Print Thread
DJ Farms #7223568 07/13/18 02:19 PM
G
GoBears870 Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
G
I was a duck/dove member a couple years ago but dropped it after getting double booked on a pond a couple times. Now I have a toddler at home, so the scouting and early wake ups for public are difficult and I don't have $1,500 for a lease. Has anyone done well out there the last few years?

Last edited by GoBears870; 07/13/18 02:19 PM.
Re: DJ Farms [Re: GoBears870] #7223680 07/13/18 04:35 PM
L
LarryCopper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
L
IMO it went downhill once they started booking. I understand the purpose (to ironically prevent multiple groups from hitting the same pond) and that is all good. But, back when it was first come first serve most folks wouldn't even try, especially if the weather was nasty. There were lots of consecutive days during the week that even the better ponds were not hunted and were allowed to rest. With the booking setup the way it is, at least the one year I was on it like that, the ponds are hammered daily. No rest, no time to build up numbers. The only way you can end up with a good hunt is if you got lucky on a big migration day, which isn't all that often and hard to predict with enough notice to get yourself booked.

That may be OK for a lot of folks. Having a guaranteed place to hunt is worth it, they don't really care if they see many ducks. I am not like those folks. I don't have to shoot a lot to enjoy it, but I sure do like to at least see decent numbers of what I'm after.

My 2cents

Re: DJ Farms [Re: GoBears870] #7223801 07/13/18 07:02 PM
Greg Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
About 13 or 14 years ago myself and 7 of my buddies joined up. Wasn't too far and looked like a good deal. A couple of us went out for a tour and rode around with a guy in a white truck who kept saying "now I'm gonna shoot you straight" and "I'll be honest with you". (Should have been my first red flag... why do you have to tell me you are gonna be honest with me? are you normally not honest?) Guy drives us around and says since you have 8 guys and like to duck hunt as well, I will give your group your "OWN" private spot on a small piece of land and only we would have access to it. We went and looked at it and it looked great. Even had a good size lake on it that bordered the neighbors land and he said we could dove and duck hunt even fish as long as we stayed on our side. The fishing was good and things were looking great until opening day, when another large group of hunters were all jammed in that field with us. They were hot and told us to leave. We told them we paid money just like they did. They had been told by the same guy this would be their private spot as well. We made the best of it and hunted one side while they hunted the other. The land owners to the south were upset we were there and started yelling at us once the shooting started. They blared music from their house the entire hunt to try and run us off. It was a good 5-600 yards away behind us, so we just let it go.

Fast forward to teal season. I'm set up on our side of the lake and pop a teal. Thats when all heck broke loose. The land owner lady to the North that shares the lake lost her mind when she heard me shooting. She was obviously whacked out on drugs as she came down her trail to her side of the lake yelling she was going to "F'ing kill me" as she aimed a revolver at me and then shot it over my head. She shot it in the air a couple more times as she came down toward the lake. Cussing the whole time... "I got a gun too you MF... I'll kill you" she screamed. Was the most fear for my life I have ever been in. I yelled at her from my side of the lake to put the gun down and told her we had paid money to hunt here. At this time she was about 80 yards from me and pointed it right at me, then quickly raised over my head and fired another shot up in the air. I almost shot her.

What stopped me? for one, I only had 6's in my shotgun and she was too far to really do anything. As stated I also had no cover. I figured if she had really wanted to kill me she would have been shooting right at me from the start instead of firing way over my head. I yelled to her to calm down and that I was leaving and packing up. When I got to the jeep, I called the police instantlly. They were there within 10 minutes and I filled out an entire police report on the trunk of their squad car. I could barely write it all down because I was shaking thinking I almost actually got into a true gunfight and how close this actually came to ending bad. Within 30 min, reinforcements had arrived and they were on their way going to the house... they had to break the locked gate to get into her property. They told me she was a known meth head and they had dealt with her before.

So after all of this, I called the guy who said he was gonna "shoot me straight"... I believe his name was David, but it was a long time ago and I'm not sure on that. I let him have it. I told him him we wanted our money back and to my surprise, he did actually mail the money back to each of my 7 friends. Mine however, well... it must have got lost in the mail as I never received it.

Now... was it DJ Farms fault the land owners to the south of this private field hated hunters and cranked their stereo? Nope. Was it their fault the Crazy lady to the North acted the way she did? Nope. But this was my experience hunting with their outfit. You are not the first one I have heard of being double booked or having issues out there. You said yourself they double booked you... more than once... already, not sure what makes you think they would not do it again. I cringe every time I hear of that place or drive past Leonard. and thats my 2cents

Re: DJ Farms [Re: GoBears870] #7223813 07/13/18 07:19 PM
P
Pittstate Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
In 2007 I use to hammer the dove, duck and geese on that lease. Also killed several coyotes. Someone found out I was hammering the geese and they shut that area down after early dove season. Then, like others said, started doing to the booking deal. I got out when that stuff happened.

Re: DJ Farms [Re: GoBears870] #7223886 07/13/18 08:27 PM
G
GoBears870 Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
G
Wow, that’s a story. One time we pulled up to a pond and saw more headlights. Guys came up to us and said they just bought the property a month ago and didn’t know about any leases. Maybe they were full of it, but it was an awkward encounter. I didn’t know if the double booking thing was still going on, so thanks for the info. Guess I needed more reminder to stay away.

Re: DJ Farms [Re: GoBears870] #7223915 07/13/18 09:08 PM
R
rickym Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Man I love shootin ducks, and I have been blessed with two places to hunt for basically free, for now. The day I have to think about spending the kind of money some of you fellas spend, my decoys will be sold or given away.

Re: DJ Farms [Re: GoBears870] #7226061 07/16/18 06:24 PM
N
ndhunter Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
N

Re: DJ Farms [Re: GoBears870] #7226180 07/16/18 07:29 PM
N
NativeTxn Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
N
GoBears870 did this happen to be at a small pond in the Celeste area off of CR 1050? If so that was me. My brother in law had just bought the place and didn't know anything about anyone leasing it. Checked into it and previous owner had leased it out and didn't let him know. Brother in law honored the lease through the end of the season. I have been out there several times and still knock down a few here and there.

Re: DJ Farms [Re: GoBears870] #7226277 07/16/18 08:58 PM
thomas_z71 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
I hunted that pond the last time I was on the lease which was maybe 5-6 years ago. If I recall that property had a couple smaller ponds as well? Like others, I jumped off when they started booking ponds prior. I had a newborn and worked so I probably only hunted 5 times total. EVERYTIME I called(again wasn't that often), I was told whatever pond I wanted to go to was booked. I was one hunter who had been on the lease maybe 3-4 years now so I wasn't a new hunter who they didn't know. I was a single and I know he didn't have to honor anything, but I honestly expected to be allowed to jump in with a group to hunt. I'm about certain the couple times I went I didn't fire a shot. I jumped ship after that year. I get what David was trying to do, you almost have to do that with a certain number of guys. I just expected to at least get a preferred pond a couple times during the lease. I mean what was stopping a group from just reserving same pond week in and week out? Anyway, I have no hard feelings for them, it was dam good years before and made it all worth it. To be within an hour of the house and get to hunt was a huge bonus considering the relatively low cost. Now it definitly seems like one of those "you get what you pay for" deals. Good luck to those that go, and as I've said everytime, respect the land! You don't own it!

Re: DJ Farms [Re: GoBears870] #7226333 07/16/18 09:55 PM
sig226fan (Rguns.com) Online Happy
duck & cover
Online Happy
duck & cover
I have helped David and Jay for many years, and will be doing a lot more this year as I have retired! I'd be glad to help anyway I can. I will have a thread about the lease in the next few days, still finalizing this years land/maps/etc.

Re: DJ Farms [Re: GoBears870] #7226420 07/16/18 11:19 PM
thomas_z71 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Vernon you were the one who got me on there. Showed me around, sold me a few things, great time. Maybe you can takeover the booking aspect of the duck part? I dunno.

Re: DJ Farms [Re: GoBears870] #7227632 07/18/18 12:54 AM
G
GoBears870 Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
G
NativeTxn I can’t remember the road but it was an old tree farm. If that was you we were shocked y’all let us stay that morning - that was very considerate. I was with my dad and father in law that day and they were saying “man if I just bought this place I’d tell us to scram!” We usually had a few at first light there but nothing afterward.

Re: DJ Farms [Re: GoBears870] #7231305 07/21/18 03:28 AM
N
nocknload Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
N
I just received my DJ Farms letter. Ha

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide