Page 1 of 2 1 2
Jarheads new rifle - H&K #7034707 01/11/18 09:28 PM
D
dkershen Online Content OP
Rev Dave
OP Online Content
Rev Dave
D
http://nationalinterest.org/blog/the-buzz/the-heckler-koch-m27-the-marines-new-rifle-24019

Anyone have a civilian version of this rifle (The HK416)? Thoughts?

To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.

www.NewHopeEquine.com - Health and Healing through Horses.
Re: Jarheads new rifle - H&K [Re: dkershen] #7034800 01/11/18 10:54 PM
T
Theringworm Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
T
“I could kit out every grunt in the Marine Corps with the coolest sh*t head-to-toe for $100 million,” Neller said. “And I intend to do that.”

Who cares about the gun, this guy ^^^^^^^^ sounds like someone I want on my side! Cool gun by the way.

Re: Jarheads new rifle - H&K [Re: dkershen] #7034860 01/11/18 11:58 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
5.56mm bang

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Jarheads new rifle - H&K [Re: J.G.] #7034881 01/12/18 12:13 AM
J
jeffbird Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J
Originally Posted By: FiremanJG
5.56mm bang

Not even a serious option to change right now for a rifleman/infantryman.

Logistics needs to supply all of them and they have to have compatibility with the NATO and allied forces.

5.56 is the universal option at this point.

For an infantryman, the number and weight of rounds is important.

100 rounds of 5.56 is about 2.7 pounds.

100 rounds of 7.62, the only other viable option, is 5.25 pounds.

So for the same amount of weight on the back, they can carry twice as many rounds of 5.56 as 7.62.

A sniper or designated marksman is a whole different issue than guys out on patrol needing to haul as much ammo as possible.

One other factor for the logistics guys, a bullet that uses half as much brass, lead, copper, and powder allows for production of twice as many rounds in a time of war when commodities and supplies may be stretched thin.

Soldiers win battles, logistics can lose a war.

Like Gen. Neller's thinking, nice rifle. up

Hope Leupold will build to the level of quality they are capable of.

Re: Jarheads new rifle - H&K [Re: dkershen] #7034931 01/12/18 12:52 AM
K
Kevin1 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
K
.224 valkyrie bolt

Re: Jarheads new rifle - H&K [Re: Theringworm] #7034946 01/12/18 01:05 AM
Bee'z Online Happy
The Beedazzler
Online Happy
The Beedazzler
Originally Posted By: Theringworm
“I could kit out every grunt in the Marine Corps with the coolest sh*t head-to-toe for $100 million,” Neller said. “And I intend to do that.”

Who cares about the gun, this guy ^^^^^^^^ sounds like someone I want on my side! Cool gun by the way.

GD right flag

[Linked Image]
Re: Jarheads new rifle - H&K [Re: jeffbird] #7034963 01/12/18 01:15 AM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: jeffbird
5.56mm bang

Logistics needs to supply all of them and they have to have compatibility with the NATO and allied forces.

So for the same amount of weight on the back, they can carry twice as many rounds of 5.56 as 7.62.

A sniper or designated marksman is a whole different issue than guys out on patrol needing to haul as much ammo as possible.

One other factor for the logistics guys, a bullet that uses half as much brass, lead, copper, and powder allows for production of twice as many rounds in a time of war when commodities and supplies may be stretched thin.

If this isn't the time to switch over to the 6.5 Grendel, when is the time?

I've had customers that are combat veterans. Several have told me of the enemy "fanning" themselves when hit with a 5.56mm at 300+ yards. They don't go down, and stop fighting. Guess where those SOBs fight from? Go back in the annals of "American Rifleman" and look at the article "Taking back the half mile". The 5.56mm is not effective at 400+ yards. They revamped the designated marksman program and pulled M-14's out of storage. Test fired, and scoped the best ones.

Give those Marines, and soldiers 6.5 Grendels and see an improvement of the number of dead and wounded enemy.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: Jarheads new rifle - H&K [Re: dkershen] #7034974 01/12/18 01:21 AM
S
SR025 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Plenty of souls have been snatched with 5.56

Re: Jarheads new rifle - H&K [Re: SR025] #7035020 01/12/18 01:45 AM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: SR025
Plenty of souls have been snatched with 5.56

Well of course.

And what I wrote above, is also true.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: Jarheads new rifle - H&K [Re: dkershen] #7035045 01/12/18 02:04 AM
S
scottfromdallas Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
5.56 would be much more effective with bullets specifically designed to create as much damage as possible, not something that is yaw dependent.

Give them 77 grain bonded tip bullet with a high BC.

Re: Jarheads new rifle - H&K [Re: dkershen] #7035055 01/12/18 02:10 AM
J
jeffbird Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J
Not disagreeing with you about ballistics.

But, changing ammo for all of NATO and allied armies is a monumentally huge task. It can happen, but takes a lot of political buy-in and will be led by the Army. They are working on it. Seems like the new Commander-in-Chief is pretty good at kicking bureaucratic butts to get things moving. Would not be surprising to see a change on the horizon sooner rather than later, unless the swamp creatures drag him down.

Re: Jarheads new rifle - H&K [Re: jeffbird] #7035090 01/12/18 02:32 AM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S
5.56mm bang

I walked almost 2000 kilometers my last deployment on combat patrols and dismounted route clearance. The last thing I cared about with all that BS gear on was how much my ammo weighed. With all the SAPI plates, smoke grenades, GPS, combat groin protector/armor, weapon, IOTV body armor, ACH, mine detector, heavy azz packs on our backs to protect against RCIEDs, the list goes on. I wouldn’t have had an issue carrying a few extra pounds of ammo in something like 6.8 SPC. Hell my SAW gunner carried 600 rounds on every patrol in his pack. I’d sacrifice the light weight of 5.56 for something that would punch a little bigger hole.

Re: Jarheads new rifle - H&K [Re: scottfromdallas] #7035137 01/12/18 03:07 AM
T
Tactical Cowboy Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: scottfromdallas
5.56 would be much more effective with bullets specifically designed to create as much damage as possible, not something that is yaw dependent.

Give them 77 grain bonded tip bullet with a high BC.

Or with fast 55 grain or lighter bullets, like it was designed for.

And using it at 300 yards or less, like it was designed for.

The .223/M16/M4 is not a do-all, fits all platform. However, that’s what it is being forced to do.

The secret to a long life is to try not to shorten it.
Re: Jarheads new rifle - H&K [Re: jeffbird] #7035157 01/12/18 03:23 AM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Not disagreeing with you about ballistics.

But, changing ammo for all of NATO and allied armies is a monumentally huge task. It can happen, but takes a lot of political buy-in and will be led by the Army. They are working on it. Seems like the new Commander-in-Chief is pretty good at kicking bureaucratic butts to get things moving. Would not be surprising to see a change on the horizon sooner rather than later, unless the swamp creatures drag him down.

These things are what frustrate those of us that are expected to see, assess, solve, and move to the next problem as efficiently, and correctly as humanly possible. I hate seeing things take years, that could take months, in the hands of do-ers that'll kick in the door amd sort some [censored] out.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: Jarheads new rifle - H&K [Re: SapperTitan] #7035159 01/12/18 03:24 AM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: SapperTitan
5.56mm bang

I walked almost 2000 kilometers my last deployment on combat patrols and dismounted route clearance. The last thing I cared about with all that BS gear on was how much my ammo weighed. With all the SAPI plates, smoke grenades, GPS, combat groin protector/armor, weapon, IOTV body armor, ACH, mine detector, heavy azz packs on our backs to protect against RCIEDs, the list goes on. I wouldn’t have had an issue carrying a few extra pounds of ammo in something like 6.8 SPC. Hell my SAW gunner carried 600 rounds on every patrol in his pack. I’d sacrifice the light weight of 5.56 for something that would punch a little bigger hole.

^^And there you have it.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: Jarheads new rifle - H&K [Re: dkershen] #7035163 01/12/18 03:27 AM
68A Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Hague convention of 1907 restricts us to FMJ. The round was designed to wound, not kill. To wound is to use up valuable resources like medics, transports, dr, etc. Essentially costing someone a lot more money and resources than if we used SP, HP etc, that were designed to kill. Doubt we’ll ever see a shift from 5.56, the logistics of that would be a nightmare. Having said that, If it were up to me I’d go back to the old 30-06.

Re: Jarheads new rifle - H&K [Re: 68A] #7035627 01/12/18 03:58 PM
S
SnakeWrangler Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S

Why the M27 IAR is NOT the right rifle for the Marine Corps.......

Quote:
In brief, the M27 is a fine weapon that undoubtedly provides an improvement in capability versus existing USMC small arms. It is also, however, already a dated system representing a decade-old state of the art that has been surpassed by more refined commercial improvements to the AR-15 family, which includes the M4 Carbine and M16A4 Rifle. The M27 itself is also not the best host candidate for upgrade, since it is fundamentally hampered by its gas system design. Since the M27’s selection, off-the-shelf or otherwise non-developmental solutions have arisen which leverage both existing M4 and M16A4 receivers and the commercial market to provide potentially equal or greater capability at lower cost and weight. Implementing these improved solutions instead of a fleet-wide adoption of the M27 would also expand the number of avenues of procurement for the Marine Corps, speeding delivery of much needed upgraded weapons to Marines at the front. In short, an M4/M16A4 upgrade program would provide a more capable, lighter, and cheaper solution that is quicker and easier to procure, and which wouldn’t tie the Corps to any one company for its future rifle needs.

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: Jarheads new rifle - H&K [Re: J.G.] #7035688 01/12/18 04:21 PM
C
Crews Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C

I'm not certain that 6.5 Grendel has the stellar reputation for reliably feeding in an AR platform like 556 does. Not that it's bad or anything, just saying it doesn't compare to the battle tested history of the incumbent. I couldn't even begin to understand what it's like to be a soldier, but still if I was up in the mountains of Afghanistan I'd damned sure think I'd be wanting some 6.5 bullets to fling at my adversaries.

Re: Jarheads new rifle - H&K [Re: dkershen] #7035751 01/12/18 04:57 PM
KRoyal Online Sleepy
Texoma Legend
Online Sleepy
Texoma Legend
If anything they should switch over the SR25 platform and use 7.62x51. Yea it is heavier than 5.56, but 7.62x51 is already a NATO round and has wayyyy more energy on target. The 16" SR25's only a bit heavier and longer than the 16" M4 rifles. To me its a no brainier, but what do I know.

[Linked Image]

Re: Jarheads new rifle - H&K [Re: dkershen] #7035761 01/12/18 05:06 PM
C
Chris42 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
I would be truly surprised if they changed the rifle system out. Small arms kill so much fewer people compared to artillery, air planes, and mortars. The effectiveness of other intermediate cartridges aren't that much better to justify the billions in cost to transition, and the cost per kill would be higher still.

Honestly, I don't think they will change until they have a truly revolutionary jump in cartridges. Just my uneducated opinion.

Re: Jarheads new rifle - H&K [Re: J.G.] #7035971 01/12/18 08:38 PM
T
tenyearsgone Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
T
5.56mm bang

I've had customers that are combat veterans. Several have told me of the enemy "fanning" themselves when hit with a 5.56mm at 300+ yards. They don't go down, and stop fighting. Guess where those SOBs fight from? Go back in the annals of "American Rifleman" and look at the article "Taking back the half mile". The 5.56mm is not effective at 400+ yards. They revamped the designated marksman program and pulled M-14's out of storage. Test fired, and scoped the best ones.

Give those Marines, and soldiers 6.5 Grendels and see an improvement of the number of dead and wounded enemy.

No you wouldn't. Your average infantry guy isn't taking calm calculated shots in a firefight. The only thing that would be accomplished is spraying more expensive ammo at the enemy. At best, we took half aimed shots.

Anything over a couple hundred meters should be dealt with by air or indirect fire. If you really have to give them more capability, issue MK262. I didn't like lugging any more weight than I had to in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Re: Jarheads new rifle - H&K [Re: dkershen] #7036002 01/12/18 09:02 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
So with the same hit ratio, a larger heavier bullet isn't going to produce better termimal performance?

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: Jarheads new rifle - H&K [Re: dkershen] #7036026 01/12/18 09:25 PM
T
tenyearsgone Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
T
A .224 bullet does some grievous damage from what I've seen. I know a 7.62 will do even more, but it's still not worth the extra weight. Carrying more weight requires more water and food; it's not just an ammo weight difference.

You can hit a man size target at ease with 5.56 if you have good conditions. In battle, you're catching a target in your red dot/irons for an instant and taking them down.

Re: Jarheads new rifle - H&K [Re: dkershen] #7036076 01/12/18 10:16 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Interesting article.

http://www.shootingtimes.com/ammo/6-5mm-grendel-the-round-the-military-ought-to-have/

I can't find what a loaded cartridge of 6.5 Grendel weighs. I'm curious.
What did you tote, ten 30 round mags of 5.56mm?

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: Jarheads new rifle - H&K [Re: J.G.] #7036116 01/12/18 10:50 PM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S
Interesting article.

http://www.shootingtimes.com/ammo/6-5mm-grendel-the-round-the-military-ought-to-have/

I can't find what a loaded cartridge of 6.5 Grendel weighs. I'm curious.
What did you tote, ten 30 round mags of 5.56mm?
basic combat load is 7 mags so 210 Rounds. I usually carried a few extra mags just in case.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide