Deer won't eat my protein... #7249037 08/08/18 01:09 PM
D
DocHorton Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Hey Guys,

I've been attempting to feed protein for almost 2 years and my deer just don't eat much of it at all...only about 150-200 lbs all summer. I've tried everything I know....put in corn with it, tried a different protein, etc. It's a gravity feeder and I have pictures of deer eating out of it, but they just don't consume much. The only thing is the protein may be old at this point, I bought 10 bags thinking that would last a couple months back in the winter and it has been mostly sitting in a container since then, but even when it was new they consume very little. I have a pretty healthy deer population for my small area, I routinely see 10-12 deer on my place every time I go. I have a lot of water on my place, the feeder is in a good traveled area for the deer. Closest corn feeder is about 150-200 yards away. They hit my corn every day.

Any thoughts? I'd really like to get them on protein pretty heavily. Should I dump it all and try a different protein again?

This is what I'm feeding, it's the only thing my local feed store has...

https://www.sportsmanschoicefeeds.com/product/record-rack-deer-breeder-formula

I'm looking for any other ideas...I just don't understand why they won't eat it.

Re: Deer won't eat my protein... [Re: DocHorton] #7249051 08/08/18 01:18 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Feed does get old and starts to smell old. What style/brand feeder are you using? How much rain have you had this spring and summer? Did you fill the feeder to the top when starting to feed?
I have been feeding protein since 2012. When it rains here the deer slow down and sometimes quit hitting the feeders. Last year in the late winter and spring I was filling feeders every 7-14 days till early June. It rained a lot last summer and the did stopped eating protein. I did have to refill the feeders till mid Sept. This year it was the same as far as filling feeders but it did not rain this year until late June. I filled the feeders on June 23rd and the deer have not emptied them since. I had to turn the corn feeders down also.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Deer won't eat my protein... [Re: DocHorton] #7249109 08/08/18 02:02 PM
D
DocHorton Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
D
It's just a gravity feed barrel style, just like this one....

http://buckstophunting.com/product/j-gottcha-feeders/

I haven't had much rain at all, yes I filled to the top when feeding. I top it off each time I go and there's very little gone, like they've only eaten 150-200 lbs in probably 6 months. How long does protein last or is it good for?

Maybe I will pour it all out and start again, but growing season is basically over at this point....

Re: Deer won't eat my protein... [Re: DocHorton] #7249134 08/08/18 02:24 PM
T
titan2232 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Might try some corn/soybean mix. It has a decent protein percentage and I've never seen deer shy away from eating it.

Re: Deer won't eat my protein... [Re: DocHorton] #7249138 08/08/18 02:32 PM
D
DocHorton Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Not sure where I can get that, but I will look into it, thanks.

Several of my buddies have Boss Buck protein feeders and they seem to have really good luck with them, maybe I'll get rid of mine and get a new one.

Re: Deer won't eat my protein... [Re: DocHorton] #7249170 08/08/18 02:57 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
How high off of the ground is the bottom edge of the feed ports? It could be a bit to tall for the size deer in your area. My feeders were set at 38-39" from the factory. I knew the size deer here would struggle to eat out of it when just starting out. So I dug the legs down to where the ports were 32-33" from the ground. I put about one bucket of corn in each feeder when I set them up. When the deer ate the corn I then mixed in one bucket of corn and one bucket of protein in the feeders. When that was gone I put in enough feed to last a month. Feed will start to get a stale smell and taste after about 3 months. By topping off the feeders before they are empty all the feed in the bottom of the feeder is probably turning to powder and full of brown bugs or weevils. If your deer have been eating protein for a long time they might eat the old feed if they have to. Most won't eat old feed when starting out. I would dump all the feed out and clean the feeder. Then put in a bucket or so of corn. Then a bucket of corn and protein mix. When the feeder is empty put enough feed to last till you come back again. I would never put more than a month to 6 weeks worth of feed in a feeder. Feed type or brand will not matter as long as it is fresh.(will be marked with manufacture date). If the location you are buying feed from had 6 month old feed when you bought it then the feed is now over a year old. Also get a feed made for free ranging whitetails and a not deer in a breeder pen. Pasture rations have less fiber, more protein % and generally more minerals. Breeding pen rations will be high fiber, lower protein and lower mineral content. Not the best feed for a free range feeding situation IMO.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Deer won't eat my protein... [Re: DocHorton] #7249317 08/08/18 05:20 PM
M
MWTX270 Online Content
Bird Dog
Online Content
Bird Dog
M
I had a homemade gravity feeder, and the coons would rake the feed on the ground, and had to fill it weekly, about 75lbs. I have trapped and disposed of 28 coons. I bought a 200 lb boss buck feeder and I really like it. It has 3 spouts, and the deer eat out of each spot. Have pictures of deer eating out of all 3, at the same time. I feed antler max, record rack, and red chain deer pellets. All are 20% protein, and the deer seem to eat whatever i put in it. So far this year, just pictures of does, with one small 8 point. Hoping the big bucks will find it. I have my feeder fenced off, with hog panels. I also have a timed corn feeder, in the same pen, that feeds evenings and mornings, for 4 seconds a throw.

Re: Deer won't eat my protein... [Re: stxranchman] #7249354 08/08/18 05:44 PM
D
DocHorton Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Originally Posted By: stxranchman
How high off of the ground is the bottom edge of the feed ports? It could be a bit to tall for the size deer in your area. My feeders were set at 38-39" from the factory. I knew the size deer here would struggle to eat out of it when just starting out. So I dug the legs down to where the ports were 32-33" from the ground. I put about one bucket of corn in each feeder when I set them up. When the deer ate the corn I then mixed in one bucket of corn and one bucket of protein in the feeders. When that was gone I put in enough feed to last a month. Feed will start to get a stale smell and taste after about 3 months. By topping off the feeders before they are empty all the feed in the bottom of the feeder is probably turning to powder and full of brown bugs or weevils. If your deer have been eating protein for a long time they might eat the old feed if they have to. Most won't eat old feed when starting out. I would dump all the feed out and clean the feeder. Then put in a bucket or so of corn. Then a bucket of corn and protein mix. When the feeder is empty put enough feed to last till you come back again. I would never put more than a month to 6 weeks worth of feed in a feeder. Feed type or brand will not matter as long as it is fresh.(will be marked with manufacture date). If the location you are buying feed from had 6 month old feed when you bought it then the feed is now over a year old. Also get a feed made for free ranging whitetails and a not deer in a breeder pen. Pasture rations have less fiber, more protein % and generally more minerals. Breeding pen rations will be high fiber, lower protein and lower mineral content. Not the best feed for a free range feeding situation IMO.

Great info...I'll just start over. I'll check the height, but I don't think that is the problem because they can easily eat out of it.

I did what you talked about initially with the corn, then protein and corn mix. They seemed to eat it, but I filled that sucker up hoping it would be gone the next time I checked it. I only go every 3-4 weeks in the off-season and I was expecting them to empty it in a month is the reason I filled it up. I'll try a different protein as well.

Appreciate it!

Last edited by DocHorton; 08/08/18 05:45 PM.
Re: Deer won't eat my protein... [Re: DocHorton] #7249362 08/08/18 05:49 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
placement of the feeder will make a big diff also... iv seen deer that hate eating out of a feeder next to water or tight woods then some herds that wont go into an open field to save their life

Re: Deer won't eat my protein... [Re: DocHorton] #7249387 08/08/18 06:20 PM
S
soonersorlaters Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: DocHorton
Hey Guys,

I've been attempting to feed protein for almost 2 years and my deer just don't eat much of it at all...only about 150-200 lbs all summer. I've tried everything I know....put in corn with it, tried a different protein, etc. It's a gravity feeder and I have pictures of deer eating out of it, but they just don't consume much. The only thing is the protein may be old at this point, I bought 10 bags thinking that would last a couple months back in the winter and it has been mostly sitting in a container since then, but even when it was new they consume very little. I have a pretty healthy deer population for my small area, I routinely see 10-12 deer on my place every time I go. I have a lot of water on my place, the feeder is in a good traveled area for the deer. Closest corn feeder is about 150-200 yards away. They hit my corn every day.

Any thoughts? I'd really like to get them on protein pretty heavily. Should I dump it all and try a different protein again?

I'm looking for any other ideas...I just don't understand why they won't eat it.

Where is your lease located? Is the feeder penned in? If so, how big is the pen?

Last edited by soonersorlaters; 08/08/18 06:21 PM.
Re: Deer won't eat my protein... [Re: DocHorton] #7249391 08/08/18 06:23 PM
U
unclebubba Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
U
We have multiple protein feeders on our property. We put a protein feeder and corn feeder right next to each other. Have two setups about 120 yards apart, and at one setup, they eat the protein like crazy, and at the other, just 120 yards from there, they will only eat the corn. Makes no sense, but who knows. Try putting your protein feeder in a different spot too.

Re: Deer won't eat my protein... [Re: soonersorlaters] #7249400 08/08/18 06:34 PM
D
DocHorton Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Originally Posted By: soonersorlaters
Hey Guys,

Where is your lease located? Is the feeder penned in? If so, how big is the pen?

Property is outside Grand Saline. No pen for the feeder...I've had it in two different locations with same issue.

Re: Deer won't eat my protein... [Re: DocHorton] #7251371 08/10/18 03:58 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
What type of hopper?

Re: Deer won't eat my protein... [Re: DocHorton] #7251570 08/10/18 07:25 PM
R
rickym Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Feed corn and soybean mix, and keep minerals near by.

Re: Deer won't eat my protein... [Re: DocHorton] #7252017 08/11/18 11:47 AM
S
Stub Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
S
Buddy of mine in Jacksboro said they are tearing the protien it up, especially the bucks. Its real dry up there and not much else to eat, might have something to do with it? Where you hunt is there a lot of good browse or dry there also?

Last edited by Stub; 08/11/18 11:49 AM.

texas flag

Re: Deer won't eat my protein... [Re: DocHorton] #7252730 08/12/18 01:31 AM
P
phathawg Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
P
I go through 200-300 lbs per week in Leon county. I feed 12% allstock

There's only 2 seasons in a year. Deer season and getting ready for deer season.
Re: Deer won't eat my protein... [Re: DocHorton] #7252775 08/12/18 02:10 AM
S
Simple Searcher Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
I had a feeder like the ones you had a link for. I do not know why our deer would not eat from it. So we got the kind with the longer chutes. We know have 2 of the 1000 pounders on 120 acres, they empty them every month.
And yes you can protein feed on a small place and make a difference.

[Linked Image]

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark
Re: Deer won't eat my protein... [Re: Navasot] #7256951 08/15/18 05:09 PM
TX_LT230FH Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
NAV-
Clean out your PMs!

[Linked Image]
Re: Deer won't eat my protein... [Re: Navasot] #7259425 08/17/18 04:52 PM
D
DocHorton Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Originally Posted By: Navasot
What type of hopper?

Re: Deer won't eat my protein... [Re: Simple Searcher] #7259426 08/17/18 04:53 PM
D
DocHorton Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Originally Posted By: Simple Searcher
I had a feeder like the ones you had a link for. I do not know why our deer would not eat from it. So we got the kind with the longer chutes. We know have 2 of the 1000 pounders on 120 acres, they empty them every month.
And yes you can protein feed on a small place and make a difference.

That's good to hear. I'm gonna try a BossBuck feeder...my buddies have good luck with those.

Curious, what kind of improvement have you seen and how long have you been feeding?

Re: Deer won't eat my protein... [Re: phathawg] #7259453 08/17/18 05:21 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
Originally Posted By: phathawg
I go through 200-300 lbs per week in Leon county. I feed 12% allstock

same

Re: Deer won't eat my protein... [Re: TX_LT230FH] #7259454 08/17/18 05:22 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
Originally Posted By: TX_LT230FH
NAV-
Clean out your PMs!

OOOPS got it done

Re: Deer won't eat my protein... [Re: DocHorton] #7259457 08/17/18 05:23 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
What type of hopper?

and you have deer eating out of the same feeder somewere else or a single style feeder

Re: Deer won't eat my protein... [Re: Navasot] #7259487 08/17/18 06:03 PM
D
DocHorton Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
D
What type of hopper?

and you have deer eating out of the same feeder somewere else or a single style feeder

I have three spinner corn feeders...my protein feeder is the only one like this one. I've seen them eat out of it, but they don't eat much. I'm gonna try a new protein and get a new feeder and see if it helps.

What kind of protein do you feed and what kind of feeder?

Re: Deer won't eat my protein... [Re: DocHorton] #7266268 08/24/18 03:23 PM
A
Always ready 2 hunt Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
A
I think your initial fill up got old, clumped and dust/mush in bottom. I agree clean out and start over is best option.

also, I'd remove the ladder off your double stand barrel feeders when not using to climb. Just throw it off to the side. Fill one barrel with corn and other just with corn in bottom and then corn/protein mix but I'd only fill 1/2 way to start with. I've been using Antler Max bags. I'd like to try Double Down but don't want to pay that extra price. I switched to 1000 lbs feeders by Krivoman and put The Hammer timed feeders on them (my budget not allow free demand 24/7) and the deer come in when it opens just like my timed corned thrower. I'm glad I invested in the large feeder and The Hammer. Currently running 1700 corn thrower and 1000 protein with The Hammer at same location about 40 yards apart. Deer walk past corn to protein but when bucks come in the does or smaller buck walk down to corn. They work back and forth for hours because I have each unit open/throw at daylight, then again about 8:30 each morning.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide