6115393 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#7246791 - 08/06/18 09:54 AM Hunting From The Tailgate
Txduckman Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: Big D
Who shoots dove while sitting on the tailgate? While technically illegal, apparantly many still do according to the GW thread. Personally I have seen a couple guys out of hundreds actually sit on the tailgate so pretty sure it is not too common. Plus it is not comfortable to shoot from and provides no shade. I like full range of motion if birds are flying. Birds flare after a few days of shooting anyway.

I am not going to debate leaning on a tailgate, which is technically illegal as well but that would be about impossible to prove and a hard position to shoot all your birds from.

#7246819 - 08/06/18 10:20 AM Re: Hunting From The Tailgate [Re: Txduckman]
TLew Online   content
Woodsman

I'm lazy but not that lazy. I pull down a chair and set it by the tail light. Let's me keep my cooler in the bed, I can switch sides based on sun/shade, and my dog is at my side where he is supposed to be.

#7246829 - 08/06/18 10:28 AM Re: Hunting From The Tailgate [Re: Txduckman]
krmitchell Online   content
Veteran Tracker

Sometimes I do, sometimes I shoot from a chair. A lot of times we sit in the back end of the Polaris under a tree. Depends on the setup and how/where we are hunting. I’ve always read that law to mean you can’t be driving around shooting birds/chasing them. That makes sense and is what I would consider “hunting from a vehicle”.. I see zero benefit from “sitting” on your tailgate while hunting so I’m not sure why the law would be interpreted as hunting from a vehicle if that is all you’re doing.

Edited by krmitchell (08/06/18 10:29 AM)

#7246855 - 08/06/18 10:45 AM Re: Hunting From The Tailgate [Re: Txduckman]
mattyg06 Online   content
Pro Tracker

What about parking your truck/vehicle across the field from where you are hunting? I have always thought birds flared when hunting to close to a vehicle so I park the truck away from me as not to flare the birds away from my location. But technically this could be construed as 'concentrating' birds which would technically be illegal since the birds would be flaring away from the location I left my truck, in the part of the field I am not hunting.

Quote:
It is unlawful to use motor-driven land, water or air conveyances or sailboats to concentrate, drive, rally or stir up any migratory game bird.

#7246878 - 08/06/18 10:57 AM Re: Hunting From The Tailgate [Re: Txduckman]
THF Celebrity

It is clearly or unclearly (since it doesn't say make of pickup and butt position) stated in the regulations you cannot even touch a vehicle when pulling the trigger as that would be "hunting from it". Stirring up birds is right below it. Few outfitters I have been with make it clear to not be sitting on the tailgate if fed GW shows up. You can google it and find other discussions about it and tickets issued.

"It is unlawful to hunt from or by means of motor-driven vehicles and land conveyances or aircraft of any kind except paraplegics and single or double amputees of legs may hunt from stationary motor-driven vehicles or land conveyances. It is unlawful to use motor-driven land, water or air conveyances or sailboats to concentrate, drive, rally or stir up any migratory game bird."

https://tpwd.texas.gov/regulations/outdoor-annual/hunting/migratory-game-bird-regulations/methods

#7246882 - 08/06/18 11:07 AM Re: Hunting From The Tailgate [Re: Txduckman]
Veteran Tracker

It isn't clear at all, and there is zero mention of "touching" your vehicle. It says hunting "from", so what the definition of "from" is can be debated. Maybe this would be a good question to reach out to TPWD via email and ask them. Have them go on record of what is and what isn't hunting "from" your vehicle. I've done this a few times regarding spikes, and other questions I had that I wanted clarified. I can almost guarantee you they aren't going to say if you are simply touching your vehicle you are hunting "from" it. I think you have a better argument if you are sitting in the bed in lawn chairs or on a cooler rather than leaning against it but I'm guessing that would vary from warden to warden.

Edited by krmitchell (08/06/18 11:11 AM)

#7246929 - 08/06/18 12:01 PM Re: Hunting From The Tailgate [Re: Txduckman]
Herbie Hancock Online   content
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Cypress, Texas
There was an episode of Lonestar Law where one of the wardens shot an antelope from the passenger seat of a pick up on private lands. I remember him talking about it being legal because it wasn't from a road. Why would it be different for migratory game birds vs. fur-bearing animals? I need to try and find that episode.

#7246945 - 08/06/18 12:10 PM Re: Hunting From The Tailgate [Re: TLew]
bobcat1 Online   content
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Sanger, Texas
Originally Posted By: TLew
I'm lazy but not that lazy. I pull down a chair and set it by the tail light. Let's me keep my cooler in the bed, I can switch sides based on sun/shade, and my dog is at my side where he is supposed to be.
Ditto

#7246958 - 08/06/18 12:24 PM Re: Hunting From The Tailgate [Re: Herbie Hancock]
Veteran Tracker

Originally Posted By: Herbie Hancock
There was an episode of Lonestar Law where one of the wardens shot an antelope from the passenger seat of a pick up on private lands. I remember him talking about it being legal because it wasn't from a road. Why would it be different for migratory game birds vs. fur-bearing animals? I need to try and find that episode.

The distinction is that there in no prohibition on hunting deer/antelope/hogs, etc. from a vehicle on private land.

Migratory birds it specifically outlines no hunting from a vehicle.

#7246960 - 08/06/18 12:26 PM Re: Hunting From The Tailgate [Re: Txduckman]
THF Celebrity

This law is specific to migratory birds only and is Federal law. It is not a state law. Feds don't regulate deer and antelope hunting.

https://www.fws.gov/le/hunter-responsibility.html

#7246963 - 08/06/18 12:28 PM Re: Hunting From The Tailgate [Re: krmitchell]
Herbie Hancock Online   content
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Cypress, Texas
Originally Posted By: krmitchell
Originally Posted By: Herbie Hancock

The distinction is that there in no prohibition on hunting deer/antelope/hogs, etc. from a vehicle on private land.

Migratory birds it specifically outlines no hunting from a vehicle.

Thanks.

#7247545 - 08/06/18 08:02 PM Re: Hunting From The Tailgate [Re: Txduckman]
Duck_Hunter Online   content
THF Trophy Hunter

Seems like a silly law, but I wouldn’t do it anyway.

#7247566 - 08/06/18 08:21 PM Re: Hunting From The Tailgate [Re: Duck_Hunter]
Guy Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: Lake X
Originally Posted By: Duck_Hunter
Seems like a silly law

What’s the rational for the law? I understand if the vehicle is running, otherwise it makes no sense. Should be like hunting out of a boat.

#7247590 - 08/06/18 08:38 PM Re: Hunting From The Tailgate [Re: Guy]
Veteran Tracker

Originally Posted By: Guy
Originally Posted By: Duck_Hunter
Seems like a silly law

What’s the rational for the law? I understand if the vehicle is running, otherwise it makes no sense. Should be like hunting out of a boat.

Yep, agreed. What is the difference between a tailgate of a parked truck/UTV and a chair 1 foot away.

#7247646 - 08/06/18 09:32 PM Re: Hunting From The Tailgate [Re: Txduckman]
THF Celebrity

Safety??? Guy on our lease has a tailgate that will fall if you step on it. Lol. grin

I would say having guys ride in bed while someone else drives it to stir up birds and guys in back shoot? So they just made a one size fits all law possibly eliminate all hunting from a vehicle and not argue if they were driving birds or not. I was checked up in Grayson and a kid was driving a 4 wheeler stirring up birds. He got a talking too and hunters were pissed at the kid.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© 2004-2018 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide