Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: When Hogs Attack [Re: Palehorse] #7291392 09/19/18 04:43 PM
S
Schpanky Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
...never been charged...but it seems I do have a habit of getting in the way now & then...

Re: When Hogs Attack [Re: ChadTRG42] #7291398 09/19/18 04:45 PM
C
Choctaw Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42
Originally Posted By: Choctaw
Wait, why would you let them out of a trap?

We had some interesting folks on a lease once. They liked trapping the hogs, only to let them out so they would run and we could shoot them running off. I will say, it was fun, but when the big one turns South on a North facing group of shooters to show his displeasure, it gets Western real quick!

They bear a grudge when trapped, that's for sure. In high school we used to trap pigs, feed them out a few weeks and then take them to the sale. The first week or so they were pretty angry critters (chewing on the fence panels and other bad behavior) but would settle down a bit after a while. Shooting pig skeet would be fun.

Re: When Hogs Attack [Re: Palehorse] #7291409 09/19/18 04:59 PM
Double Naught Spy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
That was a pretty insanely stupid article. I really liked the graphic says that most hunters don't realize hogs are as big as bears, showing a picture of an "average" 300 lb black bear for scale when compared to a 400 lb hog, which much larger than your "average" hog. Oddly, I thought, had they put up a picture of a 400 lb black bear next to a more average 180 lb hog, the comparison would seem much different.

As far as the recent study, recent apparently means that is was presented in 2013. Here is the actual study.
https://digitalcommons.unl.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1150&context=icwdm_wdmconfproc

I am not really sure what conclusions to draw from the article. It seems to parallel human/wild animal relations in general (human population expanding, habitat loss). There seems to be an upsurge in bear attacks, coyote attacks, mountain lion attacks, gator attacks, deer attacks, etc. I always like it when it is pointed out that the attacks were "unprovoked" as nature is not supposed to be nature unless you are mean to it. Many such "unprovoked" attacks still involve ignorance, stupidity, and/or a total lack of situational awareness and preparedness. All such attacks are still VERY minimal in number in the grand scheme. Given the statistics, you are more likely to be attacked as well as more likely to be killed by a domestic dog than you are by any of the above predators, deer, or hogs.

Originally Posted by Texas buckeye
I hear it all the time when I talk about hogs and/or hog hunting...people think they are deadly animals that will slice your legs with their razor sharp tusks.

I hate the "razor sharp teeth" myth claimed for hogs and a variety of other animals. The tusks are duller than any knife I would want to use to try to butcher a hog. If you put enough force behind a strong enough object, it will "cut" through other materials, but that doesn't mean it is razor sharp.

Originally Posted by dkershen
Originally Posted by stxranchman
Most "charges" occur when the person happens to be on the trail the hog wanted to take as an escape route.

Agreed. Killed hundreds of pigs and only happened once to me. But it'll still pucker your butt when it happens.

Yeah, it will. I have been charged and I have been run toward. I have had my position overrun by hogs on several occasions. There is definitely a difference, particularly when the animal makes changes in course to come toward you, or the animal can be seen going through the assessment and decision making process of dealing with a threat as in this video. FYI, NSWF...Language...

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: When Hogs Attack [Re: ChadTRG42] #7291438 09/19/18 05:28 PM
T
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42
Originally Posted By: Choctaw
Wait, why would you let them out of a trap?

We had some interesting folks on a lease once. They liked trapping the hogs, only to let them out so they would run and we could shoot them running off. I will say, it was fun, but when the big one turns South on a North facing group of shooters to show his displeasure, it gets Western real quick!

It's skeet shooting without clay's. Skeet normally wins depending on the cover.

Re: When Hogs Attack [Re: Palehorse] #7291489 09/19/18 06:07 PM
8pointdrop Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I’ve chased down piglets and caught them while momma ran off listening to them squeal. Caught them with dogs, trapped them and shot them every way you can. Pulling some from a trap one night I got bit and cut pretty bad by a 120lb boar. Like any animal they can be dangerous in the right situation, but not the blood thirsty monsters the media likes to portray. That’s just the over sensitive/over react society that we live in now.

Remember that hog eradication show with the old cowboy that ran the operation with his kids? He always acted like they were devil creatures. “They’ll chase down yer calves and other livestock and just eat em down to the bone, and fawns hogs will hunt down every fawn ya got and rip em to pieces.” roflmao I know they are omnivorous but come on man they aren’t wolves.

Re: When Hogs Attack [Re: Palehorse] #7291518 09/19/18 06:38 PM
B
BayouGuy Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
B
Hogs are not dangerous....until they decide to be. It's rare, but it happens.

Here's the story from one of my acquaintances.

http://www.louisianasportsman.com/details.php?id=6200

If you can't laugh at yourself, give me a call. I'll gladly laugh at you.

"I keep trying to see Nancy Pelosi's and Chuck Schumer's point of view,
but I can't seem to get my head that far up my [censored]." Senator John Kennedy, Louisiana
Re: When Hogs Attack [Re: Palehorse] #7291529 09/19/18 06:57 PM
S
Smokey Bear Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
I'm a forester in east texas. I spend more time in the woods, unarmed, without worry, around and among wild hogs than most. They are not man aggressive. They are frightened of man and once they identify what you are, they run. They will defend themselves if wounded and or cornered without an escape, or ran to the point of exhaustion. Their eyesight is very poor. That poor eyesight is often misinterpreted as a lack of fear. They may come closer trying to determine what you are. If you want to test it, circle around them till you get upwind and watch what happens.

Smokey Bear---Lone Star State.
Re: When Hogs Attack [Re: stxranchman] #7291533 09/19/18 07:03 PM
C
ccoker Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: stxranchman
Most "charges" occur when the person happens to be on the trail the hog wanted to take as an escape route.

yep

Re: When Hogs Attack [Re: Palehorse] #7291543 09/19/18 07:10 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Q

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: When Hogs Attack [Re: Palehorse] #7291575 09/19/18 07:35 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
I did see on live leak video where a boar in Pakistan chewed a guys arm off and ran off with the guys arm in its mouth

Never did explain how he got in that situation though.

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: When Hogs Attack [Re: Palehorse] #7291593 09/19/18 07:56 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
City boys think they are ferocious beasts. Country boys chuckle at city boys.

Anything will be POed if you wound it or back it into a corner. So that doesn’t count.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: When Hogs Attack [Re: Palehorse] #7291600 09/19/18 08:02 PM
P
Palehorse Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
P

Re: When Hogs Attack [Re: Palehorse] #7291621 09/19/18 08:19 PM
C
Choctaw Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted by Palehorse

Prayers up for the hunter. I hope he’s okay. roflmao

Re: When Hogs Attack [Re: Palehorse] #7291662 09/19/18 09:09 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: Smokey Bear
Their eyesight is very poor.

This is something of a myth. Hogs have eyesight that isn't too far off from humans in the zone where their vision overlaps (~50 degrees of frontal field of view). Beyond that, they have reasonably good peripheral vision like other similar animals, which accounts for more of their vision, but is undoubtedly better than a human's peripheral vision. They are red-green colorblind like many other animals, but see farther into the UV spectrum than do humans. They also see at night better than humans.

If you are familiar with hog calling, Glenn Guess is a big name in that area. Glenn really turned me on to the notion that hogs see well. He raises hogs and experiments with them, harvest sounds from them, etc.

I have watched hogs run 20-30 mph through the woods at NIGHT after being shot at and NOT run into trees. Try that with a human. The hogs are not smelling the trees to avoid them. There is no indication that they use echolocation either.

I am convinced people believe this popular myth because of hog behavior. They feel that if they can approach hogs, that hogs must be blind, otherwise they would run away, right?. However, physical blindness is not the issue.

Part of the issue is their low FOV, low eyes and head position relative to higher grass.

Part of the issue is behavioral, hogs having little to fear in terms of predators anymore...other than humans and they have to learn that.

Another part of the issue is what is called inattentional blindness. Just because something is in the field of view of the animal does not mean it will be noticed so long as the animal's attention is on something specific. It has been studied in humans and there has been some related testing in animals.
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-n...dness-17339778/ The point here is that if you have a hog focused on seeing kernels of corn on the ground, rooting tubers, etc., it is more apt to miss you walking up on it than if it is just walking through a field.

It is important to keep in mind that their peripheral vision is not nearly as good as their binocular vision, but that their binocular vision is very good. If you can approach a hog from the back side, its ability to see you will be greatly diminished. Approaching the hog laterally is less ideal, but that this the location from which most hunters like to shoot. Probably the least idea direction to approach from is the front.

Re: When Hogs Attack [Re: Palehorse] #7291931 09/20/18 02:07 AM
Gringocazador Offline
Tracker
Tracker
First off, the average black bear is not three hundred pounds. I shot a book 15 year old black bear in Alaska that might have weighed 250and he was big.

There ain’t no killer pigs. If you die of a heart attack in the brush, yeah they might eat ya after your dead, but this killer hog crap is what it is, crap.

With all that said,yeah you crawl in a trap with boar hog and poke him with a stick you got problems. Go figure.

Thanks, Billy
Re: When Hogs Attack [Re: Palehorse] #7296575 09/25/18 02:09 AM
C
crapicat Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: Palehorse
An interesting article on feral hogs attacking people.

https://fishgame.com/2016/10/profile-of-a-killer-hog-by-chester-moore/

Very interesting article...after reading comments in this section making light of the situation, I thought I would share some personal experiences. In college, I was invited out to west Texas on a mule deer hunt. Being a “ seasoned” east Texas hunter toting a semi auto -06, I took up the offer. While chasing a huge mule deer, with several other folks, we split up and I took the dry wash bed while the others circled around for a soft push in my direction. Abruptly, I heard a sound resembling a small locomotive headed my way. A herd of peccary were stampeding straight towards me. I jumped behind a large boulder, about 2 feet high, pulled out an extra clip from my pocket, and endured the onslaught. It was over, seemingly in an instant. Seven peccaries lay dead within feet of the rock, one had mostly ripped a leg off my trousers and was laying behind my feet, and the rest were gone just as fast as they came. A harrowing/exciting encounter as any African encounter one could imagine, short of being mauled by one of the big five.

A decade ago, I took a New Mexico Elk guide on a hog hunt, on a friend’s ranch, down in the Navasota river bottoms. The area was thick with undergrowth with an opening about 1/2 mile from the road. After an hour, a sounder of hogs showed up just before sundown. We opened fire, and after the dust settled, several were down and a couple wounded hogs had hit the thickets. I told my Elk hunter guide to “ prepare for the worst” as we headed into the chest high undergrowth after the wounded hogs. He had one of my semi rifles casually slung over his shoulder and talking loud and proud, when I heard the sow bellow in that low guttural tone as a hog he’ll bent on destruction. I turned in the general direction of the sound, to see the chest high undergrowth headed directly towards us. Then I saw her, full grown, hair bristled and upright from her ears to her tail, and I started unloading my .45 double eagle into her head. Seven shots later she lay dead, the Elk guides boots were underneath her body, he was pinned to the ground, and he couldn’t move, rifle still slung over his shoulder, and crying like a baby. We left the other wounded hog to the coyotes.

Now, while I prefer to hunt hogs on the ground by walking into their bedroom or living room, seldom does it result in a direct charge, although I have on numerous other occasions, been charged. I have been fortunate to escape unscathed, so far, mostly because I am prepared, aware of my surroundings, and very proficient with my weapons, and because I carry enough gun to deal instant death. However, I would add a word of caution...do not enter the hogs domain with the cavalier attitude of the Elk Guide, or you could very well be a victim of your own attitude. Hope this sheds a little light on the subject of hog hunting, and the danger within. Hogs truly are the Rhino of the US.

Re: When Hogs Attack [Re: Palehorse] #7296751 09/25/18 11:23 AM
R
RattlesnakeDan Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
R
As a trapper I have been charged , attacked and had my hand busted and tore up from a sow that shook my hand like a gator. I punched her in the head until she let go. I have caught, hog tied and caged many many wild hogs working alone, they will all attack you even if they are 2 pounds, every one of them absolutely will attack you but...in an open environment they would choose to escape first of course. I have been charged more than once by wounded hogs and it is pretty fun and probably comical to watch.

Just like Jesus, sometimes you gotta kill some hogs.
Lone Star Mesquite . com
RattleSnake Dan's Shredding Service
Re: When Hogs Attack [Re: crapicat] #7298937 09/27/18 01:03 PM
C
Colorado1 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
C
Originally Posted By: crapicat

However, I would add a word of caution...do not enter the hogs domain with the cavalier attitude of the Elk Guide, or you could very well be a victim of your own attitude. Hope this sheds a little light on the subject of hog hunting, and the danger within. Hogs truly are the Rhino of the US.

WOW!!! Rhino's are typically in excess of 5,000 pounds but yeah, I guess (in a stretch of the imagination) some folks could sort of make a comparison between the two.

It's pretty much like anything else. If you are screwing around in an animal's territory and/or shooting, trapping, bothering that animal in any way, expect him/her to not act docile in return. Especially if you don't have a hero gun pro watching your back.

Re: When Hogs Attack [Re: crapicat] #7298971 09/27/18 01:33 PM
C
Choctaw Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted By: crapicat

Hogs truly are the Rhino of the US.

roflmao

Re: When Hogs Attack [Re: Palehorse] #7299075 09/27/18 03:34 PM
J
Jimbo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
I've been around both domesticated and feral hogs most of my life, and have taken enough hogs to somewhat know how they react to humans in the woods.
I had one large wounded sow with piglets turn toward me and head straight into my direction, when there was plenty of room for her to head in another.
I had no fear, but did drop her with a third shot from my Winchester 94 30-30 at about 30 yards distance as she closed the distance on me.
Was it a charge?....Don't know, but I was getting ready to side step her if I had missed with that last cartridge I had in the gun.
Made me think as I've never had it happen before or since, but it stays at the back of my mind when I'm out there playing with the pigs.

Thursday at 12:45 PM
Once i learned that i didn't "NEED" to kill something, and that if i did kill something all the fun stopped and work began, i was a much better hunter.
Re: When Hogs Attack [Re: Double Naught Spy] #7300115 09/28/18 06:23 PM
S
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted By: Double Naught Spy
Originally Posted By: Smokey Bear
Their eyesight is very poor.

This is something of a myth. Hogs have eyesight that isn't too far off from humans in the zone where their vision overlaps (~50 degrees of frontal field of view). Beyond that, they have reasonably good peripheral vision like other similar animals, which accounts for more of their vision, but is undoubtedly better than a human's peripheral vision. They are red-green colorblind like many other animals, but see farther into the UV spectrum than do humans. They also see at night better than humans.

If you are familiar with hog calling, Glenn Guess is a big name in that area. Glenn really turned me on to the notion that hogs see well. He raises hogs and experiments with them, harvest sounds from them, etc.

I have watched hogs run 20-30 mph through the woods at NIGHT after being shot at and NOT run into trees. Try that with a human. The hogs are not smelling the trees to avoid them. There is no indication that they use echolocation either.

I am convinced people believe this popular myth because of hog behavior. They feel that if they can approach hogs, that hogs must be blind, otherwise they would run away, right?. However, physical blindness is not the issue.

Part of the issue is their low FOV, low eyes and head position relative to higher grass.

Part of the issue is behavioral, hogs having little to fear in terms of predators anymore...other than humans and they have to learn that.

Another part of the issue is what is called inattentional blindness. Just because something is in the field of view of the animal does not mean it will be noticed so long as the animal's attention is on something specific. It has been studied in humans and there has been some related testing in animals.
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-n...dness-17339778/ The point here is that if you have a hog focused on seeing kernels of corn on the ground, rooting tubers, etc., it is more apt to miss you walking up on it than if it is just walking through a field.

It is important to keep in mind that their peripheral vision is not nearly as good as their binocular vision, but that their binocular vision is very good. If you can approach a hog from the back side, its ability to see you will be greatly diminished. Approaching the hog laterally is less ideal, but that this the location from which most hunters like to shoot. Probably the least idea direction to approach from is the front.

Hogs are near sighted. They see just fine up close but their distance vision is very poor. From a lot of first hand experience, they can easily be approached to within shooting range, without much cover, as long as you respect their nose. That fact makes them quite popular to hunt, because they are easy to spot and stalk, compared to most big game animals.

Re: When Hogs Attack [Re: stxranchman] #7300131 09/28/18 06:53 PM
S
Stub Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: stxranchman

That was my one and only experience with a Pig in the woods coming at me, shot it with a 30-30 in the shoulder and I was standing in the only clear path out of the brush and that 120 lb sow came right at me, I did a squirrel on her and jumped up a tree laugh

Now I have been attacked by some sows in the city but thats a whole nutha story eeks333 bolt

texas flag

Re: When Hogs Attack [Re: Palehorse] #7300134 09/28/18 06:56 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
They can be approached easily within shooting range? So can deer, turkey, and coyotes. That don't make them near sighted.

What makes them popular to hunt is that they are abundant, good eating, and year 'round open season, LOL.

Re: When Hogs Attack [Re: Palehorse] #7300307 09/28/18 10:57 PM
G
guess Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
G
okay so I read the article obviously written by someone that has never hunted hogs and doesn't know squat about them. Not sure what the point was.

As far as attacking someone goes. Hogs that have become accustomed to people and don't consider them a threat can and are dangerous. The more snowflakes we get in this world the more this will become a problem. By that I mean they will feed them and make "pets" of free ranging feral hogs, thus removing the fear factor. The young are naturally fearful even when raised in captivity unless bottle raised, but as they mature and become dependent on humans feeding them most will gentle quickly.

We have killed thousands of hogs over the years, We have had several flee in our direction which made it appear to be a charge, it was not. We have had them actually charge us when calling them , which is the intent. When I'm calling I want to trigger aggression. We have had badly wounded or sick hogs charge us when cornered or provoked. I only know of one case where a hog viciously attacked a woman in Montague county tx. I was able to interview her husband, she was very tormented by the whole ordeal and wouldn't do the interview. She was not on her monthly cycle, and was not hunting or perusing the boar. He charged from a bedding area attacked her left and came back and attacked again. It was a horrible sight to see what he did to her. Now the only thing I could ever figure caused this was the fact that she had a dog with her. Why he blew past the dog and got her I'm not sure. It is very likely he had a hot sow near or was in some form or fashion sick. He stayed in that area and was dispatched. He appeared to be healthy. This is the only case I know of that I could verify.

Now for the eyesight controversy. Hogs have eyesight equivalent to humans. I've researched this with doctors and vets. if you take the time to read true veterinarian studies and eye studies. they are so similar in fact that hog eyes were used in human eye studies. The rods to cones are almost the same. They do see color but in a slightly different spectrum than most humans.
Here is the trick not all humans have the same eyesight. Not all have the same mental capacity. this all plays a role in what hogs see and how they choose to react. I'm in the process of putting together eyesight demonstrations now, but it may be a year or so before I'm finished.
I will say that our 12 year old boar can identify the difference between a man or a woman from over 100 yards regardless of wind direction. Don't underestimate a hogs eyesight..........

As far as the whole being able to stalk up on them being your only evidence. I can stalk to within easy bow range of some whitetails in the open, if they don't feel threatened. I think we can all agree there is not much wrong with a deer's eyes. Again not all deer have the exact same eyesight, not all have the mental capacity to process from eye to brain what they are seeing and not all have natural fear. Most yes ,but not all.

Animals are animals, they are not supernatural and even though some are incredibly smart others are incredibly dumb. All have individual personalities and variables that we can't can't begin to imagine that mold the way they react to human encounters. If they had the ability to be down right vengeful or the ability for true reasoning they would be running for political office as a liberal........oh wait.........just sayin'

check us out of facebook https://www.facebook.com/boarcaller/

sponsored by Convergent Hunting Solutions,Silent Legion, Alamo Precision Rifles,Hornady, StealthpodX, third coast thermal
Re: When Hogs Attack [Re: Double Naught Spy] #7300327 09/28/18 11:24 PM
S
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted By: Double Naught Spy
They can be approached easily within shooting range? So can deer, turkey, and coyotes. That don't make them near sighted.

What makes them popular to hunt is that they are abundant, good eating, and year 'round open season, LOL.

I can agree to disagree.

Last edited by Smokey Bear; 09/29/18 07:50 AM.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide