Forum Stats
63905 Members
45 Forums
419208 Topics
6075440 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#6926023 - 10/19/17 01:04 PM Hunting w a TRADITIONAL ML this year?
Rocklock Offline
Bird Dog

Loc: Cedar Valley, Travis Co., TX
No special ML season in Central Texas but Ill again hunt the whole season w my .54 flintlock and a patched roundball. Itís a little bit over size (230 grain ball) for white tail but my .36 flinter is a little light (65 gr ball). Iíve taken a small buck at 93 yards w a .50 flinter that I traded off but most shots are 65 yds or less.

Hmmm. Itís a percussion but I might take the .58 musket out once or twice. 550 gr minie ball oughta hit like a freight train. Can you say over kill?

Support the Texas Youth Hunting Program
http://texasyouthhunting.com/

#6926325 - 10/19/17 06:20 PM Re: Hunting w a TRADITIONAL ML this year? [Re: Rocklock]
Pappybear Offline
Woodsman

Loc: Bowie / Crowell, TX
Iíve killed a lot of deer with my .50cal T/C Hawken flitter using 370gr Maxi Balls over 90 gr of FF.
My wife uses 275 gr Maxi Hunters over 80 gr of FF in her Lyman Deer Stalker. Weíre gonna miss Pennsylvaniaís Flintlock season when we move to Texas in a couple of weeks.

Edited by Pappybear (10/19/17 06:21 PM)

#6926597 - 10/20/17 03:46 AM Re: Hunting w a TRADITIONAL ML this year? [Re: Rocklock]
Old Stony Online   content
Bird Dog

Loc: East of Dallas
It sure would be nice if TPW would get their thinking together and start a real primitive season here like some other states. Even if they would run it concurrent with bow season would be great. I've killed hogs and deer with my sidelocks, and it turns the hunt into a real experience. I've used 50 and 58 calibers, but my .62's (both percussion and flinter) are my favorite. My percussion .62 with 90 grains anchors them.
Any desk jockeys out there with TPW paying attention?

#6927523 - 10/20/17 08:37 PM Re: Hunting w a TRADITIONAL ML this year? [Re: Old Stony]
Rocklock Offline
Bird Dog

Loc: Cedar Valley, Travis Co., TX
🤠. Iím planning on building aNW Trade Gun soon. .62 cal(20 ga) smooth bore 36Ē octagon to round barrel flintlock.

Support the Texas Youth Hunting Program
http://texasyouthhunting.com/

#6927650 - 10/21/17 01:42 AM Re: Hunting w a TRADITIONAL ML this year? [Re: Rocklock]
Bird Dog

Only problem with a NW Trade Gun is the lack of a rear sight, which can really limit your range for accurately placed shots. I shot one deer with a Wilson's .62 trade rifle, and it did a superb job, but you have to be pretty close. I'd consider adding a rear sight if I were building one to hunt with.

#7244605 - 08/03/18 07:51 PM Re: Hunting w a TRADITIONAL ML this year? [Re: Old Stony]
BillS2008 Offline
Outdoorsman

Loc: Gonzales, Texas
Originally Posted By: Old Stony
It sure would be nice if TPW would get their thinking together and start a real primitive season here like some other states. Even if they would run it concurrent with bow season would be great. I've killed hogs and deer with my sidelocks, and it turns the hunt into a real experience. I've used 50 and 58 calibers, but my .62's (both percussion and flinter) are my favorite. My percussion .62 with 90 grains anchors them.
Any desk jockeys out there with TPW paying attention?

The bow hunters are why there is no muzzle loader season. I was on the first muzzle loader hunt sponsored by TP&W and we were tasked to write the seasons and rules. We suggested two weeks between bow and rifle season, taking one week from each. The bow hunters shot that down real quick. TP&W does not want to rile the bow hunters.

#7244688 - 08/03/18 09:07 PM Re: Hunting w a TRADITIONAL ML this year? [Re: Rocklock]
Bird Dog

Muzzle loader seasons in some states are what they are supposed to be....which is a primitive season. Texas is allowing scoped inlines, crossbows and stuff that should not be used in primitive hunting as far as I am concerned. I think any practical reasoning as far as primitive hunting in Texas falls on deaf ears as far as TPW is concerned.
Maybe a couple of their people should attend a rendezvous and see what it actually is all about.

#7244947 - 08/04/18 08:00 AM Re: Hunting w a TRADITIONAL ML this year? [Re: Rocklock]
BillS2008 Offline
Outdoorsman

Loc: Gonzales, Texas
It's all about political clout. Muzzle loaders are a very small number compared to bow and rifle. I do agree that the modern inlines should be used during the rifle season.

#7245065 - 08/04/18 10:15 AM Re: Hunting w a TRADITIONAL ML this year? [Re: Rocklock]
duckhunter175 Offline
Bird Dog

Loc: DFW
Hunting with a traditional rifle is a great time!! I built a .50cal kit gun last season and then shot the biggest buck of my life with it. It has the fiber optic sights but I found out that 75 yards was pretty much max effective range for that rifle and this shooter with open sights.

I've seen where places will run a two week (and only 2 weekend) muzzy season with the first week/weekend reserved for flintlock and percussion and only a week/weekend for inlines/scopes. Seems like a fair idea.

Last season was my first in Texas and I was surprised to see no real muzzy season.

#7245673 - 08/04/18 09:54 PM Re: Hunting w a TRADITIONAL ML this year? [Re: Old Stony]
Jimbo Online   content
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: The last LF ranch in S. Texas
Originally Posted By: Old Stony
Muzzle loader seasons in some states are what they are supposed to be....which is a primitive season. Texas is allowing scoped inlines, crossbows and stuff that should not be used in primitive hunting as far as I am concerned. I think any practical reasoning as far as primitive hunting in Texas falls on deaf ears as far as TPW is concerned.
Maybe a couple of their people should attend a rendezvous and see what it actually is all about.

I doubt it would ever pass where you would have muzzle loader season run with archery season.
The main reason is the majority would be using the modern in-line so you may as well just open it up to centerfires as well.
With crossbows and in-lines it would be hard to draw the line of what is primitive and what is not.....A slingshot would be primitive, and an atlatl would be considered by some as modern. $$$$ is what drives the hunting seasons anyway.

#7245793 - 08/05/18 05:31 AM Re: Hunting w a TRADITIONAL ML this year? [Re: Rocklock]
Bird Dog

I don't really see any hope for a proper alignment of primitive/modern seasons in Texas, as TPW seems to have no interest in a practical solution to this problem ( yes...problem !)

#7246462 - 08/05/18 09:31 PM Re: Hunting w a TRADITIONAL ML this year? [Re: Rocklock]
passthru Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Saginaw, Tx
I hunt on an archery only lease. My ranch is archery only for deer as well. I have bowhunted in rifle season for many years. When I hunt my land in Missouri it's during the general season and guess what I carry? A bow.
There's 3 months of season. You want to hunt with a ML early? Get on an MLD place. They start with rifles on opening day of archery season.
The weapon doesn't make the season or the hunter. Just enjoy taking the weapon you enjoy into the woods and hunting instead of begrudging what someone else has or is doing.
And I agree. Today's modern crossbows, and even compound bows, are far from primitive or even limited in effective range. But the companies banded together and successfully lobbied. Why haven't the muzzle loader people done that? Because there isn't enough of them or money involved to be effective?
And the comment about a sidelock being effective to only 75 yards is untrue. That's the shooter not the gun. I've owned a couple. Including a CVA kit gun. I shot silhouette matches with it out to 100 yards with only me limiting it's accuracy. Those were fun times but when the older fellas died off or got to old to shoot anymore the club matches went away.
It's the same all over. People want what's quick and easy to be successful with. Compound bows with rangefinders built in the sight. Cross bows that shoot a hundred yards.
The traditional bowhunter and cap and ball or flintlock followers are limited in numbers and thus considered fringe participants.
That said switching to a recurve and longbow is my choice. I choose it for the fact that it's harder. That I have to work harder for it. For the fact that the time, the work, the satisfaction I get isn't from a large rack or meat in the ice chest. Those things are the icing on the cake.
http://www.threefingersbowhunting.com/

#7249582 - 08/08/18 04:35 PM Re: Hunting w a TRADITIONAL ML this year? [Re: Rocklock]
kmon1 Online   content
junior

Loc: Texas
Well stated Passthru

RULES for using the TRADING POST
http://texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbth..._PO#Post6605808

#7251476 - 08/10/18 12:47 PM Re: Hunting w a TRADITIONAL ML this year? [Re: Rocklock]
colt.45 Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: wondering about the woods
cheers

Back in the saddle again. New purchase.
Close ta 50 years black powder, .45 Kentuckeys, 44 revoler, New Orleans special.
Got me first in-line, 50 cal .
Taken deer & hogs with me .45
Aa pappy say's :
keep your head held high & your powder dry.

edit up ta passthru. Ya have two months of rifle season ta hunt, confused2 why people want ta mess with the archery hunters ? i'd still be chooten me 70# PSE if me shoulders were better. Looking at crossbow, 60+ leagal.

flag

Edited by colt.45 (08/10/18 12:56 PM)

i'm postaddic

#7251596 - 08/10/18 02:57 PM Re: Hunting w a TRADITIONAL ML this year? [Re: Rocklock]
Bird Dog

You have my sympathy

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© 2004-2018 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide