Print Thread
Help on a gun value on Winchester #6913695 10/09/17 11:02 AM
B
blackcoal Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
B
I have a Winchester 42, plain jane model. Finding confirmed sales has been hard. Asking prices are quite varied, since there are different variations. I don't want to ship it to NYC so auction prices are not that helpful. Does anyone have one or seen any actual sales in Metroplex area?

The Greatest Enemy of knowledge is not ignorance,
it is the illusion of knowledge.--Stephen Hawking
Re: Help on a gun value on Winchester [Re: blackcoal] #6913710 10/09/17 11:33 AM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
It's hard to pin down a price on nice older guns.
Condition is key. I'm hesitant to throw a number out without a pic.

But good plain field grade model 42s will sell in the $1600-2000 range.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Help on a gun value on Winchester [Re: blackcoal] #6913769 10/09/17 12:38 PM
C
colt45-90 Offline
Texas colt45
Texas colt45
C
several listed (I am sure you checked) on gunbroker, no bids, blue book of gun values shows standard grade 100% @ 2275, 60% @ 1100. this is what a lot of dealers use. I think NP is right.

hold on Newt, we got a runaway
Re: Help on a gun value on Winchester [Re: blackcoal] #6914680 10/09/17 10:56 PM
B
blackcoal Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Over the past three years I have tried to get an idea and as close as I can tell the price should be 1700-1900 but still hard to tell from gunbroker because you have to consider their sale price is the highest it would bring in a nationwide auction plus shipping/insurance but then the seller has a fee to pay gunbroker. This is a one owner gun until I received it from the owner who died in 1973 and I received it in 2010 and it was still loaded with ammo. Gun was manufactured in 1962 and doubt if one box of ammo was fired in it. Would still appreciate any known value on sold guns.

The Greatest Enemy of knowledge is not ignorance,
it is the illusion of knowledge.--Stephen Hawking
Re: Help on a gun value on Winchester [Re: blackcoal] #6916358 10/11/17 10:51 AM
B
beech96w Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
My $0.02 on GB prices.

If you login, go to advanced, and search in completed auctions. Then click on "bids" twice, to get the list sorted on max number of bids. This is likely the highest price you should expect for an auctioned item. Any of the listings with 0 bids or no-sale due to reserve are irrelevant comparisons.

For a local sale, you have a smaller market and would likely not find a buyer at the full auction price.

low: http://www.gunbroker.com/item/698844913
high: http://www.gunbroker.com/item/692524482

Re: Help on a gun value on Winchester [Re: blackcoal] #6916370 10/11/17 11:15 AM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: blackcoal
Over the past three years I have tried to get an idea and as close as I can tell the price should be 1700-1900 but still hard to tell from gunbroker because you have to consider their sale price is the highest it would bring in a nationwide auction plus shipping/insurance but then the seller has a fee to pay gunbroker. This is a one owner gun until I received it from the owner who died in 1973 and I received it in 2010 and it was still loaded with ammo. Gun was manufactured in 1962 and doubt if one box of ammo was fired in it. Would still appreciate any known value on sold guns.

I have known of at least 2 that have sold in the range above. If your gun is pristine/95-98% as it sounds your value is about right. What exactly you get is a function of how you sell it, how patient you are in waiting for a certain price, the bidders that happen to be playing (if you go with an auction), etc.

If you are familiar with Gunbroker and use it, you can always set a reserve price. For a pristine 42, there is someone out there who would pay $2K - the trick is getting it exposed to that person. Good, clear, close-up photographs will go a long way towards selling it. You could even put it on here first to see if there are any takers at your price (whatever that is). I do that sometimes. Sometimes it sells, sometimes it doesn't. I know there are a few Winchester aficionados on here. I am one, but for rifles.

To avoid the costs/hassle/time I often will sell for less on here than I would want in an auction. As you point out, at the end of the day it's about the money that ends up in your pocket (not just selling price). Time is money too. I would probably sell a gun for $1500 on here that I would want $1750 for if I had to auction it on GB. But that's just me. My best guess is you could get $1500 easily for it, maybe up to $1750 - but beyond that would take a little time and exposure.

I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Help on a gun value on Winchester [Re: beech96w] #6916381 10/11/17 11:26 AM
P
patriot07 Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
P
Originally Posted By: beech96w
My $0.02 on GB prices.

If you login, go to advanced, and search in completed auctions. Then click on "bids" twice, to get the list sorted on max number of bids. This is likely the highest price you should expect for an auctioned item. Any of the listings with 0 bids or no-sale due to reserve are irrelevant comparisons.

For a local sale, you have a smaller market and would likely not find a buyer at the full auction price.

low: http://www.gunbroker.com/item/698844913
high: http://www.gunbroker.com/item/692524482
Comparing to sold auctions is smart, but you have to add in the shipping price and FFL fee since the buyer is paying those and likely wouldn't have to pay them for a local face to face sale. They won't make much difference on expensive guns, but they can make a very big difference on cheaper guns.

Re: Help on a gun value on Winchester [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #6916416 10/11/17 12:13 PM
C
colt45-90 Offline
Texas colt45
Texas colt45
C
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

I have known of at least 2 that have sold in the range above. If your gun is pristine/95-98% as it sounds your value is about right. What exactly you get is a function of how you sell it, how patient you are in waiting for a certain price, the bidders that happen to be playing (if you go with an auction), etc.

If you are familiar with Gunbroker and use it, you can always set a reserve price. For a pristine 42, there is someone out there who would pay $2K - the trick is getting it exposed to that person. Good, clear, close-up photographs will go a long way towards selling it. You could even put it on here first to see if there are any takers at your price (whatever that is). I do that sometimes. Sometimes it sells, sometimes it doesn't. I know there are a few Winchester aficionados on here. I am one, but for rifles.

To avoid the costs/hassle/time I often will sell for less on here than I would want in an auction. As you point out, at the end of the day it's about the money that ends up in your pocket (not just selling price). Time is money too. I would probably sell a gun for $1500 on here that I would want $1750 for if I had to auction it on GB. But that's just me. My best guess is you could get $1500 easily for it, maybe up to $1750 - but beyond that would take a little time and exposure.
+1, the only problem with setting reserves, lots of buyers won't bid, no reserve will always get the bids, there are ways to protect your self on no reserve auctions. up

Last edited by colt45; 10/11/17 12:14 PM.

hold on Newt, we got a runaway
Re: Help on a gun value on Winchester [Re: colt45-90] #6916877 10/11/17 06:38 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: colt45
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

+1, the only problem with setting reserves, lots of buyers won't bid, no reserve will always get the bids, there are ways to protect your self on no reserve auctions. up

That is a fact. It's usually less of a problem for collector guns like this one, but certainly can be an issue.

Re: Help on a gun value on Winchester [Re: blackcoal] #6916916 10/11/17 07:21 PM
B
Buzzsaw Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
it will all depend on condition but from what you say it should bring top dollar. It is a tough time to sell guns now .

This is one of my holy grail guns, shot one many times while I was working at Elm Fork (Winchester Gun Club) back in the 60's/70's. They had one which was customized by Simmons with a Cutts Compensator.

I'll agree with NP on value

SPACE FOR RENT

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide