Forums46
Topics537,817
Posts9,729,480
Members87,042
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Walking to the stand in the dark [Re: Cherokee Mingan] #7256111 08/15/18 02:47 AM
B
bigjoe8565 Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Spider webs and quail cause more frights than anything else for me. Nothing worse that walking into a spider web in the dark. I drop pretty everything I’m carrying to fight the brain sucking spider that’s in my hair or on my face. When I flush a covey in the dark, especially when stalking pigs, I’m 100% certain I’m nano seconds from dying a violent death.

Re: Walking to the stand in the dark [Re: ducknbass] #7256286 08/15/18 05:04 AM
D
DocHorton Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Originally Posted By: ducknbass
I ain't scared of the dark. But walking through spider webs in the dark.i don't know how I've not beaten myself black and blue trying to kill spiders that may or may not be on my face.

x100. I just know every spider web I walk into is a black widow and I'm seconds away from death. I'll beat myself like a monkey on fire. flame roflmao

Re: Walking to the stand in the dark [Re: Cherokee Mingan] #7256292 08/15/18 05:07 AM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S
Y'all do realize the same stuff thats in the woods in the dark is there in daylight too right roflmao

Re: Walking to the stand in the dark [Re: Cherokee Mingan] #7256299 08/15/18 05:17 AM
R
Rmocarsky Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
R

Not walking to the stand but coming out in the dark . . .

My friend used to rent an 18 acre farmette surrounded by huge corn and soybean fields. Fox hunting was wildly (and still is) popular with horses & hounds in Northern Baltimore Co., Maryland.

His farmette was laced with horse trails cut through the woods so riders could gallop safely through without fear of tree limbs.

Well . . . It was bow season and the sun had set so I was on my way out walking down one of these horse trails with my back pack on, Bakker stand under one arm (tells you something about age, right?) and bow in other hand. No firearms at all.

Suddenly up ahead of me about 20 yards a group of whitetail dart across the trail from my right to my left.

No big deal, right?

Well, when I got almost parallel to where they crossed over, on the left in the trees is a PI$$ED OFF mature doe, snorting, stomping her feet at me with her ears laid back about 10 yards away.

I froze in my tracks. Nothing like this had ever happened to me before. My hands were full and even with the moonlight if I had enough time to drop everything and nock an arrow I would not have been able to see my pins.

Then all of a sudden a yearling or younger leapt out of the woods on the right of the trail (where the group had originated from) and crossed the trail about 10 yards away from me. Once it entered the woods on the left and rejoined what I can only assume was its mother, they both melted into the trees, and I continued on my way out of the woods.

That was the most frightened I have ever been by a wild animal and to think it was only a doe, but man, she meant business!

Rmocarsky

Re: Walking to the stand in the dark [Re: SapperTitan] #7256300 08/15/18 05:18 AM
D
DocHorton Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Originally Posted By: SapperTitan
Y'all do realize the same stuff thats in the woods in the dark is there in daylight too right roflmao

Spiders are bigger and more deadly at night. It's science.

roflmao

Re: Walking to the stand in the dark [Re: DocHorton] #7256505 08/15/18 12:36 PM
B
bigjoe8565 Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted By: DocHorton

roflmao

Doc speaks the truth!

Re: Walking to the stand in the dark [Re: bigjoe8565] #7256535 08/15/18 12:55 PM
S
SnakeWrangler Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: bigjoe8565

roflmao

Doc speaks the truth!
clap

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: Walking to the stand in the dark [Re: DocHorton] #7256537 08/15/18 12:59 PM
K
KWood_TSU Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
K
I ain't scared of the dark. But walking through spider webs in the dark.i don't know how I've not beaten myself black and blue trying to kill spiders that may or may not be on my face.

x100. I just know every spider web I walk into is a black widow and I'm seconds away from death. I'll beat myself like a monkey on fire. flame roflmao

You do know that it won't be a venomous spider web you walk through right.

I've never understood the fear of spiders by hunters. There's only two you have to worry about, you clean your blind out a few times a year you'll never have to worry about them.

Amat Victoria Curam - Victory Loves Preparation
Re: Walking to the stand in the dark [Re: KWood_TSU] #7256547 08/15/18 01:05 PM
C
Choctaw Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted By: KWood_TSU

I've never understood the fear of spiders by hunters. There's only two you have to worry about, you clean your blind out a few times a year you'll never have to worry about them.

Your not being able to understand my unreasonable fear of spiders means nothing to me. grin

Re: Walking to the stand in the dark [Re: KWood_TSU] #7256668 08/15/18 02:03 PM
T
titan2232 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T

Get a sealed blind and never worry again.

Re: Walking to the stand in the dark [Re: Choctaw] #7256904 08/15/18 04:22 PM
S
SnakeWrangler Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: Choctaw
Your not being able to understand my unreasonable fear of spiders means nothing to me. grin

Unreasonable of irrational.... confused2

Either way...liking snakes I fully understand phobias....I just try to educate folks....but as you say, fear is fear...its a hard thing to overcome.....

I feel the same way about scorpions.....kill every one I see....I HATE THEM!

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: Walking to the stand in the dark [Re: Cherokee Mingan] #7257048 08/15/18 06:13 PM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S
I just walk with my shooting sticks extended and at a 45 degree angle from my waist. This knocks down the majority of spider webs.

Re: Walking to the stand in the dark [Re: KWood_TSU] #7257173 08/15/18 08:16 PM
D
ducknbass Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D

Hold the front door. Venomous spiders don't web?

Either of way I ain't walking around with one of those big brown spiders on my face. Nope nope nope

Re: Walking to the stand in the dark [Re: Cherokee Mingan] #7257263 08/15/18 09:26 PM
K
KWood_TSU Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
K
They web up, but not across trails. They get up underneath nooks and crannies, they like the dark.

Amat Victoria Curam - Victory Loves Preparation
Re: Walking to the stand in the dark [Re: Cherokee Mingan] #7257670 08/16/18 04:04 AM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Walked into a bedded herd of elk one time about an hr before 1st light, I smelled them 1st and seconds later the earth erupted. I knew what I had done, so all I could do was stand still and put my arms over my face, was a little "shake" goin on for a few minutes afterwards.

Here in Texas I try to avoid copperheads and skunks and always ready for another of my neighbors pits.

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Re: Walking to the stand in the dark [Re: ducknbass] #7257685 08/16/18 04:26 AM
B
BigPig Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B

Hold the front door. Venomous spiders don't web?

Either of way I ain't walking around with one of those big brown spiders on my face. Nope nope nope

I picked up a tarantula at our city pistol range and put him on my shoulder prior to a pistol qual. He stayed put for the entire qual

Re: Walking to the stand in the dark [Re: Western] #7257686 08/16/18 04:27 AM
B
BigPig Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted By: Western
Walked into a bedded herd of elk one time about an hr before 1st light, I smelled them 1st and seconds later the earth erupted. I knew what I had done, so all I could do was stand still and put my arms over my face, was a little "shake" goin on for a few minutes afterwards.

Here in Texas I try to avoid copperheads and skunks and always ready for another of my neighbors pits.

I'm going to trap a skunk and slip him in your work trailer

Re: Walking to the stand in the dark [Re: KWood_TSU] #7257700 08/16/18 05:10 AM
D
DocHorton Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D

Lies. All lies. roflmao

For some reason snakes don't scare me but spiders are a different story. Funny story...I was at my Dad's a while back and a big black snake was laying real still out in front of his barn looking like a limb and we were walking over to the corral. I said, "Dad, there's a snake". He about jumped out of his skin and started breathing heavy, I thought he was gonna have a panic attack. rofl My Dad is one of the coolest dudes around but he is deathly afraid of snakes. I about laughed my [censored] off.

If there was video of some of the times I walked through a web at night I would win America's Funniest Home Videos.

Re: Walking to the stand in the dark [Re: Cherokee Mingan] #7257704 08/16/18 05:19 AM
T
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Right there with you with AFV and spiders. They were thick in my backyard earlier this year and I looked like a fool going to the garage. Apparantly the basketball goal and truck were good anchors. Good practice for the lease.

Re: Walking to the stand in the dark [Re: BigPig] #7257799 08/16/18 12:48 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Originally Posted By: BigPig
Originally Posted By: Western

I'm going to trap a skunk and slip him in your work trailer

Hey, I know where you live and have a red river friend with NV, so....

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Re: Walking to the stand in the dark [Re: Txduckman] #7257910 08/16/18 02:31 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Q
Originally Posted By: Txduckman
Right there with you with AFV and spiders. They were thick in my backyard earlier this year and I looked like a fool going to the garage. Apparantly the basketball goal and truck were good anchors. Good practice for the lease.

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide