Forums46
Topics537,970
Posts9,731,199
Members87,051
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Gun stores closing, and many filing bankruptcy [Re: ChadTRG42] #7222718 07/12/18 05:08 PM
T
TDK Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
My business is upper end, during the Obama economy uncertainty my clients were holding onto their money. In the first quarter this year I made more than an entire year under Obama.

A.M. Little Bespoke Gunmakers LLC
Re: Gun stores closing, and many filing bankruptcy [Re: Scott W] #7222720 07/12/18 05:12 PM
K
Kthnx Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
K
Originally Posted By: Scott W
Originally Posted By: jeffbird
Originally Posted By: Scott W
Next the gun lobby is going to be working to get democrats back in office so they can sell guns.

I know your joking, but just in case someone ever let that idea into their head even for a minute, don't go there.

Yes, joking but not much surprises me these days.

That reminds me of a comedian saying "If a dentist makes money off of working on peoples teeth, why would you use a toothbrush recommended by 9 out of 10 dentists"

Remington 700 65 Creedmoor
Burris XTR II 5-25x50
Re: Gun stores closing, and many filing bankruptcy [Re: HWY_MAN] #7222743 07/12/18 05:37 PM
The Dude Abides Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: HWY_MAN
To be honest I haven't walked into a gun store in years, what I don't order on line I'll get from one of 3 friends of mine who have FFL's and operate out of their houses.

Yep...none of those guys are going out of business anytime soon.

Originally Posted by Superduty
I am still looking for the perfect apron, one with reinforced knee areas would be perfect.

Re: Gun stores closing, and many filing bankruptcy [Re: ChadTRG42] #7225222 07/15/18 09:20 PM
P
patriot07 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
P
Just my opinion - local gun stores jacked up the prices during the runs after sandy hook, Vegas, parkland, etc. Each time, internet stores raised their prices either nine at all or significantly less than local stores. Folks started ordering online after those experiences of feeling like local stores were ripping people off, and haven’t gone back. The online stores that raised their prices like CTD are suffering the same fate as local places who did that.

On one hand, I think local stores did that to try to keep some inventory on hand, so I don’t blame them. On the other hand, I know stores like B&S had Colt LE6920 after Sandy hook at like $1400-$1500, while you could get them for $1k online. It’s hard to justify supporting stores that operate that way.

Re: Gun stores closing, and many filing bankruptcy [Re: ChadTRG42] #7225227 07/15/18 09:31 PM
I
ImTheReasonDovesMourn Offline
Snarky Mark
Snarky Mark
I
I usually buy guns after I've drank a bunch of beer. If there was a local gun store in walking distance, I'd probably buy from them (if I was able to walk). Until they build one next door, I'll continue to check my emails on Sunday morning to see what kind of guns I bought on the internet Saturday night.

Originally Posted by KRoyal
Haha yea I polished that thing for hours.
Re: Gun stores closing, and many filing bankruptcy [Re: ImTheReasonDovesMourn] #7225234 07/15/18 09:41 PM
J
jlsbassman Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
J
Originally Posted By: ImTheReasonDovesMourn
I usually buy guns after I've drank a bunch of beer. If there was a local gun store in walking distance, I'd probably buy from them (if I was able to walk). Until they build one next door, I'll continue to check my emails on Sunday morning to see what kind of guns I bought on the internet Saturday night.

I'm right there with you, I do my best trading when I'm drinkin. Maybe my worst trading. Who knows.

Re: Gun stores closing, and many filing bankruptcy [Re: jlsbassman] #7225236 07/15/18 09:44 PM
I
Snarky Mark
Snarky Mark
I
Originally Posted By: jlsbassman

I'm right there with you, I do my best trading when I'm drinkin. Maybe my worst trading. Who knows.

It must be effective. I never even have buyer's remorse until my wife finds out.

Re: Gun stores closing, and many filing bankruptcy [Re: ImTheReasonDovesMourn] #7225257 07/15/18 10:08 PM
J
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
J

It must be effective. I never even have buyer's remorse until my wife finds out.

Sometimes I don't even remember till I have to pick it up.

Re: Gun stores closing, and many filing bankruptcy [Re: jlsbassman] #7225266 07/15/18 10:18 PM
I
Snarky Mark
Snarky Mark
I

Sometimes I don't even remember till I have to pick it up.

Beer is awesome.

Re: Gun stores closing, and many filing bankruptcy [Re: ImTheReasonDovesMourn] #7225395 07/16/18 12:35 AM
J
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
J
Quote:
Beer is awesome.

That's why I have 3 safes now.

Re: Gun stores closing, and many filing bankruptcy [Re: jlsbassman] #7225402 07/16/18 12:42 AM
I
Snarky Mark
Snarky Mark
I
Quote:
Beer is awesome.

roflmao I'm up to 2 safes and closet with a lock in the door roflmao

Re: Gun stores closing, and many filing bankruptcy [Re: ImTheReasonDovesMourn] #7225430 07/16/18 01:15 AM
J
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
J
Quote:
Beer is awesome.

roflmao I'm up to 2 safes and closet with a lock in the door roflmao

This could be another good gun buying night. Any good deals out there.

Re: Gun stores closing, and many filing bankruptcy [Re: ChadTRG42] #7225544 07/16/18 04:11 AM
G
Goodo Texas Boy Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
G
Hello,

It boils down to education and race. 4 years ago, I owned zero guns and I am African American. I owned zero guns because my family and upbringing had a zero tolerance against guns. My entire large family never ever discussed having a gun. Guns were bad and I better not ever get caught discussing or having one as teen. As man, that way of thinking of changed. Now I own and educate myself and family about guns.

I know +60 people with homes that have no guns because they don't see value in guns and don't understand the education it takes to own and use one.

People are not buying guns cause they do not see the reason to buy guns. Its much better to take a vacation.

If you trying to sale guns, go to neighborhoods where people do not have guns and Sale and educate them on guns. Go in the neighbor hood and take minorities out hunting. Many minorities do not have fathers to teach them about outdoors and hunting. Change your marketing strategy and target the people who do not own guns and who do not hunt. Why keep trying to sale guns to people who already hunt and own guns.

Last edited by Goodo Texas Boy; 07/16/18 04:14 AM.
Re: Gun stores closing, and many filing bankruptcy [Re: ChadTRG42] #7225572 07/16/18 06:10 AM
I
Snarky Mark
Snarky Mark
I
eeks333 popcorn

Re: Gun stores closing, and many filing bankruptcy [Re: Goodo Texas Boy] #7225573 07/16/18 06:12 AM
I
Snarky Mark
Snarky Mark
I
Originally Posted By: Goodo Texas Boy
Hello,

It boils down to education and race. 4 years ago, I owned zero guns and I am African American. I owned zero guns because my family and upbringing had a zero tolerance against guns. My entire large family never ever discussed having a gun. Guns were bad and I better not ever get caught discussing or having one as teen. As man, that way of thinking of changed. Now I own and educate myself and family about guns.

I know +60 people with homes that have no guns because they don't see value in guns and don't understand the education it takes to own and use one.

People are not buying guns cause they do not see the reason to buy guns. Its much better to take a vacation.

If you trying to sale guns, go to neighborhoods where people do not have guns and Sale and educate them on guns. Go in the neighbor hood and take minorities out hunting. Many minorities do not have fathers to teach them about outdoors and hunting. Change your marketing strategy and target the people who do not own guns and who do not hunt. Why keep trying to sale guns to people who already hunt and own guns.

Holy hell. I don't even know where to start, so I won't.

Re: Gun stores closing, and many filing bankruptcy [Re: Goodo Texas Boy] #7226359 07/16/18 10:15 PM
J
jeffbird Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J
Hello,

GTB,

I really appreciate you sharing this post. There are a lot of very important issues and valuable insights in it.

Re: Gun stores closing, and many filing bankruptcy [Re: Goodo Texas Boy] #7226375 07/16/18 10:25 PM
C
colt45-90 Offline
Texas colt45
Texas colt45
C
Hello,

good luck

hold on Newt, we got a runaway
Re: Gun stores closing, and many filing bankruptcy [Re: Goodo Texas Boy] #7226380 07/16/18 10:31 PM
Paluxy300blk Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker

Thank you for the very insightful post.

A vacation, a new smart phone, the latest gadget on Amazon... The masses don't see the value in buying guns.

Re: Gun stores closing, and many filing bankruptcy [Re: Paluxy300blk] #7226744 07/17/18 04:34 AM
G
Goodo Texas Boy Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
G
Originally Posted By: Pineywoods2theHood

Thank you for the very insightful post.

A vacation, a new smart phone, the latest gadget on Amazon... The masses don't see the value in buying guns.

Pineywoods2theHood,

I know sooo many people that do not have guns and don't want nothing to do with them. And I know over 100 people who never ate deer meat before (including myself).

There is a free website called www.facebook.com. This free website is worth about $50 Billion and have about 2.19 billion users. Lets call these users customers.

How is it possible a free website is worth above $50 billion?

The answer is due to selling the 2.19 billion customers stuff through very high (extremely high level) level psychology marketing tactics.

If you are a gun shop owner, your only goal should be to sale guns and equipment to these 2.19 billion users and learn how to hire internet marketers to sell your product. Your selling angle can be "Eat Deer Meat".

I think this a little bit too much information to share. lol

Last edited by Goodo Texas Boy; 07/17/18 04:35 AM.
Re: Gun stores closing, and many filing bankruptcy [Re: J.G.] #7227121 07/17/18 05:07 PM
D
DallasShootingSupplies Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D
Originally Posted By: FiremanJG
Obama was the best gun salesman, ever.

That P.O.S. is out of office.

Citizens do not feel near as threatened toward their second amendment rights.

Supply is still up, as leftovers from Obama years. Demand is lower, under Trump. Prices fall, gun stores' overhead costs have not fallen.

Economics 101, I learned in 1997.

This up

Gun margins are insanely tiny, less than 10% of most stuff.

Plus local guys can't compete with volume dealers. Big guy will have guns on sale lower than dealer cost for the small guy.

Brick and mortars are going out of business left and right. At least 6 businesses I used to thread for are now gone.

As others have said, the internet dealt them the death blow. The price and tax you save offset your transfer cost.

No way you can do well having rent, employees etc and compete with the internet.

I stopped doing all retail on Gun stuff years ago.

www.class3machining.com
Barrel Threading
50k+ barrels done. Zero Baffle Strikes
www.facebook.com/barrelthreading
www.instagram.com/class_3_machining/
Recommended by Silencerco, Capitol Armory, Hansohn Brothers, Gemtech, Ally Outfitters, The Firearm Blog etc
Re: Gun stores closing, and many filing bankruptcy [Re: DallasShootingSupplies] #7227193 07/17/18 06:22 PM
A
aggiehunter03 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
A
Originally Posted By: DallasShootingSupplies
Originally Posted By: FiremanJG
Obama was the best gun salesman, ever.

That P.O.S. is out of office.

Citizens do not feel near as threatened toward their second amendment rights.

Supply is still up, as leftovers from Obama years. Demand is lower, under Trump. Prices fall, gun stores' overhead costs have not fallen.

Economics 101, I learned in 1997.

This up

Gun margins are insanely tiny, less than 10% of most stuff.

Plus local guys can't compete with volume dealers. Big guy will have guns on sale lower than dealer cost for the small guy.

Brick and mortars are going out of business left and right. At least 6 businesses I used to thread for are now gone.

As others have said, the internet dealt them the death blow. The price and tax you save offset your transfer cost.

No way you can do well having rent, employees etc and compete with the internet.

I stopped doing all retail on Gun stuff years ago.

One of my buddies used to be a manager at Academy in College Station. I don't know about today but back then they marked firearms up $1 above cost then hoped to sell you accessories and ammo.

Re: Gun stores closing, and many filing bankruptcy [Re: Goodo Texas Boy] #7227582 07/18/18 12:04 AM
J
JCB Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
J
Change your marketing strategy and target the people who do not own guns and who do not hunt. Why keep trying to sale guns to people who already hunt and own guns.

No, just NO! That's not how it works, that's not how it works at all! LOL!!

First off most gun owners are NOT hunters anyway. The bulk of firearm sales are handguns which means they are mostly intended for self defense and target shooting, NOT hunting.

And your marketing strategy would leave you out of business probably before you ever open the doors. You don't try to sell ice to Eskimos and you don't try to sell guns to people who have no interest in them. That's why buisnesses pay big money to retail market analysts to see who their market is so they can target those people. That's why your internet search results create ads on sites like THF that try to sell you things of possible interest to you based on your search history.

You gotta know your product and you gotta know your customer base so you can pimp your products to those people.

Re: Gun stores closing, and many filing bankruptcy [Re: JCB] #7227677 07/18/18 01:27 AM
I
Snarky Mark
Snarky Mark
I
Originally Posted By: JCB
Change your marketing strategy and target the people who do not own guns and who do not hunt. Why keep trying to sale guns to people who already hunt and own guns.

First off most gun owners are NOT hunters anyway. The bulk of firearm sales are handguns which means they are mostly intended for self defense and target shooting, NOT hunting.

And your marketing strategy would leave you out of business probably before you ever open the doors. You don't try to sell ice to Eskimos and you don't try to sell guns to people who have no interest in them. That's why buisnesses pay big money to retail market analysts to see who their market is so they can target those people. That's why your internet search results create ads on sites like THF that try to sell you things of possible interest to you based on your search history.

You gotta know your product and you gotta know your customer base so you can pimp your products to those people.

This is what I didn't have the patience or inclination to explain. Thank you, J.

Re: Gun stores closing, and many filing bankruptcy [Re: JCB] #7228155 07/18/18 02:13 PM
G
Goodo Texas Boy Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
G

Thanks JCB,

I respect your comments.

Re: Gun stores closing, and many filing bankruptcy [Re: JCB] #7228214 07/18/18 03:30 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Q

Actually I get what he's saying. While you can't stop targeting your base, his idea of targeting new consumers is not out of line. It would take a lot of work but aren't we always talking about 'take a new person hunting'? Those new people become fellow gun owners and hunters.

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide