Page 1 of 2 1 2
Another vote for the Duke DP coon traps #7222939 07/12/18 09:15 PM
S
soonersorlaters Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
S
Got tired of complaining about coons invading corn/protein feeders and bought 6 traps and 2 set tools.

Tried them out this past weekend.

Baited with mini marshmallows and fruit loops.

Had a coon in all 6 traps on the first set.

Caught 2 more Saturday night. This was at one feed location. We ordered 12 more traps and plan to make a dent. With 4 protein stations and @ 20 spincast feeders going, we'll probably end up with more traps but this should make a nice dent.

Last edited by soonersorlaters; 07/12/18 09:17 PM.
Re: Another vote for the Duke DP coon traps [Re: soonersorlaters] #7222946 07/12/18 09:26 PM
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: soonersorlaters
... and @ 20 spincast feeders going ...

Just reading that made my back hurt.

Good job on the bandits! I have a couple of Duke's. I hate that "YOUR the bastard responsible for this!" look they give you, but I drop the hammer on them anyway. grin

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Another vote for the Duke DP coon traps [Re: soonersorlaters] #7222990 07/12/18 10:08 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
cheers Great work! Those traps do work very well. I am betting with that many feeders you will be at 80-100 coons by the end of 30 days with 16 traps set. I trapped one June in the Hill Country on 4 protein and 4 spin feeders with 5 live catch traps and caught 88 coons in the 30 days. There are more of coons on a place than what you realize till you start trapping them. I need to rebait mine since I saw new 2 sets of tracks in the silt on a road after this last rain. I had one coon on TC at a water trough before the rains that I could not catch so I know I have 3 now...at least.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Another vote for the Duke DP coon traps [Re: soonersorlaters] #7223137 07/12/18 11:46 PM
R
RattlesnakeDan Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
When I first started using them I didn't stake them down good enough. Had 1 disappear and then 5 days later it came back to me on the hand of a coon that was now stuck with his other hand in a new set. Hunger wins over caution when it comes to coons!

Just like Jesus, sometimes you gotta kill some hogs.
Lone Star Mesquite . com
RattleSnake Dan's Shredding Service
Re: Another vote for the Duke DP coon traps [Re: soonersorlaters] #7223167 07/13/18 12:07 AM
S
Simple Searcher Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Good job.
We caught over 150-200 a year for the first few years when we started trapping on a 300 acre place, we went at them hard. Now about 50-75 a year, they just keep coming. We joked that we had a coon an acre, probably more true than we thought.
If you are trapping at feeders and ever lacking bait, just use corn, that is what they came to the feeder for. Heck, they will rip a feeder box to shreds trying to get corn, we have never used anything else.

[Linked Image]

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark
Re: Another vote for the Duke DP coon traps [Re: RattlesnakeDan] #7223274 07/13/18 01:51 AM
S
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: RattlesnakeDan
When I first started using them I didn't stake them down good enough. Had 1 disappear and then 5 days later it came back to me on the hand of a coon that was now stuck with his other hand in a new set. Hunger wins over caution when it comes to coons!

I just finished rigging out the 2nd set of 6. Ordered some 3/32 7 strand wire on Amazon and ferrules. Created an adjustable loop on the tie down end so you can wrap it around t-post, tree, feeder leg, etc.

Run the cable around whatever you want to attach it to, feed the trap back through the loop and cinch it down.

Re: Another vote for the Duke DP coon traps [Re: stxranchman] #7223279 07/13/18 01:53 AM
S
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: stxranchman
cheers Great work! Those traps do work very well. I am betting with that many feeders you will be at 80-100 coons by the end of 30 days with 16 traps set. I trapped one June in the Hill Country on 4 protein and 4 spin feeders with 5 live catch traps and caught 88 coons in the 30 days. There are more of coons on a place than what you realize till you start trapping them. I need to rebait mine since I saw new 2 sets of tracks in the silt on a road after this last rain. I had one coon on TC at a water trough before the rains that I could not catch so I know I have 3 now...at least.

We're restricted to the weekends we can get down, hence buying more traps so we can get max results when we can go.

Re: Another vote for the Duke DP coon traps [Re: soonersorlaters] #7223298 07/13/18 02:09 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted By: stxranchman

We're restricted to the weekends we can get down, hence buying more traps so we can get max results when we can go.

That will work better than trapping day after day. I know it effected the deer eating when I catch coons every other day or so for a few weeks in past. Now when I catch one at a feeder it takes the deer a few days after that to show up at night in numbers. I ruined quite a few hunts when I had a coon in DP at the feeder I was hunting that morning and he was clanging around with the trap and chain on the feeder leg. Those deer do not like that. I am going to start moving my traps to open areas in the pens and put a ground anchor in to hold them in place.

Re: Another vote for the Duke DP coon traps [Re: soonersorlaters] #7223304 07/13/18 02:20 AM
K
krmitchell Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
K

I just finished rigging out the 2nd set of 6. Ordered some 3/32 7 strand wire on Amazon and ferrules. Created an adjustable loop on the tie down end so you can wrap it around t-post, tree, feeder leg, etc.

Run the cable around whatever you want to attach it to, feed the trap back through the loop and cinch it down.

Whatever you attach to, make sure they can’t get the anchor line caught up, otherwise they will tear their leg/foot off or chew it off. Learned this after a while of finding feet in the traps. The trap needs to be able to spin once they get caught without binding up. Hope this makes sense.

Re: Another vote for the Duke DP coon traps [Re: krmitchell] #7223315 07/13/18 02:34 AM
S
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: rexmitchell

Whatever you attach to, make sure they can’t get the anchor line caught up, otherwise they will tear their leg/foot off or chew it off. Learned this after a while of finding feet in the traps. The trap needs to be able to spin once they get caught without binding up. Hope this makes sense.

Makes sense. I presume the dual swivel links help with that to a degree. If they run around something to the point it's completely cinched up to make the swivels ineffective, it is what it is. We had 9 traps tripped and 8 caught. I'll take that all day and twice on Sunday. smile

Re: Another vote for the Duke DP coon traps [Re: soonersorlaters] #7223394 07/13/18 05:10 AM
T
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
We'll take them when you are done. If anyone is selling any between Allen and Dallas probably interested in next few weeks. We plan to buy some anyway if not.

Re: Another vote for the Duke DP coon traps [Re: soonersorlaters] #7223439 07/13/18 11:40 AM
R
Ranch Dog Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
R
I started using Z-Traps at the suggestion of a forum member several years ago and have eliminated my raccoon problem. I keep cameras on my protein and corn feeders, and if a coon shows up the traps come out, and they are gone.

I'm a nerd and keep all kinds of records for my 1D1 exemption. A little bit of math and I figure for every coon I see on camera at a protein feeder, that coon is costing me a dollar every night it is out there.

I'm also part of a native habitat restoration effort and got tired of the other landowners complaining about coons, but no one followed up on my suggestions. So, in a demonstration at a single feeder, I trapped nine coons in two nights. I do believe a cheap game camera is part of the effort because the work can be overwhelming on places with a lot of feeders. You got to know where to channel your efforts and when. I have maybe a coon show up once a month now at each of the various feeders, but my cameras live out there. Some feeders, depending on the habitat, haven't seen a coon in over a year, but the camera stays on the feeder. I pull the pictures once a week and set the traps when needed.

[Linked Image]
Re: Another vote for the Duke DP coon traps [Re: Txduckman] #7223510 07/13/18 01:03 PM
S
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: Txduckman
We'll take them when you are done. If anyone is selling any between Allen and Dallas probably interested in next few weeks. We plan to buy some anyway if not.

I anticipate this will be an ongoing effort. Buddy just handed me 6 new traps this morning to rig out.

Best deal I found and will be delivered to your door in 2 days.

Traps (6 count)

Get a couple of these set tools to save yourself some aggravation. Springs are very strong and I can't imagine setting these by hand in any kind of volume. I pained mine red to avoid laying them down and not being able to find them.

Set tool

Last edited by soonersorlaters; 07/13/18 01:04 PM.
Re: Another vote for the Duke DP coon traps [Re: soonersorlaters] #7223526 07/13/18 01:20 PM
P
Pittstate Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
Dang, i remember when they were $4.95 a piece!

Couple buddies, couple 22 mags and couple 12 packs of Coors light make a great night hunt this time of year! Thinking about biting the bullet and getting a suppressor for the 22 mag to see if I can get more kills in a night cheers

Re: Another vote for the Duke DP coon traps [Re: soonersorlaters] #7223533 07/13/18 01:30 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
That is a good price with shipping. I buy them here but have to add in shipping. http://www.pcsoutdoors.com/12packdukedogproofcoontrap-1.aspx
I set mine by hands to collapse the spring then grab the pin the latch to side of the trap with my leatherman. Makes it very easy to set the latch to the trigger then.

Re: Another vote for the Duke DP coon traps [Re: soonersorlaters] #7223573 07/13/18 02:21 PM
C
Coonhood Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
C
Absolutely no arguing that duke traps work but how much is your time worth? ...Why work harder when you can work smarter ... CoonHoods install in minutes and work without a second thought.

www.coonhood.com

Re: Another vote for the Duke DP coon traps [Re: Coonhood] #7223579 07/13/18 02:28 PM
S
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: Coonhood
Absolutely no arguing that duke traps work but how much is your time worth? ...Why work harder when you can work smarter ... CoonHoods install in minutes and work without a second thought.

www.coonhood.com

Seems like a solid product but it's not practical for our broadcast feeders. Even with cages, it doesn't stop them from hanging on solar panels, wires, etc. These coons need to be eliminated, not deterred.

Re: Another vote for the Duke DP coon traps [Re: soonersorlaters] #7223583 07/13/18 02:37 PM
C
Coonhood Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
C
Yea your right these are only for gravity , can’t help you yet on the broadcast feeders...I know those coons can drain your wallet quick.. trapping can reduce the damage but you’re embarking on a never ending battle. .

I definitely wish you guys luck!!

Last edited by Coonhood; 07/13/18 02:37 PM.
Re: Another vote for the Duke DP coon traps [Re: soonersorlaters] #7223585 07/13/18 02:39 PM
P
Pittstate Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
Challenge accepted!

Re: Another vote for the Duke DP coon traps [Re: Ranch Dog] #7223749 07/13/18 05:56 PM
S
Simple Searcher Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: Ranch Dog
I started using Z-Traps at the suggestion of a forum member several years ago and have eliminated my raccoon problem. I keep cameras on my protein and corn feeders, and if a coon shows up the traps come out, and they are gone.

I'm a nerd and keep all kinds of records for my 1D1 exemption. A little bit of math and I figure for every coon I see on camera at a protein feeder, that coon is costing me a dollar every night it is out there.

I'm also part of a native habitat restoration effort and got tired of the other landowners complaining about coons, but no one followed up on my suggestions. So, in a demonstration at a single feeder, I trapped nine coons in two nights. I do believe a cheap game camera is part of the effort because the work can be overwhelming on places with a lot of feeders. You got to know where to channel your efforts and when. I have maybe a coon show up once a month now at each of the various feeders, but my cameras live out there. Some feeders, depending on the habitat, haven't seen a coon in over a year, but the camera stays on the feeder. I pull the pictures once a week and set the traps when needed.

We were also told that coons cost $1 a day. For us, it is more like a nickle.

Last edited by Simple Searcher; 07/13/18 06:20 PM.

[Linked Image]

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark
Re: Another vote for the Duke DP coon traps [Re: soonersorlaters] #7223758 07/13/18 06:10 PM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
The coons also tend to show up around your camp area looking for scraps, so save at least one trap for around your camp area. We have 3 and overnight have filled the limits more than once.

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Another vote for the Duke DP coon traps [Re: dogcatcher] #7223760 07/13/18 06:13 PM
S
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: dogcatcher
The coons also tend to show up around your camp area looking for scraps, so save at least one trap for around your camp area. We have 3 and overnight have filled the limits more than once.

Funny you say that because we saw coon prints on the UTV seat last weekend. Haha. We'll certainly dedicate a couple around there.

Re: Another vote for the Duke DP coon traps [Re: soonersorlaters] #7223769 07/13/18 06:27 PM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S
Google earth anchors they are very handy and allow you to set a trap pretty much anywhere you would want. They also keep the coon from wrapping the cable around anything that could bind the trap and allow the coon to twist and rip its are off.

Re: Another vote for the Duke DP coon traps [Re: soonersorlaters] #7223875 07/13/18 08:14 PM
C
colt45-90 Offline
Texas colt45
Texas colt45
C
now that I have a feeder in the back yard, wish I hadn't sold my traps

hold on Newt, we got a runaway
Re: Another vote for the Duke DP coon traps [Re: SapperTitan] #7223941 07/13/18 09:40 PM
K
krmitchell Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
K
Originally Posted By: SapperTitan
Google earth anchors they are very handy and allow you to set a trap pretty much anywhere you would want. They also keep the coon from wrapping the cable around anything that could bind the trap and allow the coon to twist and rip its are off.

That’s what I switched to after talking with a trapper on the forum. I kept having only feet left in my traps and pictures of 3 legged coons walking around the feeder.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide