Print Thread
Archery Exotic #7222207 07/12/18 02:18 AM
S
safdm44 Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
S
whats with this category? I didnt put in for it last year since they only offer a hunt which most know is not successful. Garner park for exotics? I was told first hand they had people come in and shoot them to get rid of them... kinda like Kerr WMA told us point blank on a hunt that they themselves spotlighted them at night and showed us the "bone yard"... what gives TWPD? one category to put in for? I want to build points but dont want to waste them on 0% chance. Anyone else heard differently or other info? I have 9 PP in that category.

Re: Archery Exotic [Re: safdm44] #7240813 07/31/18 04:36 PM
T
TexasATC Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
T
Been wondering the same thing. I'm a little confused as to how the success rate can be so low at GSP? I've been through there a few times and it seems like the Axis are everywhere.

Re: Archery Exotic [Re: safdm44] #7242977 08/02/18 04:22 PM
C
Coastalquacker Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
C
i wondered about that, too. i'm not a big bow hunter but would go if i thought the odds were good. Boys were drawn at Garner for an axis hunt and didn't see a thing except in the campsite and on the drive out near the office.

Re: Archery Exotic [Re: safdm44] #7254388 08/13/18 08:17 PM
D
DonPablo Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
I remember back when there were around a half dozen different options for archery exotic. I remember complaining about this (public draw opportunity decreasing for archers) back when I was involved with the LSBA. But most of them (like most archers) have access to private land and didn't feel like it was worth the energy.

Re: Archery Exotic [Re: DonPablo] #7254747 08/14/18 01:45 AM
S
sqiggy Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
Yep, and what happen to Devil's River. I drew that hunt a few years ago and had a blast. Missed a Auodad at 20 yds., then shot somekind of cross sheep at 32.

Re: Archery Exotic [Re: safdm44] #7256091 08/15/18 02:26 AM
W
wtjim Offline
Tracker
Tracker
W
If you've noticed most all hunt categories, locations, amount of actual hunt blocks and the amount of hunters for each block have shrunk dramatically over the years. GSP is no good because they developed a well deserved reputation for not caring about the hunt because the park makes too much money other ways that the hunt is considered a mandantory negative for staff. I know they have tried to reverse this the past few hunts but it doesn't help when government hunters are brought in to kill the exotics enmass...TPWD really put the screws to the native texan public Hunter when they went to the online system and offering limited hunting opportunities.

Re: Archery Exotic [Re: wtjim] #7256734 08/15/18 02:32 PM
H
Herbie Hancock Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Originally Posted By: wtjim
If you've noticed most all hunt categories, locations, amount of actual hunt blocks and the amount of hunters for each block have shrunk dramatically over the years. GSP is no good because they developed a well deserved reputation for not caring about the hunt because the park makes too much money other ways that the hunt is considered a mandantory negative for staff. I know they have tried to reverse this the past few hunts but it doesn't help when government hunters are brought in to kill the exotics enmass...TPWD really put the screws to the native texan public Hunter when they went to the online system and offering limited hunting opportunities.

That’s one thing I have noticed at GSP over the last 5 years is the decline of the axis. We go there at least twice a year and you don’t see them like you used to hanging around the entrance or in “new Garner”.

It takes beer to make thirst worthwhile - J. Fred Schmidt

The internet is an I.Q. Test, people post their scores in the comment section.
Re: Archery Exotic [Re: wtjim] #7259124 08/17/18 01:30 PM
B
bossbowman Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: sqiggy
Yep, and what happen to Devil's River. I drew that hunt a few years ago and had a blast. Missed a Auodad at 20 yds., then shot somekind of cross sheep at 32.

I hate they did away with devils river archery, that is a really cool place. I'm sure they are just keeping the archery exotic carrot there with Garners 8 permits going to get the cash from us with built up points because they know we are gonna continue applying. I'm somewhere in the teens on points on that category now.

Originally Posted By: wtjim

Its dramatically down from what it used to be, especially the archery category, I have the old books and can prove it.

Last edited by bossbowman; 08/17/18 01:31 PM.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide