Print Thread
Looking for recommendations on a crossbow #5820207 07/06/15 11:00 PM
L
LovinLakeLife Online Content OP
Pro Tracker
OP Online Content
Pro Tracker
L
Now that I know I can deer hunt with a crossbow, asked TPAW, I am looking for recommendations on a decent, entry level crossbow under $500
I can't use a compound bow due to surgery, can't draw and hold it, so I am going to go with a crossbow
Can y'all recommend a decent crossbow under $500?

Re: Looking for recommendations on a crossbow [Re: LovinLakeLife] #5820469 07/07/15 01:16 AM
M
Microsktr Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
M
I've been hunting all sorts of game (deer, hogs, etc.) with crossbows since they became legal in Texas. I am a disabled veteran, and like you, I had to switch to shooting a crossbow during archery season because I couldn't hold back my Mathews compound bow anymore (due to arthritis). Although there are several crossbows out on the market today under $500, you have to ask yourself a couple of questions first:

1. Comfort: How balanced does the crossbow feel to me when I hold it? Am I able to set the crossbow with the rope pulley provided, or do I need a hand crank winch to set it?
2. Parts: How easily can I get replacement parts (ex: strings) if needed? Can I get the recommended bolts?
3. Repair: Will a local bow shop be able to provide repairs/service on the crossbow if something happens?
4. Accuracy: I highly recommend you do not buy any crossbow unless you get a chance to test shoot it a couple of times. Some models look good in the shop, but don't feel so good when you actually shoot them.

I own two crossbows; my first was a Parker Tornado. It shot great for a couple of years, but now the limbs are starting to splinter. When I contacted Parker about it, they told me the only way they could repair the bow was for me to send it back to them. I really didn't want to go through that kind of shipping hassle (plus they completely changed the nocking system on their crossbows after I bought my model), so I started looking for another one. I finally ended up buying an MXB-360, a product of Mission by Mathews. I've been trying it out this summer prior to archery season, and it's an awesome crossbow. It's very comfortable, I can easily get parts/service for it at my local bow shop, and it is deadly accurate.
Unfortunately, both of these models are over $500, and it sounds like you are trying to stay on budget with this purchase. That being said, I have read good reviews about the Excalibur series. Some of their models (like the Axiom), cost just a little over $500, but sometimes it's better to spend a little extra money to get exactly what you want and will want to shoot for the next several years, versus buy something simply because it's cheaper, and it ends up being nothing but misery trying to shoot it. Just like with a compound bow, you want to do your research, test shoot a couple different models, and then decide what is most comfortable shooting for you that is within your budget. I wish you the best of luck with your future crossbow purchase...you won't regret it!
rock_on

AF(Retired)/DV; busted mine to save yours then...bustin' Bambi to save the American hunting dream now!
Re: Looking for recommendations on a crossbow [Re: LovinLakeLife] #5820548 07/07/15 01:45 AM
kmon11 Online Shocked
junior
Online Shocked
junior
I have no problem recommending Parker cross bows. For the poster above take your Parker to a Cabela's or another Parker dealer that does Warranty work and have them call Parker. Parker will send them a new front end for the bow, they will swap it out and send the bad one back. If you have had the Parker more than 2 years it is covered under the lifetime warranty, less than that it is still covered under their 5 year warranty.

For the OP I would be looking mostly at Parker and Wicked Ridge bows both make some good ones in that price point

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: Looking for recommendations on a crossbow [Re: kmon11] #5820885 07/07/15 12:05 PM
M
Microsktr Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
M
Thanks kmon1 for the Parker info; I'll give Cabela's a call and see what they can do for my old Parker crossbow. I had originally bought it at Bass Pro in San Antonio, but they won't service them anymore. They are the ones that told me I had to call Parker now. If I can get Cabela's to work on it, that would be great, and I can give that one to my son to use (he's been itching to go crossbow hunting this fall). Looks like I will have to plan a trip to Buda.
As for the OP, don't get me wrong...Parker makes a GREAT crossbow (that's the reason I bought it 4 years ago, and I still love it), and if you can find one under $500, then you should seriously consider getting it. My frustrations were with all the model changes Parker made later on, plus I could not get anyone in San Antonio to work on my old crossbow. That's really the only complaint I had. Plus, I'm a sucker for anything made by Mathews anyway...I think that's why I finally ended up with my MXB-360. Whatever you decide to do, I wish you the best of luck. Crossbow hunting is so much fun, and I'm totally hooked now. grin

AF(Retired)/DV; busted mine to save yours then...bustin' Bambi to save the American hunting dream now!
Re: Looking for recommendations on a crossbow [Re: LovinLakeLife] #5820938 07/07/15 12:46 PM
D
DFWPI Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
I've owned several in past couple of years. TenPoint was a great bow, had the crank in it, and it was super easy to get string in place. I also owned a Excalibur Matrix 380 at the same time. I sold the TenPoint as I got to thinking if there were ever a problem with string, I would be out of the hunt until I could find a shop with a press.

With my Excalibur, I can switch out stings in less than three minutes. I would recommend finding a place that sells CBs and shoot a few. There are several forums out there that are CB specific, and some very good info there as well.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide