Print Thread
Friend's parents asked me to kill their pigs #7220264 07/10/18 05:03 AM
K
Kiteman Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
K
I am north of Dallas and my friend's parents have a lot of land and have a huge hog problem. They also have deer, turkey, dove, and duck, but they only will allow me to shoot the hogs...and that sucks.

I have no experience with hog hunting. I have a 12 gauge that can handle a 3.5" shell and I know I probably need to put out corn and some kind of protective blind. But that's about it. I also know hogs can have brucellosis, but I don't know how big of a concern that is?

In general I don't know what the heck I am doing. I can choose NOT to do any of this all of course, but I would like to as I enjoy hunting, although all of my hunting experience is small game and birds. Thanks for any advice.

Last edited by Kiteman; 07/10/18 05:04 AM.
Re: Friend's parents asked me to kill their pigs [Re: Kiteman] #7220265 07/10/18 05:10 AM
T
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
How much land and how far is it from you? What county? Do they have planted fields like wheat or it is just pasture such as grass, weeds and trees?

You will need a rifle eventually and plenty of affordable options but depending on setup a shotgun from a popup can work.

Re: Friend's parents asked me to kill their pigs [Re: Txduckman] #7220277 07/10/18 06:31 AM
P
pigplinker Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
P
Originally Posted By: Txduckman
How much land and how far is it from you? What county? Do they have planted fields like wheat or it is just pasture such as grass, weeds and trees?

You will need a rifle eventually and plenty of affordable options but depending on setup a shotgun from a popup can work.

x2

One other option for concentrating the hogs to one area might be a pig pipe. I have built two out of one stick of 4" sched 40 PVC pipe. I have been using for years and they still work great. The pigs will roll these around for hours and you don't loose a bunch of corn. They know where they can get a meal.

If your trying to help a friend then help him/her out. It will pay down the road in some form or another.

Supplies for Pigpipe
1-4" sched 40 PVC pipe 10' long
2-4" cleanout fittings with plugs.
2-4" caps
2-3/8" heavy eye bolt 3"+/-
8-3/8" nuts
4-3/8" large flat washers.
1-3/16-1/4 wire cable 20' or so.
8-cable clamps to make up two cables from the wire cable.

1. Cut pip in half. 2. drill hole in center of 4" cap insert a 3/8 eye bolt with two nuts and flat washers on each side off hole in cap. Tighten the nuts down to where there is just enough space between the washers for the eye bolt to turn freely (to much free play may cause the eye bolt to rip out of cap). tighten the nuts on each end up close and jam nut each side so the spacing stays put. I mean tighten the jam nuts "tight" they will receive severe stress when the hogs are making crop circles with the pipes. 3. glue the cap on one end of the pipe. 4 glue cleanout fitting to other end of pipe. 5 drill 1/2-5/8" holes 4-6 on the pipe near 3-4" to the cleanout end. 6. loop one end of 1/2 the cable into the eye and tighten with 2 cable clamps. 7. make same loop in the other end of cable so you can drop over a short T-post or metal stake tall enough the pigs can not get up and over. They will roll your pipe off somewhere and you with have to look for it.Fill with corn 15-20# and screw cleanout plug into the fitting. You are ready to find a spot large enough to let them roll the pipe for hours. It only drops a few kernels at a time so they have to work at it. Drive a short T-post or metal stake 3-4' into the ground just enough to hold the pipe while they roll it.

Almost forgot repeat with remaining supplies and build second pipe for two locations. I use two with in 300yds and they both get hogs to them.

PM your # if you would like a pic of a pipe. I can't seem to get this to load pics.

Last edited by pigplinker; 07/10/18 06:33 AM.
Re: Friend's parents asked me to kill their pigs [Re: Kiteman] #7220285 07/10/18 08:51 AM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S
Protective blind? bolt

Re: Friend's parents asked me to kill their pigs [Re: Kiteman] #7220297 07/10/18 10:33 AM
D
Dave Davidson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Their request is easier said than done.

Without a sense of urgency, nothing ever happens.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley, Rancher Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Re: Friend's parents asked me to kill their pigs [Re: Kiteman] #7220526 07/10/18 03:17 PM
P
Pig_Popper Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
P
Originally Posted By: Kiteman
I am north of Dallas and my friend's parents have a lot of land and have a huge hog problem. They also have deer, turkey, dove, and duck, but they only will allow me to shoot the hogs...and that sucks.

I have no experience with hog hunting. I have a 12 gauge that can handle a 3.5" shell and I know I probably need to put out corn and some kind of protective blind. But that's about it. I also know hogs can have brucellosis, but I don't know how big of a concern that is?

In general I don't know what the heck I am doing. I can choose NOT to do any of this all of course, but I would like to as I enjoy hunting, although all of my hunting experience is small game and birds. Thanks for any advice.

I would kill a couple of pigs, go for the easy ones on the first hunt.

After bagging a couple relay to Friends parents the scope and breadth of their problem along with your personal accomplishment of having helped them out and then let them know it’s a larger undertaking than what your prepared to sign on for.

Point being you helped them out and gave them your honest evaluation of how you feel and you can move beyond it with friendship intact.

Otherwise YOU are going to invest a lot of time and money into this and you’ve already mentioned your not equipped or of the desire to do it, longer term...

Goodluck

Last edited by Pig_Popper; 07/10/18 03:17 PM.

This space is For Sale - inquire within ...
Re: Friend's parents asked me to kill their pigs [Re: Kiteman] #7220552 07/10/18 03:38 PM
O
oldstyle244 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
O
Hogs are pretty easy. And can be a lot of fun. Grab a few friends and some cold ones and head on out there.

Set up some corn or other attractant and then sit back and drink some beers with friends until they show up, then let loose on them.

If they have a lot of land, then move to another spot the next night or maybe even the same night.

You don't need anything fancy.

Re: Friend's parents asked me to kill their pigs [Re: oldstyle244] #7220904 07/10/18 09:01 PM
Double Naught Spy Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: oldstyle244
Hogs are pretty easy. And can be a lot of fun. Grab a few friends and some cold ones and head on out there.

Set up some corn or other attractant and then sit back and drink some beers with friends until they show up, then let loose on them.

One of the more unsafe ideas I have seen floated in a while. There isn't much worse that you can do is to get some friends together, start drinking, and then hunting on somebody else's property. This is a recipe for disaster.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Friend's parents asked me to kill their pigs [Re: Kiteman] #7221015 07/10/18 10:51 PM
CharlieCTx Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
That guy SapperTitan above is the Ft. Hood Bogeyman with his thermal equipped 870. Don't need a rifle, but it does afford a higher round count and some distance advantages.

You certainly can eat them, the under 150lb'ers are good, but sounds like you're trying to do more herd thinning than freezer stuffing.

I hadn't shot anything without feathers in forever until I took my two boys on their first hunt and Senor' Sooiiee walked out in front of us a few years ago, I'd never even seen a feral hog before. I've only shot two ducks since then. smile Hog hunting at night is the most fun you can have with your clothes on.

Don't take the buddies and brews advice, but I'm sure anyone on here would be happy to go help you get started.

Kel-Tec RFB + Griffin Sportsman Ultra Light 300 + Pulsar Apex XQ-50
M&P-10 + AAC Cyclone
Remy 700 + Leupold VX3 3.5x10x50 CDS
Re: Friend's parents asked me to kill their pigs [Re: Kiteman] #7221358 07/11/18 06:08 AM
K
Kiteman Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
K
I definitely want to eat them, and that is the only reason I offered to kill some to this family. I just want to be safe about it, as I don't know what I am doing.

Thanks for the responses so far. Also, I love drinking beer, but I do not ever drink when handling a gun, so we can ignore that response altogether.

Last edited by Kiteman; 07/11/18 06:11 AM.
Re: Friend's parents asked me to kill their pigs [Re: Kiteman] #7221818 07/11/18 06:59 PM
G
garyrapp55 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
G
Cook it like you would production pork and you are ok. Rifled slugs I would think but ask SapperTitan, he is limited to shotgun and does well with it. Is your friend going to help his parents?

Re: Friend's parents asked me to kill their pigs [Re: Kiteman] #7221819 07/11/18 07:02 PM
T
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: Kiteman
I definitely want to eat them, and that is the only reason I offered to kill some to this family. I just want to be safe about it, as I don't know what I am doing.

Thanks for the responses so far. Also, I love drinking beer, but I do not ever drink when handling a gun, so we can ignore that response altogether.

Are you going to answer the questions I asked? Just trying to help. Need to know terrain and setup to determine best methods. Corn feeder is your best bet.

Re: Friend's parents asked me to kill their pigs [Re: Kiteman] #7221897 07/11/18 08:34 PM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S
If you plan to eat all the hogs you kill your not gonna be able to put even a tiny dent in the population.

Re: Friend's parents asked me to kill their pigs [Re: SapperTitan] #7224387 07/14/18 03:01 PM
V
Vern1 Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
V
Originally Posted By: SapperTitan
If you plan to eat all the hogs you kill your not gonna be able to put even a tiny dent in the population.

Truth ^^

Do your homework first.
A good place to start is Google Earth for an aerial view.
You can easily find water holes which will be important now in summer heat.
The biggest thing to look for is safe shooting directions so you are not shooting towards somebodies house, barn, etc.
You can print out the overhead view and use it when you scout the place.

A good SXS or 4 wheeler will make life easier here.
When you scout the area, find the water holes and look for hog wallows - a sure sign they are in the area.
A game camera can verify where/when they are in area.
As you get established, maybe a feeder with timer so you can narrow time frame down some.
Also check trails to/from water or feeders for sign, tracks, etc.
They are opportunistic and will go for easy food.
Just when you think you have them figured out, they will do something different!

Daytime works but I only hunt after dark now.
I would get some slugs, a scope mount and red dot sight (so you can keep both eyes open), green light for gun and some kind of NV hand scanner.
You can scan with the hand scanner to actually see/watch them at night.
You only need one hand scanner for multiple shooters.
One tip I learned, use your left eye with the hand scanner so you are not night blind in your shooting eye.
The scanner alerts the shooters where to point for the shot.
Turn on the light while pointed up above the pigs and ease down on them.
You probably need to shoot quickly - if they have been hunted before with lights, they learn pretty quickly.

Good luck, have fun, be safe, respect the land owners and enjoy yourself.
Fortunately, there are plenty of targets for you!

Hope some of that helps.

Cheers,
Vern1
Texans since The Old 300 in 1824
NRA Lifetime Member
Re: Friend's parents asked me to kill their pigs [Re: Kiteman] #7224978 07/15/18 03:15 PM
A
allan50 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
A
Sounds like you need someone to come help out. I don’t have Thermal but I do have Night Vision. I can bring a couple of AR and we could take care of a few. Even help buy corn

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide