Print Thread
Multiple feeders at one blind? #8990461 01/19/24 05:02 PM
S
Sewer rat Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
S
I mainly hunt pigs and deer and usually go by myself or maybe one guest. I currently have four blinds set up each with its own feeder on 330 acres. My place is split pretty much in half by a creek/canyon with walls that are near vertical and 50-100’ tall in many places. There are only a few select places where it can be crossed even on foot. It’s pretty open and easy to see across it.

Right now I have two blinds/feeders set up on each side of the creek. They are oriented differently for different winds,

Having four feeders going I often think about that when I am hunting there is a 75% chance that the game is going to hit a feeder that I am not at because I am only able to be at 1 of the 4.

My thoughts were to cut back to two blinds and place two feeders at each blind. I like longer shots so I was thinking of placing one feeder 200’ yards in one direction from the blind and the other 200’ in the opposite direction. I would also be able to lay it out such that feeders are on opposite sides of the creek.

Does this seem like a good idea or would it be a waste to have two feeders just 400 yards apart?

Re: Multiple feeders at one blind? [Re: Sewer rat] #8990465 01/19/24 05:08 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Don’t think it would be a waste, but not sure it would change what you’re seeing. I the terrain is that impassible I’d say it likely deters game from crossing as well, I’d like to be able to shoot both sides from one blind.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Multiple feeders at one blind? [Re: Sewer rat] #8990469 01/19/24 05:16 PM
U
unclebubba Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
U
We have one particular blind with 3 feeders and a food plot. Corn feeders to left and right, and protien straight ahead. I can also see a feeder for one of our other blinds 516 yards away across the pasture to the far left. Almost to the rear. I often see deer or pigs come to only 1 of the 4 feeders.

http://www.boatloan.com/michael-hunt/

Originally Posted by Nolanco
current federal policy is clearly irrational, scientifically insupportable and ridiculous.
Re: Multiple feeders at one blind? [Re: Sewer rat] #8990477 01/19/24 05:27 PM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
With just one hunter on 330 acres I would think 4 setups would be too many. The exception would be if you think the grass is greener on your neighbor and you are trying hard to pull deer onto you. Considering the layout you described it seems like the two stands and 4 feeders may be a good idea. One reason it could be helpful would be that some deer can dominate a feeder and it may not be the deer you want. You mentioned hunting hogs so I assume your feeders arent penned. Consider penning one of the two at each setup.
Remember, the main reason to put up a feeder is to draw deer to a location where you plan to be. If you can only hunt one at a time then you are defeating your purpose. If you had one person and 4 feeders on 1000 acres and had cameras to tell you which one to concentrate on then 4 may be useful. But on 330 acres you are likely gonna see the same deer at each one so dont have as many.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: Multiple feeders at one blind? [Re: Sewer rat] #8990503 01/19/24 06:37 PM
Sniper John Offline
gumshoe
gumshoe
I have one setup with a tower blind overlooking a feeder 100 yards away to my south. 100 or more yards farther south up and over a bluff on a terrace is another feeder with a log ground blind for a bow stand. So two feeders 100+ yards apart out of sight of each other at different elevations. On any given day there can be different deer coming to each feeder. Or hogs or turkeys will visit one, but not the other. I will get regular pictures of identifiable bucks at one feeder that almost never visit the other feeder. The times are staggered and some do walk from one to the other, especially does, but not always. My original purpose of the terrace feeder was to be able to archery hunt on a north wind without disturbing the main feeder below, but I do believe adding the 2nd feeder several years ago increased the amount of game at that stand location.

I have been on this lease for 20 years, but even when I was on other leases where I was only allowed one stand, I always used the same strategy of two feeders in different directions and distances out from my stand set at different times. Originally in case there was a malfunction with one of them, but I had seen the same thing before with them having different animals come to one and not the other.

I don't know if my experience helps or not, but if I were on a single person lease that originally had 4 setups. For reasons other than trying to draw every deer on the place I personally would consolidate and focus my attention, money, and time on the best 2. Two feeders at each at different directions and times. And more than one stand option at each setup to cover different wind directions and archery or rifle hunting, fair vs bad weather hunting. Those bucks will move during the rut anyway. I had one young very unique identifiable spike half way through this season move from one of my two setups to the other setup about a mile away.

Re: Multiple feeders at one blind? [Re: Sewer rat] #8990510 01/19/24 06:56 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
We hunt a similar sized property without major geographic divisions. We have 4 blinds and 4 corn feeders and 4 protein feeders. There is some overlap, but in general each blind sees mostly its own set of deer. I’m not sure how that would be affected if one were to be removed. I think multiple feed sources/setups makes more room available for extra deer to stake out “their territory” and in general increases the deer holding ability/capacity of the property.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Multiple feeders at one blind? [Re: Sewer rat] #8990515 01/19/24 06:58 PM
C
ctonsmitty Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
C
Sewer Rat
I only have 175 acres, but I have (6) corn feeders (all with 8-9 hog panels at each), 4 food plots (1-2 acres each) and (3) protein feeders AND 8 stands. NO COWS

If you reduce the number of feed stations you have, the less deer you will have because the feeders will be controlled by "dominate does". The reason I kept adding feed areas was because I noticed some does would go to a feeder and get run away by the dominate group, so I kept adding feed areas until there was enough food for all the deer that traveled thru my property.

I also shoot with a suppressed rifle and I don't shoot often. Generally speaking, I have a very healthy herd

Bottom line: do not reduce your feed (unless you are wasting the feed you are already putting out). The number of feed stations should be based on the number of deer that are willing to eat what you put out because if you don't they will leave

Re: Multiple feeders at one blind? [Re: Sewer rat] #8990519 01/19/24 07:05 PM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
I've almost always had 2 corn feeders per blind, especially with pigs, and fed year round.

Re: Multiple feeders at one blind? [Re: Sewer rat] #8990521 01/19/24 07:17 PM
N
ntxtrapper Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
I have a large hog proof feed pen for the deer and an unfenced area, that I can see from the same setup, where I feed the pigs. They don't run each other off and it works out great for me.

Re: Multiple feeders at one blind? [Re: ntxtrapper] #8990527 01/19/24 07:27 PM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted by ntxtrapper
I have a large hog proof feed pen for the deer and an unfenced area, that I can see from the same setup, where I feed the pigs. They don't run each other off and it works out great for me.

That's right. up Old lease that I was on for 25 yrs in Duval I put two feeders on each blind unfenced for the same reason. Everyone on the lease preferred eating pigs over deer anyway so it worked out pretty well. Had them all set to go off at the exact same time (to the second), most of the time the pigs would hit one feeder and the deer would hit the other, the corn thrown down the senderos & roads was a free for all either coming or going to the feeders.

Re: Multiple feeders at one blind? [Re: Sewer rat] #8990557 01/19/24 08:26 PM
B
BigPig Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
I’m setting up a feeder in a few weeks that’s for pigs, the feeder for deer is in a pen. They will be separated a few hundred yards.

Re: Multiple feeders at one blind? [Re: Sewer rat] #8990560 01/19/24 08:32 PM
T
TPACK Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
T
We have a small lease (120 acres) and 2 feeders and blinds. They are about 300 yards apart and heavy brush/cover. Both have cameras and you would be surprised how many bucks and does only go to one feeder 95% of the time. Some will go to both more often than others, but a buck I was wanting to shoot this year rarely went to both, so I was forced to hunt a specific feeder. I never got him , by the way.

Re: Multiple feeders at one blind? [Re: Sewer rat] #8991073 01/20/24 10:44 PM
C
chalet Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
C
One of the best stands I ever had was on my last lease. Feeders about 125 yds S and 125 N. It was common for deer to show up and go from one to the other but not always. Good news was wind was always in my favor for at least one, but then a lot of times I'd be upwind of the other one.

Plan was put 2 feeders in the better pen then put 2 stands opposite instead so I could choose one depending on the wind.

Lost the lease before that happened;

Shoot. Eat. Repeat.
Re: Multiple feeders at one blind? [Re: chalet] #8991211 01/21/24 02:29 AM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted by chalet
One of the best stands I ever had was on my last lease. Feeders about 125 yds S and 125 N. It was common for deer to show up and go from one to the other but not always. Good news was wind was always in my favor for at least one, but then a lot of times I'd be upwind of the other one.

Plan was put 2 feeders in the better pen then put 2 stands opposite instead so I could choose one depending on the wind.

Lost the lease before that happened;

Set feeders and stands east/west of each other. Have done this for a while, don’t think we have ever had an east/west wind

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Multiple feeders at one blind? [Re: Sewer rat] #8991300 01/21/24 07:24 AM
S
Sewer rat Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
S
Thanks for the replies. When I get time I am going to move them.

Re: Multiple feeders at one blind? [Re: Sewer rat] #8992154 01/22/24 08:39 PM
H
Huntindad Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
H
I have a blind with 2 feeders. After the season is over, I'll fill em up and set 1 to go off in the morning and 1 to go off in the afternoon.

Hunt WITH your kids... NOT for them
Re: Multiple feeders at one blind? [Re: Sewer rat] #8992195 01/22/24 09:55 PM
M
Mr. T. Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
I use to always do that when I hunted a long way from home in west texas. One in the morning, one in the evening. That
way if something was to happen to one, I was still feeding.

Cabin rental in Pagosa Springs, Co.
Sleeps 10, If interested please PM me.
Re: Multiple feeders at one blind? [Re: Sewer rat] #8995599 01/28/24 03:09 AM
V
VAFish Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
V
Originally Posted by Sewer rat
I mainly hunt pigs and deer and usually go by myself or maybe one guest. I currently have four blinds set up each with its own feeder on 330 acres. My place is split pretty much in half by a creek/canyon with walls that are near vertical and 50-100’ tall in many places. There are only a few select places where it can be crossed even on foot. It’s pretty open and easy to see across it.

Right now I have two blinds/feeders set up on each side of the creek. They are oriented differently for different winds,

Having four feeders going I often think about that when I am hunting there is a 75% chance that the game is going to hit a feeder that I am not at because I am only able to be at 1 of the 4.

My thoughts were to cut back to two blinds and place two feeders at each blind. I like longer shots so I was thinking of placing one feeder 200’ yards in one direction from the blind and the other 200’ in the opposite direction. I would also be able to lay it out such that feeders are on opposite sides of the creek.

Does this seem like a good idea or would it be a waste to have two feeders just 400 yards apart?

You need more hunting buddies.

"If your plan is for one year, plant rice.
If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."
-- Confucius
Re: Multiple feeders at one blind? [Re: Sewer rat] #8995614 01/28/24 03:35 AM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
Originally Posted by Sewer rat

You are thinking correctly. Cut down to two stands. My feeders are diametrically opposed with each being 150 yards from the stand. This is on my 600 acre pasture.

Re: Multiple feeders at one blind? [Re: Sewer rat] #8997583 01/31/24 03:18 PM
B
BDB Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
B
My tower has 3 corn feeders and a protein feeder. 1 corn slinger and the protein feeder are enclosed by a fence to keep hogs out. The other 2 are open but all three locations are in a somewhat triangle around my tower. The 2 unfenced corn feeders are also my bow stands

Re: Multiple feeders at one blind? [Re: Sewer rat] #8997622 01/31/24 04:10 PM
Double Naught Spy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I have a blind that is serviced by 2 feeders and they are sort of in the same general direction from the feeder. Why? I had a spare feeder and set it up farther away to see what it would accomplish. To my surprise, I discovered that sometimes animals will hit one feeder, but not the other. So adding the second feeder did bring in additional animals, it would seem. Of course, doubling the corn being thrown by adding the feeder didn't hurt.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Multiple feeders at one blind? [Re: Sewer rat] #8997678 01/31/24 05:46 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
[Linked Image]

Re: Multiple feeders at one blind? [Re: Sewer rat] #8998034 02/01/24 01:39 PM
T
Treinta-Treinta Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
I have one tower that watches 5 shooting lanes in different clock positions and 4 feeders. 2 feeders are in feeder pens 40 yards away in tight brush. The other feeders are at 200yards in a different direction. My objective is to keep the pigs far enough away from the feeder pens.

The feeders in the open go off 4 times during the day and the feeder pens only once in the morning. My objective for the feeder pens is not to have leftovers for the coons at night and to keep hogs from cruising around.

In my case it is NOT a waste because they all bring in different animals.

This setup works awesome.

Last edited by Treinta-Treinta; 02/01/24 01:46 PM.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide