6038423 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#7221834 - 07/11/18 02:21 PM Gun stores closing, and many filing bankruptcy
ChadTRG42 Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Lewisville, TX
I have spoken to several of my main suppliers, and they are having MULTIPLE gun stores and shops closing and filing bankruptcy on them. All were dealing in the firearms business. I was talking to them over some of my invoices that had gone just over 30 days, and they were making sure payment was coming!! That's when this topic came up. I find it interesting how cyclical and dramatic the firearms business can be. Feast or famine. But other areas of the business, like ammo, are still hot (and I hope it stays that way!). Have you seen anything on this?

Custom and Precision Ammunition!!
www.DallasReloads.com
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL

#7221838 - 07/11/18 02:24 PM Re: Gun stores closing, and many filing bankruptcy [Re: ChadTRG42]
KRoyal Offline
Texoma Legend

Loc: Sherman/North of Dallas
Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42
I have spoken to several of my main suppliers, and they are having MULTIPLE gun stores and shops closing and filing bankruptcy on them. All were dealing in the firearms business. I was talking to them over some of my invoices that had gone just over 30 days, and they were making sure payment was coming!! That's when this topic came up. I find it interesting how cyclical and dramatic the firearms business can be. Feast or famine. But other areas of the business, like ammo, are still hot (and I hope it stays that way!). Have you seen anything on this?

I was talking with Morgan last week and he was telling me how the hearing protection act, even though its dead now, put a lot of new suppressor companies out of business when everyone thought it would pass. No one was buying suppressor everyone was waiting so most of the new companies went under. Now that the HPA is dead I think suppressor business is picking back up. What a difference a few months makes.

#7221858 - 07/11/18 02:45 PM Re: Gun stores closing, and many filing bankruptcy [Re: ChadTRG42]
TxHunter80 Online   content
Tracker

My local gun shop was just talking about how slow it had been. There's another close to me that went out of business not long ago. The market is really soft, internet sites are often allot less than the local shops, and it's summer. Casual shooters aren't in gun mode in July. There's also no panic buying going on. It all adds up to lost sales

#7221866 - 07/11/18 02:57 PM Re: Gun stores closing, and many filing bankruptcy [Re: ChadTRG42]
DocHorton Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: DFW
From what I've read the margin on firearms is pretty thin. Hard for a gun shop to compete with online sales, especially considering you can order any gun online and get it in 2 days versus a local gun store who may or may not have what you want in stock.

It's been a long time since I bought a gun in a store...probably 15 out of the last 17 were bought online or private sale.

#7221888 - 07/11/18 03:31 PM Re: Gun stores closing, and many filing bankruptcy [Re: KRoyal]
ImTheReasonDovesMourn Offline
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Greenville, TX
Originally Posted By: KRoyal

I was talking with Morgan last week and he was telling me how the hearing protection act, even though its dead now, put a lot of new suppressor companies out of business when everyone thought it would pass. No one was buying suppressor everyone was waiting so most of the new companies went under. Now that the HPA is dead I think suppressor business is picking back up. What a difference a few months makes.

Since when is the HPA dead? This is the first I've heard of it.

#7221905 - 07/11/18 03:39 PM Re: Gun stores closing, and many filing bankruptcy [Re: DocHorton]
ChadTRG42 Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Lewisville, TX
Originally Posted By: DocHorton
From what I've read the margin on firearms is pretty thin. Hard for a gun shop to compete with online sales, especially considering you can order any gun online and get it in 2 days versus a local gun store who may or may not have what you want in stock.

It's been a long time since I bought a gun in a store...probably 15 out of the last 17 were bought online or private sale.

Yes, Doc, there is almost no mark up on guns. Some Glocks only get about $35-$40 mark up on them. I've seen some rifles get about $50-$60 mark up on them to sell. The only way to make money selling firearms is high volume. I was surprised at how low of profit there are on firearms.

Custom and Precision Ammunition!!
www.DallasReloads.com
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL

#7221909 - 07/11/18 03:43 PM Re: Gun stores closing, and many filing bankruptcy [Re: ImTheReasonDovesMourn]
KRoyal Offline
Texoma Legend

Loc: Sherman/North of Dallas
Originally Posted By: ImTheReasonDovesMourn
Originally Posted By: KRoyal

Since when is the HPA dead? This is the first I've heard of it.

Since the Las Vegas shooting and Hillary had to open her male chicken hole and say that if he had a suppressor it would have been much worse. They tabled it "indefinitely" which pretty much means its dead.

#7221910 - 07/11/18 03:49 PM Re: Gun stores closing, and many filing bankruptcy [Re: ChadTRG42]
Cleric Offline
Veteran Tracker

Gun sales wonít keep you in business unless you move a lot of units. Itís accessories and services that is your profit generator. The problem is people are tired of ARs. During the Obama years the threat of ban moved ARs at a premium. Now the market has shifted. There Was a lot of capaicty for guns and accessories added and now demand has dropped which causes prices to drop. There are a lot of high fixed costs stores that are about to have some problems.

#7221932 - 07/11/18 04:29 PM Re: Gun stores closing, and many filing bankruptcy [Re: ChadTRG42]
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Bexar/Gillespie, hunt Terrell
Probably unrelated, but maybe not - the BassPro flyer I got today, "2nd amendment sale" or something or other, was mostly guns on sale. confused2
...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28

#7221984 - 07/11/18 05:26 PM Re: Gun stores closing, and many filing bankruptcy [Re: ChadTRG42]
JCB Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: M.I.A.
But other areas of the business, like ammo, are still hot (and I hope it stays that way!). Have you seen anything on this?

Obviously you would know better than me, but this I haven't seen at all. Now days I go into Walmart, Academy, BPS, Cabelas, etc. and the shelves are stocked to the ceiling with ammo and usually some sort of sale or rebates being offered as well. Have also seen everyday prices coming down too. Heck Walmart in the last few weeks knocked 50% off selected ammo and it wouldn't sell so they knocked off another 50% for a grand total of 75% off before it was all gone. Have been seeing both brass and steel FMJ 9mm for under $10 per 50 rounds for the first time in years as well and those are every day prices not sale prices.

No doubt gun sales have bottomed out though. I see things pop up in the classifieds here on THF at reasonable prices and wonder why they take so long to sell when just a couple of years ago they would fetch 20%-30% more.

#7222027 - 07/11/18 06:05 PM Re: Gun stores closing, and many filing bankruptcy [Re: ChadTRG42]
SapperTitan Online   content
Taking Requests

Loc: Killeen/Ft Hood, TX
Too many good deals online and its easier and quicker.

#7222098 - 07/11/18 07:15 PM Re: Gun stores closing, and many filing bankruptcy [Re: ChadTRG42]
thorn4570 Offline
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Fort Worth
I think the dealers are gonna have to change their way of thinking. I have had to when it comes to swapping and selling on here. Especially arís. Itís kinda sad when you see these small businesses trying to sell regular arís for 900 and up. Them days are gone for now.

But try to find Speer 325 grain AE bullets for desert eagle and you canít. Lol

#7222104 - 07/11/18 07:23 PM Re: Gun stores closing, and many filing bankruptcy [Re: ChadTRG42]
gusick Offline
Pro Tracker

They have been selling the same guns for decades. AR-15s are so 1970, the first people who bought 1911s were riding horses.

They need to start selling something new, like guns that shoot caseless cartridges.

#7222145 - 07/11/18 08:10 PM Re: Gun stores closing, and many filing bankruptcy [Re: ChadTRG42]
spg Offline
Pro Tracker

My dad and I have a gun shop he runs it when I'm working, the majority of profit comes from repairing guns, cleaning, or someone brings parts in a bag and can't reassemble what they disassembled. We don't sale many guns unless we have a democrat president. AR's are the most common still today being sold in our shop. 10% of customers want custom handloads which can be uneconomical if they have a odd cartridge I don't have dies for plus not having the right powder. I've took the liberty almost 2 years ago to attend a gunsmith lathe course since then I've trued a few actions and chambered/threaded barrels for close friends I shoot with but with my normal job and the time it takes me to complete a rifle is at least 3 months so I'm out of pocket $$$$'s for a minimum of 3 months. Its tedious work for not a lot of money.

#7222224 - 07/11/18 09:50 PM Re: Gun stores closing, and many filing bankruptcy [Re: ChadTRG42]
Scott W Offline
Woodsman

Loc: Cedar Park, TX
Next the gun lobby is going to be working to get democrats back in office so they can sell guns.

I've been watching too much House of Cards lately.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© 2004-2018 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide