S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S
Originally Posted By: Bigfoot
Originally Posted By: Cherokee Mingan
Walking deep in to the shnf at night should be no big deal right. Well go pull up bigfoot reports and locations. Sure enough there are literally hundreds of sightings just in my area of the shnf. No big deal right it is just fake. Then one day I hear this "whooop" and I also find this crazy tree structure. All of this in the same area I hunt. Do I think about it walking that 1.5 miles in the dark? Yes I do but I still go.

Kind of wish I didn't read your post. Even worse is that I wish I didn't feel the desire to go see that website that you mentioned.

Trust me dont read them! I hunt near stubblefield campground and the amount of sightings in that area is incredible. How can all of these people be making stuff up? So far I have been whooped at and I found this tree structure right in the middle of my hunting grounds and this is the 2nd tree structure that I have found. While scouting for pigs over near Cleveland I found another tree structure.

give me the grid and I’ll go get him with the thermal and shotgun

Re: Walking to the stand in the dark [Re: Cherokee Mingan] #7248863 08/08/18 04:37 AM
P
pigplinker Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
P
I was the boogie man once. I was bow hunting late Oct in East Tx and stayed on the stand till dark. I had heard a group go down the dirt road on the north boarder of lease. It was a county road, but it was dirt. As it was getting dark I heard the group coming back down the road. They were on a hay ride with a tractor pulling. I had no intention of scaring anybody. As I walked out of the woods the tractor was coming by so I just stood still waiting on them to pass. The driver almost jumped off the tractor when she looked my direction and saw me standing next to the road. When she screamed and stood up to get off (while the tractor was still moving) everybody on the trailer looked at what she was looking at and started to get off. As it turned out they stopped and talked to me a min. I think to catch their breath and as we laughed about the scare they took off down the road. I started walking down the road back to my truck then only to look up and see a doe standing in the road 30 yds from us. Go figure. I was scared the lady was going to jump off the tractor while moving.

Re: Walking to the stand in the dark [Re: SapperTitan] #7248910 08/08/18 10:19 AM
B
Bigfoot Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B

[/quote] give me the grid and I’ll go get him with the thermal and shotgun [/quote]

Oh no. Im going to be the famous hunter with the biggest prize.

GO TRUMP!
Re: Walking to the stand in the dark [Re: Cherokee Mingan] #7248914 08/08/18 10:38 AM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
I always use a light when hunting public land, and in areas where I've seen recent hog activity. I just don't hate deer as much as I once did when killing one was more important than personal safety.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Walking to the stand in the dark [Re: Texas Dan] #7249120 08/08/18 02:09 PM
1860.colt Offline
emoji colt.45
emoji colt.45
Originally Posted By: Texas Dan
I always use a light when hunting public land, and in areas where I've seen recent hog activity. I just don't hate deer as much as I once did when killing one was more important than personal safety.

bang no wonder why ya never see bigfoot.
He sees ya coming from a quarter mile away with that thar light a shining.

Did i ever tells ya bout the time,

Oh wait,

ya i did.
flag

i'm postaddic
Re: Walking to the stand in the dark [Re: pigplinker] #7249153 08/08/18 02:45 PM
sig226fan (Rguns.com) Offline
duck & cover
duck & cover
Originally Posted By: pigplinker
I was the boogie man once. I was bow hunting late Oct in East Tx and stayed on the stand till dark. I had heard a group go down the dirt road on the north boarder of lease. It was a county road, but it was dirt. As it was getting dark I heard the group coming back down the road. They were on a hay ride with a tractor pulling. I had no intention of scaring anybody. As I walked out of the woods the tractor was coming by so I just stood still waiting on them to pass. The driver almost jumped off the tractor when she looked my direction and saw me standing next to the road. When she screamed and stood up to get off (while the tractor was still moving) everybody on the trailer looked at what she was looking at and started to get off. As it turned out they stopped and talked to me a min. I think to catch their breath and as we laughed about the scare they took off down the road. I started walking down the road back to my truck then only to look up and see a doe standing in the road 30 yds from us. Go figure. I was scared the lady was going to jump off the tractor while moving.

I was in a bow blind one day, hotter than you know what, hearing crackling noises, branches breaking, coming my direction... got all keyed up, then it was a horse, with a rider, walked right to our rusty ol tripod, and the old cowboy knocked on it to see how much corn was in it... having switched from bow to Sig, I said, "Can I help you?"... after he and the horse calmed down, he said he was looking for a missing calf from the place next door, I told him in no uncertain terms that the n*&)(*& calf was not in my feeder.... and to leave...

Re: Walking to the stand in the dark [Re: JCB] #7249166 08/08/18 02:53 PM
syncerus Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted By: JCB
My biggest fear in the dark is snakes. I have walked up on enough hogs at night now that it doesn't bother me too much anymore. Never seen a Squatch so I am still a non-believer.

Snake boots are a must for night hunting, at least for me. The only two things that really concern me are snakes and loose bulls.

NRA Patriot Benefactor & DSC Lifer
Re: Walking to the stand in the dark [Re: ducknbass] #7249268 08/08/18 04:31 PM
C
Choctaw Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted By: ducknbass
I ain't scared of the dark. But walking through spider webs in the dark.i don't know how I've not beaten myself black and blue trying to kill spiders that may or may not be on my face.

Yes sir, me too. I'll turn into a nancy boy PDQ if I have spiders on me. Otherwise, I'm not worried because I'm at the top of the food chain.

Re: Walking to the stand in the dark [Re: Cherokee Mingan] #7249283 08/08/18 04:43 PM
C
ChadTRG42 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
Sometimes I carry a thermal scope pulled off my rifle to see when walking to the deer stand. It works great. I do not like to use a flash light, unless absolutely needed.

[Linked Image]
Custom and Precision Ammunition!!
https://DallasReloads.com/
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: Walking to the stand in the dark [Re: Cherokee Mingan] #7249409 08/08/18 06:45 PM
F
Flashprism Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
F
Often walked in pitch black dark to my stands to hunt. Sometimes in excess of a mile. Can say there times the hair stood up on the back of my neck when unknown critters crashed away in the dark. Especially un nerving when all you have is a bow!!!!

Re: Walking to the stand in the dark [Re: Choctaw] #7249760 08/09/18 01:03 AM
T
TXHOGSLAYER Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: Choctaw
I ain't scared of the dark. But walking through spider webs in the dark.i don't know how I've not beaten myself black and blue trying to kill spiders that may or may not be on my face.

Yes sir, me too. I'll turn into a nancy boy PDQ if I have spiders on me. Otherwise, I'm not worried because I'm at the top of the food chain.

So...in your world spiders are at the top of the food chain? grin

LETS GO BRANDON
Re: Walking to the stand in the dark [Re: TXHOGSLAYER] #7252012 08/11/18 11:39 AM
S
Stub Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER
Originally Posted By: Dalroo

Will say, many years ago I flushed a large covey of quail about an hour before light. That was ... startling.

Been there, done that. Sure will wake you up... grin

I miss those days and the quail.

I walk about 300 yards, no problem wide road and not in the middle of nowhere.

Last edited by Stub; 08/11/18 11:40 AM.

texas flag

Re: Walking to the stand in the dark [Re: Cherokee Mingan] #7253002 08/12/18 01:41 PM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
Just remember, woodcock never flush in the dark unless they’re in the presence of Bigfoot. So if it happens to you, he’s right behind you.

Re: Walking to the stand in the dark [Re: TXHOGSLAYER] #7253177 08/12/18 05:29 PM
C
Choctaw Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C

Yes, yes they are!! eeks333

Re: Walking to the stand in the dark [Re: Bigfoot] #7253270 08/12/18 07:25 PM
Double Naught Spy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I think the scariest thing that ever has happened to me on the way to the stand was almost getting run down by a buck that was spooked and running away from the feeder down the trail I was on at twilight (which means it was very dark in the woods). Fortunately, the buck saw me and went around me, but I didn't see him until I got my light on after he went by me.

Originally Posted By: Capt.JVH
My fear is walking up on a skunk more than anything. If I see shadows moving or hear a noise I just hit it with the red light to see what it is.

Right, my wife says I can't come home if I have been sprayed by a skunk, LOL.

Trust me dont read them! I hunt near stubblefield campground and the amount of sightings in that area is incredible. How can all of these people be making stuff up?

Pretty much the same way for ghosts, UFOs, alien abductions, Nessy, Champ, etc. etc. etc. They want to believe. https://www.livescience.com/5046-monsters-ghosts-gods.html

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Walking to the stand in the dark [Re: Cherokee Mingan] #7253306 08/12/18 08:39 PM
G
GusWayne Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
G
One of my spots is a little over 200 acres on the red river.

It's not uncommon to see 20,30 different hogs.

In groups of 2,5,10 and single boar, 12, etc

I HATE leaving the evening hunt while I know there are several groups around me or blocking my trail back.

This is a common pic up there, I'm covered up. I could kill hogs every hunt and NEVER make a dent.

It's my boogie man

Re: Walking to the stand in the dark [Re: GusWayne] #7253356 08/12/18 09:45 PM
D
Deerhunter61 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Originally Posted By: procraft05

I HATE leaving the evening hunt while I know there are several groups around me or blocking my trail back.

This is a common pic up there, I'm covered up. I could kill hogs every hunt and NEVER make a dent.

It's my boogie man

Wow! Definitely a target rich environment!

I walk a mile to my stand but it's not a bad walk as most of it is along a dirt road. I've walked the woods in ETX for years hunting and there were definitely times when the heart would start racing because of the sounds.

Re: Walking to the stand in the dark [Re: Choctaw] #7253422 08/12/18 11:16 PM
T
TXHOGSLAYER Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T

Yes, yes they are!! eeks333

roflmao

LETS GO BRANDON
Re: Walking to the stand in the dark [Re: Deerhunter61] #7253608 08/13/18 01:40 AM
G
GusWayne Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
G
Originally Posted By: Deerhunter61

It's my boogie man

I walk a mile to my stand but it's not a bad walk as most of it is along a dirt road. I've walked the woods in ETX for years hunting and there were definitely times when the heart would start racing because of the sounds.

Target rich it is, Ive shot many. Quiet in and out, I work hard to keep it that way.

But especially during the rut, I WILL NOT pull the trigger on a hog.

We've owned this property for about 12 years. The hogs are about like ants, it's unreal.

Re: Walking to the stand in the dark [Re: GusWayne] #7253695 08/13/18 03:06 AM
K
KWood_TSU Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
K
Originally Posted By: Deerhunter61

It's my boogie man

Target rich it is, Ive shot many. Quiet in and out, I work hard to keep it that way.

But especially during the rut, I WILL NOT pull the trigger on a hog.

We've owned this property for about 12 years. The hogs are about like ants, it's unreal.

You could wipe out 2-3 a sit with a bow.

Amat Victoria Curam - Victory Loves Preparation
Re: Walking to the stand in the dark [Re: Cherokee Mingan] #7253995 08/13/18 02:57 PM
W
whitetail85 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
W
Ever walked under a bunch of roosting turkey? I have. Thought the world was ending.

Re: Walking to the stand in the dark [Re: whitetail85] #7253996 08/13/18 02:59 PM
U
unclebubba Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
U
Originally Posted By: whitetail85
Ever walked under a bunch of roosting turkey? I have. Thought the world was ending.
My dad and sister did when she was about 11. That one still makes for a good campfire story. LOL.

Re: Walking to the stand in the dark [Re: whitetail85] #7255434 08/14/18 05:20 PM
P
PMK Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted By: whitetail85

ha, I was out coon hunting one night, shot one that stuck up in a big pecan tree, I crawled up about 12-15 feet high to retrieve the stuck coon when the whole dang tree exploded with flapping all around my head ... it was a turkey roost with a couple dozen all around me. I am surprised I didn't fall out. definitely got my attention

"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Re: Walking to the stand in the dark [Re: Cherokee Mingan] #7255469 08/14/18 05:50 PM
W
Wytex Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
W
Get a green led clip light for your cap brim. Doesn't spook game and lets you see where you're going. We use them to get back into prime elk country sometimes a mile from the road. Have to get an early start to get to the good country before daylight.
Pretty weird to walk right up on bedded game or shine some big eyes with them while walking in.

Re: Walking to the stand in the dark [Re: Cherokee Mingan] #7255625 08/14/18 08:07 PM
Gringocazador Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Covey of quail will just about cause heart failure.

Freakin pack of Javelina running between my legs leaving my stand at my lease in Webb country back in the late 80's just about scared me to death. Dang blind a...ss Javelina's running into me and between my legs.........I was jumpy for a couple of weeks after that.

Thanks, Billy
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide