Page 1 of 2 1 2
Post Sandy Hook gougers: Let’s not forget! #6861213 08/19/17 02:29 AM
K
Kevin1 Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
K
I’m sure you all remember what happened. Businesses like Cheaper Than Dirt were showing out of stock items with the usual price, and in stock items were super inflated (like $3850 for a Colt 6920).

Do you remember those that were gouging? I believe at some point there was a list of those businesses on this forum.

Can you please post a link to that thread or provide a list of those businesses that did that? I want to make sure I don’t inadvertently purchase anything from them! CDT is the only one I remember. I’m sure there were others.

Re: Post Sandy Hook gougers: Let’s not forget! [Re: Kevin1] #6861285 08/19/17 03:56 AM
C
ckat Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
IIRC, CDNN was buying up all the .22s at one time and stockpiling/gouging with them. I giggle every time I see one of their flyers that touts their "SALE" prices... Still over what we can buy them for all day, every day at Academy, etc.

Re: Post Sandy Hook gougers: Let’s not forget! [Re: Kevin1] #6861322 08/19/17 07:43 AM
S
Sneaky Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
They sold items for what people payed. That's how a free market works. Of course, everyone is free to avoid them, by the same principle. I'll just keep shopping like I always have.

Re: Post Sandy Hook gougers: Let’s not forget! [Re: Kevin1] #6861334 08/19/17 10:49 AM
J
jeepercreeper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Who is more to blame? Retailers, politicians, or the consumers that paid inflated prices? If you owned a gun business what would you have done? Idiot consumers come in and buy all your inventory and turn around and sell it on GB for a profit. Meanwhile you have bare shelves in your store, didnt make all that much profit, and still have to pay rent, labor, etc. Gun stores are not your friends, they are in the business of making money.

Re: Post Sandy Hook gougers: Let’s not forget! [Re: Kevin1] #6861376 08/19/17 12:13 PM
Y
yotehater Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Y
CTD was about the most shameful. I will do without something before I would buy it from them. Not to mention the gouging they do on shipping.

One shot is all it should take.
Re: Post Sandy Hook gougers: Let’s not forget! [Re: Sneaky] #6861382 08/19/17 12:20 PM
T
TexFlip Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: Sneaky
They sold items for what people payed. That's how a free market works. Of course, everyone is free to avoid them, by the same principle. I'll just keep shopping like I always have.

I agree. Might want to look into the definition of "gouging".

I made a little coin after SH myself selling Pmags on gunbroker. I would list them for a penny with no reserve and free shipping. The market drove the price.

Originally Posted by unclebubba
Just to make sure that it is done thoroughly, I go both ways.

Re: Post Sandy Hook gougers: Let’s not forget! [Re: Kevin1] #6861417 08/19/17 01:06 PM
G
garyrapp55 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
G
Capitalism, supply and demand, if you want regulated prices take a trip to China and see how much firearms related products you can buy, I won't knock anyone for boycotting due to their belief, it's a free country thankfully, but that's why prices are also free to be set by the business, you think it's too high don't buy it, obviously you should buy from the guy with the best price and service, that's what I will do now, that's what I did then

$3850 for a Colt 6920 you say during the panic, I'm sure you bought yours from the guy that had it at half that price, because he had one in stock, right

Re: Post Sandy Hook gougers: Let’s not forget! [Re: Kevin1] #6861465 08/19/17 01:50 PM
K
Kevin1 Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
K
I understand supply and demanded. I also have no problem with small businesses.
I’m more focused on big names. Not everyone behaved liked CDT. MidwayUSA, Palmetto any many more kept their usual prices. It was on first come first serve basis or they limited their sales to 2 or 3 boxes of ammo/ client for example. In 2017, those are the ones getting my business.

Re: Post Sandy Hook gougers: Let’s not forget! [Re: Kevin1] #6861473 08/19/17 01:54 PM
Grizz Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
My issue with CTD was not as much the prices they were charging (although it was completely ridiculous). It was all the people who had just ordered rifles receiving order cancellations from them because they were suddenly "out of stock", then immediately getting another email saying they were back in stock at 2-3 times the original price. They will never get another penny from me.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Re: Post Sandy Hook gougers: Let’s not forget! [Re: Kevin1] #6861474 08/19/17 01:56 PM
B
Buzzsaw Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Don't look now but Ruger and Hornady have an under the table agreement with Hogdons on "most" of the H-4350 for their factory ammo. I also think Federal is in it too with their 210M primers

Re: Post Sandy Hook gougers: Let’s not forget! [Re: Kevin1] #6861496 08/19/17 02:20 PM
B
blackcoal Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B

"I ain't here for a long time, I'm here for a good time"

clap

You are going to love retirement !!!

woot

I can hear the siren song of Juanita Slusher calling now "Mr Buzz, come on down & lemme show you my guns" ...

The Greatest Enemy of knowledge is not ignorance,
it is the illusion of knowledge.--Stephen Hawking
Re: Post Sandy Hook gougers: Let’s not forget! [Re: Buzzsaw] #6861504 08/19/17 02:29 PM
A
aggiehunter03 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
A
Originally Posted By: Buzzsaw
Don't look now but Ruger and Hornady have an under the table agreement with Hogdons on "most" of the H-4350 for their factory ammo. I also think Federal is in it too with their 210M primers

That's ok with me. I don't have a 6.5 CM and everything I load for except one eats the 14 pounds of Varget I have just fine.

Re: Post Sandy Hook gougers: Let’s not forget! [Re: garyrapp55] #6861820 08/19/17 08:47 PM
N
NORML as can be Online Content
^^Cut the Cord^^
Online Content
^^Cut the Cord^^
N
Originally Posted By: garyrapp55
Capitalism, supply and demand, if you want regulated prices take a trip to China and see how much firearms related products you can buy, I won't knock anyone for boycotting due to their belief, it's a free country thankfully, but that's why prices are also free to be set by the business, you think it's too high don't buy it, obviously you should buy from the guy with the best price and service, that's what I will do now, that's what I did then

$3850 for a Colt 6920 you say during the panic, I'm sure you bought yours from the guy that had it at half that price, because he had one in stock, right

I'll never forget selling a my used Rock River Arms LAR15 on GunBroker "during the panic" sold it with 10 GI Metal Mags and Winning Bid was $3300. the guy overnighted payment and paid for Priority Shipping..

I love America.

(R-TX) .-- " TCNN CURL CRLB VFF VRNO AYR SNDL CGC TLRY MSOS "

_=====___=________==-

Re: Post Sandy Hook gougers: Let’s not forget! [Re: Kevin1] #6861846 08/19/17 09:04 PM
The Dude Abides Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
No one gouged any body. Retailer set a price based on demand. If someone paid the high asking price then they got what they deserved.

Originally Posted by Superduty
I am still looking for the perfect apron, one with reinforced knee areas would be perfect.

Re: Post Sandy Hook gougers: Let’s not forget! [Re: Kevin1] #6861856 08/19/17 09:16 PM
Y
yotehater Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Y
An upside down gun.

One shot is all it should take.
Re: Post Sandy Hook gougers: Let’s not forget! [Re: Kevin1] #6861943 08/19/17 10:32 PM
B
Buzzsaw Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
I'm gouging the he77 out of people on these eclipse glasses

Re: Post Sandy Hook gougers: Let’s not forget! [Re: Buzzsaw] #6862162 08/20/17 01:43 AM
Grizz Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Buzzsaw
I'm gouging the he77 out of people on these eclipse glasses

Great idea! I'm going to buy up a bunch of cheap reading glasses and paint them black. banana

Re: Post Sandy Hook gougers: Let’s not forget! [Re: The Dude Abides] #6862179 08/20/17 01:51 AM
E
Erny Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
E
Originally Posted By: TXGUNNER308
No one gouged any body. Retailer set a price based on demand. If someone paid the high asking price then they got what they deserved.

That's not true. Cheaper than Dirt cancelled order prior to Sandy Hook. They refunded the money and than told people it was out of stock. Changed the inventory number and said I could order it at the new price which was double the the original order price. That's price gouging.

Re: Post Sandy Hook gougers: Let’s not forget! [Re: Grizz] #6862192 08/20/17 02:03 AM
G
garyrapp55 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
G
Originally Posted By: Grizz
My issue with CTD was not as much the prices they were charging (although it was completely ridiculous). It was all the people who had just ordered rifles receiving order cancellations from them because they were suddenly "out of stock", then immediately getting another email saying they were back in stock at 2-3 times the original price. They will never get another penny from me.

I can respect your stance toward CTD for that. That is bad business, not gouging.

Re: Post Sandy Hook gougers: Let’s not forget! [Re: Erny] #6862206 08/20/17 02:13 AM
B
blackcoal Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted By: Erny

That's not true. Cheaper than Dirt cancelled order prior to Sandy Hook. They refunded the money and than told people it was out of stock. Changed the inventory number and said I could order it at the new price which was double the the original order price. That's price gouging.

In the strict sense of the term, I believe you are describing profiteering as opposed to gouging. Just like people who sat outside Academy or Walmart waiting for ammo to hit the shelves then reselling for higher prices. Just my understanding of actual examples. Gouging is more in line with emergency items, food, medical, gasoline, water type items. I felt bad when I bought a pistol at Cabelas and was then told there was no ammo and they had no idea when there would be any.Fortunately I was able to find some at CTD. And actually at a lower price than posted on Cabelas empty shelf.

The Greatest Enemy of knowledge is not ignorance,
it is the illusion of knowledge.--Stephen Hawking
Re: Post Sandy Hook gougers: Let’s not forget! [Re: blackcoal] #6862284 08/20/17 04:00 AM
The Dude Abides Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: blackcoal

In the strict sense of the term, I believe you are describing profiteering as opposed to gouging. Just like people who sat outside Academy or Walmart waiting for ammo to hit the shelves then reselling for higher prices. Just my understanding of actual examples. Gouging is more in line with emergency items, food, medical, gasoline, water type items. I felt bad when I bought a pistol at Cabelas and was then told there was no ammo and they had no idea when there would be any.Fortunately I was able to find some at CTD. And actually at a lower price than posted on Cabelas empty shelf.

This^...underline; bold.

Originally Posted by Superduty
I am still looking for the perfect apron, one with reinforced knee areas would be perfect.

Re: Post Sandy Hook gougers: Let’s not forget! [Re: Erny] #6862321 08/20/17 05:33 AM
S
Sneaky Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S

That's just dirty.

Re: Post Sandy Hook gougers: Let’s not forget! [Re: garyrapp55] #6862381 08/20/17 12:52 PM
Grizz Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: garyrapp55

I can respect your stance toward CTD for that. That is bad business, not gouging.

I agree it's not gouging, just sorry people doing sorry things.

Re: Post Sandy Hook gougers: Let’s not forget! [Re: Sneaky] #6862497 08/20/17 03:23 PM
J
JCB Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
J
Originally Posted By: Sneaky

That's just dirty.

Yep it happened to me too! Only they took it a step farther with me.

They cancelled the suddenly high demand part of my order and shipped the no demand items. BUT.....they didn't bother to tell me they had canceled the high demand part of my order until AFTER my no demand items were already shipped and on the way because they knew I would just cancel the whole order. As if that wasn't bad enough they still charged me an extreme amount of shipping as if they had sent my whole order even though the parts I got weighed about 3 ounces. I called them on the phone and threatened to challenge it with my CC company and they refunded most of the shipping charges at that point. Oh......and the "out of stock" items they cancelled were suddenly available at about a 400% mark up. hammer

What they did to me was not "price gouging" but it was extremely bad business and that's why they have struggled since things have settled down.

Re: Post Sandy Hook gougers: Let’s not forget! [Re: Grizz] #6862506 08/20/17 03:31 PM
D
Deerhunter61 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D

Bad business really doesn't describe this accurately. I believe you can do business the right way and I do believe in supply and demand but when you have a contract, money has exchanged hands, and then it's cancelled because the retailer has a chance to make more profit...perhaps they have the right to do this but then I too have the right to never do business with them and this is my choice where CTD is.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide