Page 1 of 2 1 2
Observation about factory rifles #6766709 05/17/17 04:36 PM
K
Korean Redneck Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
K
As a true conservative, facts and figures have always meant more in any circumstance than rhetoric...

So I went to my local gander mountain for their bankruptcy sale. 20% off all firearms. Of all the brands of bolt action rifles they careried; Remington, Winchester, savage and river American amongst others. All sorts of ranges of all brands. Guess which brand of bolt rifles was completely sold out? That's right, No Tikkas to be seen.
I won't say it's the best of whatever, but people speak louder with their wallets than their mouths.

I'm a dude who likes long barrels!
Re: Observation about factory rifles [Re: Korean Redneck] #6766721 05/17/17 05:00 PM
V
Vern1 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
V
I've been there a few times while visiting family in area.
There were never more than two Tikkas in the store at any time I was there.
There were lots of other brands though.

That doesn't mean anything other than they were not there when I was.

Cheers,
Vern1
Texans since The Old 300 in 1824
NRA Lifetime Member
Re: Observation about factory rifles [Re: Korean Redneck] #6766728 05/17/17 05:08 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
How is that lack of any kind of facts suppose to prove anything? All it says to me is you support your own agendas.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Observation about factory rifles [Re: Korean Redneck] #6766729 05/17/17 05:08 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
I BEEN SAYIN IT!

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Observation about factory rifles [Re: Korean Redneck] #6766737 05/17/17 05:16 PM
S
Sneaky Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Essentially, the Tikka supporters will approve of this sort of "science," and the rest will not.

Re: Observation about factory rifles [Re: Korean Redneck] #6766738 05/17/17 05:17 PM
B
Brother in-law Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
That place sucks

Re: Observation about factory rifles [Re: Korean Redneck] #6766768 05/17/17 06:03 PM
T
TDK Online Happy
Extreme Tracker
Online Happy
Extreme Tracker
T
Supply is lower with Tikka.

A.M. Little Bespoke Gunmakers LLC
Re: Observation about factory rifles [Re: Korean Redneck] #6766780 05/17/17 06:20 PM
G
Gone to Texas Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
G
I have a hard time find Tikka's anywhere. They are constantly sold out.

The last 2 I bought were on Gunbroker from out of state.

Tikkas are dependable and they shoot lights out, what more could anyone ask for?

The only thing missing from a good Tikka rifle is a FFP scope!

rifle

Last edited by Gone to Texas; 05/17/17 06:20 PM.
Re: Observation about factory rifles [Re: Korean Redneck] #6766791 05/17/17 06:29 PM
C
ChadTRG42 Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
C
Yes, Tikka's shoot very well. But Tikka is transitioning from the older T3 to the newer T3X models. Gander wouldn't be buying any of the newer T3X models since they are closing, so they would only have the older T3's available. Every gun distributor I buy from marked the T3's down to FFL's, so FFL's would be selling them for less than normal prices already. I don't think that the conclusion based on retail availability at a closing Gander Mtn would mean the Tikka's are the best factory rifles.

But, yes, if I am buying a factory rifle, I'm buying a Tikka! I bought my son a compact Tikka in 308 Win, and it's a hammer. I have shot it out to 700 yards with great results.

[Linked Image]
Custom and Precision Ammunition!!
https://DallasReloads.com/
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: Observation about factory rifles [Re: Korean Redneck] #6766795 05/17/17 06:35 PM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Korean Redneck
As a true conservative, facts and figures have always meant more in any circumstance than rhetoric...

So I went to my local gander mountain for their bankruptcy sale. 20% off all firearms. Of all the brands of bolt action rifles they careried; Remington, Winchester, savage and river American amongst others. All sorts of ranges of all brands. Guess which brand of bolt rifles was completely sold out? That's right, No Tikkas to be seen.
I won't say it's the best of whatever, but people speak louder with their wallets than their mouths.

Interestingly enough I've never hunted with anybody or had anybody come out to hunt that shot a Tikka so I could just as easily say they're not well liked by the masses. When something is not in stock you can look at it two ways, they sold out or they didn't sell enough to warrant keeping in inventory.

Yes! A Weatherby does kill them deader.
Re: Observation about factory rifles [Re: Korean Redneck] #6766801 05/17/17 06:46 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Tikkas are priced affordably with good value so they sell

I personally think they have a cheap feel so I would never buy one.

They don't sell because they are awesome, they sell based on features that you can get at a price point

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Observation about factory rifles [Re: txtrophy85] #6766842 05/17/17 07:28 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted By: txtrophy85

They don't sell because they are awesome, they sell based on features that you can get at a price point

I was all set to buy one, was going to order off gun broker and wanted to handle one before I ordered. Went to a gun shop and from the second I picked it up I just felt like I was holding a plastic pos excuse for a gun. It felt and looked cheaply made and I just like a gun with some heft to it. Yes I'm positive they make a quality gun, but I just couldn't live with the feel/finish.

I bought a savage model 14 classic wood stock with dark stock cap, stainless barrel, and detachable magazine for a little less. Pretty gun, solid feel and the screw holes for the scope base aren't aligned straight muyloco

Should have followed my real gut and bought a vanguard.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Observation about factory rifles [Re: redchevy] #6766859 05/17/17 07:42 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: redchevy

I was all set to buy one, was going to order off gun broker and wanted to handle one before I ordered. Went to a gun shop and from the second I picked it up I just felt like I was holding a plastic pos excuse for a gun. It felt and looked cheaply made and I just like a gun with some heft to it. Yes I'm positive they make a quality gun, but I just couldn't live with the feel/finish.

I bought a savage model 14 classic wood stock with dark stock cap, stainless barrel, and detachable magazine for a little less. Pretty gun, solid feel and the screw holes for the scope base aren't aligned straight muyloco

Weatherby makes a rifle called a mark V you may want to check out...

Re: Observation about factory rifles [Re: Gone to Texas] #6766862 05/17/17 07:47 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Q
Originally Posted By: Gone to Texas
I have a hard time find Tikka's anywhere. They are constantly sold out.

The last 2 I bought were on Gunbroker from out of state.

Tikkas are dependable and they shoot lights out, what more could anyone ask for?

The only thing missing from a good Tikka rifle is a FFP scope!

rifle

Weakley Watson in Early had a bunch last time I was in there. They ran a special last fall on the T3 stainless in .223 for $499

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: Observation about factory rifles [Re: redchevy] #6766867 05/17/17 07:50 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: redchevy

The wood/blue ones are better. But I agree that the Weatherby Vanguards have a better "feel". Certainly the higher end Weatherbys and Sakos do without doubt.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Observation about factory rifles [Re: Vern1] #6766881 05/17/17 08:11 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: Vern1
I've been there a few times while visiting family in area.
There were never more than two Tikkas in the store at any time I was there.
There were lots of other brands though.

That doesn't mean anything other than they were not there when I was.

The GM expansion wasn't met with open arms buy all the brands they sell, so orders where scaled back by the mfg's. Toss in that and tikka is an importer that seldom does a lot of rebating, I bet GM got very limited stock to begin with

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Observation about factory rifles [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #6766954 05/17/17 09:20 PM
R
RiverRider Online Confused
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Confused
THF Trophy Hunter
R
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
But I agree that the Weatherby Vanguards have a better "feel".

Sometimes it is hard to describe the difference between two rifles when one feels so much better than another. I looked at a new 77 Mk.II in .25-06 one day years ago, and it was fine---I could find nothing to dislike. But when the man handed me a Model 70 Classic in .25-06, there was an instant perception of quality in that rifle that the Ruger lacked. I couldn't begin to explain it. All subjective, of course.

[Linked Image]

"Arguing with you always makes me thirsty."

-Augustus McRae
Re: Observation about factory rifles [Re: RiverRider] #6766974 05/17/17 09:46 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: RiverRider

Sometimes it is hard to describe the difference between two rifles when one feels so much better than another. I looked at a new 77 Mk.II in .25-06 one day years ago, and it was fine---I could find nothing to dislike. But when the man handed me a Model 70 Classic in .25-06, there was an instant perception of quality in that rifle that the Ruger lacked. I couldn't begin to explain it. All subjective, of course.

Ruger lost quality when they went to the Hawkeye line and discontinued the Mk. II

Not a ton, but a noticeable difference

Re: Observation about factory rifles [Re: RiverRider] #6766976 05/17/17 09:51 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: RiverRider

May seem silly, but for rifles it's all about the "feel" for me. I like solid, tight lock up, balanced.
Stock fits rifle to my eye when I raise the rifle. That sort of thing. As you say, can't describe it but I know it when I see it. Or "feel" it. For me at least.

That said, I have a cheapo Savage Axis for a truck gun in .308 that "feels" like doodoo but shoots lights out. smile

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Observation about factory rifles [Re: Korean Redneck] #6766984 05/17/17 10:00 PM
J
Jgraider Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
I've been shooting Tikkas for almost 20 years now, starting with the 695's up through the T3's. If I were betting the farm on a factory rifle that will shoot bugholes, with factory ammo, no mods whatsoever, just take it out of the box, mount scope, shoot, I'm betting on a Tikka. You may get lucky with a random sample of other brands that occasionally do it, but that is the norm for Tikkas. I can, however, understand how someone would not like the ergonomics.

Re: Observation about factory rifles [Re: Korean Redneck] #6766985 05/17/17 10:00 PM
T
Texas buckeye Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Nogalus, I know that feeling too...

My rifles in order of purchase: howa 30-06 (solid rifle, like the Hogue stock for grippiness, never shot perfect and I think I jumped the trigger a few times but just didn't give me the laser beam shooting I was looking for)

savage axis xp .243 (kids rifle bought ofr the kids and shoots great out to 100-150 yards, have shot it at 200 but don't like to push it that far. Will print MOA shots all day long at the 100 yard mark and I know it is a consistent hitter. Timney trigger made a big difference to feel but not accuracy, but still has the feel of a plastic stock)

Cooper model 52 25-06 (instant feel of greatness when I cheeked that rifle, good form and fit, just felt like it was made for my body. Shoots sub moa all day long and have had some groups at 1/3 MOA with factory ammo...love that rifle)

Last edited by Texas buckeye; 05/17/17 10:01 PM.
Re: Observation about factory rifles [Re: TDK] #6767046 05/17/17 11:08 PM
H
hoof n wings Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
True, I looked for about 6 months before I bought my last rifle. Each trip to Gander in Arlington, they usually only had 3-4 on the shelves
Originally Posted By: TDK
Supply is lower with Tikka.

Originally Posted by ImTheReasonDovesMourn
I'd ask him if he's pregnant. He missed a s__tload of periods.

Originally Posted by Hancock
I'll take "things that look like a uterus" for $200 Alex.
Re: Observation about factory rifles [Re: Korean Redneck] #6767157 05/18/17 12:51 AM
H
huntwest Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
H
Actually the truth is that Beretta along with a few other companies cut them off in mid 2016 so they had not been getting any Tikka rifles since then. The same with the Weatherby who I work for.
Just look up the list of how much they owe each company and you will see who the smart companies were that jumped of that boat before it sunk.
There are a few companies that are going to struggle to survive because of their willingness to ship Gander when the writing was on the wall and now are owed a million or more dollars.

Re: Observation about factory rifles [Re: Korean Redneck] #6767851 05/18/17 06:11 PM
K
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
K
Haha, I was just being a troll about the comments. The only true statement was what was still available. There are multiple explanations. I have been to that store in like 1.5 years and much has changed. For one, Gander Mountain wasn't bankrupt.

I have a savage, 700 and tikka rifles with the most money in the savage. They all have positives and negatives.

Re: Observation about factory rifles [Re: Korean Redneck] #6767856 05/18/17 06:13 PM
K
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
K
Haha, I was just being a troll about the comments. The only true statement was what was still available. There are multiple explanations. I have been to that store in like 1.5 years and much has changed. For one, Gander Mountain wasn't bankrupt.

I have a savage, 700 and tikka rifles with the most money in the savage. They all have positives and negatives.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide