Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: High Fence vs. Free Range Hunts [Re: okokmoon] #7222816 07/12/18 06:49 PM
J
JJH Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J
Rancher: just tried your website. Doesn’t seem to work?

Re: High Fence vs. Free Range Hunts [Re: JJH] #7222894 07/12/18 08:24 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Sorry I let it expire. Don’t do much business off it anymore.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: High Fence vs. Free Range Hunts [Re: therancher] #7222908 07/12/18 08:43 PM
J
JJH Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J
Gotcha

Re: High Fence vs. Free Range Hunts [Re: okokmoon] #7248822 08/08/18 03:22 AM
I
ImBillT Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
I
Growing up driving through the hill county I wanted to hunt on a high fence place because that would be where the big deer were. Now my buddy’s in-laws own one and I have no interest in hunting it all, even though I’ve been offered the chance to shoot a cull buck there for free. Their curls are bigger than any WT I’ll likely ever kill. The place is crawling with monsters and it’s not a challenge to kill one. A specific one might take you the better part of a season if you had bad luck, or might even get shot first by someone else, but to walk away with a trophy is nothing but writing a check. That is what most high fence places exist to do...insure that the high roller client with lots of money and very little hunting time gets his trophy. I don’t have a problem with it, but it’s not for me. I do the majority of my hunting on public land or some small parcels I’ve secured permission to hunt without paying for a lease. The deer fewer and trophies rarer still. I prefer it though. To each his own.

Re: High Fence vs. Free Range Hunts [Re: ImBillT] #7248833 08/08/18 03:30 AM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: ImBillT
Growing up driving through the hill county I wanted to hunt on a high fence place because that would be where the big deer were. Now my buddy’s in-laws own one and I have no interest in hunting it all, even though I’ve been offered the chance to shoot a cull buck there for free. Their curls are bigger than any WT I’ll likely ever kill. The place is crawling with monsters and it’s not a challenge to kill one. A specific one might take you the better part of a season if you had bad luck, or might even get shot first by someone else, but to walk away with a trophy is nothing but writing a check. That is what most high fence places exist to do...insure that the high roller client with lots of money and very little hunting time gets his trophy. I don’t have a problem with it, but it’s not for me. I do the majority of my hunting on public land or some small parcels I’ve secured permission to hunt without paying for a lease. The deer fewer and trophies rarer still. I prefer it though. To each his own.

You just articulated the perfect opinion for a hunter. And described the situation perfectly. Thank you.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: High Fence vs. Free Range Hunts [Re: Smokey Bear] #7248872 08/08/18 05:34 AM
B
BOONER Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted By: Smokey Bear
Interesting discussion in this thread. There is a fervent following on both sides of the fence. I harbor no ill will toward the high fence crowd, but, it's not my gig. I am a low fence, fair chase guy. High fences have been in Texas for quite some time. They continue to gain traction as our culture in general becomes more and more a culture of instant gratification. There are parallels to the steroid age in modern sports in that, it is a much quicker and easier way to produce above average results than trying to cross paths with one of the rare animals nature smiles on. As long as no laws are broken, I've got no beef with it, however, I don't judge the trophies from behind a game proof fence as equal accomplishments when compared to fair chase trophies. The rare frequency of natural occurrence is a large part of what a trophy is to me. Rather than cast stones at what each other does though, I think the sensible path is to gravitate to hunting areas that fit your preferences.

Amen!!!

Re: High Fence vs. Free Range Hunts [Re: okokmoon] #7248950 08/08/18 11:44 AM
A
Age N Score ? Offline
Tracker
Tracker
A
popcorn This never gets old....

I Feed Indian Corn. The deer love it and all the colors make them stay at the feeder longer.
Re: High Fence vs. Free Range Hunts [Re: Age N Score ?] #7248971 08/08/18 12:22 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: Age N Score ?

This should now be a banned topic.

you can't paint all high fence places with the same brush just like you can't do it with low fence places. Big Difference between a 250 acre high fence place that releases pen raised deer to be shot that same season and a 2500 acre ranch that has a high fence and a supplemental feeding program but all native genetics.

There is also a big difference between a 50 or 100 acre LF tract in LLano county vs. a 5000 acre pasture out in Shackleford county that sees little hunting pressure.

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: High Fence vs. Free Range Hunts [Re: txtrophy85] #7253548 08/13/18 01:01 AM
B
BOONER Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted By: txtrophy85
Originally Posted By: Age N Score ?

This should now be a banned topic.

you can't paint all high fence places with the same brush just like you can't do it with low fence places. Big Difference between a 250 acre high fence place that releases pen raised deer to be shot that same season and a 2500 acre ranch that has a high fence and a supplemental feeding program but all native genetics.

There is also a big difference between a 50 or 100 acre LF tract in LLano county vs. a 5000 acre pasture out in Shackleford county that sees little hunting pressure.

Amen to that! The legit HF’s get a bad reputation because some people are either not smart enough or just too hard headed to admit exactly what you explained above! I’m not a HF guy but I don’t have anything against it. Some of them are a joke but the others shouldn’t be judged by the actions of a few. If I ever get drawn for the Chap then I will be a HF guy! banana

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide