Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
How heavy is your pack? #7285795 09/13/18 05:55 PM
Ritter Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
For the last few of years I’ve been trying to shave the weight of what I have to carry in the mountains and think I’ve made some progress. I have replaced my pack, tent, sleeping bag, pad, stove, most of my clothing and a few other things and have cut almost 9#’s. Not including food, water, optics, what I wear or the bow/rifle I’m down to just a hair over 22 pounds for an early to mid season hunt including the pack to hike up the mountain. Food adds around 1.5 pounds per day and water depends on how available it will be.

I’m hoping to shave another pound or two in the future but lightweight, dependable gear is starting to get expensive.

So how much do you head up in the mountains with?

Last edited by Ritter; 09/13/18 06:00 PM. Reason: Spell checked
Re: How heavy is your pack? [Re: Ritter] #7286819 09/14/18 07:20 PM
F
Fitzwho Offline
Tracker
Tracker
F
Kind of like you, it depends on availability of water where I'm headed and how long I plan on staying back there. I have been leaning more towards day hunts lately, but more so because of the types of tags I have been drawing lately (3 pronghorn and 1 3rd rifle CO mule deer for this year). If I'm planning on packing in for a few days in the desert, my pack might weigh 50 pounds or so, with water/food/optics. My pack is a Mystery Ranch Cabinet (5.7lbs by itself). but when only carrying a kill kit, tripod, binos, day of food and water, its likely still close to 20lbs (15-20). I have a lighter tripod that I could get serious with but I like the stability of the larger one. My entire hammock setup is around 5lbs (hammock, straps, tarp, bug net, top/under quilts). I can shave 10oz if the weather is warm by changing out my top quilt and could save a bit more for ground camping if I picked up a lighter sleeping pad than what I normally run because I get to lose the under quilt and my hammock tarp doubles as a floorless shelter that weighs less that a pound.

Ultralight gear is definitely not getting any cheaper.

Permian_Skullworks on Instagram
Re: How heavy is your pack? [Re: Ritter] #7287268 09/15/18 05:07 AM
G
gusick Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
G
I have never weighed a pack, but I'll take a guess. My day pack is probably around 20 pounds. With camping gear and several days of food and water and/or filtration stuff, it'ts probably around 60-70 pounds. I think you would have to spend a lot of money and get really serious about weight to get much lighter than that.

Re: How heavy is your pack? [Re: Ritter] #7287468 09/15/18 04:32 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Years ago when I was younger, I bet my pack went 60#'s, now it averages around 25#, Only what I need, or possibly will need , no fills or extras. Food can add a bunch, so I pack high carb and some sugar snacks, couple of apples/oranges and save the the "meals" for camp, water now takes precedence and maybe one small gatorade, nothing better than crushed peanut butter crackers str8 from the packgrin

This is for day hunts in the Rockies, drop camp would be different but haven't done that in over 20 years.

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Re: How heavy is your pack? [Re: Ritter] #7287582 09/15/18 07:39 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: Ritter
For the last few of years I’ve been trying to shave the weight of what I have to carry in the mountains and think I’ve made some progress. I have replaced my pack, tent, sleeping bag, pad, stove, most of my clothing and a few other things and have cut almost 9#’s. Not including food, water, optics, what I wear or the bow/rifle I’m down to just a hair over 22 pounds for an early to mid season hunt including the pack to hike up the mountain. Food adds around 1.5 pounds per day and water depends on how available it will be.

I’m hoping to shave another pound or two in the future but lightweight, dependable gear is starting to get expensive.

So how much do you head up in the mountains with?

Chasing weight loss is expensive. Biggest weight gain or lose I’ve found is knowing where water is. 3L is roughly 8 lbs +- of water. Outside of that, tent, pack, steripen and sleeping bag are big weight cut items.

Five days food, tent, 2.5-3L water, but no weapon 30-39lbs depending on season. I can get it down low twenties but better be water up top, it’s going to be a cold night under 32degrees, and food snacks are minimal

I have cut weight to much and been overly uncomfortable on the mountain. Weight sucks but loose of it comes at a price. Sleeping pad is a perfect example

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: How heavy is your pack? [Re: Western] #7287629 09/15/18 08:51 PM
sig226fan (Rguns.com) Offline
duck & cover
duck & cover
In regards to gatorade, I carry some powder straws of gatorade or flavored water, and keep at least one water bottle to mix in. Recently though, I have found a product ya'll probably know, but it's new to me... it's a liquid called MIO, was originally Powerade's product. Various flavors, sure helps sterilized/filtered water, and even has a "coffee" flavor one now... very small, very light for the benefits

Re: How heavy is your pack? [Re: Ritter] #7287825 09/16/18 01:04 AM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Depending on length of trip 35-45lbs.

I have pretty much done all I can gear-wise to get light. Always have hunted where water available at least near camp. I don’t skimp on food and basic comfort items like sleeping pad.

Via instant coffee packets and the little flavored drink packets are wonderful.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide