Forums46
Topics538,034
Posts9,732,182
Members87,055
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Has Hunting Become a Rich Man’s Game? [Re: scalebuster] #7299040 09/27/18 02:51 PM
D
DeleteThisAccount Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D
Originally Posted By: scalebuster
However for the average man living in a metro area hunting is a rich man’s game.

I guess I may be confused as to how people are defining "rich".

Keep in mind that I have NOT hunted public lands in Texas in over 15 years (but I will be this year). I enjoy hunting in places like Alaska where it's more you vs. the wild and the chances of coming across other hunters in the bush are as close to 0 as it gets (well, at least where I hunt).

Now on to the topic: I live in Houston, the largest metro area in Texas and while I will wholeheartedly agree that public hunting options are limited in Texas, there are still plenty of public lands to hunt. Certainly, you will need to travel at least an hour away (but it takes me 2 hours to drive down town in morning traffic, so driving an hour AWAY from Houston is a light drive). An hour away is Sam Houston - that is almost 163,000 acres. If you start looking at a two hour drive range, you got many more options: The Alabama Creek WMA portion of Davy Crockett is almost 15,000 acres (and there are another dozen or so areas within a 2 hour range).

Is public hunting limited? ABOSLUTELY. But it does exist and it's cheap to hunt.

So let's see what cost we are looking at for a new hunter:

Hunters Ed Course: Online NRA class qualifies and is FREE - but you do have to pay the $5 state fee after you finish it.
Hunting License (Resident): $25
Annual Public Hunting Permit (For Public Lands): $48

So you are all set to hunt public lands in Texas for a total of: $78

Now in the LARGEST metro area in TX, getting up to the largest public hunting area (Sam Houston) is about 40 miles (80 round trip). To keep it simple, we'll call gas $3/gallon and say you are driving a gas hog up to Sam Houston that only gets 15 miles/gallon. Roundtrip hunting trip will burn about 5 1/2 gallons of gas, for a whopping total of: $16.50

So a brand new hunter who has to get his training/licensing in place will pay a total of $94.5 to go hunt 163,000 acres of Sam Houston. And after that first hunt, they'll be paying a total of $16.50 every day they hunt it afterwards.

I don't really know anyone who calls a man with $100 a rich man.

Sure, if you want to go hunting for a day and have the best odds of coming home with a trophy buck - you can lease someone's private land and that can be expensive. But preferring the expensive options over the cheap options, doesn't make hunting a rich man's game.

Re: Has Hunting Become a Rich Man’s Game? [Re: DeleteThisAccount] #7299042 09/27/18 02:54 PM
D
ducknbass Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted By: Binary
However for the average man living in a metro area hunting is a rich man’s game.

Keep in mind that I have NOT hunted public lands in Texas in over 15 years (but I will be this year). I enjoy hunting in places like Alaska where it's more you vs. the wild and the chances of coming across other hunters in the bush are as close to 0 as it gets (well, at least where I hunt).

Now on to the topic: I live in Houston, the largest metro area in Texas and while I will wholeheartedly agree that public hunting options are limited in Texas, there are still plenty of public lands to hunt. Certainly, you will need to travel at least an hour away (but it takes me 2 hours to drive down town in morning traffic, so driving an hour AWAY from Houston is a light drive). An hour away is Sam Houston - that is almost 163,000 acres. If you start looking at a two hour drive range, you got many more options: The Alabama Creek WMA portion of Davy Crockett is almost 15,000 acres (and there are another dozen or so areas within a 2 hour range).

Is public hunting limited? ABOSLUTELY. But it does exist and it's cheap to hunt.

Hunters Ed Course: Online NRA class qualifies and is FREE - but you do have to pay the $5 state fee after you finish it.

Now in the LARGEST metro area in TX, getting up to the largest public hunting area (Sam Houston) is about 40 miles (80 round trip). To keep it simple, we'll call gas $3/gallon and say you are driving a gas hog up to Sam Houston that only gets 15 miles/gallon. Roundtrip hunting trip will burn about 5 1/2 gallons of gas, for a whopping total of: $16.50

So a brand new hunter who has to get his training/licensing in place will pay a total of $94.5 to go hunt 163,000 acres of Sam Houston. And after that first hunt, they'll be paying a total of $16.50 every day they hunt it afterwards.

Sure, if you want to go hunting for a day and have the best odds of coming home with a trophy buck - you can lease someone's private land and that can be expensive. But preferring the expensive options over the cheap options, doesn't make hunting a rich man's game.

flehan

Re: Has Hunting Become a Rich Man’s Game? [Re: DeleteThisAccount] #7299105 09/27/18 04:12 PM
S
swampthang Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: Binary

Spot on,good post.And the exact same thing applies to folks living in the DFW,Austin and San Antonio areas.

Re: Has Hunting Become a Rich Man’s Game? [Re: jeh7mmmag] #7299171 09/27/18 05:30 PM
A
AdanV Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
A
Reading these posts, it pretty relates to what I said earlier:
You can either pay a little money to do the hunting yourself, or pay lots of money to have someone do most of the hunting for you.

I can go pay an owner $400 to shoot a hog, that were scouted with his/her game cameras, that were baited with his/her feeder, while I'm sitting in his/her blind.

Or I can just go to Somerville or Sam Houston and shoot one myself for free.

God Bless Texas
texas

Arsenal:
Savage Axis II - 30-06
Stoeger P350 - 12 Gauge
Diamond Edge SB-1 - Compound Bow
Re: Has Hunting Become a Rich Man’s Game? [Re: AdanV] #7299244 09/27/18 06:45 PM
D
DeleteThisAccount Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D
Originally Posted By: AdanV
You can either pay a little money to do the hunting yourself, or pay lots of money to have someone do most of the hunting for you.

I can go pay an owner $400 to shoot a hog, that were scouted with his/her game cameras, that were baited with his/her feeder, while I'm sitting in his/her blind.

That's what it comes down to.

Personally, I've never baited, never used game cameras, tree stands or hunting blinds (and don't care to have people do it for me). I'm sure quite a few people are going to want to bash me on this one but I've always said if you are sitting in a tree stand or hunting blind - you aren't hunting, you're waiting LOL No fun in that to me. I like to get out there and stalk my prey. Scout the signs and track what you want to kill - that's hunting to me. Earn it.

Last edited by Binary; 09/27/18 06:53 PM.
Re: Has Hunting Become a Rich Man’s Game? [Re: jeh7mmmag] #7299990 09/28/18 03:28 PM
W
Wilhunt Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
W
he gist of the Texas Monthly article was that due to the high cost of hunting, in time there will be fewer hunters.

Re: Has Hunting Become a Rich Man’s Game? [Re: AdanV] #7300056 09/28/18 04:58 PM
1860.colt Offline
emoji colt.45
emoji colt.45
Originally Posted By: AdanV
Reading these posts, it pretty relates to what I said earlier:

cheers twas a Blessing when the OSBWMA opened ta public hunting.
$200.00 lease could fit inta budget, twas a family outing, camping, & chance ta do some grillen & chillen.
cheers interesting thread.
flag

i'm postaddic
Re: Has Hunting Become a Rich Man’s Game? [Re: jeh7mmmag] #7300088 09/28/18 05:44 PM
O
oldstyle244 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
O
It all depends. My lease is middle of the road in costs, I have an old rebuilt modest camper, a decent 4 wheeler (paid off now), and last year I bought a blind (built ones previous to that) and 2 home made feeders. Everything I acquired I bought/built over time.

I've had guys come join my lease and immediately go buy a nice camper, ranger, nice blind; etc Literally drop 20,000-30,000 year one. Or I have had guys who want to get into the hobby that think that need to buy all that stuff year one so they get the impression it is a rich man's hobby.

Re: Has Hunting Become a Rich Man’s Game? [Re: oldstyle244] #7300265 09/28/18 09:44 PM
1860.colt Offline
emoji colt.45
emoji colt.45
Originally Posted By: oldstyle244
It all depends. My lease is middle of the road in costs, I have an old rebuilt modest camper, a decent 4 wheeler (paid off now), and last year I bought a blind (built ones previous to that) and 2 home made feeders. Everything I acquired I bought/built over time.

I've had guys come join my lease and immediately go buy a nice camper, ranger, nice blind; etc Literally drop 20,000-30,000 year one. Or I have had guys who want to get into the hobby that think that need to buy all that stuff year one so they get the impression it is a rich man's hobby.

rofl in 83 only deer rifle had twas me ol friend old Kentucky, from d 70's, peep ya, i gots names for some of me guns. The ol cap & ball me & me pard from our slinger fast draw days usdta deer hunt with. Back then only had 3 days for buck only in Mn. Shotgun or muzzleloader, scratch thinken before in-lines, very few muzzleloaders back then.
83 had place ta hunt, Smith Co was buck only, couldn't get doe tag, not enough deer.
First lease, it had 24-7-365 hog hunts, 1,100acres, rufly 10-12hunters at $200.00 year round lease, it was afordable, compaired ta other leases, only reason got on lease. Low-income, $200.00 can buy lots of meat. Climb tree for a stand. Started with jungle hammack ta sleep in.
Wife, wanted ta come ta lease, old trailer was their, slept few times whin rained. Big ol rats, she found small shasta camper, we did the tent camping at parks, so camper was ivestment for family outing.
Found old trails, oaks, droppings, rubs scraps, creek crossings, ol school hunting vs excecative hunts. Cossy blind, food plots, sit & wait. Did build box stand, food plots, corn feeders on leases.
Learned real quick, the gotta pay ta play tricks. Avoided them. So

Originally Posted By: ducknbass
Thfs best victim.

My posts usualy been for lower-income workers, hog hunts WMA do it your-self hunts.

People wanna spend big bucks for few #'s of meat, cheers wasn't how i was raised, tip me cowboyhat ta me wife, she reminds me of d song: Second hand Rose, she didnt spend money foolishly, & tried ta pass it on,

back ya, i think it has.just my 2cents confused2 every one has a right ta thar own opinion, like the ol saying goes, rofl opinions are like, ____, i like me chilly with beens.

Pappy, tell me bout the good ol day's. When hunten twas the price of Gov. food stamps.

How many can remember them days.
flag

i'm postaddic
Re: Has Hunting Become a Rich Man’s Game? [Re: jeh7mmmag] #7381149 12/19/18 12:18 PM
R
ROCKMAN57 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
R
Easy answer here.My dad and uncles always had plenty of money to hunt west texas leases when I was growing up.I believe I am in a better paying job level than they were then and I really can't afford 2 - 10 thousand dollars a year to hunt the same area.Simple math to me.But I have learned to enjpy hunting the forrest and lower cost east texas leases.

Keep your powder dry,the wind in your face and watch your backtrail.
Re: Has Hunting Become a Rich Man’s Game? [Re: jeh7mmmag] #7382490 12/20/18 05:48 PM
E
Erny Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
E
Trophy hunting always has been a rich mans game and always will be.

Last edited by Erny; 12/20/18 07:40 PM.
Re: Has Hunting Become a Rich Man’s Game? [Re: jeh7mmmag] #7382949 12/21/18 02:02 AM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Hunting isn’t a rich man’s sport. The statement that it is, is simply a projection/excuse for being lazy and spoiled.

If you can’t find a scarifice to afford you an opportunity to get to hunt, you just don’t want to hunt bad enough, which is fine, just don’t project about it not being as high as other things on your propriety list.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Has Hunting Become a Rich Man’s Game? [Re: BOBO the Clown] #7382985 12/21/18 02:24 AM
T
TXSIGNGUY Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown
Hunting isn’t a rich man’s sport. The statement that it is, is simply a projection/excuse for being lazy and spoiled.

If you can’t find a scarifice to afford you an opportunity to get to hunt, you just don’t want to hunt bad enough, which is fine, just don’t project about it not being as high as other things on your propriety list.

Well said and I'm sure more than just me agree!

Re: Has Hunting Become a Rich Man’s Game? [Re: TXSIGNGUY] #7383094 12/21/18 03:51 AM
D
ducknbass Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted by TXSIGNGUY

Well said and I'm sure more than just me agree!

Here here

Re: Has Hunting Become a Rich Man’s Game? [Re: ducknbass] #7384067 12/22/18 03:33 AM
1860.colt Offline
emoji colt.45
emoji colt.45

rofl say's the Rich man who sits in his box stand, waiting...
Not spending thousands of $$$ for a few #'s of meat for grillen & chillen dosnt make a person lasy & spoiled, No spending thousands of $$$ for a lease tis NOT a priority. Did the execative hunts, sitting in box stand, waiting over baited areas, twas a Blessing when a WMA opened up just down the road. Seen the Rich mans games played... Spend time & money only ta get out bid... Hunting twas family outings, twas how raised in Minnesota & when leased, kept it ta under a buck a day.

flag

Last edited by colt.45; 12/22/18 03:57 AM.

i'm postaddic
Re: Has Hunting Become a Rich Man’s Game? [Re: jeh7mmmag] #7384509 12/22/18 07:27 PM
B
Blank Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
The part that really makes it expensive is mounting everything you shoot!! Taxidermy costs have gone through the roof.

Beer and whiskey, 'cause you can't drink bacon!!
Re: Has Hunting Become a Rich Man’s Game? [Re: jeh7mmmag] #7384609 12/22/18 10:00 PM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Hunting in todays dollars are actually not much different than hunting in 1980 dollars. I looked at an old price list we used in 1980. Axis Bucks were $750. In todays dollars that is $2231 Just about the same.

Re: Has Hunting Become a Rich Man’s Game? [Re: don k] #7385285 12/23/18 07:59 PM
1860.colt Offline
emoji colt.45
emoji colt.45
Originally Posted by don k
Hunting in todays dollars are actually not much different than hunting in 1980 dollars. I looked at an old price list we used in 1980. Axis Bucks were $750. In todays dollars that is $2231 Just about the same.

scratch me grammer not the best Don... 80's minimum wage vs price of hamburger... 2018 minimum wage vs price of steak...
flag

i'm postaddic
Re: Has Hunting Become a Rich Man’s Game? [Re: 1860.colt] #7385352 12/23/18 09:30 PM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted by colt.45

scratch me grammer not the best Don... 80's minimum wage vs price of hamburger... 2018 minimum wage vs price of steak...
flag

Actually you have that backwards. 1980's ribeye vs 2018 hamburger.

Re: Has Hunting Become a Rich Man’s Game? [Re: don k] #7385413 12/23/18 11:20 PM
T
TXSIGNGUY Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T

flag

up

Re: Has Hunting Become a Rich Man’s Game? [Re: ducknbass] #7385419 12/23/18 11:35 PM
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by ducknbass
Nope it has not. Some people find any reason not to do something. Others find a way to do anything. It's the same mentality you'll find in Dems blame the "rich man".

Well put, way back in September.

(Kristen Wiig slays me.) rofl

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Has Hunting Become a Rich Man’s Game? [Re: TXSIGNGUY] #7385674 12/24/18 11:27 AM
1860.colt Offline
emoji colt.45
emoji colt.45
Originally Posted by TXSIGNGUY

flag

up

2cents in 1980 was making ruffly $2.50 an hour couldnt afford a steak, 2018 think minimum wage roughly $7.45 or liittle more, price of steak roughly $3.00...
flag

i'm postaddic
Re: Has Hunting Become a Rich Man’s Game? [Re: ducknbass] #7386692 12/25/18 10:13 PM
1860.colt Offline
emoji colt.45
emoji colt.45
Nope it has not. Some people find any reason not to do something. Others find a way to do anything. It's the same mentality you'll find in Dems blame the "rich man".

rofl as pappy once said:
in dis day & age tis tough seperating the bs from d rest of d crap

flag

Thfs best victim.

actualy seen the games being played on leases b4 got on texasHF.... Just look at your so called hog problem... Twas a Blessing wfhen a WMA opened up just down the road.... " As pappy say's: its not an execative hunt were ya bait & wait... "

flag

i'm postaddic
Re: Has Hunting Become a Rich Man’s Game? [Re: jeh7mmmag] #7386713 12/25/18 11:07 PM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Colt you just won't give up. Hunting in real dollars is not any more expensive than in quite a few years. People piss off more money on eating out, going to movies, smoking or any other of the hundreds of vices that humans have than hunting. If you enjoy, it hunt. If you want to piss and moan stay at home.

Re: Has Hunting Become a Rich Man’s Game? [Re: don k] #7386792 12/26/18 01:34 AM
1860.colt Offline
emoji colt.45
emoji colt.45
Colt you just won't give up. Hunting in real dollars is not any more expensive than in quite a few years. People piss off more money on eating out, going to movies, smoking or any other of the hundreds of vices that humans have than hunting. If you enjoy, it hunt. If you want to piss and moan stay at home.

Some hunters can afford ta piss off more money than others, don't look down upon those who can"t... i do enjoy hunting, been out several times this year, been grillen & chillen ... Merry Christmas Don ...
flag

i'm postaddic
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide