Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Coyotes in NE Coleman County? #7246066 08/05/18 05:20 PM
JDP Ranch Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
Hey everyone,

Over the years, I've always hunted properties that had coyotes and dreamed of harvesting one. I recently purchased a 170 acre hunting property in North East Coleman County just slightly South West of Grosvenor. I've spent a couple weekends out there and haven't heard ANY coyotes. There are plenty of other game so not a big deal. Just a little bummed that I may never have the opportunity to harvest a coyote (especially since this is probably the only place I'll hunt moving forward).

I had a wildlife biologist come out and he said there aren't many coyotes in Coleman County - which kind of surprised me. I see what looks like coyote poop everywhere but I'm starting to think it's grey fox. I have seen several grey fox in person and on game cam.

Curious if anyone else is in my area and what their experience is?

Thanks!

Re: Coyotes in NE Coleman County? [Re: JDP Ranch] #7246074 08/05/18 05:37 PM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S
Shoot a hog tie him to the base of a tree and put a game cam on it and you will know pretty quickly if you have any coyotes. Also just because they do t live on your property doesn’t mean they aren’t living on surrounding properties and passing through yours regularly.

Re: Coyotes in NE Coleman County? [Re: JDP Ranch] #7246356 08/06/18 01:05 AM
Double Naught Spy Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
I find it hard to believe that any rural counties in Texas don't have many coyotes. Now the population may ebb and flow with the availability of resources, but I can't imagine that you don't have many in the county when the other counties around you have plenty.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Coyotes in NE Coleman County? [Re: JDP Ranch] #7246716 08/06/18 02:09 PM
JDP Ranch Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
Thanks guys. Makes me feel a bit better.

Coincidentally, we did leave a hog out a week ago and it completely disappeared. Didn't think to put a game cam next to it. Will try that next time and see what comes. There were a bunch of feathers in the area - can't imagine the buzzards devoured it and hauled it off somewhere else.

Re: Coyotes in NE Coleman County? [Re: JDP Ranch] #7248783 08/08/18 02:26 AM
D
DStroud Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D
First there are numerous areas of the state that have few if any coyotes. Areas where you find lots of sheep and goats will have had serious predator management for years. They usually have tons of grey fox in those areas though due to coyotes not pressuring them.
I hunt all over the state and while NE Coleman county is not heavily populated with coyotes they are plentiful enough you should be able to accomplish your goal. The population in that area is growing due government getting rid of Mohair subsidies so not as many goats being raised. The further north you go from there the more coyotes. Go south and west less.

"Anyone taking up handloading necessarily plays with unknown factors and takes chances. But so does anyone who drives a car,goes to a cocktail party,eats in a restaurant,or gets married."

Jack O'Connor 1963
Re: Coyotes in NE Coleman County? [Re: JDP Ranch] #7248888 08/08/18 06:41 AM
P
pigplinker Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
P
What DStroud said. I use to hunt in Coleman Co. west of Velra. The place we hunted for over 12 yrs didn't have any or very very few. The land owner had sheep and if anyone heard a yote the trapper was called in. I think in that 12 yrs I hunted the place I may have heard them 2-3 times total. I never saw one, but we would see lots of fox.

Re: Coyotes in NE Coleman County? [Re: pigplinker] #7264604 08/22/18 09:33 PM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: pigplinker
What DStroud said. I use to hunt in Coleman Co. west of Velra. The place we hunted for over 12 yrs didn't have any or very very few. The land owner had sheep and if anyone heard a yote the trapper was called in. I think in that 12 yrs I hunted the place I may have heard them 2-3 times total. I never saw one, but we would see lots of fox.
up

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Coyotes in NE Coleman County? [Re: JDP Ranch] #7270011 08/28/18 03:51 PM
C
Cslate Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
I grew up in Coleman County. Have lived a few different places since but it is still where my family owns a little land in the southern part of the county. I remember deer hunting it like 6 years ago and not even thinking about coyotes. Starting two years ago I don't know if I have sat on a deer stand and not heard them. Friday night i took my sister out for her very first varmint hunting trip and on the second stand after playing a pup distress sound we had coyotes yipping all around us. Had to be at least 5 different groups. From what I have been hearing they are getting thicker and thicker across the county dont know much about the northern part though, but i do know 2 different ranch owners in the northern part of the county that are having a hard time with coyotes. Chances are you have them or they are at least passing through. Set up game cameras on gut piles and any pigs you kill and you'll know pretty quick.

Re: Coyotes in NE Coleman County? [Re: JDP Ranch] #7270081 08/28/18 04:37 PM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S
If you have hogs offer up a swap. You get to go kill a coyote or two at their place and they get to come kill a couple hogs at your place. Win win.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide