Page 1 of 2 1 2
Neighbor Open Carrying #7310619 10/10/18 08:07 PM
M
Mickey Moose Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
M
My neighbor pulled in his driveway today and went to his mailbox. As I was driving by I noticed he was open carrying. I wonder how long he has been licensed. I've never noticed him carrying before and I'd like to believe I would have. Additionally he has never mentioned it - though we don't talk much and certainly never about guns so that's not surprising.

Anyway, nice to know I have a gun-friendly neighbor. He counteracts another neighbor who is a gun-hater.

My botnet is bigger than yours.
Re: Neighbor Open Carrying [Re: Mickey Moose] #7310653 10/10/18 08:43 PM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
Yep, I have a couple neighbors that open carry as well. I choose to conceal, but whatever...I like to see it. Also have a couple neighbors that are anti gun/anti hunting left wing blowhards that are just rude people. I like my gun friendly neighbors.

Re: Neighbor Open Carrying [Re: Mickey Moose] #7310716 10/10/18 09:46 PM
B
Bigfoot Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Isnt it amazing how that works. Liberal haters and normal nice trumponians

I just cant get comfortable open carrying in public but I do feel very comfortable concealed when nobody knows!

Last edited by Bigfoot; 10/10/18 09:47 PM.

GO TRUMP!
Re: Neighbor Open Carrying [Re: Mickey Moose] #7310761 10/10/18 10:53 PM
onlysmith&wesson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
I've opened carried when it was convenient, like when gong into town from lease. Walked right into McDonald's in Vernon with a Glock model 22 in a chest holster a handful of times. Without fail it's always women that want to talk guns. Men don't seem to notice. Ya'll right about gun haters. They're rude and the women are ugly.

An unethical shot is one you take, that you know you shouldn't.
Re: Neighbor Open Carrying [Re: Mickey Moose] #7310768 10/10/18 10:57 PM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S
Maybe it’s not common practice for him but only on occasion like when he goes to the range.

Re: Neighbor Open Carrying [Re: SapperTitan] #7310770 10/10/18 10:59 PM
M
Mickey Moose Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
M
He was in his typical work attire, a suit.

Re: Neighbor Open Carrying [Re: Mickey Moose] #7311054 10/11/18 11:36 AM
S
snake oil Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
I have only seen one person open carry in Graham and he was an out of towner.

"You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas".
Re: Neighbor Open Carrying [Re: Mickey Moose] #7311139 10/11/18 12:55 PM
W
wp75169 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
W
Each to their own but open carry to me spells target. I do agree that’s it’s a major deterrent but for those who will not be deterred you’re the first victim on the list. I think that even the dumbest criminals know at this point a fair percentage of Texans are concealed carrying except in said “gun free zones”.

And screw the liberal haters who can’t seem to keep from imposing their opinions on others.

Re: Neighbor Open Carrying [Re: Mickey Moose] #7311158 10/11/18 01:11 PM
D
Dalroo Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
A friend of mine came out to my place and we worked part of day then ran into town for lunch and some supplies. I didn't notice til we were in the restaurant that he still had glock in holster on his hip. Not a big deal, and I may have been the only one who noticed, but it is kind of awkward to me.

Dalroo
Deep in the Heart of Texas
How about that Brandon!
Re: Neighbor Open Carrying [Re: Mickey Moose] #7311220 10/11/18 02:14 PM
S
Scott W Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: Mickey Moose

A suit and open carrying, is he law enforcement?

I agree about open carry being a target, which is why I don't do it.

Originally Posted by Scott W
Re: Neighbor Open Carrying [Re: Scott W] #7311273 10/11/18 03:05 PM
T
Tactical Cowboy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: Scott W

I’ve seen people shoot. I’m not that scared.

The secret to a long life is to try not to shorten it.
Re: Neighbor Open Carrying [Re: Mickey Moose] #7311277 10/11/18 03:10 PM
Bbear Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
One of my neighbors is a Palestinian immigrant and isn't much into firearms. He has asked about guns and how to go about buying an learning to shoot one. He and his family, have no qualms about me loading up the truck to go to the range or go hunting. My former neighbor on the other side was mostly a PITA. (probably why my dog still prefers to poop on his yard and not mine). Always had a beef about firearms and all of the crimes 'they cause'.
He moved and a young school teacher moved in. Rarely see him so I don't know what type of neighbor I've got there other than he's quiet.
I guess I'm lucky not having run into too many of the virulent anti's out here.
I tend to agree that open carry can mark you for some abuse from the anti's and prefer co carry concealed.

[IMG][/IMG]

Pay it forward - Kids are the future.

Rifles are similar to boats and young women...there's no end to how much money you can pour into them without making them any more useful.
Re: Neighbor Open Carrying [Re: Scott W] #7311282 10/11/18 03:17 PM
M
Mickey Moose Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
M

Corporate attorney.

Re: Neighbor Open Carrying [Re: Tactical Cowboy] #7311338 10/11/18 04:08 PM
C
cabosandinh Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: Tactical Cowboy

you 're correct they've killed a lot of pavements

Re: Neighbor Open Carrying [Re: Mickey Moose] #7311400 10/11/18 05:25 PM
N
NORML as can be Online Content
^^Cut the Cord^^
Online Content
^^Cut the Cord^^
N

Corporate attorney.

That's what he tells you he's undercover. eek2

(R-TX) .-- " TCNN CURL CRLB VFF VRNO AYR SNDL CGC TLRY MSOS "

_=====___=________==-

Re: Neighbor Open Carrying [Re: Tactical Cowboy] #7311537 10/11/18 08:03 PM
T
tShawnB Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: Tactical Cowboy

This right here. In the old days the best and longest lived gunfighters where the ones who fired the fewest bullets.

How come everybody I meet is a deer hunting expert?
Re: Neighbor Open Carrying [Re: wp75169] #7311590 10/11/18 09:00 PM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S
Originally Posted By: wp75169
Each to their own but open carry to me spells target. I do agree that’s it’s a major deterrent but for those who will not be deterred you’re the first victim on the list. I think that even the dumbest criminals know at this point a fair percentage of Texans are concealed carrying except in said “gun free zones”.

And screw the liberal haters who can’t seem to keep from imposing their opinions on others.
I hear this all the time but how many stories have you seen where a robber shot a guy open carrying then robbed a store or any scenario where an open carry person was targeted in a crime? I can’t think of one I’ve ever seen or heard of. I still conceal carry bc it’s just what I prefer but I don’t think open carry makes you a target.

Re: Neighbor Open Carrying [Re: SapperTitan] #7311608 10/11/18 09:18 PM
M
Mickey Moose Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Originally Posted By: SapperTitan

I hear this all the time but how many stories have you seen where a robber shot a guy open carrying then robbed a store or any scenario where an open carry person was targeted in a crime? I can’t think of one I’ve ever seen or heard of. I still conceal carry bc it’s just what I prefer but I don’t think open carry makes you a target.

SapperTitan, how about having your open carry pistol stolen from your hip?

* https://www.concealedcarry.com/training-2/open-carry-gun-owner-has-gun-stolen-from-behind/
* https://www.concealedcarry.com/training-2/open-carry-gun-stolen-carriers-hip/
* https://www.oregonlive.com/gresham/index.ssf/2014/10/gresham_man_robbed_of_pistol_a.html

These people were targeted. Sure they didn't get shot but that's beside the point. These three cases are not the only incidents of their kind either - just the first three in my search results. Targeting does happen.

Re: Neighbor Open Carrying [Re: Mickey Moose] #7311613 10/11/18 09:30 PM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S

* https://www.concealedcarry.com/training-2/open-carry-gun-owner-has-gun-stolen-from-behind/
* https://www.oregonlive.com/gresham/index.ssf/2014/10/gresham_man_robbed_of_pistol_a.html

These people were targeted. Sure they didn't get shot but that's beside the point. These three cases are not the only incidents of their kind either - just the first three in my search results. Targeting does happen.
I wasn’t thinking about having your weapon stolen off your hip when being targeted but good point. I think most people fear is that a robber will see their gun and shoot them first to take out a threat. IMO most people committing armed robbery don’t want to have to shoot anyone and they want a soft target. I’m that case if they see an open carry it may deter them from committing that crime atleast for a short time.

Re: Neighbor Open Carrying [Re: Mickey Moose] #7311645 10/11/18 10:22 PM
N
nyalubwe Offline
Tracker
Tracker
N
I just plain prefer carrying concealed..I feel that surprises are like gifts..its better to give than to receive...

Re: Neighbor Open Carrying [Re: Mickey Moose] #7311697 10/11/18 11:10 PM
S
scalebuster Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
I also think open carry deters crime. Why would anyone lazy enough to rob or try to harm innocent people pull a weapon if they KNEW there was someone there that would shoot back and would probably welcome the chance to kill a criminal?

I don’t open carry and have only had to pull a gun once on some crackheads that looked like they were getting ready to rob me in Alexandria La. They had asked me for money when I checked into a motel and I told them to kick rocks. When I went to my room both came up on either side of me. I probably could have whipped both but I was sure they had weapons and were high. I was bigger than both put together. I pulled out the HI power from under the seat and told them to hit the road. The pistol stopped any violence and I told them if anything was wrong with my truck in the morning I’d find both of them and end their suffering. Luckily I never saw either one again. This was before concealed carry or open carry was legal. I’m sure if I’d had that pistol on my hip I would never of had to even speak to those two. I didn’t point it at either one because I decided a long time ago if I have to point a gun at someone I’m going to shoot them.

Re: Neighbor Open Carrying [Re: Mickey Moose] #7311732 10/11/18 11:44 PM
L
leswad Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
L

A concealed backup would be beneficial in this situation slinger

[Linked Image]

FJB
Re: Neighbor Open Carrying [Re: leswad] #7312985 10/13/18 01:30 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Originally Posted By: leswad

A concealed backup would be beneficial in this situation slinger

Use a good "active" retention holster

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Re: Neighbor Open Carrying [Re: Western] #7313009 10/13/18 01:54 PM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Quote:
Use a good "active" retention holster

Yep and that's exactly what I do. I open carry daily, I prefer the old school leather with a thumb strap. Something else I do that just came naturally is to make sure the pistol rides high and forward, this gives the added bonus of having my forearm over the top of the pistol. I'm not going to get in the debate about it making a person a target, there's been no evidence of that other than a few carrying in poorly designed holsters. I know of no one who's been shot simply because they were carrying openly.

Yes! A Weatherby does kill them deader.
Re: Neighbor Open Carrying [Re: Mickey Moose] #7313035 10/13/18 02:12 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Yes sir, a level 2, or 3 and practice until it becomes no thought.

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide