Print Thread
Elk draws #9038629 04/25/24 11:03 PM
B
BDB Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
B
Well as usual my wife informed me N.M. credited our account, ruining my day. But....the tides did sway.......We drew Montana archery tags

YEEEEEEE F" ING HAWWWW!! banana

Re: Elk draws [Re: BDB] #9038669 04/26/24 12:32 AM
T
TXHOGSLAYER Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by BDB
Well as usual my wife informed me N.M. credited our account, ruining my day. But....the tides did sway.......We drew Montana archery tags

YEEEEEEE F" ING HAWWWW!! banana

Congrats!

LETS GO BRANDON
Re: Elk draws [Re: BDB] #9038680 04/26/24 12:51 AM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
thats a good day!

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Elk draws [Re: BDB] #9040624 04/30/24 02:51 PM
T
TXHOGSLAYER Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Should be a great time, congrats.

LETS GO BRANDON
Re: Elk draws [Re: BDB] #9041081 05/01/24 01:08 PM
M
mdwest Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
M
We got skunked in NM as well... but both the wife and I picked up elk tags in Idaho (as well as deer tags) for 2024, so we're pretty stoked overall,,,

Re: Elk draws [Re: mdwest] #9041149 05/01/24 02:48 PM
B
BDB Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
B
Originally Posted by mdwest
We got skunked in NM as well... but both the wife and I picked up elk tags in Idaho (as well as deer tags) for 2024, so we're pretty stoked overall,,,

dec 1st zoo tags or another type? We were going to put in Idaho draw but now that we drew Montana don't have to worry about another state. Me and my son were in the 40k range in line back in dec for Idaho. Looks like maybe Colorado next year with our points.

Re: Elk draws [Re: BDB] #9041152 05/01/24 02:51 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by BDB

dec 1st zoo tags or another type? We were going to put in Idaho draw but now that we drew Montana don't have to worry about another state. Me and my son were in the 40k range in line back in dec for Idaho. Looks like maybe Colorado next year with our points.

Idaho is a good state to take a shot at moose, MG or sheep if you already have an elk tag, since you can not put in for the super AND deer/elk

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: Elk draws [Re: BDB] #9041200 05/01/24 04:35 PM
W
Wytex Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
W
You all get your Wyoming results before us residents even have to be applied, lol.
I guess NRs have at least 1 perk in Wyoming.

Good luck in our draw for those in it, should be an interesting year with all the changes.
Might be some good tags in the leftover draw this year.

Hoping for a LQ tag for both of us but odds are very iffy, at least we get the general option for on the ranch later in that season and unlimited cow tags.

Re: Elk draws [Re: BDB] #9043881 05/06/24 09:59 PM
M
mdwest Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
M
Originally Posted by BDB

Im not familiar with zoo tags? These are the standard "first come, first served" tags that you have to get into the que for and wait for hours upon hours to see if your "randomized" number was low enough to be able to get a tag.

We were really fortunate.. my wife, a good buddy, and I were all logged in a full hour before sales began.. I ended up with a pretty high number.. my buddys was worse.. and my wifes was worse still.. but the areas we wanted to hunt (northern pan handles and dworshak apparently arent super desireable.. so all three of us managed to pull both a general deer tag and an elk tag...

our plan for now (subject to change) is to be there opening week (rifle) in October..

Last edited by mdwest; 05/06/24 10:00 PM.
Re: Elk draws [Re: BOBO the Clown] #9044433 05/08/24 01:33 AM
J
jnd59 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown
Originally Posted by BDB

Idaho is a good state to take a shot at moose, MG or sheep if you already have an elk tag, since you can not put in for the super AND deer/elk

I've never looked at Idaho for MG. I figured that door was shut for me. But your telling me there's a chance.....

No matter how high a duck flies a hammer still breaks a window.
Re: Elk draws [Re: jnd59] #9045002 05/09/24 01:53 PM
M
mdwest Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
M
Originally Posted by jnd59

I've never looked at Idaho for MG. I figured that door was shut for me. But your telling me there's a chance.....

Sadly I think there WAS a chance... but it might be gone now...

Idaho is changing its system for the 2025 season..

In the past the system was sort of a weird hybrid 1st come, 1st served over the counter system where you either went and stood in line (if you were local or from a nearby state) at a location that sells tags on the day that tag sales was scheduled to happen... OR.... you got in line online...

When you logged into their system you were assigned a randomized number.. so, just because you were the very first person to log in, that did not mean you were going to be #1 in the que... but generally speaking if you got onto the system BEFORE sales started happening, you had a pretty good shot at a tag (it just might not be available in the unit you want to hunt).. once sales occur, you are "next" in line behind everyone that logged in early (so youre going to be waiting 3-5 hours before you can purchase if you didnt log in early.. which means that its almost certain all tags will be gone by the time they get to you...)...

For us, the units we want to hunt in 2024 are far north and not the most desirable, so we knew going in we had a really good shot at getting tags.. and amazingly enough all three of the hunters in my party drew both elk and deer tags for our desired units....

Starting for the 2025 season, Idaho is going to a lottery/points system like most other western states already have in place.. OTC tags are no longer available for non residents.. (residents I believe can still get their tags OTC and take priority over non residents)

The new system is obviously unproven, and a lot of people are suspect as to whether or not it will even work (the old OTC system was a bit of a nightmare already for a variety of reasons)...

I am super happy we managed to grab tags for 2024 before all of these changes occurred.... Im not sure how easy it might be grabbing them in the future..

For MG, I think there is still a chance.. but honestly I think its super limited for non residents as well...

Idaho has what they call a "Controlled Hunt" option.. basically you have to buy a hunting license (not cheap as a non resident) and then apply for a controlled hunt (pretty cheap).. there is an extremely limited number of these hunts available.. As I understand it from my Idaho resident friends, they are really designed more for group hunts and/or outfitter/guided hunts...

We're in the process now of applying for a controlled hunt for our elk in October.. since we already have tags and licenses the cost is minimal ($18 a person I think).. what this would do is give us more options in terms of where we hunt (right now we're all spread out a bit) if we are successful.. if not, we have our Plan B to fall back on (hunt where our tags were awarded)... but we're being told there are only a few hundred of these available in each unit and that the chances are exceptionally slim.. and that for things like goats, they are super slim...

Last edited by mdwest; 05/09/24 01:58 PM.
Re: Elk draws [Re: mdwest] #9045026 05/09/24 02:18 PM
B
BDB Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
B

Sadly I think there WAS a chance... but it might be gone now...

Idaho is changing its system for the 2025 season..

In the past the system was sort of a weird hybrid 1st come, 1st served over the counter system where you either went and stood in line (if you were local or from a nearby state) at a location that sells tags on the day that tag sales was scheduled to happen... OR.... you got in line online...

When you logged into their system you were assigned a randomized number.. so, just because you were the very first person to log in, that did not mean you were going to be #1 in the que... but generally speaking if you got onto the system BEFORE sales started happening, you had a pretty good shot at a tag (it just might not be available in the unit you want to hunt).. once sales occur, you are "next" in line behind everyone that logged in early (so youre going to be waiting 3-5 hours before you can purchase if you didnt log in early.. which means that its almost certain all tags will be gone by the time they get to you...)...

For us, the units we want to hunt in 2024 are far north and not the most desirable, so we knew going in we had a really good shot at getting tags.. and amazingly enough all three of the hunters in my party drew both elk and deer tags for our desired units....

Starting for the 2025 season, Idaho is going to a lottery/points system like most other western states already have in place.. OTC tags are no longer available for non residents.. (residents I believe can still get their tags OTC and take priority over non residents)

The new system is obviously unproven, and a lot of people are suspect as to whether or not it will even work (the old OTC system was a bit of a nightmare already for a variety of reasons)...

I am super happy we managed to grab tags for 2024 before all of these changes occurred.... Im not sure how easy it might be grabbing them in the future..

For MG, I think there is still a chance.. but honestly I think its super limited for non residents as well...

Idaho has what they call a "Controlled Hunt" option.. basically you have to buy a hunting license (not cheap as a non resident) and then apply for a controlled hunt (pretty cheap).. there is an extremely limited number of these hunts available.. As I understand it from my Idaho resident friends, they are really designed more for group hunts and/or outfitter/guided hunts...

We're in the process now of applying for a controlled hunt for our elk in October.. since we already have tags and licenses the cost is minimal ($18 a person I think).. what this would do is give us more options in terms of where we hunt (right now we're all spread out a bit) if we are successful.. if not, we have our Plan B to fall back on (hunt where our tags were awarded)... but we're being told there are only a few hundred of these available in each unit and that the chances are exceptionally slim.. and that for things like goats, they are super slim...

Yea I call Dec 1st the zoo tags now because of the number of people. Two years ago I was 499 in line, my son was 17,500 in line. We had to hunt separate units but he grabbed a tag (handfull was left when he got up to bat) in a unit next to mine and we camped near the units boundary. I only picked the unit i chose so we had a chance to hunt together or at least close...got the latter. Last year we both in the 40,000 range in line. Word was there was 35k in line 2 years ago and 50k this past Dec 1st. If your not in the virtual waiting room when tags start selling your chit out of luck.

When you say yall were way back in line how far back were yall?

Re: Elk draws [Re: BDB] #9047192 05/14/24 06:31 PM
E
ErnestTBass Offline
Tracker
Tracker
E
I also got skunked in NM, per usual. But last year my son drew a great youth elk tag and filled it, so we are still to the good.

I've got antelope points for both of us in WY. May try and cash those in for 2025.

Re: Elk draws [Re: BDB] #9047574 05/15/24 04:34 PM
J
jnd59 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
I guess if Idaho is going to a preference point system in 25 I should start applying. Will they convert anything to PPs or will we all start out at 0 in 25. If it is zero I might as well build points. After all, the one who dies with the most points wins...

Re: Elk draws [Re: ErnestTBass] #9047575 05/15/24 04:36 PM
J
jnd59 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
Originally Posted by ErnestTBass
I also got skunked in NM, per usual. But last year my son drew a great youth elk tag and filled it, so we are still to the good.

I've got antelope points for both of us in WY. May try and cash those in for 2025.

If you have never hunted WY antelope, PM me. I've hunted and scouted several areas.

Re: Elk draws [Re: jnd59] #9047581 05/15/24 04:52 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
I guess if Idaho is going to a preference point system in 25 I should start applying. Will they convert anything to PPs or will we all start out at 0 in 25. If it is zero I might as well build points. After all, the one who dies with the most points wins...

No way to convert right now because of how the draw is divided into two categories and you can’t apply to both.

Plus, I didn’t think they where going to a PP, just doing away with NR OTC tags, and replacing with random draw like NM

Re: Elk draws [Re: BDB] #9047592 05/15/24 05:10 PM
M
MWTX270 Online Content
Bird Dog
Online Content
Bird Dog
M
I zeroed in New Mexico, but drew a pronghorn in Utah. Better than nothing.

Re: Elk draws [Re: MWTX270] #9047605 05/15/24 05:28 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by MWTX270
I zeroed in New Mexico, but drew a pronghorn in Utah. Better than nothing.

congrats Utah email was another sad face this year for me

Re: Elk draws [Re: BOBO the Clown] #9047873 05/16/24 04:18 AM
J
jnd59 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J

No way to convert right now because of how the draw is divided into two categories and you can’t apply to both.

Plus, I didn’t think they where going to a PP, just doing away with NR OTC tags, and replacing with random draw like NM

Ok. Thanks for clearing that up for me. Well. If it is a random draw I might as well jump in. Never hunted Idaho or even looked at it seriously but I have thought about the archery OTC tags now and again.. I haven't even looked at units. I've got to burn WY, CO, SD and AZ points some time soon. After all, the one who dies with the most unused points loses...

Re: Elk draws [Re: jnd59] #9047878 05/16/24 04:54 AM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal

Ok. Thanks for clearing that up for me. Well. If it is a random draw I might as well jump in. Never hunted Idaho or even looked at it seriously but I have thought about the archery OTC tags now and again.. I haven't even looked at units. I've got to burn WY, CO, SD and AZ points some time soon. After all, the one who dies with the most unused points loses...

Idaho if you apply for moose, sheep or goats you can’t put in for elk or deer, Idaho is one of the few hunting trips I’ve been one where ai saw bighorns, mtn goats, gaint moose, bear, elk and deer in same trip

only problem with Idaho is 24 hr one way drive.

Re: Elk draws [Re: BDB] #9047950 05/16/24 01:03 PM
W
Wytex Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
W
Wyoming results are up, any one get lucky ?

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide