BDB Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: Duck_Hunter
Originally Posted By: Guy
Originally Posted By: Duck_Hunter
Seems like a silly law

What’s the rational for the law? I understand if the vehicle is running, otherwise it makes no sense. Should be like hunting out of a boat.

Agree. If I sit on the tailgate while the truck is off and clearly parked for the hunt, how is that different than if I throw a camping chair next to the tailgate and hunt from that.

There are a lot of hunting laws that are nonsensical and favor authority. Some wardens apply common sense to such situations; others use it as a bludgeon to look into everything and issue tickets for similarly silly laws. It happens on all levels of law enforcement.

The difference is tied up into revenue generating. As my brother-in-law...a high ranking LEO (chief) in a major DFW suburb put it "we need the people to brake petty laws so we can generate money"

So its back to playing in other peoples ballpark. Speeding, not wearing seat belt, tags/registration, insurance , rolling thru a light at 2am with nobody around for miles etc.... you have to do those things right as you are playing by rules you cannot control. There is no difference than shooting a bird off your parked trucks tailgate and a chair 2ft away....but your playing in others playground.

Last edited by BDB; 08/08/18 12:59 PM.
Re: Hunting From The Tailgate [Re: Txduckman] #7250323 08/09/18 03:39 PM
E
ErnestTBass Offline
Tracker
Tracker
E
Sitting on the tailgate of a parked truck while shooting is illegal?

That's stupid. It provides no benefit, and I don't do it because it provides no benefit. But that's a stupid rule.

Re: Hunting From The Tailgate [Re: Txduckman] #7250400 08/09/18 05:05 PM
S
snake oil Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Can't shoot off the tailgate of a Mule or Ranger either!

"You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas".
Re: Hunting From The Tailgate [Re: ErnestTBass] #7250611 08/09/18 08:26 PM
W
wal1809 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Originally Posted By: ErnestTBass
Sitting on the tailgate of a parked truck while shooting is illegal?

That's stupid. It provides no benefit, and I don't do it because it provides no benefit. But that's a stupid rule.

There are plenty of benefits. The beer cooler is 200 pounds plus. Leave it in the bed, sit on the gate. High speed low drag!

Re: Hunting From The Tailgate [Re: Txduckman] #7250756 08/09/18 10:40 PM
J
jnd59 Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
J
Can't answer this question without defining what a motor-driven vehicle is. Its probably self-evident as they would have said "moving" vehicle if they intended the law to be a limited to non-stationary vehicles. As an aside, if you remove the motor you are no longer a motor driven vehicle. Problem solved! Also, it appears from this section of the law that you could hunt dove from a tricycle. As far as parking across from where you hunt, I don't think that is concentrating birds as they have the option to move in any direction. They are not limited to moving towards you.

No matter how high a duck flies a hammer still breaks a window.
Re: Hunting From The Tailgate [Re: Txduckman] #7250780 08/09/18 11:06 PM
T
Txduckman Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
My new legal setup.

Re: Hunting From The Tailgate [Re: Txduckman] #7250831 08/09/18 11:47 PM
R
rickym Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
clap

Re: Hunting From The Tailgate [Re: Txduckman] #7252474 08/11/18 08:10 PM
S
Slow Drifter Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
My opinion, for what little it's worth, on laws like this is that they give the warden latitude to write a ticket if someone is being an a-hole. I think many laws, especially game laws, are both very specific, "From a motor driven vehicle," and vague, as in this discussion, so as to provide the officer that latitude. As far as stationary vs. non-stationary, that's clarified in the paraplegic/amputee clause. Only they may hunt from a non-stationary motor driven vehicle. Just my take on it.

As for the "pop up, shoot, sit back down on the tailgate," scenario. If you're sitting in a deer stand with a rifle are you not hunting until you pull the trigger? It could be argued that until I saw those dove fly over I was just bird watching with a shotgun in my lap. Then I decided to hunt, so I stood up.

edited: Just to change "your" to "you're."

Last edited by Slow Drifter; 08/11/18 08:15 PM.

"I have no idea what WW-III will be fought with, but WW-IV will be fought with sticks and stones."

A. Einstein

Re: Hunting From The Tailgate [Re: Txduckman] #7252533 08/11/18 09:18 PM
Grizz Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
The rub for me on this law, like the baiting law, is that TPWD could easily clarify the law to take out almost all of the interpretation. It would be very simple to amend the law to specify that the definition of hunting from a vehicle does not include the vehicle being parked at the edge of the field with no one in the cab. Personally, I don't like my truck being parked near where I'm hunting, but the law still needs to be tightened up for people who do like to sit on their tailgates while hunting. I see nothing wrong with that.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Re: Hunting From The Tailgate [Re: Grizz] #7252545 08/11/18 09:30 PM
D
ducknbass Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted By: Grizz
The rub for me on this law, like the baiting law, is that TPWD could easily clarify the law to take out almost all of the interpretation. It would be very simple to amend the law to specify that the definition of hunting from a vehicle does not include the vehicle being parked at the edge of the field with no one in the cab. Personally, I don't like my truck being parked near where I'm hunting, but the law still needs to be tightened up for people who do like to sit on their tailgates while hunting. I see nothing wrong with that.

It's a federal law. Pretty much everything migratory is federal and are part of an old multi nation treaty.

Re: Hunting From The Tailgate [Re: ducknbass] #7252560 08/11/18 09:51 PM
Grizz Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: ducknbass
Originally Posted By: Grizz

It's a federal law. Pretty much everything migratory is federal and are part of an old multi nation treaty.

Based on my experience dealing with the feds, that would explain the foundation of the badly worded law. However I still believe the definition could be cleared up by the feds very easily if they would just do it. I absolutely understand the intent behind the law, but I don't think that intent includes sitting on the tailgate of an unoccupied truck on the edge of a sunflower field.
I'm obviously a big LE supporter, but I've also been in the business long enough to know there are just some officers who don't need that much interpretation ability.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Re: Hunting From The Tailgate [Re: Txduckman] #7252785 08/12/18 02:17 AM
H
hoof n wings Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
Originally Posted By: Txduckman
It is clearly or unclearly (since it doesn't say make of pickup and butt position) stated in the regulations you cannot even touch a vehicle when pulling the trigger as that would be "hunting from it". Stirring up birds is

What if I jump up in the air when I shot a volley lol35

Originally Posted by ImTheReasonDovesMourn
I'd ask him if he's pregnant. He missed a s__tload of periods.

Originally Posted by Hancock
I'll take "things that look like a uterus" for $200 Alex.
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide