Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
The older I get, the harder it is to see peep sight #7250187 08/09/18 01:45 PM
Gringocazador Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
I may have to rethink my set up. I do not see well up close, age is getting the better of my close up vison at 62. I call really tell a difference in my vision recently. I can see pretty good far off for the most part. My peep is very blurry making it hard to center my sight pin. I've read lots about people doing away with a peep. Seems its all about anchor point etc.

I do have trifocals but seldom us them. Cheaters for reading is about all I ever use. I really do not want to try shooting with glasses/trifocals unless it becomes the last option.

I remember using a kisser button 35 years ago shooting with a glove, but I anchor with the string much further back using a release that back then.

It may be a simple as removing the peep and getting used to shooting with out one. I started out shooting with no sites, but that was many years ago.

Thanks, Billy
Re: The older I get, the harder it is to see peep sight [Re: Gringocazador] #7250190 08/09/18 01:48 PM
U
unclebubba Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
U
If you are focused on the pin, shouldn't the peep just be a blurry ring anyhow?

Re: The older I get, the harder it is to see peep sight [Re: Gringocazador] #7250202 08/09/18 02:00 PM
kmon11 Offline
junior
junior
Do not concentrate on the peep ring, I want the peep to be sized so the ring of the front sight is just inside the peep sight ring. The eye will center the smaller circle in the larger circle easily enough even if one or both are blurred. Yes my mid 50's eyes do nto see as well as they once did.

Set the sight pins so they are on when the 2 circles are centered.

You can still use a kisser if you want with peep sights and the longer anchor point when using a release if the bow is setup to do so.

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: The older I get, the harder it is to see peep sight [Re: Gringocazador] #7250437 08/09/18 05:37 PM
Gringocazador Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker

I just set this bow up, its been a couple of years since I shot, had elbow surgery that really slowed me down for a while. I think one thing that will help me is going to a smaller peep. I thought I always used 3/16 but my sight pin looks like a BB in a box car. I thought I had the same Trophy ridge site as my last bow. Also realized my peep is not always centering, I think I need to move one strand to center the peep. I may go back to the hooded peep like on my other bow, or find whats the best fit.

My thinking I was seeing my peep double vision may be the peep not always ending up on center. I can blame that on my bad eyes too!!

Think I will go to the bow shop on Saturday in Sante Fe, Tx down the road from me if I get time to shoot and figure out which peep works best. They have alwyas been able to help me over the years.

My eyes have no doubt changed, and no doubt I need to adjust. I have a lot o practice to do in the next few weeks. The biggest problem is this thing called a job. Jobs sure seem to take up a lot of time don't they!!!

Thanks, Billy
Re: The older I get, the harder it is to see peep sight [Re: Gringocazador] #7250495 08/09/18 06:42 PM
kmon11 Offline
junior
junior
Something you might also consider is a clarifier peep soght. Hopefully your shop has them to try

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: The older I get, the harder it is to see peep sight [Re: Gringocazador] #7250617 08/09/18 08:30 PM
Gringocazador Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
Kmon1,

I've seen the Clarifier peeps, they've been around a while. I did go to their website and poke around the other day. I have no idea if they would help or not, but will look into it.

I may call over to Sante Fe Archery and see if they have one. I need to call them anyway. I heard they might be closing, need to find out if they are still in business.

Thanks, Billy
Re: The older I get, the harder it is to see peep sight [Re: Gringocazador] #7252094 08/11/18 01:40 PM
P
passthru Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
I tried clarice peeps. They are fantastic in warm weather. On a crisp morning they fog up really easy and you're screwed. You might try going peep-less and try the IQ now sight.

I work hard, drink a little and hunt when I can.
NRA Life Member
https://sofalasafaris.com/
Re: The older I get, the harder it is to see peep sight [Re: Gringocazador] #7252101 08/11/18 01:45 PM
P
passthru Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Or do like I have. Switch to a bare bow.

I work hard, drink a little and hunt when I can.
NRA Life Member
https://sofalasafaris.com/
Re: The older I get, the harder it is to see peep sight [Re: Gringocazador] #7252404 08/11/18 07:00 PM
B
BigLou Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
Gringo,
If your peep is twisting sideways, probably means your string is stretched and time to get a new one...hope that helps.

Lou

Re: The older I get, the harder it is to see peep sight [Re: Gringocazador] #7252997 08/12/18 01:29 PM
Gringocazador Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
Went the bow shop yesterday. Swapped out the peep for a smaller size, which I can center the pins a little better. I had the read color whatever size that was to blue which is smaller. With that said, didn't get to shoot it. By the time I made to the shop it was near quitting time. Along with dislocated and broke little toe on my right foot. Don't walk a weenie dog barefoot!!!

It took them a while to get it lined up straight. New bow and string hasn't settled in is one one of the guys said. I've never seen a peep that was so unpredictable. It would align at draw, next draw it wouldn't.

The guys at Santa Fe Archery are really good guys. They swapped my red peep out for a blue one and spent time getting it to align etc. When I tried to pay them they told me I didn't owe them anything. Sure as heck makes you want to come back. I've bought several bows from them over the years, good guys.

Thanks, Billy
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide