Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Baiting Question [Re: PoppinPiggies] #7248320 08/07/18 06:26 PM
Wildphilhickup Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker

"hunt migratory birds with the aid of bait, or on or over any baited area
hunt over any baited area until 10 days after all baiting materials have been removed"

I know a guy that dug out part of his land about 3 feet deep, creating dikes all around it. He planted a bunch of stuff in the Spring. He never harvested it. Just left it there. In the fall he flooded that area. It was GREAT for Duck Hunting, and he was never accused of baiting. grin

MILL CREEK HONEY BEE FARM, LLC
millcreekhoneybeefarm @yahoo.com
Re: Baiting Question [Re: Nitro27] #7248349 08/07/18 07:10 PM
J
john paul Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
Originally Posted By: Nitro27
Forget about the feeders. The best time to plant your winter wheat is in about two weeks. No doves will be around your feeders. Problem solved

You will need to check with your local ag extension on when the earliest date you can put in a winter grazing plot is. For example, in Jefferson County, Texas, it is like the 14th of September. Therefore if I put in a winter grazing plot on our property in the central zone in the 3rd week of August and hunted over the broadcasted seed on September 1 it would be considered baiting. If I put in a winter grazing plot on September 20 on my central zone stuff and hunted over the broadcasted seed it would be considered baiting because dove season had already started. Now since the south zone starts September 20 or something around there, I could put in a winter grazing plot on the 14th and hunt over the broadcasted seed because it falls under a normal agricultural practice.

I looked into this about 5 years ago and I believe that is how that process works...

Originally Posted by garrett
I'm with GK because I like salty old dudes.
Re: Baiting Question [Re: Wildphilhickup] #7248351 08/07/18 07:13 PM
J
john paul Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
Originally Posted By: Wildphilhickup

"hunt migratory birds with the aid of bait, or on or over any baited area
hunt over any baited area until 10 days after all baiting materials have been removed"

I know a guy that dug out part of his land about 3 feet deep, creating dikes all around it. He planted a bunch of stuff in the Spring. He never harvested it. Just left it there. In the fall he flooded that area. It was GREAT for Duck Hunting, and he was never accused of baiting. grin

Planting and flooding as long as the crop is not manipulated is 100% legal.

Originally Posted by garrett
I'm with GK because I like salty old dudes.
Re: Baiting Question [Re: Stompy] #7248504 08/07/18 09:49 PM
T
TX Hitman Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
Originally Posted By: Stompy
My GW told me to keep my guys 150 yards away from active corn feeders.
He also told me the distance is up to each GW's discretion.

Depends on the GW. I have a feeder that is about 300yds away. In WTX, it's just right over there. I let it run out in August because I have a tank that I dove hunt over...Don't want any issues. Especially since we are getting a rookie GW this year.

Re: Baiting Question [Re: PoppinPiggies] #7249543 08/08/18 08:48 PM
Grizz Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I understand the intent of the law and the reason for keeping it somewhat vague. What I have a huge problem with is TPWD leaving the term "intentionally or knowingly" out of the wording of the statute. With this type of violation it's impossible to truly have an offense if the person doesn't know someone is baiting a field on another property. I support the heck out of our game wardens, but IMO this law is absolutely overreaching and unreasonable on the state's part.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Re: Baiting Question [Re: Herbie Hancock] #7249574 08/08/18 09:21 PM
J
jeffbird Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J
Originally Posted By: Herbie Hancock
A hunter may not:

hunt migratory birds with the aid of bait, or on or over any baited area
hunt over any baited area until 10 days after all baiting materials have been removed

Very very gray of what it means over a baited area with it being a deer feeder. I would be far from that feeder, since it would be hard proving it's been turned off for 10 days.

When not defined by law as in this instance, then whether the hunter was hunting with the aid of bait is a question to be answered by a jury.

With most things in life, if you have to think twice about whether it is ok or not, the answer usually is NOT.

Re: Baiting Question [Re: PoppinPiggies] #7250167 08/09/18 01:21 PM
P
passthru Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
And yet if you have the only water source around for two miles it's perfectly legal to hunt over it.

I work hard, drink a little and hunt when I can.
NRA Life Member
https://sofalasafaris.com/
Re: Baiting Question [Re: PoppinPiggies] #7250181 08/09/18 01:37 PM
garrett Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
if you have to ask if a situation falls into the baiting category I suggest you lock the gate behind you. That way when the GW shows up and writes you a ticket at least you made him/her hike all the way in, that will supply some satisfaction.

and dont cave and give them a ride back to the gate, they can walk back up

Attention rickym, this is not a troll post, just a good hearted fun type of post
Re: Baiting Question [Re: PoppinPiggies] #7250239 08/09/18 02:34 PM
onlysmith&wesson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Yes, for a jury to decide if it comes down to it. GW's can write tickets all day long, doesn't mean you're guilty. I've never had an issue with a GW, but I wonder how likely a DA would be to take a case to court on something like a dove being shot in proximity to a deer feeder. DA's don't like to take cases to court and loose, they get elected based on win/loss. I'd bet a DA would toss it.

But then again, you can beat the wrap, but not the ride.

The GW's I've known were pretty good at knowing your intent and responding accordingly. Have you seen the spotting scopes some of these officers use?

An unethical shot is one you take, that you know you shouldn't.
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide