Print Thread
Prone shooting, breathing, and questions #7135994 04/08/18 09:24 PM
C
chital_shikari Offline OP
Minor in training
OP Offline
Minor in training
C
Hey everyone. So on Friday morning for ROTC PT and lab, instead of doing a 12 mile ruck march, a few of the lower class cadets were taken to Boyert Shooting Center off of Westheimer. I was one of the lucky ones.

I've shot MSRs before and know my way around one. But it was very cool to learn zeroing technique for 25/300 meters with the standard post and carry handle sights. I also had the tightest group out of all the cadets, so that was fun.

But here's something new I learned: breathing. We were told to go prone--either spread both your legs far out or keep one inline with gun-side--and breathe from our bellies and to shoot at the natural pause either at the exhale or inhale. Growing up I was taught to breathe, breathe, breathe and when you're ready to start the trigger pull, hold your breath until the gun goes off. I modified this to inhale, exhale, inhale, hold, let half out, shoot, exhale. And lately I have been just doing whatever I need to to keep the rifle as steady as possible, rest and scenario dependent.

The issue I was having was that with this never-before-handled rifle, I didn't know its trigger. The mil-spec pull was considerable harder than my bolt rifle's ~3.5lb 2-stage and the lever gun we have. So I would have to stay in the exhale, at the bottom of my breathing cycle, longer than the natural pause dictated. It wasn't an issue as we were only 15m away and only zeroing, but it got me thinking.

How can I make myself better at this kind of stuff? I immediately think dry firing, as that's how I've become proficient enough with our bolt guns to know exactly the length of the trigger and when to start my trigger pull in sync with my breathing, so it goes off exactly when I'm at a standstill.

How do y'all breathe when shooting?

How am I supposed to "build up" behind the gun and spread out legs in the prone? My issue is that I'm so skinny that the top of my shoulder area is hard to find a place to put the recoil pad. Shooting standing or sitting is different, as you all know, because you have the meaty front of your armpit to hold it against.

Thanks for any input.

Re: Prone shooting, breathing, and questions [Re: chital_shikari] #7136042 04/08/18 10:44 PM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S
I would consider getting to do the ruck March as lucky. Shooting paper is boring.

Re: Prone shooting, breathing, and questions [Re: chital_shikari] #7136095 04/08/18 11:45 PM
L
luv2brode Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
L
should have done both hit the range then run the march or half march to range and half back done

i am cancelling my subscription, i am tired of your issues!
Re: Prone shooting, breathing, and questions [Re: chital_shikari] #7136099 04/08/18 11:50 PM
J
jeffbird Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J
Chital,

take a few breaths, exhale normally, and when the breath cycle is relaxed at the bottom of the cycle there are a few seconds squeeze off the shot. Do not inhale and hold your breath as that is less consistent than shooting at the bottom of the breath cycle.

Re: Prone shooting, breathing, and questions [Re: SapperTitan] #7136115 04/09/18 12:06 AM
68A Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted By: SapperTitan
I would consider getting to do the ruck March as lucky. Shooting paper is boring.

I’d agree with this.

If you really wanna practice though, stick your cleaning rod in the muzzle and have someone balance a washer or dime on the rod. Practice until you can breathe and squeeze the trigger without it falling. Do this with whatever weapon they issue you.

Re: Prone shooting, breathing, and questions [Re: chital_shikari] #7136208 04/09/18 01:28 AM
T
Texas buckeye Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Nah the real fun is when you put on a gas mask and you can’t even aim anymore but just kind of make the gun and extension of your body and can still hit every mark...that’s fun.

But I was in the Air Force and we didn’t do 12 mile ruck marches, we drove or flew... roflmao

To answer your question, I shoot the same way you were taught, breathe and at the exhale shoot. I do end up
Taking some creep out of the stock triggers and holding tension some, but not a lot, and then on the exhale will Pause for a bit and squeeze the shot off. On triggers I know (my guns) I know exactly how
Much creep to take up during the cycle before squeezing just enough to get the shot off. This would be my AR with two stage Gisselle, excellent trigger. On my bolt rifles, they are set low enough and with such small
Amount of creep (none) that it is easy to get a crisp squeeze and shoot at the bottom of my exhale. I also try to get a good follow thru on the shot, similar to bow hunting and try not to jerk off the gun or look for the hit, just let the recoil be absorbed by your shoulder and “follow” through.

One of the most important aspects of marksmanship is good breathing cycle and trigger control. You can almost walk up and down the shooting range and see who is getting good groups and who has bad groups based on jerky trigger and poor breathing control.

Re: Prone shooting, breathing, and questions [Re: SapperTitan] #7136400 04/09/18 12:35 PM
C
Minor in training
OP Offline
Minor in training
C
Originally Posted By: luv2brode
should have done both hit the range then run the march or half march to range and half back done
That wasn't an option.

I don't get to shoot enough to find any type of shooting boring. I do walk 1.5 miles every day and that got boring pretty quickly.

Thanks for the input everyone.

Re: Prone shooting, breathing, and questions [Re: chital_shikari] #7136626 04/09/18 04:26 PM
J
jeffbird Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J
Originally Posted By: chital_shikari
..I do walk 1.5 miles every day and that got boring pretty quickly.

Chital,

if your goal is to be a leader of men, a leader of fighting men, you have to start living a life of being in the lead.

How you do anything is how you will do everything.

Instead of walking 1.5 miles, get up at 5 a.m. and run 3 - 5 miles 6 days a week.

Make it a goal to be able to run 2 miles in 14 minutes - i.e. sub 7 minute miles.

Today is the first day of the rest of your life.

Re: Prone shooting, breathing, and questions [Re: jeffbird] #7136627 04/09/18 04:30 PM
W
wp75169 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
W
Originally Posted By: jeffbird

Chital,

if your goal is to be a leader of men, a leader of fighting men, you have to start living a life of being in the lead.

Instead of walking 1.5 miles, get up at 5 a.m. and run 3 - 5 miles 6 days a week.

Make it a goal to be able to run 2 miles in 14 minutes - i.e. sub 7 minute miles.

Plus eat right. If your frame is as you say that’s fine, you can build what you want in 6 weeks but diet will be the key

Re: Prone shooting, breathing, and questions [Re: chital_shikari] #7136677 04/09/18 05:10 PM
R
RiverRider Online Confused
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Confused
THF Trophy Hunter
R
Yup, and do it while you're young. It'll pay off as you age.

[Linked Image]

"Arguing with you always makes me thirsty."

-Augustus McRae
Re: Prone shooting, breathing, and questions [Re: jeffbird] #7136723 04/09/18 06:18 PM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S

Chital,

14 minute 2 mile isn’t gonna cut it as a platoon leader lol.

Re: Prone shooting, breathing, and questions [Re: SapperTitan] #7136758 04/09/18 07:34 PM
J
jeffbird Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J

Chital,

If he is only walking 1.5 miles and passing on marches during nice weather, then a 7 minute pace for two miles is going to be a significant goal.

Re: Prone shooting, breathing, and questions [Re: jeffbird] #7136775 04/09/18 08:01 PM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S

Chital,

If he is only walking 1.5 miles and passing on marches during nice weather, then a 7 minute pace for two miles is going to be a significant goal.

if he wants to be the slowest LT in his unit that will be a good goal.

Re: Prone shooting, breathing, and questions [Re: chital_shikari] #7136779 04/09/18 08:08 PM
J
jeffbird Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J
wink Not disagreeing, but he is not going from walking 1.5 miles to running a 6 minute pace in one move.

Give him goals he can attain.

Re: Prone shooting, breathing, and questions [Re: chital_shikari] #7136846 04/09/18 09:33 PM
B
Brother in-law Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B

Not gonna make it

Re: Prone shooting, breathing, and questions [Re: chital_shikari] #7136916 04/09/18 10:26 PM
C
Minor in training
OP Offline
Minor in training
C
I walk 1.5 miles just going from my car to my classes and back to my car. That's what I was referring to. It's no big deal.
The point of bringing that up was to respond to ST comment about how shooting paper is boring. For me, walking is boring. Shooting isn't boring for me. Not yet and probably never. And while I relatively enjoy ruck marches, this was the first opportunity to go shooting with ROTC and I wasn't going to pass it up.

I'm not worried about my 2-mile. I'm taking the spring record APFT on the 20th, if you're so inclined to know how I do, I'll post my results.

back

Re: Prone shooting, breathing, and questions [Re: chital_shikari] #7136964 04/09/18 11:01 PM
J
jeffbird Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J
Good luck to you chital, I really hope you succeed.

Re: Prone shooting, breathing, and questions [Re: jeffbird] #7137050 04/10/18 12:25 AM
R
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Confused
THF Trophy Hunter
R

+1

[Linked Image]

-Augustus McRae
Re: Prone shooting, breathing, and questions [Re: RiverRider] #7137210 04/10/18 03:24 AM
C
Minor in training
OP Offline
Minor in training
C
Originally Posted By: RiverRider

+1
Thank you so much!!!

Re: Prone shooting, breathing, and questions [Re: jeffbird] #7138705 04/12/18 12:14 AM
L
luv2brode Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
L

Chital,

shoot I don't know that any of our butter bars were any better than that. unless they had a tab, maybe, heck my best run was 11 min usually pushing 13-14 minutes myself but I was the old man when I went in. I was 26

i am cancelling my subscription, i am tired of your issues!
Re: Prone shooting, breathing, and questions [Re: chital_shikari] #7138755 04/12/18 01:11 AM
R
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Confused
THF Trophy Hunter
R
When you're a young buck going from zero to hero isn't such a tough road. Different story once you're in your 30s.

[Linked Image]

-Augustus McRae
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide