Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Help with Labradar #6752719 05/02/17 10:39 PM
RedSnake Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
Picked up a labradar and used it the first time yest. Had trouble getting it to sense/record about 50% of time. I read the directions several times bang

Any suggestions? For a suppressed rifle shooting full power loads is it better to have it set to sense for Trigger or Doppler? Positioning?

Re: Help with Labradar [Re: RedSnake] #6752738 05/02/17 11:00 PM
D
Dave3575 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
look at page 7 of the manual, pretty sure it says to sell it and buy a magnetospeed.

Re: Help with Labradar [Re: RedSnake] #6752758 05/02/17 11:31 PM
RedSnake Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
I had a magnetospeed but sold it to get this

Re: Help with Labradar [Re: RedSnake] #6752760 05/02/17 11:33 PM
D
Dave3575 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
what did you not like about the Magneto?

Re: Help with Labradar [Re: RedSnake] #6752776 05/02/17 11:50 PM
C
ChadTRG42 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
I have mine on the trigger setting. The Lab Radar has either 5, or 7 or 8 "trigger levels" (depending on which model you have) . Mine has levels 1-5, my buddies has levels 1 through either 7 or 8. Level 1 is the most sensitive which I use for subsonic ammo shooting suppressed. Level 5 I use for unsuppressed full power loads. For suppressed full power loads I would set it on level 2 or 3. I also put the radar right next to the muzzle/suppressor pointed in line to the target.

A couple reasons why you don't get a reading:

-it's not lined up properly with the bullet path
-there is an object or something causing interference of the signal (we had a dirt pile about 50 yards out in front of the berm, and it would not pick up every shot. Same thing with tree limbs.)
-if you are using an external battery pack, you MUST be using a 1 amp output power supply
-make sure "bullet velocity" is set to "rifle" for full power loads. I have left it on the "handgun" setting for testing subs, and switch to shooting a rifle, and it not give me proper readings.

It is a very good chronograph. It changed how I shoot. If you have any specific questions, buzz me and I'll try to help.

[Linked Image]
Custom and Precision Ammunition!!
https://DallasReloads.com/
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: Help with Labradar [Re: RedSnake] #6752777 05/02/17 11:52 PM
C
ChadTRG42 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
Here's a typical range session set up. I normally have the chrono much closer and next to the muzzle when shooting.

[Linked Image]
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: Help with Labradar [Re: ChadTRG42] #6752781 05/02/17 11:57 PM
I
ImTheReasonDovesMourn Offline
Snarky Mark
Snarky Mark
I
Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42
Here's a typical range session set up. I normally have the chrono much closer and next to the muzzle when shooting.

You're so rich boo.

Originally Posted by KRoyal
Haha yea I polished that thing for hours.
Re: Help with Labradar [Re: Dave3575] #6752784 05/02/17 11:59 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Dave3575

It's attached to the barrel, therefore it sucks.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Help with Labradar [Re: ImTheReasonDovesMourn] #6752789 05/03/17 12:02 AM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: ImTheReasonDovesMourn

You're so rich boo.

And I'm poor. Because I'm the guy the makes the payment, and takes care of that place. hanged

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: Help with Labradar [Re: RedSnake] #6752793 05/03/17 12:08 AM
C
ChadTRG42 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
The Magneto Speed is a great chronograph. For simple confirmation of your speed, it works very well. But it's not a device I will want to strap onto my barrel for load development. I have spoken the the guys at Magneto about POI shifts, and such. They claim the devise is light enough to not cause a POI shift due to the weight, but more of the pressure curve bouncing and reflecting off the bayonet. The lighter the bullet, the more POI shift there is. The 6mm bullets and smaller were about where they saw the most POI shift happening. The heavier 308 calibers had none to near minimal shift. The newer models are lighter, smaller, and with a smaller bayonet. This will help reduce POI shift.

But with a Lab Radar, you simply set it up next to you and shoot. It doesn't get any easier than that. But, the negative of the Radar is if you plan to use it at a crowded gun range. It will be sensing all the other shooters, and cause errors for you.

[Linked Image]
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: Help with Labradar [Re: J.G.] #6752794 05/03/17 12:09 AM
I
ImTheReasonDovesMourn Offline
Snarky Mark
Snarky Mark
I
Originally Posted By: FiremanJG

You're so rich boo.

And I'm poor. Because I'm the guy the makes the payment, and takes care of that place. hanged

You can easily outrun Chad. Just snatch his wallet when he's laying prone.

Originally Posted by KRoyal
Haha yea I polished that thing for hours.
Re: Help with Labradar [Re: RedSnake] #6752796 05/03/17 12:12 AM
C
Cleric Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
C
I set mine to always be sensing. Placement matters a lot. I put mine about half way down the barrel a few inches to the right. I use the notch on the top to try and align it with my target.

I had a session where I was getting less then 50% reading right, I adjusted the placement and it started picking them all up

Re: Help with Labradar [Re: ChadTRG42] #6752803 05/03/17 12:23 AM
D
Dave3575 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
The Magneto Speed is a great chronograph. For simple confirmation of your speed, it works very well. But it's not a device I will want to strap onto my barrel for load development. I have spoken the the guys at Magneto about POI shifts, and such. They claim the devise is light enough to not cause a POI shift due to the weight, but more of the pressure curve bouncing and reflecting off the bayonet. The lighter the bullet, the more POI shift there is. The 6mm bullets and smaller were about where they saw the most POI shift happening. The heavier 308 calibers had none to near minimal shift. The newer models are lighter, smaller, and with a smaller bayonet. This will help reduce POI shift.

But with a Lab Radar, you simply set it up next to you and shoot. It doesn't get any easier than that. But, the negative of the Radar is if you plan to use it at a crowded gun range. It will be sensing all the other shooters, and cause errors for you.

I get this - it's all a matter of perspective. For what you do in the custom ammo world I agree 100% - I only check speeds once I have a load developed or want to spot check and the magneto is the best for that from a ease of use, quick deploy, etc...

Re: Help with Labradar [Re: RedSnake] #6752809 05/03/17 12:29 AM
C
ChadTRG42 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
What's up Dave! When we were at the Outback match this weekend, Jay needed to get his bullet velocities. He asked me to get my Radar, and I went back to the truck and had mine set up before he had his Magneto strapped to the barrel. Once when the Radar is out of the box, I line it up and turn it on. Jay was surprised I set it up that fast. It's pretty quick.

[Linked Image]
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: Help with Labradar [Re: ImTheReasonDovesMourn] #6752818 05/03/17 12:37 AM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity

You're so rich boo.

You can easily outrun Chad. Just snatch his wallet when he's laying prone.

I like your plan. I'll add, take the bolt out of his rifle before those steps, though.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: Help with Labradar [Re: J.G.] #6752828 05/03/17 12:47 AM
RedSnake Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted By: Dave3575

It's attached to the barrel, therefore it sucks.

^^ This. I was getting 1-2" POI shift with the MS.

Thanks for the suggestions fellas.

Re: Help with Labradar [Re: ChadTRG42] #6752841 05/03/17 12:56 AM
D
Dave3575 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
What's up Dave! When we were at the Outback match this weekend, Jay needed to get his bullet velocities. He asked me to get my Radar, and I went back to the truck and had mine set up before he had his Magneto strapped to the barrel. Once when the Radar is out of the box, I line it up and turn it on. Jay was surprised I set it up that fast. It's pretty quick.

maybe he just sucks at strapping things on roflmao roflmao roflmao

Re: Help with Labradar [Re: RedSnake] #6752842 05/03/17 12:59 AM
J
Judd Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
I love mine but I only use it for load development and wouldn't even consider a magneto speed for that reason. I had an Ohler before hand and it was a PIA to setup. I will say that using it with a suppressor can be frustrating. What I've come to realize is I need the sensitivity all the way up, the trigger needs to be on Doppler and I need the unit to set even with the end of the suppressor. Most everything else I have has muzzle brakes and they work flawlessly without having to trigger on Doppler and have the unit sitting level with the muzzle...a lot more forgiving.

Originally Posted by Phil Robertson
Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: Help with Labradar [Re: RedSnake] #6752847 05/03/17 01:06 AM
RedSnake Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
I found I got more readings with Doppler and with it right at the end of my suppressor 12" to the side. There were some dirt clods and tall weeds down range that could only be stomped down so much -- so maybe that was the issue.

Re: Help with Labradar [Re: RedSnake] #6753058 05/03/17 06:04 AM
R
Ranch Dog Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
Love my Labradar for rifle but no longer use it with a handgun. To-date it has not recorded a single shot fired from a pistol or revolver. Went through all the options with the setup, battery vs. power pack, different jacks on the power pack. Communicated with Labradar but they take the tack that their unit is perfect and all problems are caused by the user. Too frustrating and not getting my work done. Went back to my Caldwell unit for all short barrel stuff.

[Linked Image]
Re: Help with Labradar [Re: Ranch Dog] #6753180 05/03/17 01:21 PM
C
ChadTRG42 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted By: Ranch Dog
Love my Labradar for rifle but no longer use it with a handgun. To-date it has not recorded a single shot fired from a pistol or revolver. Went through all the options with the setup, battery vs. power pack, different jacks on the power pack. Communicated with Labradar but they take the tack that their unit is perfect and all problems are caused by the user. Too frustrating and not getting my work done. Went back to my Caldwell unit for all short barrel stuff.

My shooting buddy had the same issue. He was using the wrong type of portable battery pack. It MUST be 1 amp output. Any more or less, and it messes with the electronics and won't give a reading. Once he went to the right portable battery, his works perfect. You also have to have the Radar close to the muzzle for it to work. And for handgun, select the "handgun" mode. Once you change the setting to what you are shooting, you should have no problem getting it to pick up anything that goes bang. I have no issue picking up a very quiet subsonic round with a suppressor.

[Linked Image]
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: Help with Labradar [Re: RedSnake] #6753245 05/03/17 02:30 PM
B
BigDad Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
Agree, Labradar is a game changer. It makes using a chronograph a pleasure not a chore. Easy to setup and does not affect the POI. I understand the Magneto is accurate and you don't have to go down range to setup but for the life of me I don't understand why someone would want to shoot with something on their barrel that could impact POI and group size. To each his own. Labarader can be a little finicky at times but once you get the hang of setting it up its pretty easy. I use mine every range session now where previously I dreaded using my Shooting Chrony due to setup time and inconvenience to other shooters on the range having to wait for me to setup not to mention that I have hit the sky screen support rods a couple of times.

Joe
Re: Help with Labradar [Re: RedSnake] #6753314 05/03/17 03:50 PM
D
Dien Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
I have the Labradar and Magnetospeed. Prefer the Magnetospeed at public ranges as other shots always set my labradar off.

Magnetospeed more dependable as it registers a shot 99% of the time. Once in a while with no one else shooting the labradar won't register for some reason.

But with the magnetospeed I can't use my suppressor wrap so that's annoying with mirage.

Nice to have both but if I could only have one it would be the Magnetospeed as it is more reliable for my use. At one public range guys shooting 200 yards away will set off my labradar!

Re: Help with Labradar [Re: ChadTRG42] #6753382 05/03/17 05:09 PM
D
dee Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D

My 6mm creed got zero poi shift with my magneto. On my 7mm it depends on how I clock the brake if I get a shift.

I've done load development on it as well. I have found no amount of difference in groups with or without the ms strapped on the gun and this is with everything from heavy barrels to light profile barrels.

Last edited by dee; 05/03/17 05:10 PM.

"A vote is like a rifle; it's usefulness depends on the character of the user" Theodore Roosevelt
Re: Help with Labradar [Re: ChadTRG42] #6753724 05/03/17 10:54 PM
R
Ranch Dog Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
Originally Posted By: Ranch Dog

My shooting buddy had the same issue. He was using the wrong type of portable battery pack. It MUST be 1 amp output. Any more or less, and it messes with the electronics and won't give a reading. Once he went to the right portable battery, his works perfect. You also have to have the Radar close to the muzzle for it to work. And for handgun, select the "handgun" mode. Once you change the setting to what you are shooting, you should have no problem getting it to pick up anything that goes bang. I have no issue picking up a very quiet subsonic round with a suppressor.

I've done all this, and I'm using the battery pack that Labradar sold me. The unit has two ports, two different amp outputs, and neither produces results. On my unit when shooting rifles, only the most sensitive trigger setting will work and the barrel must be within six inches of the unit. That's with big guns like the 444 Marlin and 45-70 Govt. Now that I'm thinking about it, I could not get my unit to record any shots from my 218 Bee. Ended up using the Caldwell which I now leave in the footlocker on my range.

I contacted Labradar about the issues I was having, and they suggested it is on the user's end, that there is nothing wrong with their product. I disagree, I've followed the manual to the letter and tried every setting possible. Like I said, I love it with the rifles, but if it were to fail, I would not buy another. At $550 it should work, and mine is not as advertised.

[Linked Image]
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide