Print Thread
Portions #7226404 07/16/18 11:03 PM
bill oxner Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
"Look out mamma, she's backing up."

"Supersize it."

How many times have you been at the checkout behind a fat woman with two full carts with fat food?

I'm here to tell you that you can't buy or eat a whole bunch of anything to make you lose or maintain weight. You can't exercise your weight into losing or maintain weight.

Watch your portions? Think they are important ? Ever heard of eating like a bird and crapping like a horse?

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Portions [Re: bill oxner] #7227211 07/17/18 06:38 PM
HOF Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Bill, I don't know why, but this is the hardest thing to control for me. It is tougher than quitting smoking. Tougher by a country mile. I know portion control and "what" I'm eating is the key to long term weight control. But "knowing" and "doing" are miles apart...

Searching the world over for the perfect Chile Relleno.
Re: Portions [Re: bill oxner] #7227311 07/17/18 08:06 PM
C
CitySlickerHunter Online Happy
Extreme Tracker
Online Happy
Extreme Tracker
C
SO SO TRUE! That is why for the last 18 months, I've weighed and measured EVERYTHING! It is crazy how you think you are only eating 3 oz. of nuts, but in reality you are eating 6 oz. It is real easy to lie to yourself. violin

"I can't be over gunned because the animal can't be over dead"-Elmer Keith
10/30/2012 I VOTED for The American
Re: Portions [Re: bill oxner] #7227447 07/17/18 10:10 PM
B
Bullfrog Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
After eating a footlong sub today, I thought the same thing Bill. I even said it to my co-worker. "You know if I stopped halfway, sure I would have been a little miffed but 5 minutes later I would have been fine" and I knew it.

Doesn't the human brain take a while to tell you that you're full anyway? That was one of my Dad's issues too. Both brothers. I'm guilty of it too. I'm working on it. Every time I walk by the mirror, I'm reminded that I'm mad to have gained this weight.

I watched West side story last night. Look at the difference in body mass in those days compared to now. It's crazy!

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by machinist
Man if I knew what Oxner knows I could throw away what I know
Re: Portions [Re: bill oxner] #7228531 07/18/18 07:45 PM
Exbellicus Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Part of it is allowing your stomach to shrink also. If I overeat even for one cheat meal the next day is extra tough because my stomach has stretched back out and I feel hungry easier.

Re: Portions [Re: Bullfrog] #7247184 08/06/18 08:23 PM
onlysmith&wesson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Eat the whole sandwich; without the bread. I know, then it ain't a sandwich, but you'll drop weight.

Seriously, my goal every day is zero carbs, zero sugar. I eat a lot, fat and protein. Some carbs through the vegetables I eat. Never hungry. Typical breakfast is four scrambled eggs with heavy cream and butter, 3-4 pieces of bacon. Dinner is steak, lobster tails, salmon, chicken, chopped sirloin with bacon and melted cheese slices with fresh green vegetables. 1-1/2 oz of tequila (or vodka), club soda and juice of fresh lime if I want a drink. There's stuff you can't have, but you'll never be hungry on this lifestyle.
Originally Posted By: Bullfrog
After eating a footlong sub today, I thought the same thing Bill. I even said it to my co-worker. "You know if I stopped halfway, sure I would have been a little miffed but 5 minutes later I would have been fine" and I knew it.

Doesn't the human brain take a while to tell you that you're full anyway? That was one of my Dad's issues too. Both brothers. I'm guilty of it too. I'm working on it. Every time I walk by the mirror, I'm reminded that I'm mad to have gained this weight.

I watched West side story last night. Look at the difference in body mass in those days compared to now. It's crazy!

An unethical shot is one you take, that you know you shouldn't.
Re: Portions [Re: bill oxner] #7287921 09/16/18 03:06 AM
S
Sparky45 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
For those of you who feel hungry in between meals and are trying to cut back, supplement with protein.
Good quality protein.
Firstly a gram of protein is only 4 calories unlike a gram of fat (like peanuts) which is 8 calories

Protein is satiable. It is more complex and when you eat a serving of protein, like 30-40 grams, your body slows digestion down a bit to accomate the time it takes to break it down

I lift weights 4-5 days a week. I also eat just under 3000 calories a day and I eat 4 meals a day plus snacks to get my 240 gram daily goal of protein.

If you would get a good protein shake , there is a brand called Premier that Walmart and Sams sells, they are good whey protein and taste good and are only 160 calories. I also eat a lot of a powdered protein callled Casein which when I mix it with almond milk makes a thick drink that keeps me from getting hungry at night.

If you are struggling to eat less, try to get at least 30 percent of your daily calorie intake from protein either by shakes or other snacks like beef jerky. Rotisserie chickens are also good cheap protein, I eat 2 of those a week on average.

Hope this helps

The only easy day was yesterday

NRA Life Benefactor Member
Re: Portions [Re: bill oxner] #7288421 09/16/18 09:37 PM
TKM Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
I agree with the using protein shakes. There are tons of them out there, some are junk, some are not. To stick to this it helps of you find one that actually taste good rather than like dried elephant dung. I have tried a lot and am partial to Optimum Nutrition Isolate in Chocolate. It may cost more than some but i like it and it works for me. Usually start my morning out with a blender, 8 to 10 ounces of cold water, one table spoon of honey, one heaping teaspoon of Creatine, half cup uncooked oatmeal, one to one and half scoops protein powder or one scoop protein powder and one scoop dried egg whites. Blend it up and good to go. Another thing i like if i have time is egg whites and oatmeal. Generally 1/2 to 3/4 cup liquid egg whites, 1/4 cup uncooked oatmeal in a skillet, cook and put on a couple of soft flour tortillas. Fills me up. If i stick with the protein powder plan and exercise i stay around 250 to 255.

Re: Portions [Re: bill oxner] #7288845 09/17/18 12:59 PM
D
DannyB Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted By: bill oxner
How many times have you been at the checkout behind a fat woman with two full carts with fat food?

Because of my flexible schedule I do most of the shopping. I've noticed that the heaviest people have the heaviest junk food in the buggy. I myself have become so anal about weight control, a battle I've won, I suppose my whole mindset is that food is for sustaining life, nothing else.

I saw a closeout on some knockoff of Little Debbie snacks a few days ago, six honey buns for a $1.00. I threw a box in the basket to make little treats for the dogs. I then put them back because I didn't want anyone I knew to see those in my basket. (I'm in Sulphur Springs. I always run into folks I know.)

On the protein, I read a couple of years ago in I think Men's Health magazine to do some math when buying powder protein. You want at least 80% protein per serving, protein grams divided by serving grams.

So far that percentage hasn't been found on the shelf at Wal-Mart. And it can be expensive as well, depending on where you buy it. I've found several whey isolate proteins at Puritan's Pride that are a bargain. I start my day with a shake and a few bites of natural peanut butter and roll out.

Re: Portions [Re: bill oxner] #7289361 09/17/18 09:18 PM
S
Sparky45 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
They also make powdered peanut butter
PB Fit
Great taste for shakes without all the fat

Re: Portions [Re: bill oxner] #7290544 09/18/18 08:49 PM
L
Leonardo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
L
I lose this battle everyday on portion control.

Re: Portions [Re: Leonardo] #7291128 09/19/18 01:28 PM
S
Sparky45 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: Leonardo
I lose this battle everyday on portion control.

Try the protein advice above.

If you really want to change, it has to come from inside you, nobody can talk you into it.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide