Forums46
Topics536,993
Posts9,719,223
Members86,987
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
What's the attraction in shooting handgun calibers from a rifle? #6794881 06/16/17 12:26 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
I've noticed that Henry offers several rifle models that shoot traditional handgun caliber bullets.

So what's the attraction in shooting a rifle with such poor distance-shooting performance? For example, a .357 would need to be zeroed almost 8 inches high at 100 yards for a 150 yard zero. A typical rifle caliber would require only an inch or so of height at 100 yards for that same zero distance.

Perhaps owners are shooting their own hand loads to get better performance.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 06/16/17 12:31 PM.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: What's the attraction in shooting handgun calibers from a rifle? [Re: Texas Dan] #6794886 06/16/17 12:28 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Lots of ammo, low recoil, higher performance of the cartridge. But in my opinion it's for 100 yards and less.

Look up what a .44 mag can do coming out of a 16" barrel.

Plus, lever actions are fun!

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: What's the attraction in shooting handgun calibers from a rifle? [Re: Texas Dan] #6794889 06/16/17 12:31 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
What JG said.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: What's the attraction in shooting handgun calibers from a rifle? [Re: Texas Dan] #6794891 06/16/17 12:31 PM
Y
yotehater Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Y
Mostly carbines for saddle carry and short range work. In 44 magnum it makes a perfect rifle side arm combo with ammunition for both. One of my favorite thick cover rifles is the Win 94AE trapper with the Taurus Tracker on my hip.

One shot is all it should take.
Re: What's the attraction in shooting handgun calibers from a rifle? [Re: Texas Dan] #6794978 06/16/17 01:41 PM
B
blackcoal Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Use the rifle to fight off Injuns, the Colt is to hammer wire staples into the fence. You can use a rock, but people used to look funny when they walked into the saloon carrying a rock. Same caliber just made it simpler to keep up with ammo.

The Greatest Enemy of knowledge is not ignorance,
it is the illusion of knowledge.--Stephen Hawking
Re: What's the attraction in shooting handgun calibers from a rifle? [Re: Texas Dan] #6794984 06/16/17 01:46 PM
T
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Thanks for the replies.

Yes, having separate tools for close up and distance work makes a lot of sense for the guy living on the range, as does both taking the same bullets

Re: What's the attraction in shooting handgun calibers from a rifle? [Re: blackcoal] #6794987 06/16/17 01:49 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: blackcoal
Use the rifle to fight off Injuns, the Colt is to hammer wire staples into the fence. You can use a rock, but people used to look funny when they walked into the saloon carrying a rock. Same caliber just made it simpler to keep up with ammo.

Don't forget whacking a surley bartender.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: What's the attraction in shooting handgun calibers from a rifle? [Re: Texas Dan] #6794993 06/16/17 01:51 PM
R
rex47 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
R
ruger 44 carbine is a "hoot to shoot" comes in handy for that 2 and 3 pig. makes a good house gun, would work for camp gun

when the going gets really tough, I sit down and rest
Re: What's the attraction in shooting handgun calibers from a rifle? [Re: Texas Dan] #6794998 06/16/17 01:54 PM
HWY_MAN Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Texas Dan
I've noticed that Henry offers several rifle models that shoot traditional handgun caliber bullets.

So what's the attraction in shooting a rifle with such poor distance-shooting performance? For example, a .357 would need to be zeroed almost 8 inches high at 100 yards for a 150 yard zero. A typical rifle caliber would require only an inch or so of height at 100 yards for that same zero distance.

Your assuming these calibers will be used in traditional type hunting and distances. Get into the thick stuff with an open sight 44 or 45 after hogs or javalina's and you'll be glad you left the scoped bolt rifle in the truck.

Yes! A Weatherby does kill them deader.
Re: What's the attraction in shooting handgun calibers from a rifle? [Re: HWY_MAN] #6795004 06/16/17 01:58 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: HWY_MAN

Your assuming these calibers will be used in traditional type hunting and distances. Get into the thick stuff with an open sight 44 or 45 after hogs or javalina's and you'll be glad you left the scoped bolt rifle in the truck.

Yessir. I've got lots of creek bottoms around me with big timber. If I'm planning on going on walk about in that, there's nothing better than my lever action with irons. Though it's a 30-30, the point is the same. And a brass front post is mo betta than a blued steel front post.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: What's the attraction in shooting handgun calibers from a rifle? [Re: Texas Dan] #6795037 06/16/17 02:26 PM
T
Teal28 Online Happy
Extreme Tracker
Online Happy
Extreme Tracker
T
Got a buddy that loves western style wheel guns. Several years ago he started buying lever guns in the Same cal. As his revolvers so the ammo was shared between the two. He has several antique colts in Verying calibers and the lever guns to match.

Re: What's the attraction in shooting handgun calibers from a rifle? [Re: Texas Dan] #6795051 06/16/17 02:34 PM
V
Vern1 Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
V
I just enjoy shooting.
Pistol cal lets you shoot more for less.

Had a 22 cal AR and while it felt like an AR weight wise, it felt like a bb gun when you shot it.

I have a 16" 9MM AR fun gun now and really like it.
I carry it on my 4wheeler most of the time putting around the ranch.
With it sighted for 50 yards, I can still reliably ring steel gongs at 100 yards.
It feels more like a standard AR when you shoot is as it has more recoil than the .22.
It's pretty accurate at 50 yards shooting less than 2" groups reliably.
It takes Glock mags so they are readily available and it has only malfunctioned 1 time in 600 rounds.
With standard load 147gr FMJs it is subsonic out of the 16" barrel so it's really quiet.

It's a favorite at range day because the kids and ladies can shoot it and since it's AR based, everything is located in the same place and functions the same so it breeds familiarity when they transfer to a regular AR.

Last edited by Vern1; 06/16/17 03:18 PM.

Cheers,
Vern1
Texans since The Old 300 in 1824
NRA Lifetime Member
Re: What's the attraction in shooting handgun calibers from a rifle? [Re: Texas Dan] #6795083 06/16/17 03:07 PM
O
OkieDokie Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
O
I have a beretta cx4 storm in 9mm. It is a short carbine semi auto. I got it in a trade and I like you didn't understand what it could be good for. Now I won't ever get rid of it and like most say it is just fun to shoot. It is also a favorite of the Grand Kids. It has now become one of my home protection guns. It now has a tlr-1 lite with a red dot scope on it. It is short and easy to maneuver in the house and it is something the wife is comfortable in using.
But most of all it is fun.
Have someone let you shoot theirs and you will understand.

Maybe Today.
raptureready.com
Re: What's the attraction in shooting handgun calibers from a rifle? [Re: Texas Dan] #6795090 06/16/17 03:14 PM
B
BearkatHunter2011 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Cuz its America!? End of times? Bug out?

Re: What's the attraction in shooting handgun calibers from a rifle? [Re: blackcoal] #6795116 06/16/17 03:42 PM
T
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T

Yes, once all the wars with the natives and outlaws were over, gun manufacturers turned their attention to new calibers and cartridges designed solely for distance work. Gun owners today, including many of you, have rediscovered the practicality of having a rifle and hand shooter that fire the same bullets.

Firearm history really is fascinating when you think about it.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 06/16/17 03:49 PM.

Re: What's the attraction in shooting handgun calibers from a rifle? [Re: Texas Dan] #6795127 06/16/17 03:53 PM
T
Texan Til I Die Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
T
I've killed several deer with my Marlin 1894. It's also the only rifle that I keep loaded for home defense. 11 rounds of 44 mag would totally ruin a bad guy's day.

Silver spurs and gold tequila
keep me hanging on.
Pretty girls and old cantinas
give me shelter from the storm.
Re: What's the attraction in shooting handgun calibers from a rifle? [Re: J.G.] #6795128 06/16/17 03:53 PM
HWY_MAN Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: FiremanJG

Yessir. I've got lots of creek bottoms around me with big timber. If I'm planning on going on walk about in that, there's nothing better than my lever action with irons. Though it's a 30-30, the point is the same. And a brass front post is mo betta than a blued steel front post.

Mine holds 13 rounds of 45 LC's. With Corbon, Buffalo Bore or good hand-loads it's serious medicine.

Re: What's the attraction in shooting handgun calibers from a rifle? [Re: Texas Dan] #6795136 06/16/17 03:57 PM
T
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Winchester claims to have created the first hybrid cartridge that eventually led to the creation of modern cartridges designed specifically for rifle use.

Do you agree?

"Winchester® Supreme® Centerfire Rifle Ammunition stands as the most technologically advanced line of centerfire rifle ammunition in history - a history 127 years in the making. In 1873, less than a decade after the Civil War and when Westward expansion was in full gallop, Winchester introduced the first successful centerfire cartridge: the .44 WCF (.44-40). Designed for double duty in both rifles and handguns, this is the cartridge that won the west. And to hunters and sportsmen wanting the ultimate ammunition for any big-game need, Winchester has been delivering ever since."

Re: What's the attraction in shooting handgun calibers from a rifle? [Re: Texas Dan] #6795145 06/16/17 03:59 PM
HWY_MAN Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Quote:
Gun owners today, including many of you, have rediscovered the practicality of having a rifle and hand shooter that fire the same bullets.

To be honest I see no practicality in it all. If I'm hunting with a rifle and carry a pistol it's going to be a pretty safe bet I'm carrying a 22 if I'm carrying one at all.

Re: What's the attraction in shooting handgun calibers from a rifle? [Re: Texas Dan] #6795150 06/16/17 04:02 PM
HWY_MAN Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Winchester claims to have created the first hybrid cartridge that eventually led to the creation of modern cartridges designed specifically for rifle use.

Do you agree?

"Winchester® Supreme® Centerfire Rifle Ammunition stands as the most technologically advanced line of centerfire rifle ammunition in history - a history 127 years in the making. In 1873, less than a decade after the Civil War and when Westward expansion was in full gallop, Winchester introduced the first successful centerfire cartridge: the .44 WCF (.44-40). Designed for double duty in both rifles and handguns, this is the cartridge that won the west. And to hunters and sportsmen wanting the ultimate ammunition for any big-game need, Winchester has been delivering ever since."

To be exact the first metallic cartridge was in 1845.

Re: What's the attraction in shooting handgun calibers from a rifle? [Re: Texas Dan] #6795151 06/16/17 04:02 PM
C
colt45-90 Offline
Texas colt45
Texas colt45
C
well, when you are surrounded by Indians you don't have to figure out what cartridge to load

hold on Newt, we got a runaway
Re: What's the attraction in shooting handgun calibers from a rifle? [Re: HWY_MAN] #6795174 06/16/17 04:20 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N

Do you agree?

To be exact the first metallic cartridge was in 1845.

Lefauchaeaux (who developed the pinfire cartridge/mechanism) in 1828 would dispute that. Though popular in France, it was never widely adopted in English speaking countries. Most credit Winchester's .44-40 developed for the Model 1873 as the first centerfire (as opposed to rimfire - as in the .44 rimfire Henry) cartridge.

I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: What's the attraction in shooting handgun calibers from a rifle? [Re: HWY_MAN] #6795201 06/16/17 04:40 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: FiremanJG

Mine holds 13 rounds of 45 LC's. With Corbon, Buffalo Bore or good hand-loads it's serious medicine.

There's where the pistol cartridge shines, in the carbine. Can't get that many 30-30 in the tube. I had my fire chief make me a leather stock pack to hold 7 spares. He said, JG I need a leather project. Have I got a deal for you, Chief! Tell me what I owe you when you're done.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: What's the attraction in shooting handgun calibers from a rifle? [Re: Texas Dan] #6795202 06/16/17 04:42 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity

Yes, once all the wars with the natives and outlaws were over, gun manufacturers turned their attention to new calibers and cartridges designed solely for distance work. Gun owners today, including many of you, have rediscovered the practicality of having a rifle and hand shooter that fire the same bullets.

Firearm history really is fascinating when you think about it.

Chris Kyle's book on the matter "American Gun" was quite good.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: What's the attraction in shooting handgun calibers from a rifle? [Re: Texas Dan] #6795203 06/16/17 04:43 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
The development of the centerfire cartridge played only a small role in the defeat of the indians - as they were largely extirpated by the time it came along. (Though Colt SAAs in .45 Colt were used in such later battles as Little Bighorn in 1876.)

Production of the Colt "Frontier Six Shooter" (which was designed to shoot the .44-40 centerfire compatible with the Winchester 1873 rifle) began in 1877. It was immediately successful on the frontier - but mainly because the Cowboys and other frontier denizens found having to carry/load only one type of ammunition handy for more utilitarian range work such as providing food,dispatching varmints, self defense, and the like.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide