Forum Stats
63891 Members
45 Forums
419021 Topics
6072871 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#7246780 - 08/06/18 09:47 AM McAlester Army Ammunition Plant (Okla)
Bissett Offline
Woodsman

Loc: Broken Arrow, OK
Anybody on here ever get drawn into this hunt? I put in for the first time and got drawn into the Boggy area for Oct 19-21. I'm super pumped about it. This place is a legend around here. Just check out their facebook page or do a quick google search and you'll see home of the bucks that live here. 46,000 acres and they only draw out about 1200 hunters a year with success rate for bucks around 6% (from the research I've done). Doesn't sound like great odds for dropping one but you have a chance at seeing the biggest buck of your lifetime at this place.

The catch is that this is a primitive style hunt. Recurve bows only with no sights, range finders, binoculars, etc. I got me a Hoyt Dorado I've been shooting around around and plan to shoot a few arrows a night leading up to the hunt. First year shooting a recurve so it should be fun.

Hope it works out for me!

#7246857 - 08/06/18 10:46 AM Re: McAlester Army Ammunition Plant (Okla) [Re: Bissett]
landsurveyor Offline
Extreme Tracker

Loc: Annetta TX
I did a bunch of survey work there back in the 90's. VERY impressive bucks roam that place. Good luck on your hunt

www.prospectlandsurveying.com

#7246928 - 08/06/18 12:01 PM Re: McAlester Army Ammunition Plant (Okla) [Re: Bissett]
maximus_flavius Offline
Tracker

Only recurves, no sights? No wonder there’s only a 6% success rate. I bet there’s 100s of gut shot & wounded deer everywhere out there.

#7246965 - 08/06/18 12:30 PM Re: McAlester Army Ammunition Plant (Okla) [Re: Bissett]
Txduckman Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: Big D
Can you use an atlatl??

#7246998 - 08/06/18 12:49 PM Re: McAlester Army Ammunition Plant (Okla) [Re: Bissett]
BOBO the Clown Online   content
decoy

Loc: Metroplex
Got few family members that have hunted it. One of the best public draw areas to hunt whitetails in the lower 48. Probably the best chance of killing a 180 plus deer in the country

#7247005 - 08/06/18 12:52 PM Re: McAlester Army Ammunition Plant (Okla) [Re: maximus_flavius]
BOBO the Clown Online   content
decoy

Loc: Metroplex
Originally Posted By: maximus_flavius
Only recurves, no sights? No wonder there’s only a 6% success rate. I bet there’s 100s of gut shot & wounded deer everywhere out there.

Easy there are some trad guys on this forum that can make 95% of the compound guys ground check thier bows.

#7247006 - 08/06/18 12:52 PM Re: McAlester Army Ammunition Plant (Okla) [Re: Bissett]
Smokey Bear Online   content
Tracker

Loc: Texas
I went to high school at McAlester in the '70's. I have hunted the place several times. Both as a standby, and a drawn hunter. They would give us a half day to scout. Then drop us off well before light in the morning and pick you up after dark at designated rendezvous locations. There were phones marked on the map, dispersed all through the place. If you took a deer, you walked to a phone and called in your location. Someone would be along to pick you up shortly. Your excitement is well founded. It is a special place. While you are in the area, go to Krebs, and check out either Petes Place or Roseanne's for Italian food and Chalk beer. You will thank me for that one.

#7247052 - 08/06/18 01:27 PM Re: McAlester Army Ammunition Plant (Okla) [Re: Smokey Bear]
Bissett Offline
Woodsman

Originally Posted By: Smokey Bear
I went to high school at McAlester in the '70's. I have hunted the place several times. Both as a standby, and a drawn hunter. They would give us a half day to scout. Then drop us off well before light in the morning and pick you up after dark at designated rendezvous locations. There were phones marked on the map, dispersed all through the place. If you took a deer, you walked to a phone and called in your location. Someone would be along to pick you up shortly. Your excitement is well founded. It is a special place. While you are in the area, go to Krebs, and check out either Petes Place or Roseanne's for Italian food and Chalk beer. You will thank me for that one.

I'm more of a Giacomo's fan myself. Love their steaks and family style dining. Can't go wrong with any of those places though! My grandparents moved from Broken Arrow to Lake Eufaula a few years ago so that's our go-to for special occasions

#7247099 - 08/06/18 02:04 PM Re: McAlester Army Ammunition Plant (Okla) [Re: Bissett]
Smokey Bear Online   content
Tracker

Yup. No argument from me about the dining at Giacomo's. I grew up with friends from each family. Good luck at the AAP! Back in the day, Pete's was the place to take your best girl, and dine in one of the private dining rooms.

Edited by Smokey Bear (08/06/18 02:12 PM)

#7247135 - 08/06/18 02:30 PM Re: McAlester Army Ammunition Plant (Okla) [Re: Smokey Bear]
Bissett Offline
Woodsman

Originally Posted By: Smokey Bear
Yup. No argument from me about the dining at Giacomo's. I grew up with friends from each family. Good luck at the AAP! Back in the day, Pete's was the place to take your best girl, and dine in one of the private dining rooms.

Funny story about that actually that my father in law told me recently. He was driving through McAlester coming hack home from installing some cabinets at a jobsite so he decided to stop there and buy his installer lunch. They didn't know it ahead of time and were a bit surprised when they were seated in one of the private rooms hahah. I'm sure they had a nice meal together lol

#7247774 - 08/07/18 05:09 AM Re: McAlester Army Ammunition Plant (Okla) [Re: Bissett]
Gamblinman Offline
Tracker

Loc: Yantis, TX
Shot a deer of a lifetime there many years ago. Just over a fence, could see him on the ground and they told me "Sorry, we can't enter that area to recover the deer." I spoke with everyone I could to no avail. I'm sure my rack is on some colonels wall, or in a pile somewhere. I've also turkey hunted there in the spring. They won't let you keep the sheds you find.

" I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt turkeys because I have to."

#7248145 - 08/07/18 11:28 AM Re: McAlester Army Ammunition Plant (Okla) [Re: Gamblinman]
Bissett Offline
Woodsman

Originally Posted By: Gamblinman
Shot a deer of a lifetime there many years ago. Just over a fence, could see him on the ground and they told me "Sorry, we can't enter that area to recover the deer." I spoke with everyone I could to no avail. I'm sure my rack is on some colonels wall, or in a pile somewhere. I've also turkey hunted there in the spring. They won't let you keep the sheds you find.

Man that would be a tough pill to swallow. Sounds like they don't make too many exceptions over there lol.

#7248469 - 08/07/18 04:03 PM Re: McAlester Army Ammunition Plant (Okla) [Re: Bissett]
tShawnB Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: Forney
Originally Posted By: Bissett

Man that would be a tough pill to swallow. Sounds like they don't make too many exceptions over there lol.

Yeah, I wouldn't have swallowed it.

#7248510 - 08/07/18 04:54 PM Re: McAlester Army Ammunition Plant (Okla) [Re: Gamblinman]
maximus_flavius Offline
Tracker

Sounds like a waste of game, on their part.

#7248525 - 08/07/18 05:13 PM Re: McAlester Army Ammunition Plant (Okla) [Re: Bissett]
kmon1 Online   content
junior

You can also use a long bow on these hunts. Worked some with one hunter that had been drawn for a hunt there. He had not shot trad other than as a kid. He got his buck with I think he said 18 yard shot.

RULES for using the TRADING POST
http://texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbth..._PO#Post6605808

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© 2004-2018 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide