Forum Stats
63905 Members
45 Forums
419208 Topics
6075440 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#7251500 - 08/10/18 01:11 PM Re: Berger VLD-H (hunting) bullet issues [Re: ChadTRG42]
FiremanJG Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: Wolfe City, TX
Did the blown up ones hit heavy bone? How fast was their muzzle velocity. How fast was the MV of the ice pick bullets?

800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available

#7251503 - 08/10/18 01:15 PM Re: Berger VLD-H (hunting) bullet issues [Re: ChadTRG42]
ChadTRG42 Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Lewisville, TX
6.5x284, 26 Nosler, down to 6.5 CM and 260 Rem rounds. Large velocity differences between those. I've seen ice pick results, as well as extreme fragmentation on these.

Custom and Precision Ammunition!!
www.DallasReloads.com
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL

#7251515 - 08/10/18 01:31 PM Re: Berger VLD-H (hunting) bullet issues [Re: ChadTRG42]
Buzzsaw Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Frisco, Texas
i had the elite hunter ice pick

#7251744 - 08/10/18 06:25 PM Re: Berger VLD-H (hunting) bullet issues [Re: ChadTRG42]
kmon1 Online   content
junior

Loc: Texas
Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42
Why are some 6.5mm 140's blowing up and some ice picking through?

Good question Chad. I have experienced both with 140gr VLD hunting bullets started at just over 2900fps and shots about 175 an 250. The Doe I mentioned in the other post that bullet penciled through a bit of lung then came apart while exiting through one rib. The one that blew up on the elk 2 inches further back would have been fine most likely but it hit tough leg mussel then heavier rib area and came apart from elk hid, tough leg mussel and what resistance the rib cage offered. Had it continued it punched through that it would have been a nice heart shot.

meat was blown away from the bone and there was a large cavity there of destruction but that was the last critter I will shoot those bullets at unless it is coyote or such.

RULES for using the TRADING POST
http://texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbth..._PO#Post6605808

#7251810 - 08/10/18 07:47 PM Re: Berger VLD-H (hunting) bullet issues [Re: ChadTRG42]
RedSnake Online   content
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Dallas / Nolan County
Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42
Why are some 6.5mm 140's blowing up and some ice picking through?

Gotta make sure the hollow point is hollow and not crimped or filled with lead. Use a thumb tack/push pin to check. Broz over on longrangeonly.com and longrangehunting.com forums has a ton of info about it and their terminal performance

Follow us on Instagram
@redsnake_tactical

www.RedSnake-Tactical.com
www.i-solunar.com

#7251818 - 08/10/18 07:53 PM Re: Berger VLD-H (hunting) bullet issues [Re: ChadTRG42]
Teal28 Offline
Extreme Tracker

Loc: Hen House Tx
I run 168’s in my 308 at 2710fps and 140’s in my 270 at 2830and 210’s in my 300 win at 2910fps. I have shot several deer and hogs with all 3. Always high shoulder on the deer and neck or behind the shoulder in the pigs. Never had one not expand/frag and come out the other side.
I did read of the penciling issue on another site a while back. Think it was the 140’s in the 6.5.
Could it just be a bad lot that got out?

#7251842 - 08/10/18 08:32 PM Re: Berger VLD-H (hunting) bullet issues [Re: ChadTRG42]
Brother in-law Offline
THF Celebrity

I’ve been using 6.5 130 vldh for the last 5 years with no issues and no tracking jobs.

#7251855 - 08/10/18 08:51 PM Re: Berger VLD-H (hunting) bullet issues [Re: ChadTRG42]
jeffbird Online   content

Would be helpful to discuss velocity at impact rather than or in addition to muzzle velocity, if possible.

#7251857 - 08/10/18 08:55 PM Re: Berger VLD-H (hunting) bullet issues [Re: jeffbird]
syncerus Offline
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Dallas, TX
Originally Posted By: jeffbird
Would be helpful to discuss velocity at impact rather than or in addition to muzzle velocity, if possible.

This. Muzzle velocity isn't the key indicator here: it's the impact velocity.

#7251868 - 08/10/18 09:07 PM Re: Berger VLD-H (hunting) bullet issues [Re: syncerus]
THF Celebrity

Originally Posted By: syncerus

Many of us assumed everyone knew a higher muzzle velocity meant a higher impact velocity.

As was said earlier, slow it down at the muzzle, for close shots, or shoot high MV loads at farther impact distances.

800 Yard Steel Range

#7251940 - 08/10/18 10:58 PM Re: Berger VLD-H (hunting) bullet issues [Re: FiremanJG]
jeffbird Online   content

Originally Posted By: FiremanJG
Originally Posted By: syncerus

Many of us assumed everyone knew a higher muzzle velocity meant a higher impact velocity.

As was said earlier, slow it down at the muzzle, for close shots, or shoot high MV loads at farther impact distances.

Obviously, as well as distance, bc, and DA, but determining the actual velocity at impact may help reveal patterns of what causes fragmentation, pencilling, and good performance.

There are scenarios where a lower MV, still will have a higher impact velocity. Example changing MV as the only variable - 308 Win with 185 Juggs at say 2600 MV at 100 yards will have the same impact velocity, 2444 fps,
than the same bullet from a 300 Win Mag at 2900 at 285. Move the 300 Win Mag out to 350, and the impact velocity will be lower than the 308 at 100. So it is helpful to punch numbers to determine the actual impact velocity for this discussion.

And I know you and Chad know that just putting it out for general discussion.

#7252053 - 08/11/18 08:02 AM Re: Berger VLD-H (hunting) bullet issues [Re: ChadTRG42]
Nogalus Prairie Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: Corsicana
None of that is surprising. They are like any other delicate bullet - when they perform they perform spectacularly (which is most of the time). But when they fail, they fail spectacularly also. They also have the propensity of needlessly destroying a lot of meat.

I would personally never use them on anything but varmints. Why risk a failure when there are better options like the ELD-X?

#7252095 - 08/11/18 08:40 AM Re: Berger VLD-H (hunting) bullet issues [Re: Nogalus Prairie]
RiverRider Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Wise Co.
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
None of that is surprising. They are like any other delicate bullet - when they perform they perform spectacularly (which is most of the time). But when they fail, they fail spectacularly also. They also have the propensity of needlessly destroying a lot of meat.

I would personally never use them on anything but varmints. Why risk a failure when there are better options like the ELD-X?

My thoughts, nearly word for word.

For my money, a bullet that will perform without velocity limitations (at the top end, at least) and expand moderately and retain enough weight to pass through is the way to go. In my world, that's a Partition or Accubond. These may not drop critters in their tracks as often as a frangible bullet does, but I don't mind walking an extra 30 or 40 feet and I have had them DRT. If I wasn't stocked up on Noslers I'd probably try the Hornady.

I'm here to give and receive knowledge, not affirmation or adoration. If you don't like it, mierda dura. Intellectual honesty is not for fragile egos.

#7252115 - 08/11/18 08:56 AM Re: Berger VLD-H (hunting) bullet issues [Re: RiverRider]
Nogalus Prairie Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: Corsicana
Originally Posted By: RiverRider
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

My thoughts, nearly word for word.

For my money, a bullet that will perform without velocity limitations (at the top end, at least) and expand moderately and retain enough weight to pass through is the way to go. In my world, that's a Partition or Accubond. These may not drop critters in their tracks as often as a frangible bullet does, but I don't mind walking an extra 30 or 40 feet and I have had them DRT. If I wasn't stocked up on Noslers I'd probably try the Hornady.

That’s me, but BC is important to many of the guys on here. ELD-X is designed for LR so I mentioned that one.

I never will understand the desire for visual “spectacular results”. If the shot is in a vital area with no bone encountered, will any other good bullet not also kill them just as dead? So why not also use a bullet that won’t splatter or disintegrate if one happens to hit a scapula or rib or need to make a quartering-to shot because the animal doesn’t present broadside?

Makes no sense to me.....

#7252118 - 08/11/18 08:59 AM Re: Berger VLD-H (hunting) bullet issues [Re: ChadTRG42]
THF Celebrity

I am not doubting these stories. I do not personally have them via the one rifle I have shooting VLD-Hunting bullets. Mule deer at 50 yards, both lungs, did run 50 yards, and pile up. I never lost line of sight on him. Bull elk (lungs) at 250, cow elk (lungs) at 465, cow elk (brain stem) 510. Yeah, big heavy animals, it ought to work. And I did not hit heavy bone on any of them. Heavy bone on the 50 yard mile deer, and I may have one of these stories.

However, a coyote was crossing my place in December and the 7 Rem Mag was what I had next to me. 300 yards, the coyote was nearly cut in half, so on the light body of a coyote, the bullet still expanded.

I am, admittedly, a bigger fan of the Hornady ELD-X, though. Got 500 brand new ones delivered just yesterday. wink

800 Yard Steel Range

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© 2004-2018 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide