Forums46
Topics537,775
Posts9,729,022
Members87,042
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: How Do You Make Your Pinto Beans? [Re: Dave Davidson] #1040919 11/17/09 12:40 AM
W
wheelsonfire Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
W
Hello.

I'm new here, but I couldn't resist a good pinto bean thread. I am Not a dude. If I post again it will likely be in the cooking forum. My boyfriend is a lurker and a deer hunter (he shot an 8 point on opening weekend and just bought a new Weatherby).

Anyway, I was looking around for good deer recipes and here I am.

dog-that recipe is similar to mine and my Grandmother taught me not to salt beans until the last 30 minutes because it will make them tough. However, a good slab of cubed salt pork in the slow cooker with your soaked beans does work well because the fat of the pork is enough lube to cancel out the salt in the pork.

dave-I feel 'ya on the beer. I've tried that a few times and I've found that using room temperature flat beer (just a 12oz can or bottle) for 1/4 of the liquid minimizes the damage. Soaking the beans TWICE (overnight in one batch and then changing the liquid and soaking for a couple more hours in fresh liquid) also cuts down on the farts.

SO, here is my method:

1. Soak 1lb dry pinto beans overnight in a large bowl at room temp with 3/4 volume water and 1/4 volume flat, room temp beer (or just 100% water). Be sure to have enough liquid to cover the beans by at least an inch. In the morning, throw the beans in a large strainer and set them under the tap. Rinse the hell out of them and look for rocks or "duds" and discard them. They are easier to spot this way after the good beans have swelled from soaking.

2. In a fresh bowl, return the beans to fresh soaking liquid and let soak another couple of hours. All of this soaking may seem excessive, but it cuts down on gas and ensures you get rid of grit. Pre-soak rinsing the beans helps as well. Drain the beans and pour them into your slow-cooker. Add enough water to cover the beans by about an inch and a half. I've used home made chicken, beef, or vegetable broth for cooking liquid for extra flavor, but it isn't required.

3. Chop 1-2 large onion(s), crush and mince 4 cloves garlic, finely chop 2 jalapenos and 1 habanero (depending on your tolerance, seed the peppers or add more), some shakes of chili powder(home made is best....PM me for recipe) and cayenne, a tbs Mexican oregano, plenty of fresh ground pepper, 1 can of Rotel, and a few slices of chopped salt pork. If you don't use the salt pork, add at least 1/4 cup of olive oil. If you have leftover uncooked ham or some pork butt, it is a nice substitute.

4. Set your slow cooker on low and walk away. Check it every 4 hours and add water as needed, but keep the liquid level at about 1/4 inch above the beans.

5. At the 8 hour mark, add Cajun seasonings (http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeri...ipe3/index.html)

6. Let the beans continue to cook for at least 30 min. Taste test the broth. If you are happy, you have some great pintos. Eat them. If you have leftovers, they freeze well and also make GREAT refried beans in your iron skillet. If they are lacking something, season them. Add cilantro, salt, etc.

The most important steps are the soaking, rinsing, and slow cooking. If you follow that, the seasonings are all yours.

Re: How Do You Make Your Pinto Beans? [Re: wheelsonfire] #1044966 11/18/09 11:47 AM
N
NewGulf Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
N
i'd say you know your beans wheelsonfire~

Re: How Do You Make Your Pinto Beans? [Re: NewGulf] #1046117 11/18/09 08:08 PM
7mag Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Boracho Beans cheers Soak your beans overnight. When your ready to cook em use beer/water 50/50 mix. Slow cook em and throw a few garlic cloves, whole, bacon and Jalapenos, whole also. When almost done about 30 minutes prior to serving add sliced onions(do it the end so they dont become mush) Take the garlic out when done. I like to eat the Japs alongside the beans. Serve with your favorite main dish and corn tortillas or cornbread mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm make you wanna slap your momma

[Linked Image]
"Laugh with many, but don't trust any"
Re: How Do You Make Your Pinto Beans? [Re: topwater_elvis] #5048506 04/01/14 01:21 PM
N
NewGulf Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
N
What i was looking for! up

Originally Posted By: topwater_elvis
Beans Boracho

Brown some chopped bacon to get a little grease going in the pot.

Wash beans, etc., then put in the big pot and cover with about 2" water

Bring to high boil

Put lid on and let em set a couple of hours. Dont uncover. Turn burner off.

At this point add some sea salt and a little fresh gound pepper and 2-3 bottles of dark beer (Shiner), a couple cloves of garlic.

Turn burner back on, I like to then just let them cook all day at slow boil. Keep checking and adding water.

Then cube up some salt pork and fry in in SEPERATE pan (save the grease. Set aside.

Roast some (5-6) jalapenos in your over broiler until black, deseed (i never peel) and dice.

Make some REAL fresh pico de gallo

When the beans are really good and done and "soupy", add the fried bits of salt pork and the pico, and another bottle of beer. Bring it back to a quick fast boil, and you are ready to eat.

Sometimes I also drip in a few drops of liquid smoke right at the end too. Season with more salt and more black (or I like white) pepper after they are fully done.

They are better the next day.

Re: How Do You Make Your Pinto Beans? [Re: NewGulf] #5048658 04/01/14 02:42 PM
W
wacorusty Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
I recently fell in love with my new pressure cooker. I can get it done quick and you can't tell a difference.

"The arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and assistance to foreign hands should be curtailed, lest Rome fall." Cicero
Re: How Do You Make Your Pinto Beans? [Re: NewGulf] #5048824 04/01/14 04:05 PM
K
Kimo Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
K
Now THIS I'm gonna try!

Re: How Do You Make Your Pinto Beans? [Re: NewGulf] #5049754 04/02/14 01:43 AM
R
RobertY Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
Here's my thread/recipe (it was like 5 threads down on this page):

http://www.texashuntingforum.com/forum/u...ans#Post1120539

chef

Re: How Do You Make Your Pinto Beans? [Re: NewGulf] #5050124 04/02/14 10:04 AM
N
NewGulf Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
N
Got all my ingredients together and gonna get my beans going about noon the kids wanted me to start them yesterday but I put it off. I make 6 pounds of beans every time and they usually only last maybe 2 days due to everyone wanting some even the old men at the coffee shop lol

Re: How Do You Make Your Pinto Beans? [Re: NewGulf] #5050354 04/02/14 01:50 PM
T
The Tomcat 210 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
I use a basic pinto bean recipe except I make it with the outside "crispy" parts of leftover brisket instead of ham or bacon. You know the dark stuff everybody cuts off. It adds a smokey flavor. My wife likes my brisket but she LOVES my beans the next day!

Re: How Do You Make Your Pinto Beans? [Re: dogcatcher] #5050391 04/02/14 02:13 PM
N
NewGulf Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: dogcatcher
There used to be a group of us Vietnam vets that did some of the area cook offs, Here is the bean recipe that I think won 2ND place, might have been 3RD but who remembers stuff like that after 20 plus years.

Pinto beans

4 cups pinto beans, cleaned and washed, soak overnght

1 package bacon, sliced into squares.

Start cooking beans with the bacon, bring to a boil, cover and keep at a low boil.

1 1/2 hours later prepare seasoning.

1 T Chili powder
1 medium onion finely chopped, or 1 T of onion powder
1 jalapeno, seeded and finely chopped
1/2 t cumin
1/2 t garlic powder
2 t salt
1/2 t black pepper
1/8 t cayenne pepper

Combine the seasonings and add to the beans, finish cooking until tender.
up

Re: How Do You Make Your Pinto Beans? [Re: The Tomcat 210] #5050394 04/02/14 02:14 PM
N
NewGulf Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: The Tomcat 210
I use a basic pinto bean recipe except I make it with the outside "crispy" parts of leftover brisket instead of ham or bacon. You know the dark stuff everybody cuts off. It adds a smokey flavor. My wife likes my brisket but she LOVES my beans the next day!

i also do that when i have a few briskets on the pit! hard to beat food

Re: How Do You Make Your Pinto Beans? [Re: NewGulf] #6061078 12/01/15 10:25 PM
N
NewGulf Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
N
Bump

Re: How Do You Make Your Pinto Beans? [Re: NewGulf] #6061097 12/01/15 10:37 PM
R
ronlhodges Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
Pour a 2-lb bag into a pot of water , bring to a boil then take them off the burner and let them soak over night . Next morning I put them in a crock pot with a small ham bone or a chunk of salt pork ( you can buy in the bacon section ) and turn on high for about 2-3 hours then turn to med. until supper time then serve over a bowl of cornbread . The only thing I add to the crockpot is alittle chili powder and for good flavor chop up a jalapeno without the seeds and add to the crockpot about an hour before your ready to eat . Guaranteed to be good !

Re: How Do You Make Your Pinto Beans? [Re: dogcatcher] #6067161 12/04/15 11:06 PM
R
retfuz Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted By: dogcatcher
There used to be a group of us Vietnam vets that did some of the area cook offs, Here is the bean recipe that I think won 2ND place, might have been 3RD but who remembers stuff like that after 20 plus years.

Pinto beans

4 cups pinto beans, cleaned and washed, soak overnght

1 package bacon, sliced into squares.

Start cooking beans with the bacon, bring to a boil, cover and keep at a low boil.

1 1/2 hours later prepare seasoning.

1 T Chili powder
1 medium onion finely chopped, or 1 T of onion powder
1 jalapeno, seeded and finely chopped
1/2 t cumin
1/2 t garlic powder
2 t salt
1/2 t black pepper
1/8 t cayenne pepper

Combine the seasonings and add to the beans, finish cooking until tender.

I'vr been using this recipe since you posted it on here the first time, and it's as good as beans get! Thnks again!

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide