Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Outfitter Scam - Rockin N Hunting / Michael Needham #910415 09/17/09 03:24 AM
L
LeaseHunter Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
L
Just wanted to let the hunting public know that we have recieved word of a fellow named Michael Needham of Rockin N Hunting in Junction is a scam artist. He has listed hunting opportunities on various websites and has scamed deposit money from hunters. I am told that he is in the Kimble County jail. If anyone has been had by this guy, get in touch with them.

Good luck and pass this along.

Re: Outfitter Scam - Rockin N Hunting / Michael Needham [Re: LeaseHunter] #910485 09/17/09 03:53 AM
T
TreeBass Offline
Old Weller
Old Weller
T
so basically your hearing gossip? What proof do you have? I'll give this a day and its out of here.

[Linked Image]

My success in life is measured by the number of hunting
and fishing stories that my kids can share with others...

Like the THF on Facebook - www.facebook.com/texashuntingforum
Grizzly Coolers
Re: Outfitter Scam - Rockin N Hunting / Michael Needham [Re: TreeBass] #910534 09/17/09 04:18 AM
L
LeaseHunter Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
L
It is not "gossip", I have received three separate emails from our members confirming they have been scammed or mislead. I just wanted to pass it along that people should beware. I hope that you can appreciate the attempt to give everyone a heads up. If someone has had a good experience and can validate this guy, then great. Is that OK?

Re: Outfitter Scam - Rockin N Hunting / Michael Needham [Re: LeaseHunter] #911077 09/17/09 03:00 PM
T
TreeBass Offline
Old Weller
Old Weller
T
Originally Posted By: LeaseHunter
It is not "gossip", I have received three separate emails from our members confirming they have been scammed or mislead. I just wanted to pass it along that people should beware. I hope that you can appreciate the attempt to give everyone a heads up. If someone has had a good experience and can validate this guy, then great. Is that OK?

We do without a doubt try to ensure that our members are protected to a point. But we have to be sure that its not just a bunch of folks trying to ruin a man's business or threaten his way of life because of a falling out, or someone holding a grudge.

Its easy enough to damage someones reputation or business on the internet, enough that lawyers are brought in to settle the issues.

[Linked Image]

My success in life is measured by the number of hunting
and fishing stories that my kids can share with others...

Like the THF on Facebook - www.facebook.com/texashuntingforum
Grizzly Coolers
Re: Outfitter Scam - Rockin N Hunting / Michael Needham [Re: TreeBass] #914100 09/18/09 07:44 PM
B
binoguy Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
B
both good points. but if his name is confirmed by the jail for what he's been doing, it's hard to imagine it's a mix up

brian aaronson

Re: Outfitter Scam - Rockin N Hunting / Michael Needham [Re: binoguy] #914708 09/19/09 02:53 AM
K
kenmorrow Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
K
this sort of thing should NOT be posted on the internet unless confirmed by legal authorities! leasehunter, you should know better than this. i understand your motive and sympathize: i'm all for consumer protection. but you've gotta get more than 3 rumors that match up before you post something that could ruin another business if untrue. that's just recklessly irresponsible, ie. unprofessional.

let's get this out of here until someone gets confirmation from a prosecutor or law enforcement, please.

Re: Outfitter Scam - Rockin N Hunting / Michael Needham [Re: kenmorrow] #914863 09/19/09 04:57 AM
mulie_mike Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
http://www.junctioneagle.com/2009/09-09-09%20pages%209-16.pdf

Look under the Sherifs Report
A Michael Needham was arrested but not for the charges stated above. You are probably right that he is in jail but not for stealing peoples deposits.

I did try going to his website through several links and none of them worked though.

I offer primarily free range hunts and also preserve hunts on 1 million acres across west and southwest Texas for native and exotic game.

www.westtexashunt.com

Please Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/WestTexasHuntOrganization/
Re: Outfitter Scam - Rockin N Hunting / Michael Needham [Re: mulie_mike] #914985 09/19/09 12:09 PM
T
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Those warrants he was arrested on could have been for the money that was stolen.

Re: Outfitter Scam - Rockin N Hunting / Michael Needham [Re: Txduckman] #914993 09/19/09 12:34 PM
K
kenmorrow Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
K
"Could have been" is not "were."

"Innocent until proven guilty" makes those who post such things on the internet or reports them in the press without due diligence verification liable for any damages sustained if they prove untrue under defamation laws (slander and libel...in the case of written information, it is libel). So his business losses become leasehunter's and THF's business losses if he was not arrested for stealing hunters' money and sues for defamation due to negligence.

However, the dude WAS arrested for felon in possession of a firearm. We see that in the sheriff's report dated 9/4. That means he has a prior conviction for a serious crime and is prohibited from owning and even possessing firearms. Kind of makes anything but archery hunting difficult, don't you think? And I'd personally be disinclined to send a deposit for future services to any convicted felon. But that's just me.

Last edited by kenmorrow; 09/19/09 12:38 PM.
Re: Outfitter Scam - Rockin N Hunting / Michael Needham [Re: kenmorrow] #915008 09/19/09 01:04 PM
S
Sabrinavonbach Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
The inability to report publically problems with outfitter or leasors is a problem. In the interest of fairness they should also be allowed to state problems with their hunter/clients. A hunting newsletter called Hunting Reports has a column on what they call the good the bad and the ugly and reports all sides of the issue. In addition they keep a sizeable number of written hunting reports. We need something like that locally or statewise. I say let everyone see the dirty laundry.

Re: Outfitter Scam - Rockin N Hunting / Michael Needham [Re: Sabrinavonbach] #915484 09/19/09 09:11 PM
T
Thirty Pointer Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
T
I mailed Michael Needham a deposit also and was trying to book 2 other parties a later. I never could reach him or get call back. That is when I started getting a bad feeling. Then my fears were confirmed when I read this forum. On Friday Sept. 18th I called the Kimble sheriff department and he is in jail, and the warrants are for several hot checks in Tyler,Tx. I also got in contact with his wife and they are in the middle of a divorce,and she claims she was conned also. He stole all her retirement money and lied about of things. I also talked to Mr.Whitaker an investigator for the sherrifs dept. Michael had $13,oooo on him when arrested. I believe this guy is a liar and scam artist. I don't believe this guy had any intent on coming thru with the hunts. The investigator also told me he had written hot checks to some of the ranches we were supposed to hunt there in junctiion. I'm sending a report to the the investigator like he asked me to. Please do the same if you lost money with this guy. The investigators email is jeffwhitaker@yahoo.com

Re: Outfitter Scam - Rockin N Hunting / Michael Needham [Re: Thirty Pointer] #915490 09/19/09 09:21 PM
A
aussie1 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
A
Sorry you lost your money. Theives are the lowest form of life. Hope you can get some sort of restitution from him.

Re: Outfitter Scam - Rockin N Hunting / Michael Needham [Re: aussie1] #915501 09/19/09 09:28 PM
D
dolphingirl Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
D
Wow i am glad that I seen this today because come Monday I was going to send in a deposit for a hunt with this guy! Ya know a friend told me that it sounds way to good to be true and I am glad that I did send my money yet! He sent me an email with his bank info and everything and I sent him one back asking for a few more specific questions and still haven't gotten an answer from him and now I see why! Thank you guys so much for this info! What a sorry person!

Kelly

Re: Outfitter Scam - Rockin N Hunting / Michael Needham [Re: dolphingirl] #915878 09/20/09 04:24 AM
T
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Did y'all look at these properties first?

Unfortunately some will stay up until forced down when you look for leases. I figured this is what was going on when I read the charges and googled his outfitting company. Too good to be true as well if land was selling/leasing for that much/little.

And if you want to get into semantics with names, anyone can be a serial killer in a King book. Give me a break...

Re: Outfitter Scam - Rockin N Hunting / Michael Needham [Re: Thirty Pointer] #916034 09/20/09 12:55 PM
K
kenmorrow Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
K
Originally Posted By: Thirty Pointer
I mailed Michael Needham a deposit also and was trying to book 2 other parties a later. I never could reach him or get call back. That is when I started getting a bad feeling. Then my fears were confirmed when I read this forum. On Friday Sept. 18th I called the Kimble sheriff department and he is in jail, and the warrants are for several hot checks in Tyler,Tx. I also got in contact with his wife and they are in the middle of a divorce,and she claims she was conned also. He stole all her retirement money and lied about of things. I also talked to Mr.Whitaker an investigator for the sherrifs dept. Michael had $13,oooo on him when arrested. I believe this guy is a liar and scam artist. I don't believe this guy had any intent on coming thru with the hunts. The investigator also told me he had written hot checks to some of the ranches we were supposed to hunt there in junctiion. I'm sending a report to the the investigator like he asked me to. Please do the same if you lost money with this guy. The investigators email is jeffwhitaker@yahoo.com

This is a perfect example of a post that won't get anyone in trouble under any circumstances. He states only facts based on his own experience and/or confirmed by officials. Other information he states with a caveat "It is my opinion..." You can't be "punished" for your opinion, but you must state it as an opinion, not a fact.

Sabrinovich, I hope this addresses your issue as well. There is a right/wrong way to do things. Airing dirty laundry isn't the right way according to our legal system and people can be held responsible. Owners of websites are considered "media" by the law. As such, they are held to a professional standard of conduct that is a higher standard of reasonableness than for a lay person. It is based on what newspapers, network and cable tv reporters, etc. would likely do in similar situations, and expert witnesses get called to testify.

As my dad always advised, "When it comes to courts and fights with the IRS, the little guy rarely if ever truly wins. So it is far wiser to err on the side of caution and do everything you can to stay away from both."

This dude appears to be a real tool. And I'm glad he got exposed. But the initial report here was very poorly executed. I'm commenting on this as a credentialed journalist and trying to help keep folks with good intentions out of trouble.

Re: Outfitter Scam - Rockin N Hunting / Michael Needham [Re: LeaseHunter] #916084 09/20/09 01:52 PM
R
rmartinphd Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
R
Well, he has cashed a $2500 check from me and I am not able to contact him on the phone number he gave me. I get a message stating that the person I am trying to reach is not accepting calls at this time. It's my own fault for trusting someone I really don't know with that much money. I'm 61 and should know better by now.

Obviously, I don't know where he is or why I cannot contact him, but I would advise caution in dealing with him--if you can find him. I cannot.

Re: Outfitter Scam - Rockin N Hunting / Michael Needham [Re: rmartinphd] #916087 09/20/09 01:53 PM
R
rmartinphd Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
R
rdmphd

Re: Outfitter Scam - Rockin N Hunting / Michael Needham [Re: rmartinphd] #916088 09/20/09 01:53 PM
R
rmartinphd Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
R
rmartinphd

Re: Outfitter Scam - Rockin N Hunting / Michael Needham [Re: LeaseHunter] #916144 09/20/09 03:05 PM
R
rmartinphd Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
R
A day has come and gone since your post. Apparently, something is amiss.

Re: Outfitter Scam - Rockin N Hunting / Michael Needham [Re: rmartinphd] #916150 09/20/09 03:13 PM
dgilbert Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
confused2

Re: Outfitter Scam - Rockin N Hunting / Michael Needham [Re: dgilbert] #916884 09/21/09 01:16 AM
R
Red Cloud Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
Good work on this one. I am a retired Lawman and scam artist in any venue are deserving of the maximum penalty prescribed by law.

A scam perpetrated on us, the sportsman, makes me furious. We need to continue to watch out for each other. We cannot allow this crap,
We have enough to deal with already when you consider groups like PETA.

Moderators if I over stepped a sensitive boundary, I apologize to the Forum members.

Re: Outfitter Scam - Rockin N Hunting / Michael Needham [Re: dolphingirl] #917868 09/21/09 03:42 PM
T
TXPalerider Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
T
Originally Posted By: dolphingirl
Wow i am glad that I seen this today because come Monday I was going to send in a deposit for a hunt with this guy! Ya know a friend told me that it sounds way to good to be true and I am glad that I did send my money yet! He sent me an email with his bank info and everything and I sent him one back asking for a few more specific questions and still haven't gotten an answer from him and now I see why! Thank you guys so much for this info! What a sorry person!

Kelly

Glad it worked out Kelly. It sounded to good to be true, and when I called him something just seemed hinky.

At least, now you still have the cash to fill your freezer with axis meat. laugh

Behold, a pale horse
Re: Outfitter Scam - Rockin N Hunting / Michael Needham [Re: TXPalerider] #918337 09/21/09 07:07 PM
D
dg31 Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
D
I along with 8 of my friends sent him $1,100 each! We too cannot reach him. Is detective Jeff Whitaker the appropriate person to contact to file charges? Also, has anyone on this board ever met and/or hunted with him?

Re: Outfitter Scam - Rockin N Hunting / Michael Needham [Re: dg31] #918367 09/21/09 07:21 PM
D
dg31 Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
D
I just spoke with a very nice lady named Whintney at the Kimble county sheriffs office. She did confirm my concerns and varified Detective Jeff Whitaker is the one to talk to. He is going to call me back. If you have sent money to micheal Needham contact Jeff.

Re: Outfitter Scam - Rockin N Hunting / Michael Needham [Re: dg31] #921220 09/22/09 10:36 PM
L
ldm_tex Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
L
I am getting a failure with jeffwhitaker@yahoo.com Does someone have a correct e-mail or phone number to call. Just curious, has a crime or fraud been commited before the date of the hunt? My hunt was not set to happen until Thanksgiving weekend.
Any help or suggestions welcome, since I have never had this problem before.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide