Forums46
Topics537,992
Posts9,731,486
Members87,053
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 54 of 60 1 2 52 53 54 55 56 59 60
Re: Post your favorite deer processor in your area [Re: jsoukup] #7055071 01/27/18 06:41 PM
T
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Most don't take ground venison and you probably don't have the tag still. Kubys for sure won't. Pretty sure they are not allowed to by law as they can't take any deer that has been processed more than the quarters and you must present the tag. But check David's Meat Market in Garland.

Re: Post your favorite deer processor in your area [Re: Txduckman] #7055175 01/27/18 08:34 PM
K
Kayaker Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
K
Originally Posted By: Txduckman
Most don't take ground venison and you probably don't have the tag still. Kubys for sure won't. Pretty sure they are not allowed to by law as they can't take any deer that has been processed more than the quarters and you must present the tag. But check David's Meat Market in Garland.

Thanks for the heads up on David's in Garland, that is close to me.

Kuby's does take ground venison and make sausage out of it, I just dropped some off yesterday. They used to only take it if it was from them but they told me yesterday that they'll take others and just throw away any that is not "clean" and use the rest to make sausage. They did ask if it was from a buck or a doe and I said I wasn't sure.

Re: Post your favorite deer processor in your area [Re: jsoukup] #7055267 01/27/18 10:28 PM
T
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Cool good to know. I had some ground from Fischers last year and Kubys told me no since they didn't process it themselves and tag was gone. I was out of summer sausage but I loaded up this year! About to go pick order up.

David's is really good too. I used to take ducks there.

Re: Post your favorite deer processor in your area [Re: jsoukup] #7055291 01/27/18 11:05 PM
K
Kayaker Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
K
I just left David's and he said that he couldn't touch it. He recommended Hirsch's in Plano so I will check with them next.

A processor screwed up my order and ground the roast's instead of keeping them whole like I asked. Now I have a lot of straight ground venison that I need to get creative with. I just bought a jerky cannon and will learn how to use it tomorrow.

I know Kuby's used to have a sign saying that they will not take meat from others but the guy went into the back to ask someone when I asked about it. He said that they would take it.

I'll try Cinnamon Creek and Rockwall Game Processing as well.

Last edited by yaker; 01/27/18 11:05 PM.
Re: Post your favorite deer processor in your area *DELETED* [Re: jsoukup] #7055342 01/28/18 12:01 AM
W
Wilhunt Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Have used Hudson's in Austin many times and have been happy with their service. This year took two deer in and they messed up both orders. Went to Miller's in Llano the other day and later realized they charge $2.00 per lb. for boning out, the deer was already quartered. I thought that was excessive.

Re: Post your favorite deer processor in your area *DELETED* [Re: jsoukup] #7073533 02/10/18 09:38 PM
240z Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
East Texas, in Sulphur Springs, Hopkins County Food Locker.
Been using them for years for deer and cattle.

Harley Davidson Motorcycles.....the most efficent way to convert gasoline into noise, without the side effects of Horsepower.
Re: Post your favorite deer processor in your area *DELETED* [Re: jsoukup] #7088847 02/22/18 06:19 PM
W
WiseOutdoor Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
W
Old Plantation Springtown Tx. Fishers Meunster close number 2

Last edited by WiseOutdoor; 02/22/18 06:20 PM.
Re: Post your favorite deer processor in your area *DELETED* [Re: jsoukup] #7091980 02/25/18 02:47 AM
P
P&Y Bowhunter Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
P
Dan's in Peaster!

Re: Post your favorite deer processor in your area! [Re: R. Phillips] #7141397 04/15/18 01:25 PM
S
snake oil Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted By: R. Phillips
Halls in Coleman.

If I don't do it I'll only use Halls.......................

"You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas".
Re: Post your favorite deer processor in your area *DELETED* [Re: jsoukup] #7147744 04/22/18 05:24 AM
M
Marcel Behler Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
M
duel food cheers

Re: Post your favorite deer processor in your area! [Re: jsoukup] #7179022 05/24/18 09:47 PM
C
CW Knight Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
C
Anything around Colorado City?

Re: Post your favorite deer processor in your area! [Re: CW Knight] #7180410 05/26/18 04:25 AM
M
Marcel Behler Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
M

Deer lay siege to Andy Pico's wife's garden so often - eating her flowers - that the city councilman has named them.

"I call them The Venisons," Pico said with a laugh.

But the issue is no laughing matter, he said. Colorado Springs' urban deer population is said to be dangerously high, and the council is considering options to reduce it.

About 20 deer live in every square mile of southwest Colorado Springs, said Bill Vogrin, spokesman for Colorado Parks and Wildlife.

"Typically in the rural, forested areas of the state, we see two to three deer per square mile," Vogrin said. "That's the norm and what we consider healthy."

Related: A doe and her children walk into Colorado gift shop ...
Colorado Springs' dense deer population results in a high level of vehicle-vs.-deer crashes, authorities say.

Last year, 169 such accidents occurred along local stretches of Interstate 25, U.S. 24 and Colorado 115, the Colorado Department of Transportation reported.

"They don't grow up to be king of the forest," Pico said. "You don't get old deer here because they die on the side of the road."

Next month, Pico and Councilmen Merv Bennett and Don Knight will speak with Frank McGee, area wildlife manager for state Parks and Wildlife, to learn more about the problem and potential solutions.

All things considered, McGee said, regulated urban hunting might be one of the most viable options.

"There are things that work, and there are things that cost," McGee said. "Hunting is effective, and it doesn't cost."

If an urban hunt were allowed in Colorado Springs, it would involve bow and arrows, not firearms, McGee said. And the effort would be regulated at the council's discretion.

Even so, the idea has seen significant pushback from residents and some council members.

Opposition is to be expected, depending on the community, said Joe Caudell, a deer research biologist with the Indiana Department of Natural Resources.

Caudell's agency created the Urban Deer Technical Guide, a resource McGee said he's using as a partial guide to addressing the local deer population.

Urban hunting programs have been instituted sparingly in Indiana and other states, and they've had varying degrees of success, Caudell said. He said he hasn't heard of any accidents or injuries in Indiana communities such as Ogden Dunes or Hidden Valley, which have employed hunting programs.

"It can help reduce the deer populations," Caudell said. "But a lot of times, it's not the only solution used."

Two local hunters - a retired police officer and a reserve officer - hunted in approved areas within Ogden Dunes to great success, said Jim Reeder, chief of police. But so many residents in the northwest Indiana town opposed the program it split the community, he said.

"I think the town made the right decision, it took care of our deer problem, but politically it was a mess here for about three years," Reeder said. "Personally, I wouldn't want to go through it again."

Reeder said he knows both men selected for the hunting program and he personally supervised each outing and kept track of every round they fired.

Neither hunter was paid by the town and the approximately 110 deer they killed were donated to local food pantries, Reeder said. No accidents or injuries were reported.

For west side Colorado Springs resident Leigh Saulsbury, the notion of urban hunting reminds her of an injured deer that stumbled through her neighborhood a few years ago. She said the deer was shot with an arrow near Jenkins Park, and the experience "absolutely terrified" her.

She said urban hunting within city limits would make her uncomfortable.

Although the Air Force Academy boasts a successful deer hunting program, which began in 1988 and has decreased crash rates, Saulsbury said that's a different environment.

"The academy is hundreds of acres," she said. "Not on my street. There are dogs here. There are cats here. There are rabbits here."

Caudell said he also encourages use of fences to try to direct deer away from high traffic or residential areas. This and other trapping techniques can be used with urban hunting programs to better address booming populations, he said.

But each community must decide what works best, Caudell said.

McGee said fencing and repellents have had mixed results locally. They can protect property and curb accidents, but neither addresses the overpopulation problem, he said.

Other options include chemically sterilizing the deer, trapping and surgically spaying or neutering, trapping and euthanizing or trapping and relocating, McGee said. The options cost $500 to $3,000 per deer and are often ineffective, he said.

Moving the deer is especially difficult because many are infected with chronic wasting disease, bluetongue disease or the plague, McGee said. Their survival rate in a new environment is about 50 percent.

So the most effective options boil down to hunting variations, he said. The city can hire sharpshooters or allow regulated hunting by local residents.

Hiring hunters can cost up to $350 per deer, while regulated urban hunting is effectively free, McGee said. With both options, the venison generally is donated to feed the less fortunate.

City Council President Richard Skorman, who lives near Cheyenne Cañon, said he doesn't want an urban hunting program in town. He said he prefers to trap and euthanize the deer and donate the meat.

Council President Pro Tem Jill Gaebler has said she might support urban bow hunting, but she voiced concern about adverse effects.

Meggen Burghardt said she heads to Stratton Open Space a few times a week and wouldn't want urban hunting in the area because so many people and other animals are there.

"Kids, dogs, bicyclists. People wearing their headphones. I don't think it's very safe," Burghardt said. "Accidents happen."

But McGee said that while both hunting options carry the perception of danger, they can be safely implemented.

In early mornings, the two parks in Elizabeth, east of Castle Rock, belong to the 10 or so hunters chosen for the program there.

That's been the case for the past two years, said Mike Barney, executive director of the town's Parks and Recreation District.

No accidents or injuries have occurred, Barney said, and more than two dozen deer were killed in town parks this year.

"It's getting to the point where they're able to impact growth," he said. "I don't know that they're thinning the deer herd any, but they're keeping up with the local reproductive rate."

With a limited budget and staff, Barney said, the town didn't consider a lot of other options to cull deer herds, and public opposition was rare.

The hunters "probably haven't been seen.... They come at times early in the morning or in the evenings when the parks don't typically have a high level of use," he said. "They're pretty discreet about their efforts. They're certainly cleaning up when they do make a kill, properly disposing of the deer and providing meat to local families."

Hunters have to pass an accuracy test and schedule their park appearance in advance, among other things, Barney said. Not all who apply are accepted.

"It's been great for us," he said. "They're out of sight, out of mind. And we get reports from them, and we do believe it's helping to try and stabilize the deer population here and reduce deer/car collisions."

McGee said the local council could dictate that hunts occur only on certain size plots and that the hunters take extra safety classes, pass proficiency tests and fire only from elevated tree stands.

"It really depends on the city and their comfort level," he said.

Pico said he's still considering all the options, but it appears a controlled hunting program might be the most effective. He also sees a "fair amount of space" in town suitable for bow hunting. City parks would be off-limits, he said.

Vogrin said other areas also wouldn't work well.

"Some neighborhoods are just too densely built with homes and businesses, and hunting would be inappropriate," he said. "Some sort of trapping would be necessary in those areas if city leaders and the community decide they want to address the problems in those neighborhoods."

Council members will continue discussing urban hunting and other options in January, but no immediate recommendation is expected.

source:http://gazette.com.

Re: Post your favorite deer processor in your area *DELETED* [Re: jsoukup] #7195467 06/12/18 04:37 AM
M
Marcel Behler Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
M

Re: Post your favorite deer processor in your area *DELETED* [Re: jsoukup] #7243382 08/02/18 10:14 PM
B
Buckman69 Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
B
Fleming’s Pointblank Tx.

Re: Post your favorite deer processor in your area! [Re: jsoukup] #7246497 08/06/18 03:24 AM
B
brian43 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
Has anybody ever had Deer Sausage made at Kasper's in Weimar?

Re: Post your favorite deer processor in your area! [Re: jsoukup] #7255831 08/14/18 11:22 PM
N
nocknload Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
N

Almost sausage...

Re: Post your favorite deer processor in your area! [Re: jsoukup] #7255834 08/14/18 11:22 PM
N
nocknload Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
N
I like CCR and Wenzels

Re: Post your favorite deer processor in your area! [Re: jsoukup] #7262980 08/21/18 03:24 AM
I
igotnone Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
I
Jim and buddy’s Tyler texas

Re: Post your favorite deer processor in your area *DELETED* [Re: jsoukup] #7290767 09/19/18 01:14 AM
L
Littlebillyboy Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
L
Highland Lake Deer Processing 3102 S Us Highway 281, Marble Falls, TX 78654

Re: Post your favorite deer processor in your area! [Re: brian43] #7295520 09/24/18 04:00 AM
M
Marcel Behler Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
M
Originally Posted By: brian43
Has anybody ever had Deer Sausage made at Kasper's in Weimar?

Homemade sausage is so good and so cheap to make that you’ll never buy it from a store again. Here’s some take on a super healthy hot Italian.
https://gizmodo.com/how-to-make-your-own-venison-sausage-at-home-1738147773

Re: Post your favorite deer processor in your area! [Re: jsoukup] #7312959 10/13/18 12:58 PM
J
JoeA Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
J
Wild Country in Lindsay, TX. Just outside of Gainsville going West on Hwy 82. Eric does an excellent job and you always get your deer back. He also does great taxidermy work.

1200 Chaparral Dr
Lindsay, Texas 76250
(940) 665-1130

Re: Post your favorite deer processor in your area! [Re: jsoukup] #7315023 10/15/18 04:09 PM
J
JB1316 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
J
I've got hunts spread all over the place this year. Anyone have a tip for a place between Houston and Corpus that will process hog and deer?

Re: Post your favorite deer processor in your area *DELETED* [Re: DEERSTRANGLER] #7323974 10/23/18 11:45 AM
L
lthomas132 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
L
Originally Posted By: DEERSTRANGLER
Originally Posted By: RaiderFan
Been trying to make sense of this list and struggling. Been using Joshua Deer Processing and love the quality and flavor.

but, I have a new lease south of Cross Plains, TX. Any suggestions in the area for a hot day or a long weekend hunt? Good local processor would be a good thing to have.

Looked online and found a few:
B&R Deer Processing - Early
Ted's Deer Processing - Early
Santa Anna Custom Meats - Santa Anna
The butcher Block - Cross Plains
Hall's custom meats - Coleman
Does anyone have any experience with these, good or bad?

Truly appreciate any advice.

Robert

We just got one done at Mike and Ed’s in CP. really nice folks

Mike and Ed’s was bought by Potter of Potter Taxidermy there in Cross Plains (https://www.facebook.com/potter.taxidermy?rf=287622261434633). Will check their prices soon.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, beer in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.
Re: Post your favorite deer processor in your area *DELETED* [Re: jsoukup] #7330265 10/29/18 01:11 PM
T
TLew Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Any recommendations in the Bonham/Honey Grove area?

Re: Post your favorite deer processor in your area *DELETED* [Re: jsoukup] #7331806 10/30/18 04:02 PM
D
DeleteThisAccount Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D
My favorite deer processor is ME smile I was raised in a "You kill it, you clean it" household (and "clean it" meant skinning, butchering, yada yada) smile

Last edited by Binary; 10/30/18 04:03 PM.
Page 54 of 60 1 2 52 53 54 55 56 59 60
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide