Forum Stats
63891 Members
45 Forums
419021 Topics
6072871 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#7224484 - 07/14/18 12:31 PM Kicking around buying Side by Side, need a Hunting Buggy
Gringocazador Offline
Outdoorsman

Loc: League City, TX/Lake Sam Raybi...
Got back on a Lease, been a few years. I still have 500 CC polaris 4wheeler I keep at my lake house. I'd like to get a side by side, wife could ride around also.

I need to get out and hit the dealers to see whats what. Will start with Polaris and Artic Cat, had good luck with 4Wheelers in the past.

I wish there were good options for Hybrid, Gas/Electric that were reliable. I thought the Bad Boy Buggy concept a few years back was a good idea but didn't seem to make a splash in the market best I could tell.

I may even look at Honda.

I know one thing, none of them are cheap.

It may make sense to look at buying another Jeep.

#7224522 - 07/14/18 01:44 PM Re: Kicking around buying Side by Side, need a Hunting Buggy [Re: Gringocazador]
BigPig Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: Forney, Tx
Canít beat a Kawasaki for reliability. But the Honda has a true geared transmission which would be nice

Originally Posted By: pegasaurus
Enjoy it while you can. One day you might be complaining about NOT getting random pop-ups in the morning. grin

#7224604 - 07/14/18 04:04 PM Re: Kicking around buying Side by Side, need a Hunting Buggy [Re: Gringocazador]
603Country Online   content
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Central Texas
Once you decide on a side by side, tell us what you got and why you chose it.

My cousin bought a Bad Boy buggy some years ago and absolutely loved it, but he loved it in dry weather. When the rains came in NE Louisiana, as they do during hunting season, he found the flaw in the buggy. It isnít much good in heavy mud. The wheels canít spin off that heavy sticky Louisiana gumbo mud and the batteries get depleted quickly. That said, in the watery thin mud of central Texas, the Bad Boy buggy might be just the thing. Personally, I liked how quiet it was. I may get one one of these days, since it seems to never rain here and mud hasnít been an issue in a long time.

Edited by 603Country (07/14/18 04:05 PM)

#7224696 - 07/14/18 06:50 PM Re: Kicking around buying Side by Side, need a Hunting Buggy [Re: Gringocazador]
Gringocazador Offline
Outdoorsman

I dang near bought a bad boy Ambush a few years back, I think that was the model. The one with the Batteries and gas motor. Seems like it had 60-70 HP Subaru engine and 48 volt electric. It was do dang expensive. Didn't seem be much a deal network. I guess that's why they aren't around anymore. Or I don't think they are.

I am not current what whats what with side by sides, seems like all I do is work and mow grass.

There are so many different one now days be sides the normal Japanese brands. Now they are John Deere, Mahindra, Club Cadet and probably more I don't know of. I ran across one online I found online called IntimIdator https://intimidatorutv.com/ supposed to be American Made, but not many dealers.

#7226421 - 07/16/18 06:19 PM Re: Kicking around buying Side by Side, need a Hunting Buggy [Re: Gringocazador]
Black Duck Dog Online   content
Tracker

Loc: Hunt county
Intimidators or the builders of the Mahindra Built in Batesville Ark. I love mine. Mahindra

#7226425 - 07/16/18 06:25 PM Re: Kicking around buying Side by Side, need a Hunting Buggy [Re: Gringocazador]
RattlesnakeDan Offline
Bird Dog

Loc: San Antonio
My buddy has an Intimidatoer diesel. It isn't fast but it is tough.

#7226810 - 07/17/18 06:52 AM Re: Kicking around buying Side by Side, need a Hunting Buggy [Re: Gringocazador]
Gringocazador Offline
Outdoorsman

One thing that has always bothered me about side by sides is noise. If I buy one which I probably will, I want one that's quite, if there is such a thing. The reviews I've read says the Honda 1000 is quite as any of them.

I had time during lunch yesterday to get out and look at a few but most dealers are closed on Monday. Hope to get some time later in the week.

#7228018 - 07/18/18 07:00 AM Re: Kicking around buying Side by Side, need a Hunting Buggy [Re: Gringocazador]
Vern1 Online   content
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Pettytown, TX, US of A
Kawasaki seems to think you need a snorkel on some of their SxS's.
If you look at the air box, the inlet has a hose that runs to the roll cage so it inhales right behind and above your head.
If you unhook that hose, you can actually talk to somebody while driving it!
It is before the aircleaner box so you will have to service your aircleaner element more often.
NRA Lifetime Member

#7229637 - 07/19/18 01:15 PM Re: Kicking around buying Side by Side, need a Hunting Buggy [Re: Gringocazador]
Tkshunting Offline
Green Horn

We love our Mule SX and they are relatively inexpensive.

#7229666 - 07/19/18 01:48 PM Re: Kicking around buying Side by Side, need a Hunting Buggy [Re: Vern1]
BigPig Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: Forney, Tx
Originally Posted By: Vern1
Kawasaki seems to think you need a snorkel on some of their SxS's.
If you look at the air box, the inlet has a hose that runs to the roll cage so it inhales right behind and above your head.
If you unhook that hose, you can actually talk to somebody while driving it!
It is before the aircleaner box so you will have to service your aircleaner element more often.

Never seen a factory Kawasaki with a snorkel or air intake where you are describing it.

Originally Posted By: pegasaurus
Enjoy it while you can. One day you might be complaining about NOT getting random pop-ups in the morning. grin

#7231432 - 07/21/18 07:46 AM Re: Kicking around buying Side by Side, need a Hunting Buggy [Re: BigPig]
Vern1 Online   content
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Pettytown, TX, US of A
Originally Posted By: BigPig
Never seen a factory Kawasaki with a snorkel or air intake where you are describing it.

It's factory stock on Mule 550's - yeah, it's old but maybe that's what keeps it chugging along??
There is a hose that runs between the air filter box and bottom of roll cage bar.

The one on the left side goes to the air box, the one on other side goes to the filter for cooling the drive belt.
There is a little vent right on the bottom of the roll cage right behind your head.

By just disconnecting the hose from the airbox, we went from shouting to talking while driving around.

This pic shows the intake screen underneath the top of rollbar - it's right behind your head between driver and passenger.

This shows the right side for cooling air intake for drive belt. Too much crap to get good pic of air fliter side but it's there. If you look closely between the valve cover and gas tank, you can see the other hose between roll bar and air cleaner box.

Edited by Vern1 (07/21/18 07:48 AM)
NRA Lifetime Member

#7239432 - 07/29/18 11:17 PM Re: Kicking around buying Side by Side, need a Hunting Buggy [Re: Gringocazador]
sdunshee Offline
Woodsman

Loc: murphy, tx: young/stephens cou...
My suggestion for utv lease beasts: Mule pro-fx EPS, Can am Defender hd10 or hd8.

#7239516 - 07/30/18 05:23 AM Re: Kicking around buying Side by Side, need a Hunting Buggy [Re: Gringocazador]
JKib Offline
Outdoorsman

Loc: SE Texas
I recently bought a Honda Pioneer 700-4. I went with this one because of the versatility of having a full size bed dump, which also converts to 2 relatively comfortable seats for my children with seat belts. I also like the leg room of the Pioneer. And it is really quiet compared to my in-laws Kawasaki Teryx

Edited by JKib (07/30/18 05:24 AM)

#7240042 - 07/30/18 03:35 PM Re: Kicking around buying Side by Side, need a Hunting Buggy [Re: Gringocazador]
OHanlon87 Offline
Outdoorsman

Loc: Grapevine, TX
I recently bought the Kawasaki pro fx eps ranch edition. Was going in for the base model, but if you plan on adding winch, extra lights or better tires, then the ranch comes with it all and you save in the long run. Go visit Irving Kawasaki and ask for Adrian. He gave me a great deal and great service. Best part, 3 year warranty compared to others at 6 months.

#7241517 - 07/31/18 11:27 PM Re: Kicking around buying Side by Side, need a Hunting Buggy [Re: Gringocazador]
DocHorton Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: DFW
I have a Bad Boy Ambush, it's the hybrid gas/electric combo and I love it. Nice and quiet when sneaking around hunting hogs at night or driving to the deer stand. Flip it over to gas mode when I'm filling feeders or whatever else. It's not fast, and the ride is kind of rough, but it works perfect for me. It's a 2013 model and the only issue I've had is a bad battery cable...other than that it's been fine and I leave at my land in a storage container. The batteries stay charged while I'm gone and I just charge it overnight while I'm there.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© 2004-2018 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide