Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Who Rebuilds Cordless Tool Batteries #8999683 02/04/24 02:11 PM
GasGuzzler Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
Looking for a simple and affordable solution for four dead Makita batteries that are well over $100 each to replace. I've heard of people getting them rebuilt. Anyone have firsthand knowledge?

Pass the gravy.

Re: Who Rebuilds Cordless Tool Batteries [Re: GasGuzzler] #8999687 02/04/24 02:15 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Q
Google/youtube will be your friend; I looked up how to rebuild DeWalt batteries years ago. The info is there, can likely get parts from Amazon.

Then I found out they made an adapter that allowed me to ditch the old batteries and use the newer lithium-ions, so that I can still use the old tools but with the same batteries from my newer tools.

Good luck to you, see what’s out there!

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: Who Rebuilds Cordless Tool Batteries [Re: GasGuzzler] #8999690 02/04/24 02:20 PM
GasGuzzler Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
They are all Li-Ion batteries ranging from 4 to 10 years old, all with a chip inside.

Pass the gravy.

Re: Who Rebuilds Cordless Tool Batteries [Re: GasGuzzler] #8999693 02/04/24 02:23 PM
R
RedRanger Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted by GasGuzzler
Looking for a simple and affordable solution for four dead Makita batteries that are well over $100 each to replace. I've heard of people getting them rebuilt. Anyone have firsthand knowledge?

You best best it to switch over to Team Red and rebuild with Milwaukee Cordless tools.

I used to play the battery game with dewalt years ago, got tired of them dying

I went Milwaukee and all my battery issues went away.

Re: Who Rebuilds Cordless Tool Batteries [Re: GasGuzzler] #8999698 02/04/24 02:29 PM
GasGuzzler Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
I have some Milwaukee stuff.
One of their batteries died in less than a year. I bought a replacement on Amazon for $37. Retail was $90.
One of the ratchets wouldn't hold under torque and got replaced under warranty by the Matco guy I didn't even buy it from.
The 1/2" impact of theirs I have will remove and reinstall one set of wheels before the battery needs charged and it's not strong enough to take 2500/3500 lug nuts loose.

I have Makita because they were the only ones for years and years so there were no choices. I am not ready to spend $1500 on all new tools. I'll buy new batteries before I do that.

Pass the gravy.

Re: Who Rebuilds Cordless Tool Batteries [Re: GasGuzzler] #8999852 02/04/24 07:07 PM
P
pdr55 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
Batteries plus used to rebuild them, but you could almost buy new for what they charged if I remember correctly.

If you`re running down my country, man,
You`re walking on the fighting side of me. (Merle)
Re: Who Rebuilds Cordless Tool Batteries [Re: GasGuzzler] #8999853 02/04/24 07:07 PM
603Country Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Batteries Plus will rebuild cordless tool batteries, but at one time they wouldn’t do Lithium batteries. Maybe they have changed by now. Might be worth a call.

The only batteries I have that seem extra capable are the very expensive Milwaukee Fuel ones. Impressive performance and impressive price.

Not my monkeys, not my circus...
Re: Who Rebuilds Cordless Tool Batteries [Re: GasGuzzler] #8999904 02/04/24 09:10 PM
T
TEXASLEFTY Offline
THF Whiskey Sommelier
THF Whiskey Sommelier
T
I’m in on this thread…..

I haven’t found anybody to rebuild Lithium ion Milwaukee M18 batteries

You can repair them yourself and it’s shockingly cheap, only caveat is it’s STRONGLY recommended to NOT solder on the batteries. I’ve seen a few guys use a small welder, I know that sounds insane but, if you seen what one of these batteries is capable of…..

Milwaukee knows they have a problem with there batteries, any thing over a 6.0. That’s why the new forge series was created, even though they aren’t going to publicly admit that.

If anyone knows where to have them repaired, I’d appreciate that knowledge also.

Originally Posted by Chunky Monkey
Never been to a camping world. I prefer Dick's to be honest.
Re: Who Rebuilds Cordless Tool Batteries [Re: GasGuzzler] #8999905 02/04/24 09:13 PM
R
RedRanger Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
I have some Milwaukee stuff.
One of their batteries died in less than a year. I bought a replacement on Amazon for $37. Retail was $90.
One of the ratchets wouldn't hold under torque and got replaced under warranty by the Matco guy I didn't even buy it from.
The 1/2" impact of theirs I have will remove and reinstall one set of wheels before the battery needs charged and it's not strong enough to take 2500/3500 lug nuts loose.

I have Makita because they were the only ones for years and years so there were no choices. I am not ready to spend $1500 on all new tools. I'll buy new batteries before I do that.

Milwaukee batteries come with a 1 year warranty, most of the cordless tools come with 5 year warranty.

I have tons of Milwaukee tools that were used daily in a work setting and batteries as well, they hold up very well.

Sometimes you need to punt and start over.

Re: Who Rebuilds Cordless Tool Batteries [Re: TEXASLEFTY] #8999907 02/04/24 09:15 PM
R
RedRanger Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted by TEXASLEFTY
I’m in on this thread…..

I haven’t found anybody to rebuild Lithium ion Milwaukee M18 batteries

You can repair them yourself and it’s shockingly cheap, only caveat is it’s STRONGLY recommended to NOT solder on the batteries. I’ve seen a few guys use a small welder, I know that sounds insane but, if you seen what one of these batteries is capable of…..

Milwaukee knows they have a problem with there batteries, any thing over a 6.0. That’s why the new forge series was created, even though they aren’t going to publicly admit that.

If anyone knows where to have them repaired, I’d appreciate that knowledge also.

https://www.milwaukeetool.com/Support/Find-A-Service-Center

Re: Who Rebuilds Cordless Tool Batteries [Re: GasGuzzler] #8999978 02/04/24 10:52 PM
T
TEXASLEFTY Offline
THF Whiskey Sommelier
THF Whiskey Sommelier
T
Milwaukee M18 batteries have a 3 year warranty.

Milwaukee will not repair or even give you a credit for your bad batteries.

I’m looking for someone who can repair my Milwaukee M18 batteries.

Re: Who Rebuilds Cordless Tool Batteries [Re: GasGuzzler] #9000018 02/05/24 12:01 AM
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
I get a ton of use out of Milwaukee M18 drill drivers in my wood shop. Been using one for years (wife claimed the other one) and have not had a battery die. We also have M18 vacuums for the RV and TT, and a couple of handheld lights.

All the other heavy use cordless drills are Ryobi. I bought them because they were relatively cheap, and they were for use in my Houston woodshop. The plan was to use them till they died and then get some better gear when we were full time at the ranch. Well, it was a good plan, but the Ryobi didn’t die. I’m still using them. I have run through batteries in the last 12 years, but Ryobi replacements aren’t terribly expensive. Keep the receipts and put the purchase date on the batteries with a Sharpie. If they die too soon, Home Depot will replace them. I’ve had to do that once when I got a bad one.

Never ever had a battery rebuilt, though I did talk to Batteries Plus about it. That didn’t get far.

Re: Who Rebuilds Cordless Tool Batteries [Re: RedRanger] #9000049 02/05/24 12:54 AM
GasGuzzler Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
If you are here to say Milwaukee is better than Makita, just don't post any more. The whole point was to ask if anyone has a personal positive experience with having an 18V Li-Ion battery rebuilt. Simple question that should have simple answers. But no...<deleted what I wrote there about some folks here>.

603 makes a valid point for someone else's topic. If you buy Milwaukee, GET THE FUEL version...otherwise the red brand is trash.

Back to the subject: I bought a set from the original and still very good Japanese cordless brand today for $169 that included two 1.5 Ah batteries (that retail for $89 each) plus an impact to replace one I use daily that has a trigger issue and a charger (now I have six changers) plus a useless bag. So I got two 1.5 Ah batteries at a discount and the charger and bag I don't need PLUS the impact I DO need were free.

Originally Posted by RedRanger
Milwaukee batteries come with a 1 year warranty, most of the cordless tools come with 5 year warranty.

I have tons of Milwaukee tools that were used daily in a work setting and batteries as well, they hold up very well.

I have a 5.0 Ah Makita battery on an impact I use daily and all day. I charge it ONCE PER MONTH. My 1.5Ah Makita batteries that are good are used daily for work on a drill and a screw gun. Those get charged twice per month. My Milwaukee batteries for the ratchets (three of them) get charged TWICE PER WEEK EACH. I had to buy an extra when one failed a year into ownership. I never asked what brand is better and I have real world experience on the job that proves to me the RED brand does NOT have better batteries (never asked that, pay attention to the topic please) ... just wanted to know if anyone knew about a source to get batteries rebuilt.

The answer is no so far on getting batteries rebuilt. I completed my task so keep the real advice going to help John with his failed Milwaukee batteries. He's not the only one.

Pass the gravy.

Re: Who Rebuilds Cordless Tool Batteries [Re: GasGuzzler] #9000056 02/05/24 01:06 AM
T
TEXASLEFTY Offline
THF Whiskey Sommelier
THF Whiskey Sommelier
T
603, this applies to the M18 Milwaukee only. The 5.0 and down do not appear to have the same problems with longevity that the 6.0-12.0 have.

And yes

Sorry gas guzzler, I wasnt trying to take over your thread, I started out trying to help.

I have two 12.0 m18 batteries one is completely shot, worked perfect one day and was broken the next and one that only lights up to 3 bars when fully charged.

I fully intend to learn to repair them myself if I can’t find someone to do it for me, the parts are readily available, just not from Milwaukee.

And lastly, if you’ve read this far….. thank you

Re: Who Rebuilds Cordless Tool Batteries [Re: GasGuzzler] #9000062 02/05/24 01:17 AM
J
jlsbassman Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
J
Better off investing in some new Milwaukee M18 stuff. Batteries plus did the nicd batteries but not the lion. Said they were to unstable to mess with.

Re: Who Rebuilds Cordless Tool Batteries [Re: jlsbassman] #9000067 02/05/24 01:23 AM
T
TEXASLEFTY Offline
THF Whiskey Sommelier
THF Whiskey Sommelier
T
Originally Posted by jlsbassman
Better off investing in some new Milwaukee M18 stuff. Batteries plus did the nicd batteries but not the lion. Said they were to unstable to mess with.

I think several of us are already of that opinion, sir.

But, when the battery is 40 months old and $275 with tax…. I’d like to be able to repair it.

Re: Who Rebuilds Cordless Tool Batteries [Re: GasGuzzler] #9000083 02/05/24 01:51 AM
J
jlsbassman Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
J
If you are here to say Milwaukee is better than Makita, just don't post any more. The whole point was to ask if anyone has a personal positive experience with having an 18V Li-Ion battery rebuilt. Simple question that should have simple answers. But no...<deleted what I wrote there about some folks here>.

603 makes a valid point for someone else's topic. If you buy Milwaukee, GET THE FUEL version...otherwise the red brand is trash.

Back to the subject: I bought a set from the original and still very good Japanese cordless brand today for $169 that included two 1.5 Ah batteries (that retail for $89 each) plus an impact to replace one I use daily that has a trigger issue and a charger (now I have six changers) plus a useless bag. So I got two 1.5 Ah batteries at a discount and the charger and bag I don't need PLUS the impact I DO need were free.

I have a 5.0 Ah Makita battery on an impact I use daily and all day. I charge it ONCE PER MONTH. My 1.5Ah Makita batteries that are good are used daily for work on a drill and a screw gun. Those get charged twice per month. My Milwaukee batteries for the ratchets (three of them) get charged TWICE PER WEEK EACH. I had to buy an extra when one failed a year into ownership. I never asked what brand is better and I have real world experience on the job that proves to me the RED brand does NOT have better batteries (never asked that, pay attention to the topic please) ... just wanted to know if anyone knew about a source to get batteries rebuilt.

The answer is no so far on getting batteries rebuilt. I completed my task so keep the real advice going to help John with his failed Milwaukee batteries. He's not the only one.

I’m here to tell you that Milwaukee is better than Makita, if they weren’t ever tool truck in the metroplex would be selling makita. If you use your impact that much there’s no way a 5.0 battery will last a month using it everyday, all day. That’s just fiction.

Re: Who Rebuilds Cordless Tool Batteries [Re: GasGuzzler] #9000158 02/05/24 09:03 AM
R
RedRanger Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
If you have a Milwaukee 9.0 battery they had factory issues with those, and they have a lifetime warranty due to that issue. So when they go bad you can trade them in for a free 8.0 from Milwaukee.

Just a FYI if you have a 9.0 still.

Re: Who Rebuilds Cordless Tool Batteries [Re: TEXASLEFTY] #9000160 02/05/24 09:26 AM
R
RedRanger Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Milwaukee M18 batteries have a 3 year warranty.

Milwaukee will not repair or even give you a credit for your bad batteries.

I’m looking for someone who can repair my Milwaukee M18 batteries.

Batteries have 1 to 3 year warranty for M18, you have to use the chart to figure it out

https://www.milwaukeetool.com/Support/Registration-and-Warranty

Re: Who Rebuilds Cordless Tool Batteries [Re: RedRanger] #9000166 02/05/24 11:28 AM
T
TEXASLEFTY Offline
THF Whiskey Sommelier
THF Whiskey Sommelier
T
If you have a Milwaukee 9.0 battery they had factory issues with those, and they have a lifetime warranty due to that issue. So when they go bad you can trade them in for a free 8.0 from Milwaukee.

Just a FYI if you have a 9.0 still.

I interesting, I didn’t know about the extended warranty, I’ve had a 9.0 battery replaced under warranty, with. 9.0.

For the record the 6.0 and up all have the same problems.

I looked at your chart, looks like the 5.0 only has a one year warranty, which I find interesting also since they have lasted years for my personal experience.

Re: Who Rebuilds Cordless Tool Batteries [Re: GasGuzzler] #9000168 02/05/24 11:30 AM
T
TEXASLEFTY Offline
THF Whiskey Sommelier
THF Whiskey Sommelier
T
Now

RedRanger

Surprise me and go back to the original post of this thread, try and find somebody actually repairing lithium ion batteries.

Re: Who Rebuilds Cordless Tool Batteries [Re: TEXASLEFTY] #9000745 02/06/24 12:43 PM
R
RedRanger Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Now

RedRanger

Surprise me and go back to the original post of this thread, try and find somebody actually repairing lithium ion batteries.

Milwaukee doesn't rebuild many of their cordless tools.

You send them a tool and they just ship back a new tool

I have quit a bit of them, and only ones I have had to send back is the M18 Oscilatting tool and M18 vacs. Thankfully those come with 5 year warranty.

Re: Who Rebuilds Cordless Tool Batteries [Re: GasGuzzler] #9001055 02/06/24 09:45 PM
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
I may be wrong, but I’m pretty sure we can buy rebuilt Li batteries. If that’s the case, somebody is rebuilding them. I wonder who.

The Milwaukee M18 batteries, mostly the little ones for my drill/driver, have been great. A couple of the older ones don’t seem to hold a charge quite as well as the new ones, but maybe that’s just my imagination. I used them a lot, since they are a great size for woodworking projects - light and strong.

I have a Milwaukee Fuel sawzall, and that thing is a beast. I could cut a Chevy in half with it maybe. And I have the Fuel air compressor. Love that thing. Makes airing up tires in the RV much easier.

Other than that, I seem to be stuck in Ryobi world, since the stuff won’t die. It’s pretty good gear now that they have the Li ion batteries.

As for who has the best batteries, they all seem to be about the same to me, though I don’t have Makita or Dewalt gear.

Good luck finding a rebuilder, and if you do, it is the OP’s duty to tell us about it.

As for me, I still can’t get that wood chipper to run, and it has 4 flats. And I’m drinking. So there…

Re: Who Rebuilds Cordless Tool Batteries [Re: RedRanger] #9001107 02/06/24 11:09 PM
T
TEXASLEFTY Offline
THF Whiskey Sommelier
THF Whiskey Sommelier
T
Now

RedRanger

Milwaukee doesn't rebuild many of their cordless tools.

You send them a tool and they just ship back a new tool

I have quit a bit of them, and only ones I have had to send back is the M18 Oscilatting tool and M18 vacs. Thankfully those come with 5 year warranty.

Well

You didn’t surprise me

Re: Who Rebuilds Cordless Tool Batteries [Re: GasGuzzler] #9001716 02/08/24 02:01 AM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Q
This company rebuilds a bunch of different brands.

https://www.mtobattery.com/collections/power-tool/milwaukee?page=2

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: Who Rebuilds Cordless Tool Batteries [Re: GasGuzzler] #9001725 02/08/24 02:06 AM
T
TEXASLEFTY Offline
THF Whiskey Sommelier
THF Whiskey Sommelier
T
Well……

Thanks…..

RedRanger

Re: Who Rebuilds Cordless Tool Batteries [Re: GasGuzzler] #9001791 02/08/24 04:59 AM
Ol Thumper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Just do what everybody else does and buy a new one and stick the old one in the package and return it rofl

Re: Who Rebuilds Cordless Tool Batteries [Re: GasGuzzler] #9001840 02/08/24 12:32 PM
GasGuzzler Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
Some of the off topic replies made me give up on searching for a rebuilder. I did post the solution in reply 13 four days ago though so I'm kinda amused the topic is still going. I am keeping a log of my battery charging frequency since I was called a liar.

Pass the gravy.

Re: Who Rebuilds Cordless Tool Batteries [Re: GasGuzzler] #9001855 02/08/24 01:16 PM
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
I gave up looking for a rebuilder a few years ago. The batteries I use hold up pretty well over the years, so I just replace them when necessary. And it’s rarely necessary.

Re: Who Rebuilds Cordless Tool Batteries [Re: GasGuzzler] #9004857 02/13/24 11:06 AM
HuntFish512 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Ive rebuilt a few of mine and also made some custom power banks. need to get a spot welder and the material. do research and take your time look up diy battery banks on YT for referance. It really isnt that hard to do, also be sure the cells you use to replace are identical in specs other than that its easy.

Re: Who Rebuilds Cordless Tool Batteries [Re: GasGuzzler] #9004858 02/13/24 11:09 AM
T
TEXASLEFTY Offline
THF Whiskey Sommelier
THF Whiskey Sommelier
T
Thank you

I’d like to get a small spot welder

Re: Who Rebuilds Cordless Tool Batteries [Re: GasGuzzler] #9005282 02/14/24 02:09 AM
L
lms Offline
Tracker
Tracker
L
Ridgid carries a lifetime warranty on tools and batteries!

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide