Yes? No? Why? Thanks.

Re: Christensen Rifles? [Re: westexhunt] #6482943 10/06/16 02:03 AM
T
Theringworm Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
T
Maybe ChadTRG42 will chyme in since that's where I got my info, but he mentioned he has seen several customers with carbon fiber wrapped barrels (not just Christensen, but mainly them) whom while he was working up loads had a heck of a time getting consistent groups. They would string shots all over the place no matter the load.

I have zero experience with them. A friend on mine has one but has never shot it, lol. Hopefully others will reply who actually have more experience with them.

Re: Christensen Rifles? [Re: westexhunt] #6483045 10/06/16 03:01 AM
westexhunt Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
I like the concept, the action is well done, weight is nice, good triggers. Don't like the stock finish, but I never choose form over function (almost never). I just don't want to buy a $2000 rifle that will not shoot. I'm looking at a ridgeline in 300win for hunting out of state (elk and mule deer) and want to be confident for longer ranges. I want a long range rifle I can be confident in and carry all day.

Last edited by westexhunt; 10/06/16 03:02 AM.
Re: Christensen Rifles? [Re: westexhunt] #6483077 10/06/16 03:19 AM
M
Mike Honcho Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Had a Christensen 25-06 about 7-8 yrs ago. For the money I think they are a POS. I must have tried 6-8 powders and nearly ever gr bullet by sierra, Berger, hornady, and even Jlk. Seated at multiple lengths. It NEVER shot better than an inch and mainly 1.25" @ 100 yds. A off the rack savage axis runs circles around it accuracy wise. Is it cool, sure. Cool to throw the name out there, sure if your into that. IMO all form no function. You could build 2 savages that shoot 1/2" at 100 yds for what you'll pay for a Christensen. Now Proof research barrels are the real deal. I'd say every bit as accurate as bartlein and krieger. Just my .02

“Two things that define an individual what you do when you have everything, and what you do when you have nothing."

Re: Christensen Rifles? [Re: westexhunt] #6483085 10/06/16 03:30 AM
T
Tex68w Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
T
I wouldn't buy one with your money. Over priced bling that doesn't perform. Spend your money elsewhere.

Re: Christensen Rifles? [Re: westexhunt] #6483092 10/06/16 03:37 AM
syncerus Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
I just bought recent model in .30-06 caliber with a steel (non-wrapped) barrel. I've only taken it to the range once, but it was shooting into just a hair over 1/2 inch. I too had heard varying things about their quality, but I appear to have gotten a good one. The bottom left group is with Federal blue box 150 grain bullets. The upper group is a handload with 150 grain Sierra GameKings that shoots very well in one of my other rifles; there was no load development done with this rifle.

NRA Patriot Benefactor & DSC Lifer
Re: Christensen Rifles? [Re: westexhunt] #6483142 10/06/16 04:46 AM
westexhunt Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
So far it's all over the board. Thanks for any feedback.

Re: Christensen Rifles? [Re: Mike Honcho] #6483143 10/06/16 04:50 AM
westexhunt Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
Originally Posted By: jorge
Had a Christensen 25-06 about 7-8 yrs ago. For the money I think they are a POS. I must have tried 6-8 powders and nearly ever gr bullet by sierra, Berger, hornady, and even Jlk. Seated at multiple lengths. It NEVER shot better than an inch and mainly 1.25" @ 100 yds. A off the rack savage axis runs circles around it accuracy wise. Is it cool, sure. Cool to throw the name out there, sure if your into that. IMO all form no function. You could build 2 savages that shoot 1/2" at 100 yds for what you'll pay for a Christensen. Now Proof research barrels are the real deal. I'd say every bit as accurate as bartlein and krieger. Just my .02

Southern Precision sells proof research barrels. That's big. I will keep studying before investing.

Re: Christensen Rifles? [Re: westexhunt] #6483428 10/06/16 01:44 PM
C
ChadTRG42 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
First, I never like dogging on a company online, because it is a one sided opinion. But, there are a few that will eventually get the word out on them. Christensen is one of those. I'll start by saying I have shot multiple rifles built by them (complete rifle). Several have been absolute hammers and accuracy was very impressive. It didn't matter what load you shot through it, it would shoot very well. Some others have shot just ok. Several have been absolutely horrible, and would not shoot well at all. The one's that didn't shoot had major stringing problems. Stringing groups are groups that print vertically or diagonally. The bad thing about these groups are that each shot causes it to walk in a stringing pattern as you shoot it. One shot will start high, and each shot after that will walk lower and lower and lower. Also, the next group you shoot (after letting the barrel cool), the first shot would have a different point of impact (POI) from the previous groups, or other groups, and then start the stringing groups from the new POI. I have MULTIPLE targets that show this.

Point in case is a very high end 338 Lapua I just finished up load work up about a month ago. It was a complete rifle build by Christensen that my customer had saved up his money ($12,000 for the entire build!!) to finally buy his first high end rifle. Rifle looked great with good glass on top. I began testing it at 200 yards. The shots at 200 I could not even keep near my aiming points without other shots crossing into other groups. My target looked like a shotgun pattern. So, I backed it up to 100 yards. Once at 100, I could see what it was doing- stringing REALLY bad- 3"-5" stringing groups. I had noticed that the barrel was bedded about 1" past the recoil lug. Generally you stop your bedding at the recoil lug, so the barrel is fully free floated. Now, remember it is a carbon fiber barrel. From where the barrel screws into the action, there is about 3/8" of solid barrel steel, then the carbon fiber wrap begins. So, the 1" section where barrel is bedded has 2 different materials that is bedded- the first ~3/8" of barrel steel, then the remaining carbon fiber section that's bedded. This can NOT be good. I called and spoke to Christensen about this, and with their permission, I free floated this area. Reshoot it, and same stringing groups problem. (Now remember, I'm shoot a 338 Lapua at $4.50 per round!) We call Christensen and explain the stringing groups issue and they want the rifle. I send them the rifle and they shoot it. They "guarantee" their 338 calibers to shoot 1 moa or better. They send it back with their electronic test target with a 3 shot group at .97 moa. Guess what the group looked like- straight up and down! I called them and they said they put over 20+ rounds down it, and never saw an issue. Ok, let me see the target. No target to be had, other than the 3 electronic shots. I ask how many shots did it take before you got this 3 shot group- unknown? Christensen takes on the attitude that their rifle meets their standards and there is no problem with the rifle. I deleted my pictures of the 1" bedding of the barrel. I still have the target pics, but not posted. I find it a bad deal when a company knows they have a problem, but won't fix it.

So would I spend the money on a craps shoot to buy a Christensen rifle- not just no, but F NO!

[Linked Image]
Custom and Precision Ammunition!!
https://DallasReloads.com/
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: Christensen Rifles? [Re: westexhunt] #6484304 10/06/16 10:43 PM
B
Buzzsaw Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
too commercial, the Ridgeline models are built to sell , they are cheap

The only carbon wrapped gun I would buy would be built with a Proof Research Barrel with custom parts by a GOOD Gunsmith

I think the show on TV who started with Christen Arms have moved to the Fierce Rifles now.

For $2,000, there are many rifles which will shoot better

Take a SERIOUS look at the new Cooper Backcountry....I'd start here...

Re: Christensen Rifles? [Re: syncerus] #6486016 10/08/16 03:35 AM
M
Mike Honcho Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Originally Posted By: syncerus
I just bought recent model in .30-06 caliber with a steel (non-wrapped) barrel. I've only taken it to the range once, but it was shooting into just a hair over 1/2 inch. I too had heard varying things about their quality, but I appear to have gotten a good one. The bottom left group is with Federal blue box 150 grain bullets. The upper group is a handload with 150 grain Sierra GameKings that shoots very well in one of my other rifles; there was no load development done with this rifle.

Mine was a carbon wrapped bbl fwiw

“Two things that define an individual what you do when you have everything, and what you do when you have nothing."

Re: Christensen Rifles? [Re: westexhunt] #6490344 10/11/16 01:41 PM
westexhunt Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
Gonna pass on the Christensen. Thanks for info.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide