Print Thread
Traditions Vortek Ultralight Northwest Muzzleloader #6128854 01/10/16 08:10 PM
B
BASSHAWK Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
B
I am about to buy my first muzzleloader. I have been looking at the Traditions Vortek Ultralight Northwest Muzzleloader in .50 cal. This version is Northwest compliant to be legal for hunting in the crazy law states that require an open nipple ignition system. I've looked all over attempting to see if this gun will accept the accelerator breech plug (<$30)? If it will, this would be a good gun for using where the 209 ignition is acceptible and where the percussion/#ll caps are required. Anybody know anyhting that might help? I will call the manufacturer next week, just thought someone here might know. BASSHAWK

Re: Traditions Vortek Ultralight Northwest Muzzleloader [Re: BASSHAWK] #6132078 01/12/16 04:15 PM
1860.colt Offline
emoji colt.45
emoji colt.45
welcome ta the world of Muzzleloaders... Not an expert... what state ya gonna be hunting in? see ya mention the #11 caps... Side locks, twas my first deer rifle... Others can explain difference better bout the #11 & 209 caps... Biggest difference is the powder used... In-lines, ones using 209 caps use a more modern powder, burns slower than the true black powder, better accrecy & range... Its like shooting .06 with out casing... Get with TonyinVA flag

i'm postaddic
Re: Traditions Vortek Ultralight Northwest Muzzleloader [Re: BASSHAWK] #6132874 01/13/16 12:15 AM
B
BASSHAWK Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
B
What I'm hoping to do is buy the Northwest version and then convert to 209. I have read that several manufacturers make a conversion kit (Breech Plug change). I ws hoping that Traditions did that for the Vortek Ultralight, but haven't found the information to confirm. I will probably never hunt in the Northwest states with a muzzleloader. However, it would be nice to have the option if I had the opportunity. BASSHAWK

Re: Traditions Vortek Ultralight Northwest Muzzleloader [Re: BASSHAWK] #6134549 01/14/16 02:00 AM
F
Fitzwho Offline
Tracker
Tracker
F
I just sent their technical department about this exact thing. Basically asked if there was a simple breech plug change, or if it would be possible to purchase a 209 designed barrel and just be able to do a quick barrel switch (may require a firing pin change as well).

I have the Vortek Strikerfire NW Magnum. Haven't shot it yet, had to order musket caps since they were not available locally. If the breech switch is available I'll use Blackhorn 209 in this gun for Colorado and Goex 2Fg or Pyrodex RS with the musket cap (at least that's the two powders I have purchased so far). Looking forward to getting my peep sight and front globe on and getting it sighted in.

Also picked up a CVA Wolf in stainless and the CVA Optima V2 Pistol. Have shot the pistol 3 times, but need to pick up some leather gloves to shoot that thing anymore... Handle checkering in cold weather will eat your hands up...

Permian_Skullworks on Instagram
Re: Traditions Vortek Ultralight Northwest Muzzleloader [Re: BASSHAWK] #6134560 01/14/16 02:05 AM
B
BASSHAWK Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
B
Fitzwho, please let us know what you hear from Traditions. I'm hopeful that all it takes is a simple breech plug change on the one I'm looking at and the stikefire that you have. BASSHAWK

Re: Traditions Vortek Ultralight Northwest Muzzleloader [Re: BASSHAWK] #6134811 01/14/16 04:19 AM
F
Fitzwho Offline
Tracker
Tracker
F
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000N8OM3U/ref=ya_st_dp_summary

Ordered this and a backup musket cap nipple. Still not sure if the firing pin setup for the musket cap will fire the 209 primer, but if everything lines up, it shouldn't be too hard to get a new firing pin from Traditions.

I'll post up whatever response I get from their technical department.

Re: Traditions Vortek Ultralight Northwest Muzzleloader [Re: BASSHAWK] #6142132 01/19/16 01:05 AM
F
Fitzwho Offline
Tracker
Tracker
F
Still have not heard back from Traditions... Might give them a call tomorrow to double check the safety aspect, but my Strikerfire NW version fired the 209 primer when the breech nipple in the hyperlink above, without changing the firing pin. My only concern is about the possibility of chamber pressure being forced backwards past the 209 and then straight up into my face. Though I don't know why it would be any different than a musket cap.

Re: Traditions Vortek Ultralight Northwest Muzzleloader [Re: Fitzwho] #6143215 01/19/16 05:56 PM
1860.colt Offline
emoji colt.45
emoji colt.45
Originally Posted By: Fitzwho
Still have not heard back from Traditions... Might give them a call tomorrow to double check the safety aspect, but my Strikerfire NW version fired the 209 primer when the breech nipple in the hyperlink above, without changing the firing pin. My only concern is about the possibility of chamber pressure being forced backwards past the 209 and then straight up into my face. Though I don't know why it would be any different than a musket cap.
confused2 update popcorn Mussy hunting has come along ways from when first started shooting black powder 40 years ago.. Had topic bout using Tripple se7en tis modern type powder for my Kentucky .45 on here... My book is out dated ... Have used the Pyrdox < spelling might be wrong, tis one of the first smokeless powders for side lock No. 11 cap.. Book showed Measure difference, between it & Gorex, bang my spelling tis bad... When bought the Tripple se7en powder, it showed wight not measure... It inprove powder more modern than Pyrdox powder... Started with light measure, their is difference between measure & weight.. Used my New Orleans special for trial & eror ta work up a load... Risk was on my part... Started with Half the powder used in measure flask.. A lot cleaner, still plenty omph... Difference in powder makes difference in cap size... Stay Safe... flag

i'm postaddic
Re: Traditions Vortek Ultralight Northwest Muzzleloader [Re: BASSHAWK] #6167450 02/03/16 02:11 PM
F
Fitzwho Offline
Tracker
Tracker
F
Traditions wrote me back and stated that the breech plugs were NOT switchable... However, I took it to the range this weekend and proved that the piece I ordered in my post above works just fine. It didn't fully ignite Blackhorn 209 with CCI 209 magnums, but neither did my Optima V2 pistol with Blackhorn specific breech plug (did work the first time). I think I have a bad bottle of Blackhorn or the Federal Bor-Loks that I am shooting don't provide enough initial seal to create the pressure needed.

Two pellets of Triple 7 worked just fine and lobbed the 350 grain Federal Trophy Leads spot on. Of course I changed the fiber optics to a peep and globe sight, so I need to go shoot it again. Will be trying out different loads with both the 209 breech and the Musket Caps.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide