Re: What to do with Game Wardens. [Re: Choctaw] #7243906 08/03/18 01:26 PM
D
ducknbass Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted By: Choctaw
Originally Posted By: ducknbass
The idea that you don't touch your shotgun while being checked by the warden is crazy. You've clearly never been checked by one in the field. they go from group to group and everyone hunts until they are talking with the man.

I've been checked multiple times (since 1974). As a law enforcement officer I am simply showing another law enforcement officer professional courtesy. Stop assuming about something you know nothing about.

Good luck with that.

Re: What to do with Game Wardens. [Re: ducknbass] #7243951 08/03/18 02:04 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Just think about how ignorant the law is that they’re “enforcing”. Yes, the plug in shotguns law. I’d bet a lot of money they write vastly more tickets for that than any other violation. Virtually all the posts on this thread concern that ignorant law. .

If they spent as much time and resources on the violations that provide value (catching poachers), then they’d have my respect.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: What to do with Game Wardens. [Re: therancher] #7243996 08/03/18 02:32 PM
B
BigPig Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted By: therancher
Just think about how ignorant the law is that they’re “enforcing”. Yes, the plug in shotguns law. I’d bet a lot of money they write vastly more tickets for that than any other violation. Virtually all the posts on this thread concern that ignorant law. .

If they spent as much time and resources on the violations that provide value (catching poachers), then they’d have my respect.

Just like if cops stopped enforcing speeding laws, they could catch real criminals. rolleyes

Re: What to do with Game Wardens. [Re: nate33] #7244033 08/03/18 02:49 PM
H
Hunt Dog Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
H
Never really had a problem with State Game Wardens. I just show them my Lifetime Combo License, than a couple questions later it's 'Have a nice day'.

Now Federal Fish and Game guys are a different story. They go out of their way to be jerks.

Re: What to do with Game Wardens. [Re: therancher] #7244036 08/03/18 02:50 PM
C
Choctaw Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted By: therancher

I'm sure they have hard time sleeping at night knowing you have a such a lack of respect for them.

Re: What to do with Game Wardens. [Re: nate33] #7244088 08/03/18 03:39 PM
C
ChrisB Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
I've never laid my shotgun in the dirt while waiting to be checked. I always stop shooting, unload my gun, get my license out and keep my weapon pointed in a safe direction. Never had any trouble while hunting. Now I've had a few rude encounters with a red headed game warden on lake fork but never received a ticket.

Re: What to do with Game Wardens. [Re: Hunt Dog] #7244089 08/03/18 03:42 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: Hunt Dog
Never really had a problem with State Game Wardens. I just show them my Lifetime Combo License, than a couple questions later it's 'Have a nice day'.

Now Federal Fish and Game guys are a different story. They go out of their way to be jerks.

I've only had one encounter with Federal Fish and Game officers and it was very positive despite being given a citation for hunting what the landowner thought was a legal field for hunting doves. Everyone left that day with a clear and courteous understanding of what constitutes a baited field. We went out the next weekend and hunted a soybean field that had been recently harvested knowing it was completely legal.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: What to do with Game Wardens. [Re: Texas Dan] #7244090 08/03/18 03:47 PM
T
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: Texas Dan

I've only had one encounter with Federal Fish and Game officers and it was very positive despite being given a citation for hunting what the landowner thought was a legal field for hunting doves. Everyone left that day with a clear and courteous understanding of what constitutes a baited field.

What did the LO do to bait?

Re: What to do with Game Wardens. [Re: Txduckman] #7244102 08/03/18 03:54 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: Txduckman
Originally Posted By: Texas Dan

I've only had one encounter with Federal Fish and Game officers and it was very positive despite being given a citation for hunting what the landowner thought was a legal field for hunting doves. Everyone left that day with a clear and courteous understanding of what constitutes a baited field.

What did the LO do to bait?

There was no evidence the field had been prepared using "normal agricultural practices". The landowner thought that because he had disked his field before spreading seed, it would be legal. There was more evidence that he was using seed for bait than for planting a cover crop, which would have been a normal agricultural practice. The officer went so far to say that having cattle on the field to eat the seed would have probably been enough to make it legal. It was an open, un-fenced field with no livestock on it.

I've seen guys hunt doves over cattle feed lots, which by definition, constitute a normal agricultural practice.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: What to do with Game Wardens. [Re: nate33] #7244130 08/03/18 04:19 PM
S
snake oil Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Evidently Ya'll haven't run into Bill Jones the biggest azzhole in the business. Was in Palo Pinto County.

"You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas".
Re: What to do with Game Wardens. [Re: ChrisB] #7244147 08/03/18 04:30 PM
D
ducknbass Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted By: ChrisB
I've never laid my shotgun in the dirt while waiting to be checked. I always stop shooting, unload my gun, get my license out and keep my weapon pointed in a safe direction. Never had any trouble while hunting. Now I've had a few rude encounters with a red headed game warden on lake fork but never received a ticket.

No no no Chris you're doing it wrong when the truck pulls up immediately drop your gun in the dirt, mud, water where ever you are standing. Then get on your belly.. or you've got no respect for the law. trout

Last edited by ducknbass; 08/03/18 04:30 PM.
Re: What to do with Game Wardens. [Re: Guy] #7244155 08/03/18 04:37 PM
T
TXHOGSLAYER Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: Guy
Originally Posted By: nate33
When a warden walks up to me in the field, as soon as I see him I unload my gun.

I been doing that for years. I have my gun unloaded and license out befor they get to me.

We were dove hunting once in a large group of adults and kids and the 2 GW's that came to check us told us to keep shooting while they checked everyone. up

LETS GO BRANDON
Re: What to do with Game Wardens. [Re: nate33] #7244156 08/03/18 04:37 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
I treat all law enforcement with respect, cops and game wardens the same. Never had a bad experience with either. Ive gotten my share of moving violations but that was my doing, never had a game violation.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: What to do with Game Wardens. [Re: redchevy] #7244164 08/03/18 04:43 PM
D
ducknbass Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted By: redchevy
I treat all law enforcement with respect, cops and game wardens the same. Never had a bad experience with either. Ive gotten my share of moving violations but that was my doing, never had a game violation.

Yeppers. Never ran across a rude game warden.

Re: What to do with Game Wardens. [Re: nate33] #7244171 08/03/18 04:48 PM
S
Sparta Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
I've always made it a point to reach out to the local game warden when I get on a new lease. We invite them out for a back strap dinner and get to know him. Our current GW has even come out to hunt with us. As a courtesy we call him when we plan on night hunting.

If I encounter a GW I've never met I'm always courteous and let him know if my gun is loaded. I follow his instructions and I've never had a problem.

I find if you treat the with respect you will get the same. Even if you end up getting a ticket. In that case you probably deserved it anyway.

Re: What to do with Game Wardens. [Re: nate33] #7244184 08/03/18 05:03 PM
T
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
I have never seen our GW in our county in 13 of hunting there. They find me everywhere else though dove hunting. All are very nice.

Re: What to do with Game Wardens. [Re: nate33] #7244206 08/03/18 05:24 PM
T
TLew Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
I treat LEOs and GWs the same as others have stated. They get respect until they don't deserve respect. The vast majority of them (>95%) deserve it, but there are always bad apples in the bunch. Two that come to mind, one from each bushel:
  • a LEO that was scouting a bunch of teenagers (5 to be precise) virtually hanging out of a Jeep. He decided to pull me over for running a stop sign when I had already seen him and did a very deliberate stop. I called him on it, he ran my license, and told me to have a nice day. In this case, it's ok to be on the hunt but don't come up with bs lies for excuses/PC.
  • a GW was doing a routine check, came up in his truck, and had already run my plates on my truck which was at the entrance. He jumped out of the truck, attitude in hand calling for me by my full name. I had left my DL in the truck but I gave him my CAC card which was on me. He decided to make a big deal about it, and upon asking him why he was in a hurry to look for me specifically, he told me to mind my own damn business Mr. <insert designation>.

Again, I'm always courteous and will remain that way until you show me you don't deserve it. At that point, I'll follow your instructions but you aren't going to have a happy camper to deal with during the stop or with your supervisor.

Re: What to do with Game Wardens. [Re: ducknbass] #7244213 08/03/18 05:38 PM
S
SnakeWrangler Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: ducknbass
Originally Posted By: redchevy

Yeppers. Never ran across a rude game warden.
Same here...

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: What to do with Game Wardens. [Re: nate33] #7244232 08/03/18 06:02 PM
S
Slimpickin Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
We've been checked a few times each season in Stephens County. The GW is a great guy; usually insist I keep shooting/hunting while he checks my hunting partner. No need to have a professional witness or observe my fine shooting skills. crying I politely decline and wait my turn with Shotgun unloaded.

Proverbs 27:17 As iron sharpens iron,
so one person sharpens another.
Re: What to do with Game Wardens. [Re: nate33] #7244240 08/03/18 06:10 PM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
I am respectful. I yes sir and no sir and don't make small talk. Same as with any other LEO I am questioned by.

Re: What to do with Game Wardens. [Re: nate33] #7244281 08/03/18 07:03 PM
R
rdhibbs Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
I invite our Game warden to all of our youth hunts, He makes it some times and some times he don't, He did the Game Warden interview for my Son and one other 4-H youth to get their Hunter Ed instructor class. I have intercepted their instructor packets and the Game Warden will present them at the 4-H Gold Star Banquet.

We had a mistake on a youth hunt last year, I felt the need to call him. I explained the situation to him when he got there and I took responsibility for the mistake. He considered the circumstances, and I got a Warning.

I consider this man to be a friend, but when he showed up to that hunt he was the Game Warden not my Friend (I expect no less). Our young hunters got a great lesson that day.

Now if he were to meet a combative individual I do believe he would not hesitate to do what ever necicary to do his job. I would not want to be on the receiving end of that.

Thank You
Robert

To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, right or wrong - is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.

Theodore Roosevelt
Re: What to do with Game Wardens. [Re: don k] #7244296 08/03/18 07:20 PM
Double Naught Spy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: don k
I am respectful. I yes sir and no sir and don't make small talk. Same as with any other LEO I am questioned by.

up

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: What to do with Game Wardens. [Re: Sparta] #7244347 08/03/18 08:24 PM
G
garyrapp55 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
G
Originally Posted By: Sparta
As a courtesy we call him when we plan on night hunting

Years ago when hogs got bad on our place I used to call the GW to let him know I'd be spotlighting for hogs. This was before lights and NV were used. First few times he said, "ok", then he told me respectfully not to call unless there was a problem. There hasn't been a GW on our property in over 30 years.

Re: What to do with Game Wardens. [Re: nate33] #7244402 08/03/18 09:34 PM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S
Usually they check my stuff then we shoot the chit for a few and then he goes on his way.

Re: What to do with Game Wardens. [Re: nate33] #7244419 08/03/18 09:46 PM
S
SouthWestIron Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
I'm a yes sir no sir individual as well. I've worked around LEOs in public safety now for over 21 years. Had one in Nolan county give me a ticket for failure to tag in the field even though I was still in the field and not at the ranch house just another feeder. It was a simple honest mistake. Shot 3 turkeys with my rifle in one setting and moved them and myself to another feeder where we were being picked up where I proceeded to fill out the tags. It was a 195 dollar ticket! I believe he wanted me to thank him for not writing me up for all 3 turkeys which I never did. Later when I was processing them. He started fondling everybody's side arm that was hunting that day and then he asked to check my license again. His reason? He stated I wanted to see if you had a "Super Combo" Which I in fact did. He was now just plain harassing me! Oh and all this started because the landowner "made a courtesy call to him to let him know we'd be going after hogs at night." I may be bitter because of the ticket I'll admit to that, but this guy left a rotten taste in my mouth!

Last edited by SouthWestIron; 08/03/18 09:47 PM.
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide