SD reduction. Matter of fact, I just had a new 6brx barrel chambered and my gunsmith said he had some latest and greatest reamer...he asked if I wanted it...I said "nope" I know what it takes to make the old one shoot...keep grinding that one. He just laughed and said he understood.

Originally Posted by Phil Robertson
Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: Logging Data - Because I'm A Geek At Heart [Re: Judd] #6277569 04/27/16 05:26 PM
M
Mickey Moose Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Judd - our leagues are so far apart - I'm little league just playing around. So far from ready for the level you are at. Can't focus enough to get there either.

In my personal life I have too many things I want to do. I am a constant distraction to myself. I could buy ammo but, nope, analysis paralysis to buy reloading equipment. Took away from time with technical pursuits, which took away from striping my lawn. Then I want to hot tub. The other night I came up with a short list of welding projects. I don't even own a flipping welder nor have I ever used one! Never ending.

In my work - laser focus. Don't understand how I can be so polar opposite.

Re: Logging Data - Because I'm A Geek At Heart [Re: Mickey Moose] #6277642 04/27/16 06:16 PM
C
cabosandinh Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: Mickey Moose

In my personal life I have too many things I want to do. I am a constant distraction to myself.

cuz you're a grasshopper .... I used to do all that , later realized waste of time

concentrate on the 'patterns' - keep that in your phone's Notes

There is a better way to keep track of all that and still have it handy at the range
is the use of Apple iPad; start a Notes Page, write date/load/weather/texts etc... snap picture of target
You now have everything text/pics all within a page

repeat

Re: Logging Data - Because I'm A Geek At Heart [Re: Mickey Moose] #6277653 04/27/16 06:24 PM
J
Judd Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
Judd - our leagues are so far apart - I'm little league just playing around. So far from ready for the level you are at. Can't focus enough to get there either.

In my personal life I have too many things I want to do. I am a constant distraction to myself. I could buy ammo but, nope, analysis paralysis to buy reloading equipment. Took away from time with technical pursuits, which took away from striping my lawn. Then I want to hot tub. The other night I came up with a short list of welding projects. I don't even own a flipping welder nor have I ever used one! Never ending.

With a mentor or coach you could get to my league pretty fast, two seasons I would guess. I can't help you with the focus...I'm one of those guys who plan, plan, plan in my work life and I want zero plans in my personal life. I rarely commit to weekend plans before Thurs/Friday because my whole world is a plan. I can't wait to retire so I'll have less #*$&$ to give grin

Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: Logging Data - Because I'm A Geek At Heart [Re: Judd] #6277680 04/27/16 06:41 PM
B
Big Fitz Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted By: Judd

With a mentor or coach you could get to my league pretty fast, two seasons I would guess. I can't help you with the focus...I'm one of those guys who plan, plan, plan in my work life and I want zero plans in my personal life. I rarely commit to weekend plans before Thurs/Friday because my whole world is a plan. I can't wait to retire so I'll have less #*$&$ to give grin

Sounds eerily familiar! In my line of work I had to be so overly focused and organized that I avoid it in my down time (otherwise it is not downtime). Top that off with a touch of ADD and my brain NEVER stops. That made me tired...gonna go take a nap.

Re: Logging Data - Because I'm A Geek At Heart [Re: Big Fitz] #6278175 04/28/16 12:54 AM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Big Fitz
Originally Posted By: Judd

Sounds eerily familiar! In my line of work I had to be so overly focused and organized that I avoid it in my down time (otherwise it is not downtime). Top that off with a touch of ADD and my brain NEVER stops. That made me tired...gonna go take a nap.

I don't know how you two deal with me, then. 24 hours on, 48 hours off, 24 hours on, 48 hours off,

F-O-R-E-V-E-R! (Sandlot voice)

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Logging Data - Because I'm A Geek At Heart [Re: J.G.] #6278359 04/28/16 03:04 AM
B
Big Fitz Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
I don't know how you two deal with me, then. 24 hours on, 48 hours off, 24 hours on, 48 hours off, F-O-R-E-V-E-R! (Sandlot voice)

You're a special kind of special... banana

Re: Logging Data - Because I'm A Geek At Heart [Re: Big Fitz] #6278674 04/28/16 02:03 PM
J
Judd Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
Originally Posted By: Big Fitz
I don't know how you two deal with me, then. 24 hours on, 48 hours off, 24 hours on, 48 hours off, F-O-R-E-V-E-R! (Sandlot voice)

You're a special kind of special... banana

It's hard to argue that grin

For me, it's easy, I live through your adventures wink Also, don't kid yourself...I'd venture to say you work harder on those 48 off than you do on most of the 24 on.

Re: Logging Data - Because I'm A Geek At Heart [Re: Mickey Moose] #6279342 04/28/16 10:19 PM
B
Buzzsaw Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
I don't even know where to try and squeeze something in here...ya'll carry on.

SPACE FOR RENT

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide