Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: How many animals you think.... [Re: txtrophy85] #7236375 07/26/18 06:24 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
No one is arguing the effectiveness of big bore sharps rifles.

I was more mentioning common black powder cartridges loaded in both rifles and pistols, muskets and muzzleloader rifles with round balls and heavy concial balls, low poundage bows Indians had, Etc.

No one can spin a topic more off course than the THF

Let’s discuss what BDC reticles the lipan apache would have preferred or whether or not Billy Dixon would have killed that Indian at twice the distance had he had a tikka in 6.5 creedmoor...

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: How many animals you think.... [Re: txtrophy85] #7236416 07/26/18 07:11 PM
J
jeffbird Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J
Originally Posted By: txtrophy85
No one is arguing the effectiveness of big bore sharps rifles.

I was more mentioning common black powder cartridges loaded in both rifles and pistols, muskets and muzzleloader rifles with round balls and heavy concial balls, low poundage bows Indians had, Etc.

No one can spin a topic more off course than the THF

Let’s discuss what BDC reticles the lipan apache would have preferred or whether or not Billy Dixon would have killed that Indian at twice the distance had he had a tikka in 6.5 creedmoor...

What are you talking about? Addressed your question directly on point with a simple photo.

Sorry it was not the answer you were looking for.

Here is your original post. Nothing about Indians with bows and arrows.

Were wounded and lost prior to modern smokeless powder cartridges?

Was thinking about this yesterday. I bet there were a ton of animals wounded and lost due to inaccurate rifles, low energy, poor bullets, lack of practice with the weapon, etc

The photo is in the time period asked about. The rifles back then had all the power and accuracy needed to kill efficiently and the hunters obviously knew how to use them. A deer is far easier to kill than a bison.

The casualty counts from the Civil War remain the deadliest in the history of this nation with over 600,000 killed, many with "conical balls" as you ask. The men were highly practiced and those that survived the war had good marksmanship skills with knowledge of making shots at significant distances - or quite close. Rifles only improved after the Civil War and there were many chamberings and manufacturers other than the big bores typically used for bison. btw - scopes with "knobs for twirling" and even iron sights to correct for distance and wind were in use back then, so that is not a recent invention.

As others have pointed out, deer, elk, and other game animals were extirpated by hunting from many areas prior to the turn of the century in 1900. The major decline in game animals led to the passage of laws to regulate hunting.

I'd be willing to bet a $100 that if we picked 100 men at random off the street in 1870 compared to 100 off the street at random today, the oldtimers would handily outshoot the current crop of men.

Re: How many animals you think.... [Re: txtrophy85] #7236476 07/26/18 07:59 PM
M
Mr. T. Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
"I'd be willing to bet a $100 that if we picked 100 men at random off the street in 1870 compared to 100 off the street at random today, the oldtimers would handily outshoot the current crop of men."

Id say that in the 1870's you could pick 100 random woman off the ranches and they would out shoot us today. My mother who was born on a ranch in west Texas near Midland was the best shot I have seen in my life. It wasn't a "sport" to them, it was life and death in putting food on the table.

Last edited by Mr. T.; 07/26/18 08:00 PM.

Cabin rental in Pagosa Springs, Co.
Sleeps 10, If interested please PM me.
Re: How many animals you think.... [Re: jeffbird] #7236485 07/26/18 08:04 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: jeffbird
They seemed pretty effective at killing bison in the old days.

CWD grin

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: How many animals you think.... [Re: Mr. T.] #7236491 07/26/18 08:06 PM
J
jeffbird Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J
Originally Posted By: Mr. T.
"I'd be willing to bet a $100 that if we picked 100 men at random off the street in 1870 compared to 100 off the street at random today, the oldtimers would handily outshoot the current crop of men."

Id say that in the 1870's you could pick 100 random woman off the ranches and they would out shoot us today. My mother who was born on a ranch in west Texas near Midland was the best shot I have seen in my life. It wasn't a "sport" to them, it was life and death in putting food on the table.

Very good point.

Re: How many animals you think.... [Re: txtrophy85] #7236504 07/26/18 08:20 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Q
Back then cartridges were relatively expensive-you made them count. Lot more 'hunting' back then than now.

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: How many animals you think.... [Re: txtrophy85] #7236523 07/26/18 08:36 PM
K
kk66 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
K
I agree with the not as many as you would think. Looking back on the old timers I knew with as a kid, some of whom started hunting in the first 20-30 years of smokeless powder, they wouldn't shoot unless it was a very much sure thing. Most of their shots were probably at what today's considered bow range and at least in our area they mostly hunted with dogs.

Re: How many animals you think.... [Re: QuitShootinYoungBucks] #7236533 07/26/18 08:45 PM
T
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks
Back then cartridges were relatively expensive-you made them count. Lot more 'hunting' back then than now.

Hence not a lot of target practice was done.

Re: How many animals you think.... [Re: QuitShootinYoungBucks] #7236538 07/26/18 08:48 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal

Depends on the year. Most populations where gone or almost by 1900.

Agricultural has really propped up populations even with massive loses in habitat.

More deer in Texas now then people in 1900. Texas has had a substantial harvest of 1 mil deer a year I think for almost 20 years.

I wish we knew exact numbers of animals back then.

I would say success per shot was probably better back then because there where no laws dedicated to “fairness”. No restrictions

Re: How many animals you think.... [Re: BOBO the Clown] #7236544 07/26/18 08:54 PM
T
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Agricultural has really propped up populations even with massive loses in habitat.

More deer in Texas now then people in 1900. Texas has had a substantial harvest of 1 mil deer a year I think for almost 20 years.

I would say success per shot was probably better back then because there where no laws dedicated to “fairness”. No restrictions

I think there are more whitetail deer now in the U.S than when Columbus landed.

Don't forget about screw worms, etc. that were here as well that took a toll on populations.

From my understanding there were a lot of areas that didn't have deer, and not from over hunting, the type of terrain and habitat just didn't support deer.

Re: How many animals you think.... [Re: txtrophy85] #7236560 07/26/18 09:13 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown

I think there are more whitetail deer now in the U.S than when Columbus landed.

Don't forget about screw worms, etc. that were here as well that took a toll on populations.

From my understanding there were a lot of areas that didn't have deer, and not from over hunting, the type of terrain and habitat just didn't support deer.

Yelp that why it’s so hard to say. We have almost more hunters now then there we had people in 1850.

But in same time market hunters where needed to support human populations. And those guys had zero rules. Highly effective and efficient

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: How many animals you think.... [Re: jeffbird] #7236706 07/26/18 11:40 PM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity

I'd be willing to bet a $100 that if we picked 100 men at random off the street in 1870 compared to 100 off the street at random today, the oldtimers would handily outshoot the current crop of men.

Two different times, the men in the past were trained from a young age on how to shoot. Get the same qualified men of both eras and then shooting the weapons of their era and you wouldn't get the same result.

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: How many animals you think.... [Re: jeffbird] #7236715 07/26/18 11:47 PM
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
There was one man with a rifle that easily killed 51 buffalo in King county about 8 years ago. Apparently he did that easily in an afternoon with one rifle, imagine what one man today could do with the herd sizes of that era with the weapons of today.

[Linked Image]
Re: How many animals you think.... [Re: txtrophy85] #7237420 07/27/18 05:28 PM
K
kk66 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
K

But how many hunters today actually practice a lot. A lot of guys now will wear out a barrel in a year or two, but for the vast majority a box of shells will last 3 or 4 seasons. Overall more people shot more often back in the day, maybe not at targets but many of them hunted year round.

Re: How many animals you think.... [Re: kk66] #7237429 07/27/18 05:39 PM
T
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: kk66

But how many hunters today actually practice a lot. A lot of guys now will wear out a barrel in a year or two, but for the vast majority a box of shells will last 3 or 4 seasons. Overall more people shot more often back in the day, maybe not at targets but many of them hunted year round.

Some guys do the same thing. Not every hunter is a 3 weekends/one buck one doe hunter.

I shot my rifle 10 times last year 7 of them were at animals 3 were to Check zero for a put of state hunt

Re: How many animals you think.... [Re: txtrophy85] #7237897 07/28/18 02:37 AM
L
Leonardo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
L
Just take the numbers here when archery season starts and multiply.

Re: How many animals you think.... [Re: txtrophy85] #7237905 07/28/18 02:54 AM
B
BOONER Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
And when an animal was wounded they would keep after it until it was dead or gone! They wouldn’t just give up and go drink a beer, they knew they either found it or didn’t eat! I’m guessing the number was a lot lower than what it is today!

Re: How many animals you think.... [Re: txtrophy85] #7237923 07/28/18 03:29 AM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
It’s an interesting question.

My speculation would be that, volume-wise, there were a lot more misses and wounded animals back in olden times. No doubt the woodsmanship skills and familiarity with their weapons were superior, but two big factors offset these:

1)Volume of game and therefore, shots taken and
2)Vastly inferior weapons/ammo from both an accuracy and lethality standpoint.

The writings all the way from the Lewis and Clark Expedition journals, the mountain men, all the way up through those of Teddy Roosevelt and even Jack O’Connor are replete with accounts of missed and/or wounded game. It was simply an accepted fact of hunting. Game volumes and no/liberal bag limits meant opportunities were plentiful. Plus, almost everyone hunted - so even from simply a numbers perspective that meant a lot of missed/wounded game.

The market bison hunters were an exception. Bison were notoriously plentiful, not wary, and a herd could basically be shot out from one (or very few) positions. In addition, the market hunters for bison were deadly shots and became even moreso through the volume of shooting they did.

Today’s modern rifles, bullets, and optics are much more accurate, user-friendly and lethal. IMO this offsets a lot of the overall lack of skill and woodsmanship most of us have compared to the old-timers.

But that’s admittedly speculation/opinion.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: How many animals you think.... [Re: BOONER] #7238045 07/28/18 01:13 PM
T
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: BOONER
And when an animal was wounded they would keep after it until it was dead or gone! They wouldn’t just give up and go drink a beer, they knew they either found it or didn’t eat! !

Now how do you know that?

The famous brady buck(state record non typical) was wounded and found days later by another guy. The way I remember it is he went to the bar after and started telling folks about a giant deer he shot and wounded.

So that blows that theory

Re: How many animals you think.... [Re: jeffbird] #7238153 07/28/18 04:22 PM
Double Naught Spy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter

What are you talking about? Addressed your question directly on point with a simple photo.

The photo is in the time period asked about. The rifles back then had all the power and accuracy needed to kill efficiently and the hunters obviously knew how to use them. A deer is far easier to kill than a bison.

The casualty counts from the Civil War remain the deadliest in the history of this nation with over 600,000 killed, many with "conical balls" as you ask. The men were highly practiced and those that survived the war had good marksmanship skills with knowledge of making shots at significant distances - or quite close. Rifles only improved after the Civil War and there were many chamberings and manufacturers other than the big bores typically used for bison. btw - scopes with "knobs for twirling" and even iron sights to correct for distance and wind were in use back then, so that is not a recent invention.

As others have pointed out, deer, elk, and other game animals were extirpated by hunting from many areas prior to the turn of the century in 1900. The major decline in game animals led to the passage of laws to regulate hunting.

I think you have mixed several points. The stacked bison skulls is impressive, no doubt, but it doesn't attest to efficiently per se. It doesn't tell us how many animals were poorly shot and ran off or how many were simply gut shot and collected later. All the pic tells us is that a lot died as a result of the hunters, but nothing about overall efficiency.

The same goes for deer and elk being extirpated. You get a bunch of muttonheads shooting willy nilly and you can do a lot of damage to a local game population. It doesn't mean that they were good shooters or that they collected the game that they killed. It just means animals died.

Civil War deaths. Yep, over 600,000 killed. Was this due to the great shooting of the skilled gun toters of the time? Nope. Over 2/3 were killed by non-combat maladies such as disease, accidents, drowning, heat stroke, suicide, murder, execution. http://www.historynet.com/civil-war-casualties Most of the disease-related deaths were due to poor sanitary conditions and living in close proximity. Dysentery was a major killer. Then you had communicable diseases that killed as many as 40% of those who contracted it.

So for the 200K or so that were killed as a result of combat, a huge number of them didn't die from great shooting by the opposition, but because of getting wounded and dying from the infection that set in afterwards or as a result of receiving medical treatment. Being shot in the foot or arm could just as much result in death as being shot in the head. Such wounds today would often be considered minor by comparison and easily treatable, non-lethal wounds.

Never mind those that were killed directly and indirectly by bayonets, cannonfire, etc.

So the notion that because so many people died in the Civil War was because the shooters of the time were such good shots is really not supported. Surviving the Civil War didn't mean you were highly practiced and/or highly skilled as much as it just meant you were awfully darned lucky.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: How many animals you think.... [Re: dogcatcher] #7238179 07/28/18 05:11 PM
1860.colt Offline
emoji colt.45
emoji colt.45
Originally Posted By: dogcatcher
There was one man with a rifle that easily killed 51 buffalo in King county about 8 years ago. Apparently he did that easily in an afternoon with one rifle, imagine what one man today could do with the herd sizes of that era with the weapons of today.

confused2 so explain the hog problem. popcorn
flag

i'm postaddic
Re: How many animals you think.... [Re: txtrophy85] #7238180 07/28/18 05:14 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Hogs are smarter, much more prolific, more elusive, more adaptable, and don’t stand still as a group while you shoot their buddies.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: How many animals you think.... [Re: txtrophy85] #7238416 07/28/18 11:27 PM
T
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Just got done reading an article about a champion black powder shooter. He would shoot a pound of powder every range trip.

Hunters of the era couldn’t afford to shoot this much. Black powder cartridges were also valuable, not just in cost but also availability. Recreational shooting was only for the affluent . Not long ago you could buy 30-30 cartridges by the singles.

I think they were better woodsman but better shooters? I would argue that point.

Re: How many animals you think.... [Re: txtrophy85] #7238538 07/29/18 02:23 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
I would be willing to bet most shots were close range.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: How many animals you think.... [Re: txtrophy85] #7238548 07/29/18 02:34 AM
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
The blackpowder weapons of the 18th and 19th centuries were pretty accurate, but nothing compared to todays modern firearms. The military can take a kid off the street with no prior experience shooting a rifle and within 2 weeks he can be shooting in the expert class. I remember in Basic Training, young men that had never touched a rifle had qualified expert by the time they left Basic Training.

Here is some other info about the buffalo slaughters. https://rarehistoricalphotos.com/bison-skulls-pile-used-fertilizer-1870.

[Linked Image]
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide