T
TWarren Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: Brother in-law
I don’t eat anything I can smell from yards away

My little guy that I give all my meat to said it was tough and not very good

So you wouldn't eat elk? Those things reek of a barnyard and leave a very distinct odor.

Re: Can you eat Aoudad? [Re: TWarren] #7237258 07/27/18 03:09 PM
B
Brother in-law Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
Once I get a whiff I’m pretty much done

Re: Can you eat Aoudad? [Re: TWarren] #7237338 07/27/18 04:19 PM
D
ducknbass Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted By: TWarren
Originally Posted By: Brother in-law
I don’t eat anything I can smell from yards away

My little guy that I give all my meat to said it was tough and not very good

So you wouldn't eat elk? Those things reek of a barnyard and leave a very distinct odor.

Brother in law has clearly never driven through the panhandle beef country or through east Texas chicken country. Or he'd be vegan.

Last edited by ducknbass; 07/28/18 11:02 AM.
Re: Can you eat Aoudad? [Re: ChadTRG42] #7238118 07/28/18 03:00 PM
JTR Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
Sausage and hamburger mixed 50/50 with beef is very good. Even the backstrap tenderized and fried like deer meat isn't bad but the few I've eaten have been processed quickly after killing.

Re: Can you eat Aoudad? [Re: BuckRage] #7238864 07/29/18 04:18 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: BuckRage
I'm wondering how many have actually had it. I've had two and one was great and the other I made jerky from which tasted great as well but had a slightly "different" smell. Now I attribute that to its care. I wasn't able to get it on ice as quick as I normally would and it was probably in the 50-60 degree's. Buddy of mine made a dish out of it that was outstanding (the auodad I didn't get taken care of quickly enough for my liking). Another buddy shot a young ram and he said it was one of the best meats he's had. confused2

Ground aoudad tastes as close to beef as any game meat ever. I smoke the half grown ones and make chopped bbq out of them. I have fooled MANY bbq aficionados with it.

That said, aoudad is without any doubt the toughest meat on the planet. If you don’t grind it you better cook it a really long time.

I stand by my suspicion that meat processors talk aoudad down so they can get the meat for free from ignorant “believe everything idiots say” hunters. Mainly because they can keep the meat, but also because they can mix it with cheap beef burger and sell it as ground ribeye.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: Can you eat Aoudad? [Re: ChadTRG42] #7238889 07/29/18 04:53 PM
Q
QMC SW/EXW Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Q
I've shot them and ate them. Makes decent sausage. Field care is everything. Not as good as deer or elk but edible and in my humble opinion if you are going to shoot it then show respect for the animal by not wasting it.

Retired Navy Chief
NJROTC Instructor for Tascosa High School
Re: Can you eat Aoudad? [Re: ChadTRG42] #7238923 07/29/18 05:28 PM
E
Erny Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
E
It is very tough, the toughest meat I have ever had. However, it tastes great. Grind the entire thing and you will not be disapointed..

Re: Can you eat Aoudad? [Re: ChadTRG42] #7239822 07/30/18 04:53 PM
R
rob valle Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
I have had aoudad sausage and back straps and they are not bad at all.

Rob Valle
www.hillcotaxidermy.com
Originally Posted by Texsun
The three things you need in life are a good doctor, lawyer and taxidermist.

Re: Can you eat Aoudad? [Re: ChadTRG42] #7240458 07/31/18 07:02 AM
mulie_mike Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I always enjoy reading these threads on eating aoudad. The best palatable aoudad I've eaten was a young ewe that came off a ranch we protein feed heavily and I had about 18 beers first. Every thing I've tried from far west Texas was yuck.

Specializing in Free Range hunts in far west Texas for Native & Exotic Game. Hunts for All budgets with Financing available.

www.westtexashunt.com

Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/WestTexasHuntOrganization/
Re: Can you eat Aoudad? [Re: Erny] #7240799 07/31/18 04:27 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: Erny
It is very tough, the toughest meat I have ever had. However, it tastes great. Grind the entire thing and you will not be disapointed..

Exactly.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: Can you eat Aoudad? [Re: mulie_mike] #7240809 07/31/18 04:34 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: mulie_mike
I always enjoy reading these threads on eating aoudad. The best palatable aoudad I've eaten was a young ewe that came off a ranch we protein feed heavily and I had about 18 beers first. Every thing I've tried from far west Texas was yuck.

It ain’t what they eat out there. My first one came from my ranch off Dolan Creek road with nothing but range brush in its diet. Beef hamburger is the best way to describe it.

Currently I can eat any game meat I choose from my own ranches. We eat eland, pere david, aoudad, bison and wild pig. Eland and pere david are the best of all. But aoudad beats even axis.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: Can you eat Aoudad? [Re: therancher] #7241259 07/31/18 11:34 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: therancher
But aoudad beats even axis.

confused

was the axis bloated on the side of the road for a week before eating it maybe?

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Can you eat Aoudad? [Re: txtrophy85] #7241277 07/31/18 11:47 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: txtrophy85
But aoudad beats even axis.

confused

was the axis bloated on the side of the road for a week before eating it maybe?

Uhhh, no. Axis is the best “deer” meat. But most people think of beef when benchmarking red meat taste. And ground aoudad is muuuch closer to beef than axis. You just can’t eat an aoudad steak.

Last edited by therancher; 07/31/18 11:47 PM.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: Can you eat Aoudad? [Re: ChadTRG42] #7241292 08/01/18 12:00 AM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Beef is not my benchmark. Good game meat is better than beef to me. I would rather have deer/moose/elk/sheep backstrap than beef loin. IMO what many call a “gamey” taste in wild meat is just the flavor of real meat instead of the sterile, flavorless beef you get in the grocery store.

I don’t really see how meat that has to be ground into hamburger to be palatable can be said to be better than meat that does not. But, whatever.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Can you eat Aoudad? [Re: ChadTRG42] #7241352 08/01/18 01:20 AM
J
Jgraider Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
J
I've culled probably 100 aoudad, and have never found a way to fix it that I thought was half way decent.

I've also gotten to eat most every African antelope except eland, which is supposed to be the best over there. I find Axis to be the best tasting game meat I've ever had the chance to eat, including gemsbok, springbok, elk, and moose.

Re: Can you eat Aoudad? [Re: ChadTRG42] #7241400 08/01/18 02:06 AM
S
scottfromdallas Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S

Last few years I've had whitetail, axis, blackbuck & mule deer. I thought axis tasted about as good as whitetail and blackbuck. All were great. The mule deer was a little more flavorful but he was old as dirt. I'm blessed with a wife that actually likes game meat. She liked everything I bought home. it's been 20 years since I ate nilgai but I remember it being one of the best.

Re: Can you eat Aoudad? [Re: therancher] #7242435 08/02/18 12:46 AM
mulie_mike Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter

It ain’t what they eat out there. My first one came from my ranch off Dolan Creek road with nothing but range brush in its diet. Beef hamburger is the best way to describe it.

Currently I can eat any game meat I choose from my own ranches. We eat eland, pere david, aoudad, bison and wild pig. Eland and pere david are the best of all. But aoudad beats even axis.

The better tasting Aoudad I have eaten have been ones that have had access to a lot of protein and alfalfa that we feed. This I know in my experience as
a fact. You may have had your own experiences but these are mine.

Specializing in Free Range hunts in far west Texas for Native & Exotic Game. Hunts for All budgets with Financing available.

www.westtexashunt.com

Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/WestTexasHuntOrganization/
Re: Can you eat Aoudad? [Re: mulie_mike] #7242537 08/02/18 02:24 AM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T

The better tasting Aoudad I have eaten have been ones that have had access to a lot of protein and alfalfa that we feed. This I know in my experience as
a fact. You may have had your own experiences but these are mine.

As I said, my first aoudads were from within a few miles of where your hunters kill many of theirs. No protein or alfalfa. My aoudads here in mountain home have no supplemental feed either. The only thing I haven’t had is an aoudad that has been on supplemental feed. Man, I guess I’d really like them if I had lol.

Last edited by therancher; 08/02/18 02:24 AM.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: Can you eat Aoudad? [Re: ChadTRG42] #7242701 08/02/18 10:51 AM
Gringocazador Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Take Aoudad back strap, wrap in foil with a piece of green Mesquite. Cook for 2 1/5 hrs on BBQ. Take off, unwrap it, eat the green Mesquite and throw the Aoudad away

Thanks, Billy
Re: Can you eat Aoudad? [Re: ChadTRG42] #7242910 08/02/18 03:19 PM
P
PMK Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
as with any wild game, some have stronger flavors that don't suit everyone's palette. I have never tried Auodad, but I suspect it would be similar to barbado??? We used to do large organization BBQs and several we would kill a couple of spanish goats and a couple barbado to put on the pits next to brisket, chicken, pork & sausage. It was all fine table fair IMO but definitely different flavors that some people didn't care for but with the variety we served, everyone could find something they liked. Personally, I have yet to find a way to eat a rocky mountain mule deer as the flavor to me tastes like a gut shot rutted up white tail smells, maybe something in their diet, but I can't even stand the smell of it cooking. I don't know if the TX desert mule deer are similar?

"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Re: Can you eat Aoudad? [Re: ChadTRG42] #7243246 08/02/18 08:21 PM
P
Pittstate Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
I shot my own, skinned my own and aged my own....never touched water and aged 10 days in my garage fridge. It tasted fantastic. Any animal tastes bad when not taken care of properly.

Re: Can you eat Aoudad? [Re: ChadTRG42] #7246529 08/06/18 04:14 AM
D
DeputyDawg Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
D
After reading these replies, I don't what I did wrong.
I shot one years ago, had it processed and it was the BEST wild game I ever had.
Wife, kids and myself preferred to venison any time.
Easy to tell the difference when we opened a package that we couldn't read because the aoudad was SOO red in color.
Wish I had some now.

Re: Can you eat Aoudad? [Re: DeputyDawg] #7246749 08/06/18 02:29 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: DeputyDawg
I shot one years ago, had it processed and it was the BEST wild game I ever had.
Easy to tell the difference when we opened a package that we couldn't read because the aoudad was SOO red in color.
Wish I had some now.

My experience as well.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: Can you eat Aoudad? [Re: therancher] #7246951 08/06/18 05:16 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Wish I had some now.
Wish I had some now.

My experience as well.

There are some people out there that prefer a sirloin or chop steak to Ribeye.....just the way it is.

I think if you had a panel of judges though, aoudad wouldn't be on the top of the list compared to Axis, Nilgai, Oryx, Etc.

A lot of people don't care for Lamb or Cabrito but I love it and prefer it to a lot of other meats so I get what your saying.

I have eaten Aoudad on Several occasions but I think having it prepared by a actual chef would be a bit different and may be more enjoyable

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Can you eat Aoudad? [Re: SapperTitan] #7246977 08/06/18 05:36 PM
S
Stump_jumper Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: SapperTitan
You can eat pretty much any animal the question is do you really want to?
I ate a groundhog once or part of it. Pretty greasy. Aoudad and pigs at my lease go to the pig dump for the coyotes and occasional bald eagle. Last time I hauled a big sow there I was listening to sat radio and about 30 seconds from the dump "Little Piggies" by the Beatles started to play.

2017 Tundra 5.7 CM 4x4
2006 Champion 2200 Bay Boat
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide