Print Thread
Hog shot AT and missed - how far does he run? #7301938 10/01/18 01:17 AM
T
tacotime Online Content OP
Pro Tracker
OP Online Content
Pro Tracker
T
Lone hog, medium sized, maybe 100 lbs, shot at and missed, ran into woods in an area not heavily hunted... how far does he run?

And what does he do when he stops?

Last edited by tacotime; 10/01/18 01:20 AM.

When in doubt, take the .45-70
Re: Hog shot AT and missed - how far does he run? [Re: tacotime] #7301944 10/01/18 01:25 AM
S
SapperTitan Online Content
Taking Requests
Online Content
Taking Requests
S
He runs till he finds a spot that he feels comfortable

Re: Hog shot AT and missed - how far does he run? [Re: tacotime] #7301954 10/01/18 01:34 AM
R
RattlesnakeDan Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
They usually do not run far unless pursued. I do a lot of spot and stalk in the creek bottoms, after a shot I keep looking around and moving very slowly, often getting more shots. Or I will go to where I think they are headed and quite often they are back to feeding after a little while.

Just like Jesus, sometimes you gotta kill some hogs.
Lone Star Mesquite . com
RattleSnake Dan's Shredding Service
Re: Hog shot AT and missed - how far does he run? [Re: tacotime] #7301995 10/01/18 02:47 AM
B
bigjoe8565 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
I’ve seen them run a few feet at a feeder to hundreds of yards in a wheat field.

Re: Hog shot AT and missed - how far does he run? [Re: RattlesnakeDan] #7302048 10/01/18 04:35 AM
C
crapicat Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: RattlesnakeDan
They usually do not run far unless pursued. I do a lot of spot and stalk in the creek bottoms, after a shot I keep looking around and moving very slowly, often getting more shots. Or I will go to where I think they are headed and quite often they are back to feeding after a little while.

Agree!

Re: Hog shot AT and missed - how far does he run? [Re: tacotime] #7302435 10/01/18 06:48 PM
Double Naught Spy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: tacotime
Lone hog, medium sized, maybe 100 lbs, shot at and missed, ran into woods in an area not heavily hunted... how far does he run?

And what does he do when he stops?

Has he been hunted before? Where is the nearest cover? Each hog is different and had different experiences and the same can be said for sounders.

Here is what I have seen happen. I have shot at a lone boar that I assume had never been hunted before that moved no farther than a few feet, looked around, and went back to rooting as I tried to deal with a stovepipe malfunction. He obviously did not understand any significance about the sounds he heard. On numerous occasions with a singular shot, I have seen hogs only move a short distance, 25-50 yards, before stopping. Most commonly, I see hogs that run to cover when shot at, cover being anywhere from a few yards to well over 100. Where they go after they get to cover is unknown. If you are shooting at a sounder and they have to run a long ways to cover, there is a decent chance one or two will stop and turn and try to assess the threat they face or maybe to see if all the others are coming (who knows?). Sometimes I have seen hogs that just run to the edge of the woods and stop.

Hogs seem less spooked by suppressed fire than by unsuppressed fire.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Hog shot AT and missed - how far does he run? [Re: tacotime] #7302500 10/01/18 08:25 PM
T
tacotime Online Content OP
Pro Tracker
OP Online Content
Pro Tracker
T
He didn't say if he had been hunted before but I suspect he has seen hunters and ranchers around from time to time and may have been shot at by them. He could have even been in a bunch I shot at about a month earlier. Cover was less than 40 yards away when he was seen by himself and he went there at full speed.

Last edited by tacotime; 10/01/18 08:28 PM.

When in doubt, take the .45-70
Re: Hog shot AT and missed - how far does he run? [Re: tacotime] #7302620 10/01/18 10:08 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Well, you don't know if the hog has been hunted before and you don't have a clue about this BEFORE you shoot at him and even then you may not know. It was a rhetorical question to make the point that hogs behave differently based on their experience.

Re: Hog shot AT and missed - how far does he run? [Re: Double Naught Spy] #7311317 10/11/18 03:50 PM
A
animator Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
A
Originally Posted By: Double Naught Spy
Well, you don't know if the hog has been hunted before and you don't have a clue about this BEFORE you shoot at him and even then you may not know. It was a rhetorical question to make the point that hogs behave differently based on their experience.

You mean you don't go up to them and ask them if they've been hunted before??

I can't tell you how far they've run where I hunt, but it's only a few yards from my feeder to thick brush/woods, and I've had them run to the woods, wait a bit, and then come right back. I've had them run when one of their buddies was shot unsuppressed, only to come back an hour later and get shot. I've shot them suppressed and had them come back a few hours later, and I've shot them suppressed and not seen them back at that feeder for several days. I've had a rifle malfunction and made all kinds of racket to clear the it, and they've come right back. I had one come to my feeder just this past weekend while we were out there building a stand, running a generator and making all kinds of noise. Feeder's only 70 yards away, and at least one came up and triggered my feeder light, and honestly, I think us getting quiet and starting to pay attention toward the direction of the feeder is what spooked it/them. Had we not paid it any attention whatsoever, I kinda feel like it/them would have stuck around longer.

Re: Hog shot AT and missed - how far does he run? [Re: animator] #7311431 10/11/18 06:07 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: animator
Originally Posted By: Double Naught Spy

You mean you don't go up to them and ask them if they've been hunted before??

Well, it sort of tips your hand if you ask them this question in advance of pulling the trigger.

Re: Hog shot AT and missed - how far does he run? [Re: SapperTitan] #7311456 10/11/18 06:30 PM
H
HansETX Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
H
Originally Posted By: SapperTitan
He runs till he finds a spot that he feels comfortable

I agree

HansETX on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/hansetx
"The Late Night Vision Show" Podcast | All Things Night Vision- Available on iTunes, Google Play, iHeart Radio, YouTube
https://www.thelatenightvisionshow.com
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide